[WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.13c [TURBO]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.13c [TURBO]

Postby TheRailgunner » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Frequently Asked Questions - READ THIS FIRST!:

Spoiler:

A brief roadmap for upcoming versions of The Trooper:

Spoiler:

The Trooper's weapon upgrades:

Spoiler:

A gameplay showcase video for v0.2.4.12:
Spoiler:

An older gameplay showcase video, courtesy of Glaice:
Spoiler:

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Buglist:
Spoiler:

To-do:
Spoiler:

I am currently trying to give The Trooper a Zandronum-compatible version - if this interests you, the reader, follow either this link or this other, RDND-compatible link. The Zandronum versions are current to The Trooper 0.2, lacking zoom features and quick-melee.

The Trooper is a simpler, more relaxed project compared to Project Operation Unthinkable or Helsturm; it's not heavy on mechanics nor boasts a massive (theoretical) arsenal - it's just you and these ten guns, plus a knife and sword (which you can quick-melee with using User1 and User2, respectively):

Surfeit Torment - A powerful explosive revolver originally belonging to Unthinkable's Sergei, this thing puts down most weaker enemies in one or two shots. If you're not willing to get too close to the explosive death, altfire launches a highly accurate spread-shot. Has a magazine of 6 rounds. Complete - it does almost everything!

XM27 - A lightweight submachine gun with an obnoxiously high rate of fire, nothing sends lead faster than the XM27. This automatic weapon can also fire 5-round bursts using altfire. If you pick up a second one, you can dual-wield it! Complete - lead is my bread!

Avtomat Sokova, model of 1946 - Lightweight, cheap, and durable, the AS-46 is a reliable workhorse weapon, suitable for most enemy types. It can also fire up to 3 highly explosive grenades before needing a reload. Has a magazine of 20 rounds. Complete, ready to lock and load!

Marco Automatic Rifle System, Model "B" - A fearsome assault rifle manufactured by an infamous war profiteer, the MARS B offers high damage, range, and accuracy, along with three ROF settings, usable via the User 5 key. It comes with the MARS G Automatic Grenade launcher, which also has three ROF settings. The MARS B can be aimed for greater accuracy, and has a magazine of 48 rounds, with its grenade launcher's holding 8 rounds. Complete - the New Standard of Infantry Firepower™.

Pulsar-D - A burst-fire weapon chambered in the heavier 6x60mm Hildebrand round, the Pulsar-D takes out enemies with greater range and precision than the AS-46. Paced bursts are ideal; rapid firing can mute the advantages of using this burst rifle. Can be aimed using the Zoom key. Has a magazine of 36 rounds. Complete, ready for field issue!

Luxor Heavy Machine Gun - A powerful 50-caliber machine gun, the Luxor offers unparalleled firepower in a package impossible to control - unless you mount it with Altfire. Has a magazine of up to 180/360 rounds. Complete - lay waste to them all!

FN Mk. 48 Mod. 0 - A general-purpose machine gun chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO, the Mk. 48 is the up-sized sibling of the venerable FN Minimi/M249 Light Machine Gun. Has a magazine of 100 rounds. Complete - don't have too much fun!

Sturmman M97 - One of few in its class, the M97 is a double-barreled automatic shotgun...that is, ridiculously powerful and nearly impossible to control. Still, it offers unrivaled damage output at close range, making this a monster you'll be coming back to often. It can fire slugs as well as shells. Has a magazine of 20 rounds. Complete - help, it knocked me over and I can't get up!

KSR VSK7 Nightshade - A versatile, semi-automatic shotgun with considerable stopping power, superior handling, and a tight spread. Can be used to fire explosive shells. Has a magazine of 8 rounds. Complete, already spent all of my shells in testing.

Ayanami/KSR VSK9 Thunderstrike - The successor model to the VSK7, the Thunderstrike is an automatic/burst-fire shotgun that fires in a tighter spread. Its true-inline stock makes it more controllable in any firing mode than any comparable weapon. Like the VSK7, the Thunderstrike can fire both slugs and explosive shells, switchable via the User 5 function, but can also switch between burst-fire and full-auto with User 6. Complete - Overkill Grade: Vodka Blood.

