[3.4!] FINAL DOOMER +

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SpaceyStrife

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Post by SpaceyStrife »

What would be the best way for an addon wad to check which weapon set the player is currently using? I might be able to try something for the heck of it.

EDIT: Here's a proof of concept.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/m99b6xvj ... s.wad/file

Load this alongside the main Final Doomer wad and it'll make the Zombieman, Shotgunner and Chaingunner fire BTSX projectiles. The projectiles trigger infighting, and the chaingunner has a rudimentary version of the rifle's powershot mechanic, too.
Last edited by SpaceyStrife on Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
making4

Post by making4 »

Xterra wrote: EDIT: It's got something to do with the autoaim fix, I think. Commenting out three lines in the relevant weapon's definition relating to calling the autoaim check script (lines 54-56 in ./DECORATE/AlienVendetta/plasmarifle.dec) resulted in the weapon functioning correctly, but it completely negates the "autoaim fix". What happens on my end, with the DECORATE file unadulterated, is that the gun fires all the zero-damage rail attacks and puffs and otherwise functions normally, but doesn't fire the rail that actually does the damage.
This was happening to me too, and your fix corrected it. Don't mind not having autoaim on that one weapon. Thanks!
Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Alptraum »

SpacemanStrife wrote:What would be the best way for an addon wad to check which weapon set the player is currently using? I might be able to try something for the heck of it.

EDIT: Here's a proof of concept.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/m99b6xvj ... s.wad/file

Load this alongside the main Final Doomer wad and it'll make the Zombieman, Shotgunner and Chaingunner fire BTSX projectiles. The projectiles trigger infighting, and the chaingunner has a rudimentary version of the rifle's powershot mechanic, too.
I will try using it with BTSX next time I run ^^
TaporGaming
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by TaporGaming »

Is Eviternity Guy planned in next update?
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

TaporGaming wrote:Is Eviternity Guy planned in next update?
That would be amazing! Sgt. Shivers make this happen!
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

If I remember correctly, eviternity guy isn't planned yet. I think that Icarus: Alien Vanguard guy is planned though.
Valken

Post by Valken »

That play video was awesome... what was the sound track?

Edit... I found it listed in the video credits. Great trailer showing off the new weapons.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Final Doomer has always been one of my favorite mods but the movement in the current version has ruined it for me. It's like Doomguy broke his legs and is waddling around barely moving. The movement also hurts my eyes to look at.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Rex705 wrote:Final Doomer has always been one of my favorite mods but the movement in the current version has ruined it for me. It's like Doomguy broke his legs and is waddling around barely moving. The movement also hurts my eyes to look at.
First, the movement has not changed since the initial release.
Second, only walking speed is reduced, running is still vanilla speed.
Dr. Shotgun

Post by Dr. Shotgun »

On that note, is it possible for that to be toggled? There are a couple of platforming challenges out there that rely on the vanilla walking speed (where running is too fast and you'd hit a wall, but the current default is too slow to make those jumps).

While I'm at it: Could someone give me a breakdown on what the differences/actual mechanics between the various BFG ammo selections are? I don't quite get it and I didn't see a text file documenting it anywhere...
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Dr. Shotgun wrote:On that note, is it possible for that to be toggled?
Nope.
Dr. Shotgun wrote:While I'm at it: Could someone give me a breakdown on what the differences/actual mechanics between the various BFG ammo selections are? I don't quite get it and I didn't see a text file documenting it anywhere...
  • Large ammo pickups give you BFG ammo
    Cell ammo pickups give you BFG ammo
    Large ammo pickups spawn seperate BFG ammo pickups around themselves
    Cell ammo pickups spawn seperate BFG ammo pickups around themselves
    BFG shares ammo with the plasma rifle equivalent like in vanilla.
Dr. Shotgun

Post by Dr. Shotgun »

