[3.3!] FINAL DOOMER +

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby SpacemanStrife » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:01 pm

What would be the best way for an addon wad to check which weapon set the player is currently using? I might be able to try something for the heck of it.

EDIT: Here's a proof of concept.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/m99b6xvj ... s.wad/file

Load this alongside the main Final Doomer wad and it'll make the Zombieman, Shotgunner and Chaingunner fire BTSX projectiles. The projectiles trigger infighting, and the chaingunner has a rudimentary version of the rifle's powershot mechanic, too.
Last edited by SpacemanStrife on Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
SpacemanStrife
 
Joined: 01 Apr 2018
Discord: Strife#6969

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby making4 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:26 pm

Xterra wrote:EDIT: It's got something to do with the autoaim fix, I think. Commenting out three lines in the relevant weapon's definition relating to calling the autoaim check script (lines 54-56 in ./DECORATE/AlienVendetta/plasmarifle.dec) resulted in the weapon functioning correctly, but it completely negates the "autoaim fix". What happens on my end, with the DECORATE file unadulterated, is that the gun fires all the zero-damage rail attacks and puffs and otherwise functions normally, but doesn't fire the rail that actually does the damage.


This was happening to me too, and your fix corrected it. Don't mind not having autoaim on that one weapon. Thanks!
making4
 
Joined: 04 Jul 2017

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby Alptraum » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:07 am

SpacemanStrife wrote:What would be the best way for an addon wad to check which weapon set the player is currently using? I might be able to try something for the heck of it.

EDIT: Here's a proof of concept.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/m99b6xvj ... s.wad/file

Load this alongside the main Final Doomer wad and it'll make the Zombieman, Shotgunner and Chaingunner fire BTSX projectiles. The projectiles trigger infighting, and the chaingunner has a rudimentary version of the rifle's powershot mechanic, too.


I will try using it with BTSX next time I run ^^
User avatar
Alptraum
 
Joined: 22 Apr 2019
Discord: Alptraum#6909
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby TaporGaming » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:18 am

Is Eviternity Guy planned in next update?
TaporGaming
I liek to make baddons
 
Joined: 08 Jun 2018

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby TheOldKingCole » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:48 am

TaporGaming wrote:Is Eviternity Guy planned in next update?


That would be amazing! Sgt. Shivers make this happen!
TheOldKingCole
 
Joined: 31 Jan 2019

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby Tartlman » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:29 am

If I remember correctly, eviternity guy isn't planned yet. I think that Icarus: Alien Vanguard guy is planned though.
User avatar
Tartlman
shitposting with zscript
 
Joined: 11 Oct 2018
Location: meme hell
Discord: bogus#2947

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby Valken » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:21 pm

That play video was awesome... what was the sound track?

Edit... I found it listed in the video credits. Great trailer showing off the new weapons.
Valken
 
Joined: 08 Jun 2015

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby Rex705 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:39 pm

Final Doomer has always been one of my favorite mods but the movement in the current version has ruined it for me. It's like Doomguy broke his legs and is waddling around barely moving. The movement also hurts my eyes to look at.
User avatar
Rex705
 
Joined: 22 Nov 2015
Discord: Rex705

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby Yholl » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Rex705 wrote:Final Doomer has always been one of my favorite mods but the movement in the current version has ruined it for me. It's like Doomguy broke his legs and is waddling around barely moving. The movement also hurts my eyes to look at.
First, the movement has not changed since the initial release.
Second, only walking speed is reduced, running is still vanilla speed.
User avatar
Yholl
I will hit you with my Decorate.
 
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Location: Here, stupid.

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby Dr. Shotgun » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 pm

On that note, is it possible for that to be toggled? There are a couple of platforming challenges out there that rely on the vanilla walking speed (where running is too fast and you'd hit a wall, but the current default is too slow to make those jumps).

While I'm at it: Could someone give me a breakdown on what the differences/actual mechanics between the various BFG ammo selections are? I don't quite get it and I didn't see a text file documenting it anywhere...
Dr. Shotgun
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2016

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby Yholl » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:53 pm

Dr. Shotgun wrote:On that note, is it possible for that to be toggled?
Nope.
Dr. Shotgun wrote:While I'm at it: Could someone give me a breakdown on what the differences/actual mechanics between the various BFG ammo selections are? I don't quite get it and I didn't see a text file documenting it anywhere...
    Large ammo pickups give you BFG ammo
    Cell ammo pickups give you BFG ammo
    Large ammo pickups spawn seperate BFG ammo pickups around themselves
    Cell ammo pickups spawn seperate BFG ammo pickups around themselves
    BFG shares ammo with the plasma rifle equivalent like in vanilla.
User avatar
Yholl
I will hit you with my Decorate.
 
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Location: Here, stupid.

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby Dr. Shotgun » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:34 am

Yholl wrote:Nope.


To clarify, I meant that in the sense of "is that a thing that could be added in a later update". If that answer still applies, can I ask why?

Yholl wrote:
    Large ammo pickups give you BFG ammo
    Cell ammo pickups give you BFG ammo
    Large ammo pickups spawn seperate BFG ammo pickups around themselves
    Cell ammo pickups spawn seperate BFG ammo pickups around themselves
    BFG shares ammo with the plasma rifle equivalent like in vanilla.


What's the practical difference between spawning separate pickups around themselves and the pickups just adding to the counter automatically? I know the literal difference now (thanks for that), but what does that really mean in practice when you'll be running over them anyway?
Dr. Shotgun
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2016

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby Yholl » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:51 am

Dr. Shotgun wrote:To clarify, I meant that in the sense of "is that a thing that could be added in a later update". If that answer still applies, can I ask why?
Because it can't be changed on the fly.
Dr. Shotgun wrote:What's the practical difference between spawning separate pickups around themselves and the pickups just adding to the counter automatically? I know the literal difference now (thanks for that), but what does that really mean in practice when you'll be running over them anyway?
The difference of not picking up ammo you are full on, therefore not wasting bfg ammo if you're full on it, but not full on other types of ammo.
User avatar
Yholl
I will hit you with my Decorate.
 
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Location: Here, stupid.

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby Dr. Shotgun » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:22 am

Yholl wrote:The difference of not picking up ammo you are full on, therefore not wasting bfg ammo if you're full on it, but not full on other types of ammo.


Yeah that's pretty obvious, I don't know why I didn't realize that... derp

Yholl wrote:Because it can't be changed on the fly.


I see. That's fair enough. Though now I'm curious as to why that design choice was made.
Dr. Shotgun
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2016

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Postby IDKrisis » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:06 pm

Having played with each of the weapon sets through each of their matching megawads, I though I would give some feedback. I've listed them in the order I tried them.


Doom 2

Everything seemed smoother and more refined overall. Even the sounds seemed more satisfying. The BFG is now a lot more reliable and fun to use.


Evilution

This weapon set seemed a little bit more high-tech than vanilla and nearly all the weapons were great fun to use. I tended to use the Halderman device when revisiting areas I'd cleared out to look for secrets, but it didn't see much use overall.


Plutonia

Using these weapons made me feel like a grizzled veteran. I particularly liked the machine guns.


JPCP

With this collection, I especially enjoyed sneaking up on enemies to take them out with the silenced pistol or the katana. I would often switch to the energy katana for close combat in place of the neutron guns, but the neutron guns saw plentiful use too. I also enjoyed sealing the bigger demons with the ofuda caster.


Ancient Aliens

My personal favourite. All of the weapons were huge fun to use. I would often use the stasis bow to lock down troublesome revenants and I'm glad no-one was around to hear my manic laughter when I powered up the Illuminator.


Back to Saturn X (Tested with episode 1)

I had some trouble with the shotgun replacements in this set. Every time I tried to use the machreaper, I would either take a dense cluster of fireballs to the face or do so little damage that it felt like a waste of ammo, so I soon stopped using it altogether. The arc blaster seemed decent, but not strong enough to fill the machreaper's role. Other than these gripes, I still enjoyed myself. I used the nanocore on nearly every level after I found it and took great pleasure in using the pulse rifle. The X-spark cannon is spectacular.


Alien Vendetta

The thunder and roar of the shattergun from this set soon began to fill every corridor once I'd found it. I also enjoyed makiing regular use of the tornado battery. The phased-tachyon cannon took some getting used to, but I enjoyed the sense of power it gave me.


Whitemare

Ah, who doesn't enjoy a cozy little fire when its cold outside? Throw another caco on the fire, would you? I would often take out the blazeblade when tackling groups of imps with this set. The firegrasp was particularly fun to use and as for the Sol's wrath... if this game was more realistic, it would melt the buildings, let alone the snow! I should probably get some sunscreen before using that again.


Hellbound

These weapons really made me feel powerful. I would often use the Zaiger rifle to take out hell knights and throw C4 into the middle of demon hordes. I tended to use the borstal shotgun a lot because I found the burst fire oddly satisfying.
User avatar
IDKrisis
Dreaming in Pixels
 
Joined: 08 Jan 2018

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests