[UPDATE] Brutal Guncaster V1.2.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
shotfan

Re: [UPDATE] Brutal Guncaster V1.2.1

Post by shotfan »

Speaking of bugs: the Thunderstruck's alternate mode cannot be deactivated after using it once - it will always strike whenever you have enough (100) Mana. It is a rather obstructive behavior and other spells do not work this way anyway, so I assume this is a bug.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

I just gave this a whirl on the M.O.C Hardcore mapset for Doom 2, and I have to say, you did a really great job on porting the brutal doom monsters to GC, thanks for this.
Here's my feedback, both positive and negative, in no particular order.
-Brutal Doom's water effects should be removed, if possible. It's an absolute FPS destroyer, regularly, and is even worse due to the insanely high amount of (really good looking) effects from GC's weapons.
-Why is BD's "vanilla monsters" option enabled by default? I feel as if this mod benefits from the added difficulty from the slightly more powerful enemies, due to Guncaster normally making even the most insane slaughterwad a breeze.
-Again, great job on porting the gore over. I always thought BD's gore made no sense, what with a stray rifle bullet being able to shoot off someone's limb, but with the insanely large and powerful-feeling weapons of GC, it makes sense that the shotgun is capable of reducing a zombieman to nothing but their lower half, or that the longhorn just removes an entire chunk out of their body.
-For some odd reason, after clearing out a room, there seems to sometimes be random spots lying around that damage me for one health multiple times a second, the placement of these spots seems completely random. Not gamebreaking, but still a strange bug nonetheless.
-This mod is meant to simply be a port of BD's gore over to GC's systems, I understand this, but would it be possible to add an option that multiplies all enemy's health depending on what difficulty you select, like in Russian Overkill? I know it's weird to play any of Pillowblaster's mod for the sake of a challenge, but I feel this could be an interesting option.
-The claw attacks that are performed if you mash attack with your bare hands should trigger chainsaw deaths. In other words, the claw attacks should cut enemies in half.
Sorry for all of my stupid feedback, and thanks for making this mod!
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

BD's water used to be nice and friendly, then Mark decide to replace sprite splashes with particle splashes.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Huge fan of Guncaster, and this version feels even more satisfying. Few quick notes:

*edit - Just saw 1.2.1, amended to reflect newer version!*

I've been experiencing the random damage issue as well, and I think it has to do with spawner placements. I ran into it a lot on Hellawakened, and it continuously drained health when staying in spots where enemies spawn in. fixed in the updated version
-I've encountered a shop glitch in GZdoom 2.3.2 where dying causes the shop's item and stratocaster tabs to break, always assuming the player has 0 gold. buying spells works perfectly after this, for some reason. Reloading a save after this glitch happens, or even just reloading the save from the beginning of the level, doesn't fix it. works just fine on GZ 2.2 though.
-love the spell variations for alt and normal modes!
- It seems the blood level affects the blood=gold modifier, would it be possible to circumvent this? getting extra gold is one thing, but the gold pickup "glow" practically drowns out the actual blood (though it makes it look almost like molten steel which is kinda badass in its own right)

bugs aside, this is fun as hell.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

WAIT A SEC, WHY DIDN'T I SEE THIS SOONER?!

You should've shown me this thread sooner! I can acknowledge some of the "bugs" that were here! Although, I didn't really expect that you would've shared my version of Guncaster here in the first place... it was more meant for you to use as a base for making Brutal Doom monsters compatible with Guncaster...

For being able to purchase the Ironblast from the shop, that's no bug... it was intentional, and in my version only. I put it there because there's no super shotgun in Ultimate Doom (which is a shame), and I wanted to kill stuff with the Ironblast anywhere.

