[3.4!] FINAL DOOMER +

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
shadstarn

Re: [2.4] FINAL DOOMER +

Post by shadstarn »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:Metally look? I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe take a screenshot so I can see.

when i make stuff they look just cartoony i cant get the gritty look to the metal or to the guns....
Kyotra

Post by Kyotra »

shadstarn wrote: when i make stuff they look just cartoony i cant get the gritty look to the metal or to the guns....
That's probably because you fill everything in with flat swaths of color. You have to simulate reflections and lighting (shadows). Also use transitional gradients instead of hard color changes between areas of different color.
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

Kyotra wrote:
shadstarn wrote: when i make stuff they look just cartoony i cant get the gritty look to the metal or to the guns....
That's probably because you fill everything in with flat swaths of color. You have to simulate reflections and lighting (shadows). Also use transitional gradients instead of hard color changes between areas of different color.
i do exactly that but there needs to be some kind of metally look too you know
do any of you hve messengers i can show you my work and see if you can guide me?
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

shadstarn wrote:do any of you hve messengers i can show you my work and see if you can guide me?
I've talked to you on discord before, do you still use that?
VGA

Post by VGA »

I played a couple of maps of BTSX E1 with the BTSX set and I have to say, this weapon set feels weaker than vanilla! And way waayy weaker than the Plutonia set.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I played through the entirety of Ancient Aliens as Ancient Aliens guy...and I gotta say I was quite surprised how effective the alien rifle was as a plasma rifle replacement. To say nothing of the Illuminator pretty much decimating a single cyberdemon from full health if the whole thing hits.

The Photon Staff made rocket sniping a whole lot more fun to pretty much one-shot those big-ass mobs like mancubi and arachnotrons or small groups.
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:
shadstarn wrote:do any of you hve messengers i can show you my work and see if you can guide me?
I've talked to you on discord before, do you still use that?
yes where can i find you.. i think i am on your server
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

VGA wrote:I played a couple of maps of BTSX E1 with the BTSX set and I have to say, this weapon set feels weaker than vanilla! And way waayy weaker than the Plutonia set.
I think the BTS-X weaponset, well, revolves around Nanocore, which can be a REAL nightmare when there are hitscanners and revenants everywhere.
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

Yeah, BTSX is probably the most unconventional weapon set and I had a rough time with it at first, but I think it makes up for it by having really strong endgame weapons especially with Nanocore boosts. Pulse Cannon is good for close quarters, Plasma Vulcan shreds anything at close to mid range and makes Archviles a non-issue, Mach Reaper can one-shot Revenants and Cacos at point blank pretty consistently after you get used to the idea that it's a melee weapon (and shotgun ammo is everywhere in BTSX-E1), and X-Spark is amazing for crowd control if you can lure all of the monsters into its range.

Anyway, I started using this mod a few months ago and it's become my go-to for vanilla-like gameplay. While I appreciate the cool new effects that mods like Beautiful Doom bring to the table, Final Doomer+ occupies a sweet spot for me where it adds just enough to give the weapons that extra "punch" that was lacking in pure vanilla without straying too far from what most map sets were built for. The new weapons fit their respective map sets perfectly too; I'd be curious to know what the original map designers think of them, haha.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

VGA wrote:I played a couple of maps of BTSX E1 with the BTSX set and I have to say, this weapon set feels weaker than vanilla! And way waayy weaker than the Plutonia set.
It's kinda terrifying you can even think that, considering how monstrous the BTSX weapons are.
dljosef wrote:I think the BTS-X weaponset, well, revolves around Nanocore, which can be a REAL nightmare when there are hitscanners and revenants everywhere.
I doesn't revolve around the NanoCore, the NanoCore is a strategic boost, like a tome of power. The weaponry stands perfectly well without it, with it, they become quite ridiculously powerful.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

I think it's mostly how the utility and usage of the BTSX weapons can throw one off. In their element (like the point-blank necessity for the Machreaper), they wreck face. But they're a bit more specialized compared to the other weapon sets to presumably try to balance them out, and thus necessitate a bit of a different playstyle unless you Nanocore up, can avoid most damage and consequently exploit it for all its worth to eliminate everything around you.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

the Nanocore isn't really that big of a dealbreaker, honestly. it's more like if you got an inventory item or powerup that you can turn on at any point you deem necessary. while the boost it gives to weapons is pretty good, which makes them slightly more reliable at taking down enemies in fewer hits, you're not absolutely screwed should you lose it. i don't think it even increases the damage of the Plasma Vulcan or X Spark Cannon, which should tell you how unbearably powerful they are when you release them at the right time.

if the Nanocore got a buff, then BTSXguy would probably be the most powerful character of them all. :P at the absolute most, i could see the weapon possibly being recharged if you found another Nanocore in the level. i think that would be okay to introduce.
VGA

Post by VGA »

The SSG replacement is situational and consumes 3 ammo, the shotgun replacement is a bit weak, the rocket replacement is not as damaging as the vanilla rocket spam but it doesn't damage you so I guess that one balances out. The chaingun replacement just spams low damage, unbelievably weaker than Plutonia's slot 4 and the vanilla Chaingun. And it's not even hitscan. I haven't seen it stunlocking at all.

OK, slot 6 and slot 7 are powerful but I haven't gotten them yet. But the basic weapons are weaker than vanilla and are not hitscan.

The fact that the SSG replacement is so limited and consumes 3 ammo means that I can't just use it against imps and zombies one by one so I have to switch weapons too often. Whereas with the vanilla SSG you consume 2 ammo and easily obliterate 2+ enemies with one shot.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

the Machreaper is the strongest SSG out of all the classes, though. it's hardly "situational" when a point-blank with it KO's Revenants, Cacos and Pain Elementals in one shot, and two shots is enough to dunk an Archvile. that's 2 whole shells saved compared to the original SSG, where you have to be more precise with where the pellets land to even have a chance to 4HKO it. here, as long as you're up against an enemy, it'll do full damage guaranteed.

the shotgun isn't any weaker than the vanilla shotgun, from what i remember, and it being a projectile gives it the advantage of perfect accuracy over long distances, whereas the Nanocore boosted mode gives it a pretty beefy spread. also, the projectile bounces off walls and auto-homes into nearby enemies, which gives it a tactical advantage over the other shotguns. it's only weaker once it bounces off walls, but shotgun shells are so abundant, and it's enough to at least kill some regular Zombiement and Shotgunners.

the rocket launcher is weaker precisely because it doesn't do any splash damage towards you. you can run into crowds and blast them apart with no need to concern yourself of suffering and backlash in the process. yet another tactical advantage that the other rocket launchers doesn't have.

the Pulse Rifle has a charged shot you can use but has to recharge every 30 seconds. the charged shot itself is 5x stronger than the other blasts, which can reliably take down Imps in one hit, and since it's projectile based, it also has great accuracy. it's sort of a mini-plasma gun that way. and IIRC it has higher ammo capacity to make up for its lower overall damage, so you can spam it more than usual.
VGA

Post by VGA »

OK I will have to stick with it and try to make it work, with more weapon switching. Maybe I am too lazy :D

By the way, are there any plans for future sets?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”