[3.4!] FINAL DOOMER +

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Yholl

Re: [3.1!] FINAL DOOMER +

Post by Yholl »

Tartlman wrote:I do agree that the Nanocore should be buffed. I think that rather than replacing the berserk, it should be charged by sphere pickups since those are usually given when shit is about to hit the fan and you'll really need that nanocore.
no

I dream of a time when people accept the NanoCore as a gift instead of a curse
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:the Blazeblade isn't particularly useful as a melee weapon, i think it could be a bit stronger. even when 'zerked, it sometimes fails to kill a Pinky for example.
Not every melee weapon needs to be an absolute powerhouse.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:the flames it shoots out also have a really short range, and could be a bit longer and probably do a bit more damage as well.
It's basically a free short range shotgun blast that'll kill anything behind whatever you just killed. I don't see how that needs a buff.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:Sol's Wrath could also be buffed. the damage it deals is decent enough, but the range is rather shallow and often gets me killed when aiming it at the enemy, as well as blocking my view, which makes it hard to see what i'm actually hitting.
I'm definitely not buffing that thing, it's a monster.
Boondorl wrote:The railgun is broken with auto aim on because you're returning the wrong pitch value with the ACS script that checks it. I'm not quite sure why this is being done.
It's not wrong at all, this is a mod designed for 2.1.1, and this is how pitch works here.

I super duper appreciate the effort you've gone to here to help me, I'm very grateful to you. There's just a few issues here, heh.
First, I'm an absolute brainlet and didn't understand any of it at all.
Second, I got someone to help me understand, and apparently what you've done wasn't quite right? I don't really know the specifics of it myself. In the end, we added a compat cvar like you suggested, and just added a single line, and now it seems to work fine for modern GZDoom. It was just inverted, after all.

Again, thanks for going to all this trouble to help me, and for the idea of a compat cvar.
Boondorl wrote:I haven't used A_RailAttack much so I'm assuming something breaks with your mod when auto aim is on, but it seems it'd be best to just let the engine handle it.
The engine doesn't handle it, that's what started this.

Anyway, assuming no other bugs popup between now and tomorrow, I'll upload 3.2 then.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

I think the Nanocore is fine the way it is. The whole point of it is that it rewards you for avoiding damage completely; if you can satisfy that requirement, it will last till the end of any level, regardless of length. Technically speaking, sphere pickups do charge it, in the sense that the best time to use it is right after getting a sphere, since that will give you the biggest buffer (200 health gives you a buffer of 50 health), and thus the biggest margin for error.

Having said that, I do think the timer based option is a good too. It fundamentally changes the strategy of Nanocore usage; while it removes the possibility of the buff lasting an entire level, it does make it easier to hold on to in the short term, since no amount of damage taken will deprive you of it. So while success can be maximised with the buffer type by using it when your health is fully stacked, the timer type depends on you estimating when you are going to face the toughest fight of the level, and only using it then.

Either way, I think the Nanocore shows its most worth when replaying a level than first-timing one - if you know what you're going to be up against, figuring out the optimum time to smack that little ball is easy.

Anyway, my thoughts on the new classes.

VendettaGuy: The first time I played as him I was worried he was too similar to TNTGuy (their guns both seem to focus on high fire rates), but having played through the same levels as both, I realize now they play quite differently. The staff makes an interesting tool for pinning monsters in place, and is genuinely useful against flyers. The Shattergun is interesting and unique as an SSG, and the Tachyon Cannon does an excellent job of scratching my railgun itch (I play with mouselook and no autoaim, so I didn't have any issues with it). The other guns have interesting designs, but otherwise just do a good enough job. I hadn't had a chance yet to try out the Vendetta Gun.

WhitemareGuy: Love the Whitemare weapon set...hate the Whitemare map-pack though. I do love that the Thermocoat has a superhero cape attached to it, and its heat-gathering mechanics tie in perfectly with the DOT mechanics of the weapons (that said, is the meter supposed to stop decaying when completely full?). The Dragon King SSG has a nice unique design, especially the way it pops open like a cassette player to reload. My feelings about the Gatling Fury are mixed - on one hand, its superheating mechanic doesn't lend itself well to firing short, controlled bursts; it is better used in protracted fights against massive hordes or bosses, where you are guaranteed to still have plenty to shoot at while the superheat buff runs its course. On the other hand, being the only hitscan weapon in your arsenal, it is rather essential for shooting through thin gaps and faraway targets, and being without it or without ammo for it (because you used it all to hose down a horde) does make life harder in those situations. Of the whole arsenal, the standout to me is the Firegrasp Launcher - charging it instead of launching shots continually is a refreshing change from the other slot 5 weapons.

