[UPDATE] Brutal Guncaster V1.2.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ryuhi

Re: [UPDATE] Brutal Guncaster V1.2.1

Post by Ryuhi »

Pillowblaster, I know you have other work, but do you have a vanilla guncaster update in the works? I absolutely love it, but some of the things added in this mod feel like they would be positive additions to the original. I know I'm not an oldhead in the community, but I just wanted to give both my respect and support :)
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

If anything, this version shouldn't be the basis for any updates. There are far too many things I've done on my end between this posted version and the personal edited copy I currently have.
Spiral3

Post by Spiral3 »

A simple guide to let us know exactly which GC powerups replace the vanilla ones and with what frequency would make it a lot easier to build levels around BCG. Could you throw that up somewhere, please?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

First off, I'd prefer that you should base the map around vanilla Guncaster itself, since in very basic function for creating maps centered around it, I haven't really changed much (also, the original Guncaster itself is more deserving of your love than my edits). If you want, you can then make edits to the map so that it specifically fits Brutal Guncaster.

Second, they replace stuff the exact same way that vanilla Guncaster replaces vanilla objects. With the "new" weapon and Darkvoid, however, that adds a couple of things. Look within Guncaster's .pk3 file for more information.

Matriarch has a 2/3 probability of spawning instead of a Rocket Launcher. The other 1/3 belongs to the Sovereign.

Big/small explosive ammo drops (Matriarch, Sovereign, Dynamite) each have a 1/3 probability of spawning in place of big/small Rocket ammo.

A Darkvoid tome spawns as rarely as the more powerful tomes, such as Annihilation, Meteorfist, and Prisim Laser.
Spiral3

Post by Spiral3 »

Thanks for the quick reply :) Unfortunately I'm a newbie and don't know how to read the data yet. When I do maybe I'll make my own mod ^.^ I figured I start small with some basic WAD making.
Gadosen

Post by Gadosen »

Your work was amazing in this mashup so far... never fell more satisfied while playing as Cygnus :v
Question: Do you have in mind doing the same thing to Trailblazer? Please? :P
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

@Spiral3: The ZDoom wiki helps with learning code, and the "How Do I..." thread helps with understanding code and putting it together. Try those. They helped me tremendously when I started off a couple years ago.

@Gadosen: Much appreciated, thanks!

Trailblazer should be quick and easy to do, considering that it's merely a weapons mod, and unlike Guncaster, it makes no changes to any monster code.

I'll need to ask PillowBlaster about releasing that, though. Can't just upload it without letting him know first. However, first things first... I'm still overhauling Project Brutality and Guncaster.

P.S.: The Guncaster's name is spelled "Cygnis". For future reference... ;)
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

It's a so amazing work...
Brutalize demons with magic(and dragon kick) was never been so much fun.
I found Anti-dragon teleporter destination thing(they hit hard), But except this, I didn't encounter any bugs.
I truly appreciate on your work. Thank you.
Spiral3

Post by Spiral3 »

So I've started working on that WAD :) Let me know if you guys think I'm on the right track.

https://youtu.be/0cfcaT-vKjY
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Alright, listen up, people.

After much thought, consideration, and prayer... I have decided that after my next release of Brutal Guncaster, I will no longer be uploading any more versions of my personal edits to Guncaster. It has been suggested that I finally got my way with finding a loophole for releasing my own submod, which was never my intention. I don't blame anyone who would assume so... many of my comments in the Guncaster thread do appear to suggest that I had a submod being prepped for release, even though I was never planning on doing that. My edits should never have been uploaded in the first place... and so, in light of this, I have arrived at this decision.

I will, however, be maintaining the stripped down "vanilla" Guncaster that will have only whatever is necessary to make Guncaster fully compatible with Brutal Doom. I hope to one day make a patch that will simply make the original Guncaster compatible with Brutal Doom, so that a submod wouldn't need to be necessary.
Ts879

Post by Ts879 »

I have a suggestion. Why not turn the sovereign auto cannon into an auto rocket launcher? We already have an auto cannon.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Because rockets are overrated, especially when you have super-fast slugs. Also, lack of decent rocket sprites... not to mention I finalized the final behavior of the Sovereign to be more akin to a grenade launcher.

The projectiles will move slower and have gravity, and you will have to aim higher if you want it to go even further (which actually isn't that much of a disadvantage, and opens up a couple of new options). But that comes with some nice benefits... not to mention, it helps to separate it more from the Matriarch and stock Doom weapons. ;)
Rtma

Post by Rtma »

I've been playing this mod for dooming purposes and enjoy the combination of Brutal Doom and playing as Cygnis with guncaster, however a personal decision in making it a bit more tactical was to turn off hammerspace backpack, but I'm still getting ammo expansion sequentially ontop of initial pick up of a hammerspace pickup, is anyone else getting this? I haven't tested that on PBGuncaster or Guncaster.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Ah, that was my fault. ^_^;

While screwing around with parentheses in the Hammerspace Backpack's ACS code, I accidentally made it able to happen whether or not the option was enabled in the "Here Be Dragons" menu. It's already fixed on my end, so that issue shouldn't be present when the next release happens. :)
Rtma

Post by Rtma »

Glad to help, I should also like mention that when you Gumpop a dieing Imp, it usually transforms into a Zombieman crawling around, comes up with an error, unable to find state GC_DyingImp, GC_DyingImpNoArm, CS_DyingSergeant, something like that, hope that helps.
Last edited by Rtma on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”