UAC Prototype Model 302 "Last Salvo" Handheld Explosive Railgun - Exactly what it says on the tin, this weapon fires a massive explosive slug at incredible speed, carving a bloody pathway between you and your target. Can fire perforated slugs that spread after firing. Complete, just don't fire at close range, it WILL kill you.

Lost Guardian DGA-3 - A prototype design, this directed energy weapon fires seven powerful beams in quick succession. Best used at close to medium range, as the beams lose coherence at longer ranges. With the right battery, it can be configured to fire single beams that maintain coherence much more properly. Has a magazine of 6 bursts or 30 rounds. Complete - not responsible for excessive melting.

Nishimura Seven - The mass-production variant of the M0 Garand, this semi-automatic battle rifle has pinpoint accuracy and deals incredible damage to match. Altfire takes advantage of the N7's signature feature - the ability to fire bullets with an antimatter payload, annihilating anything its sights are fixed on. Can be scoped-in with the Zoom key. The scope can also be removed with the User 6 key, which allows use of the rifle's iron sights for close(er)-range combat. Has a magazine of 15 rounds. Complete - peace through superior firepower!

Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis - The literal arm of an alien machine, this powerful beam rifle deals massive damage at any range. Kicks like a bionic mule. Can be scoped-in with the Zoom key. Complete, could do with a more effective explosive radius...or a smaller explosion.

Crimson Spectre - A massive antimatter cannon with no apparent function or purpose other than pure, unadulterated destruction. IFF tags of unknown manufacture prevent this beast from vaporizing its wielder via collateral damage from its main blast, though the leftover bursts of matter annihilation can't be good for you. I wouldn't fire this thing while standing on any sort of narrow platform, if I were you. It can also turn its antimatter cores into shootable mines - just remember that the mines don't care if you're friendly. Complete - that humming sound it makes, that's completely normal.

Weapons that I haven't yet updated the OP with: Machiavellian Disciple, Armat M41A Pulse Rifle

CREDITS ARE IMPORTANT, TOO (these also need updating likely):
DoomNukem: Surfeit Torment base, firing sounds, and ammo pickups, Sturmman drum, Pulsar-D base, GPMG sight
PillowBlaster: Various sounds, some code references (too many to list)
Sgt. Shivers: Old GPMG HUD sprites, Sokova 46 reload sprites, base for Nishimura Seven sprites
YukesVonFaust: New GPMG HUD sprites
Brohnesorge: New GPMG sounds, general idea for new GPMG
wildweasel: Various code references, some sounds (also too many to list), Revenant tracer fix
zrrion: Lost Guardian, Sharpshooter arm, muzzle flashes
Seidolon: New Lost Guardian pickup, voxel pickups
Enjay: Revenant tracer fix (code)
Neccronixis: New Last Salvo and Sharpshooter Arm sprites
HazeBandicoot: Crosshairs
Blox: Shiny shiny Nishimura Seven sprite
Carbine Dioxide: Considerable testing and feedback, base for GPMG pickup
Albertoni: Zandronum version testing and feedback
Glaice: Gameplay video
Mr. Enchanter: New Lost Guardian spriteset
Doomguy5th: New Lost Guardian spriteset
rmory: Luxor HMG spriteset
willkuer: Luxor HMG spriteset
Deimus: Nishimura Seven iron sights
Cryomundus: Lost Guardian tweaks
Robinson Brewery: logo base

If I'm forgetting to credit anyone for anything, please let me know and I will promptly rectify the issue.

Leap ass-first into danger here! Last updated 12 September 2018.

Things you should strongly consider adding to your autoload after The Trooper:

Xaser's Universal Damage Numbers - for the Doom mod pretending it's a lot more modern!

m8f's Target Spy - Health bars, enemy rarity indicators, advanced targeting - I don't play this mod without them.