I made Firespit completely free. Since I also made it neutralize the pitch change using counteracting pitch movements, it takes a little longer to do between them. Which means less spamming! :D

Yeah, the Sovereign's back! :D I didn't want to give it the old Sovereign Stratocaster because that was way too powerful. It would've made standard dynamite tossing next to useless. Since its shtick was taken by the much-improved Matriarch, then what needed to be done? When I was looking at gameplay for Project Brutality, I came across the Super Grenade Launcher, which had different payloads. I had seen it before (and used it long before the project was even known as "Project Brutality"), but what really struck me was the lens on the thing, which looked a lot like that of the Sovereign. So, it was clear to me that the Sovereign needed to be redubbed in this way, in order to stand out.
shotfan wrote:So, the Longhorn Stratocaster is both faster and stronger than ordinary fire, but without fan-the-hammer action. So no changes really from the base Guncaster? Nevermind then.
In my version, you can fan the revolver without the stratocaster... but you could only fire the standard bullets. The stratocaster now acts as an ammo upgrade... turning your somewhat-piercing bullets into ripper projectiles.
Ryuhi wrote: Reloading a save after this glitch happens, or even just reloading the save from the beginning of the level, doesn't fix it. works just fine on GZ 2.2 though.
That's a legit bug in vanilla Guncaster. So far, no one knows how to fix it. I'll need to ask about that on MantisBT.
Samarai1000 wrote:I just gave this a whirl on the M.O.C Hardcore mapset for Doom 2, and I have to say, you did a really great job on porting the brutal doom monsters to GC, thanks for this.
Thanks!
Samarai1000 wrote:Here's my feedback, both positive and negative, in no particular order.
-Brutal Doom's water effects should be removed, if possible. It's an absolute FPS destroyer, regularly, and is even worse due to the insanely high amount of (really good looking) effects from GC's weapons.
Damn right. I'm trying to look into what's causing the splashes. I haven't had much success locating the splash actors. What I'd want to do is create a CVAR that will disable that, in case you still want to play with splashes on (and maybe add the option of just using the old sprite splashes).
Samarai1000 wrote:-Why is BD's "vanilla monsters" option enabled by default? I feel as if this mod benefits from the added difficulty from the slightly more powerful enemies, due to Guncaster normally making even the most insane slaughterwad a breeze.
No idea. I've never encountered that bug...
Samarai1000 wrote:-Again, great job on porting the gore over. I always thought BD's gore made no sense, what with a stray rifle bullet being able to shoot off someone's limb, but with the insanely large and powerful-feeling weapons of GC, it makes sense that the shotgun is capable of reducing a zombieman to nothing but their lower half, or that the longhorn just removes an entire chunk out of their body.
Thanks again. A summer break and 3/4 of a fall semester was necessary to look through the code to see what damage/deathtypes would match with Guncaster's stuff. :D
Samarai1000 wrote:-For some odd reason, after clearing out a room, there seems to sometimes be random spots lying around that damage me for one health multiple times a second, the placement of these spots seems completely random. Not gamebreaking, but still a strange bug nonetheless.
I encountered that same bug before... but I fixed that before. The player actor BrutalGuncaster should have damage resistance to that damage. Here's the thing... Sarge replaced teleport destination actors (so, these spots aren't completely random) with teleport destinations that would deal a certain type of damage. That way, when gibs fly through the teleporter, they'd just automatically disappear, since the gibs have a special death state that would basically cause them to disappear when they fly through a teleporter.
Samarai1000 wrote:-This mod is meant to simply be a port of BD's gore over to GC's systems, I understand this, but would it be possible to add an option that multiplies all enemy's health depending on what difficulty you select, like in Russian Overkill? I know it's weird to play any of Pillowblaster's mod for the sake of a challenge, but I feel this could be an interesting option.
A simple (Z)MAPINFO can give you what you want... but I must warn you, Brutal Guncaster is actually hard enough the way it is. At least in the very beginning. I don't dare go over "Drake" difficulty.
Samarai1000 wrote:-The claw attacks that are performed if you mash attack with your bare hands should trigger chainsaw deaths. In other words, the claw attacks should cut enemies in half.
There's an interesting idea! I'll think about that... :D

You know what else would be interesting? What if they did "Manuel" (Threadcutter) damage? The monsters are already coded to die a "chainsaw death" when dying from "Manuel" damage... but that also has a chance of making monsters bleed... :)
Samarai1000 wrote:Sorry for all of my stupid feedback, and thanks for making this mod!
Unless it's not constructive or productive, it's not stupid in my book. Thank you for your feedback... I will try and see if I can do some of these things done for LMD555, along with further fixes and much-needed balances... :)
Last edited by DoomKrakken on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

I knew it that neoSovereign was inspired by the Super Grenade Launcher from PB! I guess it does not have HE grenades anymore to avoid overlap with Matriarch (or TNT)?

