[3.4!] FINAL DOOMER +

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Yholl

Re: [POLL RESULTS!] FINAL DOOMER

Post by Yholl »

DoomKrakken wrote:How fast do you guys come up with this stuff?! :D
GAA1992 wrote:They probably used them Alien-techs to travel ahead on time and see the poll results.
SiFi270 wrote:Or they correctly guessed from the neverending hype surrounding the wad that it'd be the most nominated.
Fun fact! While we did do some minor brainstorming on many different weapon sets while they were in the lead, we did not start work on any part of 2.0 until the poll results were in.

So yeah.
Shivers and I can be a little horrifyingly efficient at times.
Spoiler:
DoomRater wrote:It genuinely sounded like sarcasm especially since I found nothing indicating that damage on a projectile was different from damage on a rail attack.
Oh no, I wouldn't be sarcastic about something that's fixed, or broken or needs fixing or whatever. I generally mean what I say when it comes to mod development. I can understand how you could misunderstand me though, hahahaha.

In any case, the end result of science is thus; the projectiles hit twice somehow. Very strange. But yeah, that means the railgun-based attack was doing 5 damage, and the projectiles were dealing 10 because shenanigans. They all use projectiles for dealing damage now, so all are equal. Sorry to all the people who need simple mode, you'll have to wait a bit until 2.0 is done for the fixed Maser.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Thank you for clarifying! I really didn't want to drag that out any longer but wanted to make sure everything was going to be consistent. No hard feelings; the 5inati lives on. In fact, I'll be back with a relevant pic from Credible Hulk's Facebook page.
Edit: "Five"
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I saw that in my Math Lab... it was amazing. :D
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Me and Yholl did a quick playtest, everything seems to be working nicely. [REDACTED] is the best chainsaw replacement.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Looks Hella Rad, alright! So it pinches the monsters and shock them at the same time or something?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I doubt it'd pinch. It seems to run off of cell ammo...
MasoGuy
Location: Walking the Earth (There was no more room in hell...)

Post by MasoGuy »

I'm curious will you be releasing each weapon set as they are finished, or will it all be in one batch?
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

OH shit, it's gonna be fun mix and matching these sets to see what happens.
Also, a little thing: Spawn BFG ammo as separate actors?
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

MasoGuy wrote:I'm curious will you be releasing each weapon set as they are finished, or will it all be in one batch?
One batch. 2.0 will have three new weaponsets.
Ikazu-san wrote:Also, a little thing: Spawn BFG ammo as separate actors?
Dunno why you'd even want that. You'd be entirely reliant on RNG looking favourably upon you for BFG ammo.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Yholl wrote:Dunno why you'd even want that. You'd be entirely reliant on RNG looking favourably upon you for BFG ammo.
Because it's actually quite fun that way... it's fun in Heretic, it's fun in Doom 3, it's fun in DOOM, it's fun in Guncaster, and it's fun in Trailblazer. It takes the hassle out of juggling massive amounts of ammo between weapons... but it also has its drawbacks, like you said.

Here's another idea... make two BFGs... one that runs off of the same ammo as the plasma rifle replacement, and another that runs off of its own ammo. If you wanna take it a bit further... instead of making each class have two BFGs, just make some of the BFGs have the more "modern" ammo mechanic, and others the more "classic" mechanic. Or take it in a different direction and give each class's BFG a firing mode that requires separate ammo, but keep the original firing mode you have as well, so that players can choose to take from the rare pool of ammo to unleash something devastating, or from their more common plasma ammo pool to unleash something somewhat less devastating.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

That seems like changing something for the sake of changing it, not because it would improve upon the existing mechanics.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I actually wouldn't mind if it stayed the same. I was only giving ideas of what to do if giving the BFG a separate ammo type were to happen. It wouldn't improve on the existing mechanics... it'd just be different.
Rozy

Post by Rozy »

I kinda think giving the BFG it's own ammo type if anything gives the plasma guns a new lease on life. Because when you have both there's very little point in pulling the plasma gun out anymore in a lot of cases, because the BFG is just far more efficient with cell usage. I mean you can fire 80 cells at a spider mastermind at close range with the BFG or around 200 or so. One of those is objectively a better idea.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

That's what it feels like in Doom...
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Yholl wrote:... You'd be entirely reliant on RNG looking favourably upon you for BFG ammo.
What, no! I'm talking about something like lil' battery spawning along cell/big ammo pickups. So you can get the shells without worrying about wasting potential BFG shots or vice versa.
Unless it was initial choice to not let us do that, in which case mail me directly into med bay.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”