Stuff I haven't updated/isn't compatible with the current version of The Trooper:

Spoiler:
Last edited by TheRailgunner on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:27 am, edited 131 times in total.
TheRailgunner
Sunglasses Security Guy knows when you're necrobumping.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.5 [COMEBACK]

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Oh nice, a new thread started. I noticed in earlier versions that the Last Salvo's pickup sprite didn't change with the Doom 2016 HUD sprite. I think it's the same for the Aries Sharpshooter.

I also think that the N7 could find a place in the main arsenal some where, possibly spawning in place of the Last Salvo every now and then?
Carbine Dioxide
True force, all the king's men could not put it back together again.

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.6 [DGA-3]

Postby TheRailgunner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:55 am

Carbine Dioxide wrote:Oh nice, a new thread started. I noticed in earlier versions that the Last Salvo's pickup sprite didn't change with the Doom 2016 HUD sprite. I think it's the same for the Aries Sharpshooter.

I also think that the N7 could find a place in the main arsenal some where, possibly spawning in place of the Last Salvo every now and then?

I honestly don't have new pickups for them yet.

I might put the N7 somewhere in the main set, but I want to reacquire the better-angled M14 sprite I had before the HDD fried before I move it to the main mod. In the mean time, I redid the DGA-3's sprites and made some minor balance changes.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.6 [DGA-3]

Postby AdmiralAjax » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:38 am

Pretty sure this is dev version funkyness, but when I fire the AS46 and the VSK7, they don't spend any ammo using primary fire.
AdmiralAjax
DISQUALIFIED

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.7 [Luxor HMG]

Postby TheRailgunner » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:30 pm

AdmiralAjax wrote:Pretty sure this is dev version funkyness, but when I fire the AS46 and the VSK7, they don't spend any ammo using primary fire.

Download it again - it was a bug regarding FBF_USEAMMO not being set for hitscans.

I've added the Luxor Heavy Machine Gun - a high-damage, high-ROF weapon that sacrifices mobility for raw firepower. As it comes, it's terribly inaccurate, has ridiculous recoil, and weighs down the player while held, but once mounted with Altfire, it gains incredible accuracy, becomes much more controllable, and removes the player's ability to move until unmounted. It is incredibly rare, occasionally replacing the Super Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, and Plasma Rifle - no enemy drops it.

The M83 hasn't been moved yet - I'll do it soonish.
TheRailgunner

Postby Someone64 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:22 am

I would suggest making melee faster and more reliable or increasing ammo counts. On some megawads it can really be quite hard to play when there are not that many ammo pickups and a lot of demon type enemies. Can be specially annoying when you miss because they move around like blue hedgehogs when they see you. Can also be pretty difficult in maps where melee is your main or only weapon. I suggest making the quick melee's startup faster and buffing the damage a little.
Someone64

Postby Cryomundus » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:31 pm

I think you oughta tone down the use of A_SetAngle and A_SetPitch, its really off-putting for me for some reason, and slightly nauseating.

Oh, and you might want to standardize the regular ammo drops (things like shells, clips, the stuff you should get often), it feels like you're barely scraping by, and that's coming from someone who micromanages ammo like crazy all the time. Oh, and the size of the ammo sprites could be a bit bigger too, they're very, very easy to overlook.

One last thing, why does the Automat Sokova have a clip, it's really weird to just randomly reload it in the middle of a firefight. I think it's also the only gun that does that too.
Cryomundus

Postby TheRailgunner » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:20 pm

Cryomundus wrote:I think you oughta tone down the use of A_SetAngle and A_SetPitch, its really off-putting for me for some reason, and slightly nauseating.

Oh, and you might want to standardize the regular ammo drops (things like shells, clips, the stuff you should get often), it feels like you're barely scraping by, and that's coming from someone who micromanages ammo like crazy all the time. Oh, and the size of the ammo sprites could be a bit bigger too, they're very, very easy to overlook.

One last thing, why does the Automat Sokova have a clip, it's really weird to just randomly reload it in the middle of a firefight. I think it's also the only gun that does that too.

