[WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.4 [INFINITE HIATUS]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

[WIP] The Trooper - 0.3.4 [INFINITE HIATUS]

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, my original post was, well, incredibly biased towards self-deprecation, and I felt that it wasn't a healthy mindset. Anyway, The Trooper is on indefinite hiatus - my ambitions for the mod far outweigh the actual progress I've made on it, and it just seems too daunting for me to worry about. I'll probably put some of the low-resource stuff into Legionnaire's Loadout (temporary title), but this mod is far too cumbersome to continue until I feel motivated to refactor it entirely.

Also, be safe, wash your hands frequently, keep at least six feet/1.8 meters away from other people, call out antimaskers for what they are - a legitimate threat to the health and safety of all other human beings on Earth - and encourage those around you to do the same whenever possible. A virus that can kill or leave you with life-ruining complications is nothing to scoff - or cough - at. The original post is within the spoiler below.
Spoiler:
Last edited by TheRailgunner on Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 171 times in total.
Carbine Dioxide

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.5 [COMEBACK]

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Oh nice, a new thread started. I noticed in earlier versions that the Last Salvo's pickup sprite didn't change with the Doom 2016 HUD sprite. I think it's the same for the Aries Sharpshooter.

I also think that the N7 could find a place in the main arsenal some where, possibly spawning in place of the Last Salvo every now and then?
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.6 [DGA-3]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:Oh nice, a new thread started. I noticed in earlier versions that the Last Salvo's pickup sprite didn't change with the Doom 2016 HUD sprite. I think it's the same for the Aries Sharpshooter.

I also think that the N7 could find a place in the main arsenal some where, possibly spawning in place of the Last Salvo every now and then?
I honestly don't have new pickups for them yet.

I might put the N7 somewhere in the main set, but I want to reacquire the better-angled M14 sprite I had before the HDD fried before I move it to the main mod. In the mean time, I redid the DGA-3's sprites and made some minor balance changes.
AdmiralAjax

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.6 [DGA-3]

Post by AdmiralAjax »

Pretty sure this is dev version funkyness, but when I fire the AS46 and the VSK7, they don't spend any ammo using primary fire.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.7 [Luxor HMG]

Post by TheRailgunner »

AdmiralAjax wrote:Pretty sure this is dev version funkyness, but when I fire the AS46 and the VSK7, they don't spend any ammo using primary fire.
Download it again - it was a bug regarding FBF_USEAMMO not being set for hitscans.

I've added the Luxor Heavy Machine Gun - a high-damage, high-ROF weapon that sacrifices mobility for raw firepower. As it comes, it's terribly inaccurate, has ridiculous recoil, and weighs down the player while held, but once mounted with Altfire, it gains incredible accuracy, becomes much more controllable, and removes the player's ability to move until unmounted. It is incredibly rare, occasionally replacing the Super Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, and Plasma Rifle - no enemy drops it.

The M83 hasn't been moved yet - I'll do it soonish.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I would suggest making melee faster and more reliable or increasing ammo counts. On some megawads it can really be quite hard to play when there are not that many ammo pickups and a lot of demon type enemies. Can be specially annoying when you miss because they move around like blue hedgehogs when they see you. Can also be pretty difficult in maps where melee is your main or only weapon. I suggest making the quick melee's startup faster and buffing the damage a little.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

I think you oughta tone down the use of A_SetAngle and A_SetPitch, its really off-putting for me for some reason, and slightly nauseating.

Oh, and you might want to standardize the regular ammo drops (things like shells, clips, the stuff you should get often), it feels like you're barely scraping by, and that's coming from someone who micromanages ammo like crazy all the time. Oh, and the size of the ammo sprites could be a bit bigger too, they're very, very easy to overlook.

One last thing, why does the Automat Sokova have a clip, it's really weird to just randomly reload it in the middle of a firefight. I think it's also the only gun that does that too.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Cryomundus wrote:I think you oughta tone down the use of A_SetAngle and A_SetPitch, its really off-putting for me for some reason, and slightly nauseating.