As for Longhorn altfire, I went full retard confused in that post. There is fanning action indeed. I figured it out now, but thanks for the explanation.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

They're slugs... not grenades. :)

No problem.

By the way, I'm just wondering... have any of you experienced any memory leaks while playing this? My versions of this seem to initiate a memory leak occasionally when monsters die of Tiberium/Blue Tiberium damage...
shotfan wrote:Speaking of bugs: the Thunderstruck's alternate mode cannot be deactivated after using it once - it will always strike whenever you have enough (100) Mana. It is a rather obstructive behavior and other spells do not work this way anyway, so I assume this is a bug.
Never encountered that bug... and it's supposed to take 75 mana, not 100. And you're supposed to deactivate it by casting Thunderstruck again... else, it'll just stay there. In my most recent edit (which is not released yet), you have to be in alternate mode to activate/deactivate it.
Spiral3

Post by Spiral3 »

Can we get an actor replacement guide/legend for level creation?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Never thought of that...

I could look into it. But I cannot promise that it will happen.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

My question is, Krakken - did you actually ask me if I am okay with this addon of yours in the first place? There's a reason I asked Lois to add a little statement in the OP.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

This was actually a personal project, which I gave to 555. I never told him to post it and I never expected him to do so... mainly because I was afraid of being accused of hijacking Guncaster once again. Since he's the only guy able to post stuff about Brutal Guncaster, I figured I'd help him along with my personal Brutal Guncaster project... since I was successfully able to make all the monsters and gore compatible with every single aspect of Guncaster.

So no, I did not ask you, because I didn't expect this project itself to be posted in the first place.

I initially gave him the mod merely as a base for which he can make the monsters of Brutal Doom (and subsequently those of Project Brutality) and the weapons of Guncaster compatible with each other. The mod was mainly for me to play (and me alone)... but I gave it to him (and only him) so that he could learn from it.

As a matter of fact, when I first gave it to 555, I explicitly told him not to post it, because I really did not want to start another falling out with you. I didn't want to be in more trouble with you than I already was. You made it clear how you felt about my "work", and I feared that I'd be in even deeper trouble than ever before if this mod saw the light of day. When I expressed my concern over the release of the mod, bringing up our past fallings out as a basis of concern, 555 told me about a brief falling out that you and 555 had, concerning the release of this project, after he released a demo video. However, 555 assured me that, in the end, you were okay with it... so long as you were notified of any changes I made to this version of Guncaster, and that my changes were kept in a separate addon.

Am I missing something? Is there something 555 failed to tell me?
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Considering he posted video and links and everything, without telling me a single word until I simply noticed that things were happening behind my back - I drew a proper conclusion that you were going for gold here, given the situation. If that wasn't a clear usage of a loophole, I dunno what this is. If you knew better the consequences, instead of giving him the whole thing, you should've had gave him the only bits that would let him do desired changes/fixes to avoid confusion. Your miscommunication is not my responsibility.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Except that I didn't know he was going to do this.

And I gave him the thing well over two months ago (we hadn't spoken to each other since then, until I found this).

AND it was done behind MY back TOO.
DoomKrakken, 9 posts ago, wrote:WAIT A SEC, WHY DIDN'T I SEE THIS SOONER?!
However, he'd need the whole thing in order for it to make sense. That version of Brutal Guncaster was only compatible with my personal edited copy of Guncaster, since the tracer projectiles fired from some of the guns that only exist in my personal edited copy have special damage/deathtypes assigned to them. It wouldn't have worked at all with your version.

But I assumed that he worked everything out with you afterward, meaning it was okay in the end.

I knew that I'd be accused of "going for the gold" if he didn't clear this with you beforehand. I can promise you, that was never my intention.

I'll ask you straight up then... are you actually fine with me helping out with this project?
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

DoomKrakken wrote:I'll ask you straight up then... are you actually fine with me helping out with this project?
I honestly don't care at this point. Just keep your things in your addon. And next time you both consult me before doing anything like that.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Alright then. Thank you.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I'll need to talk to 555 again...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”