I might reduce them somewhat, but I don't want the weapons to be flat-out easy to control - otherwise people would have no problem abusing the innate accuracy of weapons in the mod. I also don't want to use bullet spread; I only use it on the Luxor to handicap its viability while not mounted.

Standardizing the ammo drops just feels too basic - I don't want the assault rifle to share ammo with the heavier machine guns and the explosive revolver, for example, and the most common ammo types spawn the most frequently by far (I often find myself with too much ammo for the shotguns in particular).

All weapons will eventually have reloads - the next version will have reloads for the Pulsar-D and DGA-3, as I have animations ready for them and have already given one to the Pulsar on my end; reloads for the Surfeit Torment, VSK7 Nightshade, and M97 will come afterward (I had a version with a reload for both the Pulsar and Surfeit Torment, but it died with my old HDD).

Other changes:
*M83 GPMG max ammo increased to 350, 500 with backpack
*GMPG recoil reduced by 33%
*Luxor HMG max ammo increased to 250, 300 with backpack

This is mostly to assist in these weapons' roles as temporary firepower increases while you gather ammo for other weapons.
TheRailgunner

Postby Cryomundus » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:56 pm

Sorry, I meant standardizing more in the sense of how Doom does it.

A clip is always 10 bullets, a box of bullets is always 50, shells are always 4, shellbox is always 20, that sorta thing.

My issue with the setangle and setpitch is that if you're patient, the gun pretty much always returns to the original firing position, so using the guns well means using them very slowly to offset all the jerking around. That combined with the fact that you don't always have a lot of ammo, it just feels like you're either throwing away all your ammo, or you're gettting motion sickness/headaches from the screen jerking around too much.

Really tho, even if you don't remove it, I've taken to doing so myself as the constant jerking around of the screen is far too irritating to deal with for long play sessions.
Cryomundus

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8 [Nishimura Seven]

Postby TheRailgunner » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:49 am

I've updated the Nishimura Seven's sprites, as well as given it and the Pulsar-D reload animations. I've also fixed a minor bug where the Luxor repeatedly spawns empty Luxor objects when Extra Weapons.
TheRailgunner

Postby Doomenator » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:13 am

Excessive recoil of the weapon makes the gameplay disgusting. Do not forget that a first person shooter and not a shooter from weapon camera.
Perhaps there are fans of such perversion, but I'm not one of them. :?
Doomenator
Banned User

Postby Tekish » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:27 am

I tend to agree with what's been said recently: the recoil on pretty much all of the weapons is way over the top. It seems at odds with Doom's gameplay, and can be frustrating on mapsets that throw a lot of enemies at you in close quarters. It's a shame too, because I really like how the weapons look and sound.
Tekish

Postby TiberiumSoul » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:13 am

will we see a reload for the VSK-9 because that shotgun is sexy.
TiberiumSoul
The Lost Soul that stumbled into a patch of tiberium crystals

Postby TheRailgunner » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 pm

Cryomundus wrote:Really tho, even if you don't remove it, I've taken to doing so myself as the constant jerking around of the screen is far too irritating to deal with for long play sessions.

Doomenator wrote:Excessive recoil of the weapon makes the gameplay disgusting. Do not forget that a first person shooter and not a shooter from weapon camera.
Perhaps there are fans of such perversion, but I'm not one of them. :?

Tekish wrote:I tend to agree with what's been said recently: the recoil on pretty much all of the weapons is way over the top. It seems at odds with Doom's gameplay, and can be frustrating on mapsets that throw a lot of enemies at you in close quarters. It's a shame too, because I really like how the weapons look and sound.

There's really no getting around it - I literally have to remove most of the recoil on the weapons for people to play it. I honestly don't see how other people have issues playing with the recoil the way it is (maybe I'm just used to it or something), but I can't avoid it at this point.

So, Recoil CVAR time?
TheRailgunner

Postby Tekish » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:49 pm

I would definitely appreciate a recoil CVAR.
Tekish

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods