[3.4!] FINAL DOOMER +

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tartlman

Re: [3.1!] FINAL DOOMER +

Post by Tartlman »

Here's footage of the AV railgun not autoaiming:
https://www.loom.com/share/d6f60a28cbbf ... 3c860e5146

i've already redownloaded final doomer once, so i'm probably not accidentally using v3.0

note: this was recorded with gzdoom 3.2.5
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

And this one was GZD 4.2.0 with FD 3.1 (the bit with the hellbound shotgun was meant to prove that)
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

@SiFi270

I can't gather from the video what your problem is. If you mean that the cyberdemon doesn't take damage from the first weapon it's because it does splash damage only to which the cyberdemon is immune.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Spoiler: Two videos this time
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Now that's weird.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

I've been really enjoying the mod playing Ancient Aliens. First I tried the Aliensguy, then the Hellbound guy, then the BTSX guy (For each episode). I feel like BTSX needs some tweaks though.

I really feel like the SSG range needs to be doubled or at least close to it. Both shotguns lack the ability to clear rooms quickly like the other classes, and levels that rely on that mechanic suffer badly. Is there gameplay from BTSX that promotes this?

I also think the "once per level" with the Nanocore is a bit silly. A lot of modern levels take 20 or so minutes to complete and having a Tome of Power like powerup taking up the chainsaw slot being only usable once per level is a bit underwhelming. Perhaps either of the following options.
-An option to make the Nanocore replace the berserk powerup and have it used only one charge per pickup.
-An option to make the Nanocore reuseable per level, but it takes 25 health to boot and uses the countdown timer with the remaining health.

I'm sure you'll say no and I'll probably just have a hacked version for myself, but I'd figure it would be worth a shot to at least mention my opinion. BTSX guy just seems a bit weak in the shotgun department.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

TheLetterTen wrote:I downloaded the stand alone HUD files, is there a way to get a selection screen for the different HUDs w/o the weapon sets ?
No.
Tartlman wrote:Here's footage of the AV railgun not autoaiming
note: this was recorded with gzdoom 3.2.5
SiFi270 wrote:And this one was GZD 4.2.0 with FD 3.1
Welp, hate to say it, but you'll have to deal with it. It works fine in 2.1.1, and looks like anything modern won't work with this gun. Sorry.
blackfish wrote:I'm sure you'll say no
You are entirely correct.
The NanoCore is the way it is literally because of people feeling this way. It's not spammable. It's not something you can just find about the place. If you're too worried about wasting it to ever even use it, that's your problem.
It's a strategic decision you have to make about whether to use it or not, and having multiple uses removes the strategy from it.
I already added in the timer mode because people complained about the health-buffer version. The NanoCore is extremely powerful, far more than any other chainsaw-replacement, and I will not give easy access to it.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

The issue with the railgun and autoaim actually lies in the A_Railgun attack itself. Even though the trail and rail look to be hitting the target, it actually isn't. Take a gander at the GIF below where I removed the custom puff and trail to see where the attack is actually hitting:

Auto-aim is set to 35 (max) and you can see the puff states that I hit the Cyber right in the booty. All comes down to that age-old rail and autoaim.
Panzermann11
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Panzermann11 »

I don't know why but after the 3.1 update the Borstal in the Hellbound weapon set seemed to sound a little bit quiet for me.
In 3.0, the noise sounded loud and had a lot of punch to it.
Spoiler: 3.0's shooting sound
Spoiler: 3.1's shooting sound
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Spoiler: Got a light?
You guys get the early 360p zdoomtreon edition. Mostly because I gotta run out and I don't have time to wait for this to finish transcoding or whatever.

WhitemareGuy is great.
HEY, PERSON. Play with WhitemareGuy next time. You'll love it.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

faslrn wrote:The issue with the railgun and autoaim actually lies in the A_Railgun attack itself.
Yes, I literally just said what the problem is.
Finder153 wrote:I don't know why but after the 3.1 update the Borstal in the Hellbound weapon set seemed to sound a little bit quiet for me.
Those are almost identical.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

blackfish wrote:I've been really enjoying the mod playing Ancient Aliens. First I tried the Aliensguy, then the Hellbound guy, then the BTSX guy (For each episode). I feel like BTSX needs some tweaks though.

I really feel like the SSG range needs to be doubled or at least close to it. Both shotguns lack the ability to clear rooms quickly like the other classes, and levels that rely on that mechanic suffer badly. Is there gameplay from BTSX that promotes this?