Yholl wrote:Nope.
To clarify, I meant that in the sense of "is that a thing that could be added in a later update". If that answer still applies, can I ask why?
Yholl wrote:
  • Large ammo pickups give you BFG ammo
    Cell ammo pickups give you BFG ammo
    Large ammo pickups spawn seperate BFG ammo pickups around themselves
    Cell ammo pickups spawn seperate BFG ammo pickups around themselves
    BFG shares ammo with the plasma rifle equivalent like in vanilla.
What's the practical difference between spawning separate pickups around themselves and the pickups just adding to the counter automatically? I know the literal difference now (thanks for that), but what does that really mean in practice when you'll be running over them anyway?
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Dr. Shotgun wrote:To clarify, I meant that in the sense of "is that a thing that could be added in a later update". If that answer still applies, can I ask why?
Because it can't be changed on the fly.
Dr. Shotgun wrote:What's the practical difference between spawning separate pickups around themselves and the pickups just adding to the counter automatically? I know the literal difference now (thanks for that), but what does that really mean in practice when you'll be running over them anyway?
The difference of not picking up ammo you are full on, therefore not wasting bfg ammo if you're full on it, but not full on other types of ammo.
Dr. Shotgun

Post by Dr. Shotgun »

Yholl wrote:The difference of not picking up ammo you are full on, therefore not wasting bfg ammo if you're full on it, but not full on other types of ammo.
Yeah that's pretty obvious, I don't know why I didn't realize that... derp
Yholl wrote:Because it can't be changed on the fly.
I see. That's fair enough. Though now I'm curious as to why that design choice was made.
IDKrisis

Post by IDKrisis »

Having played with each of the weapon sets through each of their matching megawads, I though I would give some feedback. I've listed them in the order I tried them.

Doom 2

Everything seemed smoother and more refined overall. Even the sounds seemed more satisfying. The BFG is now a lot more reliable and fun to use.

Evilution

This weapon set seemed a little bit more high-tech than vanilla and nearly all the weapons were great fun to use. I tended to use the Halderman device when revisiting areas I'd cleared out to look for secrets, but it didn't see much use overall.

Plutonia

Using these weapons made me feel like a grizzled veteran. I particularly liked the machine guns.

JPCP

With this collection, I especially enjoyed sneaking up on enemies to take them out with the silenced pistol or the katana. I would often switch to the energy katana for close combat in place of the neutron guns, but the neutron guns saw plentiful use too. I also enjoyed sealing the bigger demons with the ofuda caster.

Ancient Aliens

My personal favourite. All of the weapons were huge fun to use. I would often use the stasis bow to lock down troublesome revenants and I'm glad no-one was around to hear my manic laughter when I powered up the Illuminator.

Back to Saturn X (Tested with episode 1)

I had some trouble with the shotgun replacements in this set. Every time I tried to use the machreaper, I would either take a dense cluster of fireballs to the face or do so little damage that it felt like a waste of ammo, so I soon stopped using it altogether. The arc blaster seemed decent, but not strong enough to fill the machreaper's role. Other than these gripes, I still enjoyed myself. I used the nanocore on nearly every level after I found it and took great pleasure in using the pulse rifle. The X-spark cannon is spectacular.

Alien Vendetta

The thunder and roar of the shattergun from this set soon began to fill every corridor once I'd found it. I also enjoyed makiing regular use of the tornado battery. The phased-tachyon cannon took some getting used to, but I enjoyed the sense of power it gave me.

Whitemare

Ah, who doesn't enjoy a cozy little fire when its cold outside? Throw another caco on the fire, would you? I would often take out the blazeblade when tackling groups of imps with this set. The firegrasp was particularly fun to use and as for the Sol's wrath... if this game was more realistic, it would melt the buildings, let alone the snow! I should probably get some sunscreen before using that again.

Hellbound

These weapons really made me feel powerful. I would often use the Zaiger rifle to take out hell knights and throw C4 into the middle of demon hordes. I tended to use the borstal shotgun a lot because I found the burst fire oddly satisfying.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”