Oh, and you might want to standardize the regular ammo drops (things like shells, clips, the stuff you should get often), it feels like you're barely scraping by, and that's coming from someone who micromanages ammo like crazy all the time. Oh, and the size of the ammo sprites could be a bit bigger too, they're very, very easy to overlook.

One last thing, why does the Automat Sokova have a clip, it's really weird to just randomly reload it in the middle of a firefight. I think it's also the only gun that does that too.
I might reduce them somewhat, but I don't want the weapons to be flat-out easy to control - otherwise people would have no problem abusing the innate accuracy of weapons in the mod. I also don't want to use bullet spread; I only use it on the Luxor to handicap its viability while not mounted.

Standardizing the ammo drops just feels too basic - I don't want the assault rifle to share ammo with the heavier machine guns and the explosive revolver, for example, and the most common ammo types spawn the most frequently by far (I often find myself with too much ammo for the shotguns in particular).

All weapons will eventually have reloads - the next version will have reloads for the Pulsar-D and DGA-3, as I have animations ready for them and have already given one to the Pulsar on my end; reloads for the Surfeit Torment, VSK7 Nightshade, and M97 will come afterward (I had a version with a reload for both the Pulsar and Surfeit Torment, but it died with my old HDD).

Other changes:
*M83 GPMG max ammo increased to 350, 500 with backpack
*GMPG recoil reduced by 33%
*Luxor HMG max ammo increased to 250, 300 with backpack

This is mostly to assist in these weapons' roles as temporary firepower increases while you gather ammo for other weapons.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Sorry, I meant standardizing more in the sense of how Doom does it.

A clip is always 10 bullets, a box of bullets is always 50, shells are always 4, shellbox is always 20, that sorta thing.

My issue with the setangle and setpitch is that if you're patient, the gun pretty much always returns to the original firing position, so using the guns well means using them very slowly to offset all the jerking around. That combined with the fact that you don't always have a lot of ammo, it just feels like you're either throwing away all your ammo, or you're gettting motion sickness/headaches from the screen jerking around too much.

Really tho, even if you don't remove it, I've taken to doing so myself as the constant jerking around of the screen is far too irritating to deal with for long play sessions.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.8 [Nishimura Seven]

Post by TheRailgunner »

I've updated the Nishimura Seven's sprites, as well as given it and the Pulsar-D reload animations. I've also fixed a minor bug where the Luxor repeatedly spawns empty Luxor objects when Extra Weapons.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

Excessive recoil of the weapon makes the gameplay disgusting. Do not forget that a first person shooter and not a shooter from weapon camera.
Perhaps there are fans of such perversion, but I'm not one of them. :?
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I tend to agree with what's been said recently: the recoil on pretty much all of the weapons is way over the top. It seems at odds with Doom's gameplay, and can be frustrating on mapsets that throw a lot of enemies at you in close quarters. It's a shame too, because I really like how the weapons look and sound.
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

will we see a reload for the VSK-9 because that shotgun is sexy.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Cryomundus wrote:Really tho, even if you don't remove it, I've taken to doing so myself as the constant jerking around of the screen is far too irritating to deal with for long play sessions.
Doomenator wrote:Excessive recoil of the weapon makes the gameplay disgusting. Do not forget that a first person shooter and not a shooter from weapon camera.
Perhaps there are fans of such perversion, but I'm not one of them. :?
Tekish wrote:I tend to agree with what's been said recently: the recoil on pretty much all of the weapons is way over the top. It seems at odds with Doom's gameplay, and can be frustrating on mapsets that throw a lot of enemies at you in close quarters. It's a shame too, because I really like how the weapons look and sound.
There's really no getting around it - I literally have to remove most of the recoil on the weapons for people to play it. I honestly don't see how other people have issues playing with the recoil the way it is (maybe I'm just used to it or something), but I can't avoid it at this point.

So, Recoil CVAR time?
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I would definitely appreciate a recoil CVAR.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”