I also think the "once per level" with the Nanocore is a bit silly. A lot of modern levels take 20 or so minutes to complete and having a Tome of Power like powerup taking up the chainsaw slot being only usable once per level is a bit underwhelming. Perhaps either of the following options.
-An option to make the Nanocore replace the berserk powerup and have it used only one charge per pickup.
-An option to make the Nanocore reuseable per level, but it takes 25 health to boot and uses the countdown timer with the remaining health.

I'm sure you'll say no and I'll probably just have a hacked version for myself, but I'd figure it would be worth a shot to at least mention my opinion. BTSX guy just seems a bit weak in the shotgun department.
BTSX guy isn't weak in the shotgun department, i'd say. The normal shotgun is really good and its long range capabilities make up for the ssg's range.
Also, the wub cannon can one shot a cacodemon. It's really, really strong.

I do agree that the Nanocore should be buffed. I think that rather than replacing the berserk, it should be charged by sphere pickups since those are usually given when shit is about to hit the fan and you'll really need that nanocore.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i really like the concept of Whitemareguy. he ended up being one of my favorites of the newcomers, though i think some of the weapons could do with a bit of a buff.

the Blazeblade isn't particularly useful as a melee weapon, i think it could be a bit stronger. even when 'zerked, it sometimes fails to kill a Pinky for example. the flames it shoots out also have a really short range, and could be a bit longer and probably do a bit more damage as well. it's also a bit unreliable in actually hitting something because of its activation.

Sol's Wrath could also be buffed. the damage it deals is decent enough, but the range is rather shallow and often gets me killed when aiming it at the enemy, as well as blocking my view, which makes it hard to see what i'm actually hitting. i don't think it needs to deal more damage, but perhaps it could fire a bit longer, while maybe obscuring your view a bit less.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i really like the concept of Whitemareguy. he ended up being one of my favorites of the newcomers, though i think some of the weapons could do with a bit of a buff.

the Blazeblade isn't particularly useful as a melee weapon, i think it could be a bit stronger. even when 'zerked, it sometimes fails to kill a Pinky for example. the flames it shoots out also have a really short range, and could be a bit longer and probably do a bit more damage as well. it's also a bit unreliable in actually hitting something because of its activation.

Sol's Wrath could also be buffed. the damage it deals is decent enough, but the range is rather shallow and often gets me killed when aiming it at the enemy, as well as blocking my view, which makes it hard to see what i'm actually hitting. i don't think it needs to deal more damage, but perhaps it could fire a bit longer, while maybe obscuring your view a bit less.
I... i don't think that whitemare guy needs a buff. I can steamroll most difficult vanilla mapsets with him, and it doesn't help that the pistol is good enough to kill everything that moves.

On another note, i'm making some sprite packs that replace the vanilla sprites with final doomer ones. I might post them here later...
Boondorl

Post by Boondorl »

The railgun is broken with auto aim on because you're returning the wrong pitch value with the ACS script that checks it. I'm not quite sure why this is being done. I haven't used A_RailAttack much so I'm assuming something breaks with your mod when auto aim is on, but it seems it'd be best to just let the engine handle it. I don't have access to the header file needed to recompile it, but FDRail_GetRelativePitch is definitely the culprit here. And if I had to pinpoint a specific part:

Code: Select all

int height = playerZ - puffZ;
it would be this. Swap playerZ and puffZ. If you want a vector that points from the source to the target, you need to do (target - source). You're returning the opposite pitch value at the moment. On that note, you're also getting the wrong x and y values.

Code: Select all

int x = getActorX(0) - getActorX(puffTID[PlayerNumber()]),y = getActorY(0) - getActorY(puffTID[PlayerNumber()]);
GetActor#(0) and GetActor#(puffTID[PlayerNumber()]) need to be swapped, though this one doesn't matter since you're finding the length which is just sqrt(x^2 + y^2).

I know at one point the pitch functionality got messed around with, too. I think there was an issue with the way it was being handled and they had to fix it, which is why it might seem like it works fine on older versions but is broken in newer ones. I had to deal with my own headache with my mod when they readjusted it. Easiest solution here is to use a compatibility CVAR. Grab it before doing the last calculation and if set to 1 (support for GZDoom 2.1.1 and older), use (absoluteAngle+GetActorPitch(0)) at the end of the function, otherwise use -(absoluteAngle+GetActorPitch(0)).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”