HellboundGuy: Of the three new loadouts, this one is my favourite. It seems to be designed with rewarding good trigger discipline in mind, and the resulting gameplay challenges kept things endlessly fresh and interesting. I'm a sucker for the hammers in mods such as Accessories to Murder, Demon Steele and GMOTA, and the Hammerite does the same job perfectly. Hefting it up and caving in Hell Knight's face with it is just as satisfying as it should be; the only way it could be better would be if one of the options for the writing on the handle was just "STOP". I had a lot of fun loading enemies up with C4 and then detonating them all at once, and the Totenheim...oh, the Totenheim. The instant I picked it up I simply broke out in deranged giggling, and couldn't stop until I ran out of shots. All in all, this is an arsenal best used with Nashgore and Beethoven's Ode To Joy complementing it.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I have a minor complaint D:

While dropped shotguns now properly give half or your defined dropamount, it's not true for the chainguns yet.

Edit: I dun goofed, weapons and ammo summoned via console are treated as dropped.

Edit2: TNTGuy gets 20 bullets from placed chainguns and 30 from dropped ones. Ammo Pickup and Dropped Ammo Amounts are set to their default values (1.0 & 0.5)

Edit3: VendettaGuy gets 15 bullets from placed AND dropped chainguns.

All other guys seem to be fine, nice test map btw! :3

Edit4: PlutGuy gets 50 Cell ammo from backpacks instead of 10 (like a small pickup)
VendettaGuy gets 18/9 bullets from placed/dropped clips but 15 from backpacks.

This should be all.

Also, why is there a lone explosive barrel with 20,000HP in the test map? XD
Yholl

Re: [3.2!] FINAL DOOMER +

Post by Yholl »

3.2 is now released, adding in a menu option for compatibility with modern GZDoom. If you're having issues with the Phased-tachyon Gun's autoaim, set that to modern and it should work now!

please for the love of god work now

Anyway, enjoy!
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

https://www.loom.com/share/8a99e9747b36 ... d2b781dac6

unfortunately the phased-tachyon cannon still doesn't work properly for me
recorded with gzdoom 3.2.5
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

It works for me in 4.2.0. If you don't mind me asking, what's making you stick to 3.2.5?
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

i'm sticking to 3.2.5 mostly for better performance.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Have you tried 3.8.2 Vintage?
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

The three new weapon sets are really fun and unique! Hellbound's has quickly become my favorite. I already have a more careful play style so the fact that the weapons have more involved reload/windup mechanics plays into that nicely. My highlight so far was playing Sunlust's 4th map and reaching a section with a group of inactive Revenants on pillars that wake up when you hit a switch; I planted C4's on all of them, pushed the detonator right after waking them, and cackled like a loon. 10/10.

I was going to suggest hiding or reducing Whitemare's DOT burning effect on monsters that have fire resistance, but with 3.2 making blue fire bypass this resistance, it's probably better to keep it as a visual indicator of which monsters need to be burned more.
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

Great patch, i really like all three new weapon sets. And i have a 2 sugestions:
-Vendetta super shotty: dunno, that 1 second of controling spray and pray is not really practical, maybe its just me, but maybe rise dmg a little and increase spraying time?
-Hellbound super shotgun: its just basically a vanilla SSG with knockback, meh, maybe up the dmg and\or make monsters that are knocked back take additional dmg when they hit wall\object
because for now regular shotgun has basically the same DPS and better accuracy
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

-Hellbound super shotgun: its just basically a vanilla SSG with knockback, meh, maybe up the dmg and\or make monsters that are knocked back take additional dmg when they hit wall\object
I don't know about that, it's already really strong. I think it does more damage than the vanilla SSG, but has more spread. It gibs any enemy that can be gibbed even when not giving them the full buckshot amount.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Valherran wrote:
I don't know about that, it's already really strong. I think it does more damage than the vanilla SSG, but has more spread. It gibs any enemy that can be gibbed even when not giving them the full buckshot amount.
The knockback's super useful for getting out of tight spots. More breathing room means more staying alive.
sirleviatan

Post by sirleviatan »

an essential mod for Doom fans, 10/10 thank you very much.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

the knockback on the Hellbound SSG is actually really significant. it means that instead of backing away from a Baron everytime you shoot, you can actually push the Baron back instead. that comes in handy more than a few times.
Xada

Post by Xada »

This is a real blast to play through on wads in general. Love mixing it with various mob mixers and the like. Great work here!

The only issue I'm really seeing with it (perhaps more of a personal preference) is the dry weapon-switch thing. Will there ever be an option (a CVAR perhaps) to change this to make weapon/ammo switching more smooth? I have encountered several somewhat frustrating scenarios where I'll swap quickly to a weapon only to have it do the empty click and not swap out for a weapon that has ammo. It causes a bit of a break in gameplay momentum. Can be an issue with ammo scarce wads and dry-clicking on two weapons in a row for instance

Point aside, I'm really looking forward to updates! Absolutely loving the addition of Hellbound and Vendetta arsenals.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”