[UPDATE] Brutal Guncaster V1.2.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sinael

Re: [UPDATE] Brutal Guncaster V1.2.1

Post by Sinael »

Another bug: Pulverizer's Stratocaster fire (bullet ball) homes in onto player instead of enemies. Here's a handy showcase

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LjiVtQ59tt4

And another one for the addon: once engaged, a Dynamite strat can not be disengaged.
And another one: Many projectiles (but not all) go through Spider Mastermind's brain area without colliding. For instance Sovereign and Matriarch grenades pass right through and do not explode.
Some gibs also perpetually hurt monsters if they collide under certain angle - one of the small IMP gibs for instance does this - when shooting a crowd of them with the Matriarch, some of them get perpetually stunlocked by forever rolling chunks. https://youtu.be/mO9W2uWxx7U
Chillgrasp can pick up some dead bodies and decorations.
It looks like kicking acts like an explosion, and it often sends whatever you are trying to kick into you instead of away (like revenant skulls and monster gibs) Also there are a few decorations that are not supposed to be kickable, but are.
https://youtu.be/d4S0r_X1Kkc
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

For some reason I've never seen this before... Is there any changelog that I can find to know the difference between the original and "brutal" version of this mod? Preferable changelog for each version too, please. :P
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

No, and no. :P

Really, the only thing that changed was that the monsters became Guncaster-compatible.

There were a bunch of other changes done with my own personal version of Guncaster which had been released alongside this, but it's outdated AF.

Wait until Guncaster 3.0 drops. After that, I will be working on a universal compatibility patch for Guncaster, to make just about anything compatible with Guncaster's affliction system.
MaxRideWizardLord

DoomKrakken wrote:No, and no. :P

Really, the only thing that changed was that the monsters became Guncaster-compatible.

There were a bunch of other changes done with my own personal version of Guncaster which had been released alongside this, but it's outdated AF.

Wait until Guncaster 3.0 drops. After that, I will be working on a universal compatibility patch for Guncaster, to make just about anything compatible with Guncaster's affliction system.
Aww, poop.

Just curious, any hidden balance changes from the original guncaster, aside from obvious replacing some of the attacks with the new ones, or adding new ones??

Also, if you don't mind, let me give a little feedback.

The mere fact that you actually add blackhole spell, which is something PillowBlaster originally wanted to add to his project, made me like your mod. I hope in future you make a standalone blackhole mod for guncaster that would work even without brutal doom addon. :P

However, there is a bit of issues (possibly a very well known for you, not sure) and a bit of rational critique toward the blackhole spell.

1) When you using enhanced version of darkmatter black hole, the additional blackholes that it creates on contact with surface, instead of seeking for enemies, seeking for player. The result is - numerous amount of blackholes hiting exact same spot where the player is, instead of hitting nearby enemies which I assume would be more productive and far more logical that way.

2) When the projectile of darkvoid alt fire (black hole) is flying, it suck all enemies around it and constantly damages all enemies that are nearby. Which is a great thing! However, when projectile is hiting surface and thus activate the initial black hole, the sucking in power might be more powerful, but the damage is... meh... it feels rather very weak to a point it's unrealistic and annoying.

It takes about the full time of it's action period untill it finally kills archvile and oftern even baronofhell manages to survive untill the final bang that finish him off. Even the flying projectile seems to do far more the damage than the blackhole itself. In a game mod where anything kills baron and even cyber in matter of seconds, and yet blackhole is somewhat a competitor and counterpart of the bfg9000 (olddreadful) weapon but for magic spells, this one feels fairly weak. To be honest, I feel it should be at least 4-5 times stronger in terms of DPS. Also, it should damage through walls like Scourgebreath as many enemies that get sucked in to it often stuck because of tiny barrier, or pillar, or cedar, or footboard, or even a tiny column, resulting they receive 0 damage at all, which doesn't make any sense. To compensate it, how about switch it's price from 10,000 to 50,000 or more? After all, it seems fitting to be the end-game spell, the strongest of all.

3) Terrible, unbearable and unsupervised lags that cause enhanced altfire of blackhole, because of all these blackholes summoned at the same time, sometimes completely freezing my pc for 20 minutes straight forward. Any chance to have options for toaster PC that remove all possible earthquake that they create, all useless (yet beautiful) colorful smokes it creates and all other irrelevant cosmetic sprites that cause a lot of lags, pretty please??

The other things I've noticed regardless this mod that isn't related to blackhole is a more balance\bug report and a single suggestion.

For some reason it's quite troublesome for me to inflict DoT elemental damage to the enemies, like igniting them or make the lightning shock them for some time. More than in original 2.8 at least, it seems.

The altfire of Annihilation doesn't do damage when push enemies around, which is weird, because even in russian overkill it did damage when you get cornered enemies with it, even though the damage is relatively small (especially for a russian overkill), so it took time to kill pinky but at least it was possible and that's why I liked it. I don't know what cause the bug, but without the damage of the pushing force itself, it's quite a useless spell that just consumes a lot of mana for no real reason. If it's intended, then it's imho a bad descission as it makes the spell unappealing and completely useless, at least I doubt a lot people will use it worthfully in actual gameplay since it just drains mana insanely fast like female canine.

Since altfire for spells seems to be your idea and a lot of spells do not have their altfire, and the ones that have altfire are just the firemode of old version of guncaster, I had an idea for chillgrasp. What if for altfire, you using the full potential of telekinesis, and this time you can even sucking up all nearby items and pickups all around map toward yourself?? When you aim at certain pickup, bonus, item, or even a coin miles away from you all across the map, you can magnet it toward yourself as well too, by simply aiming at it. You also can suck up all nearby enemies around you toward yourself while damaging them and freezing them as well, but this time you can't precisely grip a single one of them, fully neutralize by chocking said target like darth vader. What do you think about this one? No need to take me literally, just wanted to share my feedback and I'm just curious for your opinion.
Humamon

Post by Humamon »

i was wondering if this was a beta build. It looks really good so far with some minor bugs and a few nitpicks, like if the shopkeeper and iron sights will be added. oh and sometimes the bodies don't splatter when i shoot at them up close. Other then that its really great keep up the good work. :D
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

You do realize this gut got banned right, there wont be updates or fixes for some time to come.
cs89

Post by cs89 »

Yeah Humamon, you should check out Dinosaur Nerd's Guncaster Vindicated mod, it gets update frequently and that can be run on the newer GzDoom version.
MaxRideWizardLord

cs89 wrote:Yeah Humamon, you should check out Dinosaur Nerd's Guncaster Vindicated mod, it gets update frequently and that can be run on the newer GzDoom version.
Eh... his mod is nothing more but nerfing stuff and removing the fun stuff from the mod, aside from single spell and meh hitscan chaingun-reskin. This one Brutal Guncaster, however, not only add new animations and stuff, but a whole new feature of alternative casting system and extra fun spell; too! I wish the doomkrakken come back tho, it's a big shame if such awesome project dies just like that..

I hope Dino won't kill me once he read it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”