[3.4!] FINAL DOOMER +

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: [2.4] FINAL DOOMER +

Post by Dwailing »

I'm curious, have you thought about making a weapon set for Dimension of the Boomed? It seems like it would be a great fit for this mod, and I'd love to see a set of Quake-inspired weapons to go with the Quake-inspired design of the maps. There are mods that add Quake weapons and enemies to Doom, of course, but I'd like to see something done in the Doom style (i.e. sprite-based) since, you know, what's the point of playing a Quake-inspired map pack for Doom with the weapons and enemies from Quake? You might as well just play Quake at that point, imo, lol. Just a suggestion, ofc. :)
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

m8f wrote:This is a great mod. Thanks for so much fun!

I made a small patch for some Final Doomer weapons to cause special deaths of Beautiful Doom monsters:

- Doom 2 chainsaw, Plutonia circular saw, and JPCP katana cut enemies
- TNT Maser, Doom 2 plasma rifle, and BTSX Plasma gun burn enemies
- BTSX shotgun burns enemies with green fire (because it shoots something green)

Usage:
- This file must be loaded after Beautiful Doom and Final Doomer.
- Beautiful Doom must be loaded without BDoom_Weapons.wad.
Which version of Beautiful Doom was your patch meant for? It's obviously not meant for version 6.3.1, since that version has done away with the Wad-system entirely, just putting it all in one PK3. Would you be interested in making a new patch for the latest version of BeaD? = )

I'm also having trouble running this with the latest BeaD - BeaD's inferior HUD takes overrides the beautiful Plutonia mug-shot! : ( Anybody know what I can edit out to bring back that smug mug?
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

It's all down to the load order: Current Beautiful, then Final Doomer, then M8F's patch.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

I almost submitted a comment about that the patch no longer works. Then saw the SiFi270's comment. Then I found that I had Enhanced Gibs and Deaths disabled in Beautiful Doom settings.

So, just make sure that Enhanced Gibs and Deaths is set to ON. Thanks, SiFi270! :D
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Dwailing wrote:I'm curious, have you thought about making a weapon set for Dimension of the Boomed?
Dunno. Unlike other mapsets that have nothing else to them but the maps and their aesthetic, Dimension of the Boomed is basically Quake, and there's a whole lotta Quake stuff out there.

I think we'd rather make mapsets for stuff like Equinox or Sunlust or whatever. Of course, that's just my view, Shivers might feel differently about it.
Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Dwailing »

Yholl wrote:
Dwailing wrote:I'm curious, have you thought about making a weapon set for Dimension of the Boomed?
Dunno. Unlike other mapsets that have nothing else to them but the maps and their aesthetic, Dimension of the Boomed is basically Quake, and there's a whole lotta Quake stuff out there.

I think we'd rather make mapsets for stuff like Equinox or Sunlust or whatever. Of course, that's just my view, Shivers might feel differently about it.
That's totally fair. I just thought I'd raise the possibility. I look forward to whatever you end up doing next. :)
VGA

Post by VGA »

Quake weapons have been done before and, personally, I find them lacking in animation. Kinda uninteresting.

I would like to see a Hell-themed weapon set, RL-equivalent shooting demonic orbs, and a BFG equivalent that (if technically possible) creates a Hex bubble around the player that damages and slows enemies. A crossbow firing spikes, a Chaingun firing these balls
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini%C3%A9_ball

Something like this for a melee weapon:
https://www.lootmarket.com/dota-2/item/ ... %20Dragger

Just brainstorming, don't eat my face.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

That could maybe work as a class for Master Levels, since it kind of goes with the "exclusively in hell" stories of both Inferno and Cabal.
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

SiFi270 wrote:It's all down to the load order: Current Beautiful, then Final Doomer, then M8F's patch.
Well, damn! 0_o And here I've been kit-bashing beautiful doom to play nicely, and all I had to do was change the load-order! Still... there's a bug. After a few minutes of random play, the gun-info you get while pressing reload, actually turns into an "a"!

Everything else seems to work perfectly... what on Earth can be causing this?
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

DoomN00b wrote:Still... there's a bug. After a few minutes of random play, the gun-info you get while pressing reload, actually turns into an "a"!

Everything else seems to work perfectly... what on Earth can be causing this?
It's caused by saved games. Apparently newer versions of GZDoom actually fix this, so I guess update and see if that is indeed the case.
zitro1987

Post by zitro1987 »

I love the doom 2 weapon set, greatly balancing weapons around the [apparently unchanged] double-barreled shotgun. Feeling the regular shotgun is comparably useful allows 2 choices for shotgun ammo usage now. The chaingun is often a better weapon than super shotgun now, but given the relative scarcity of chaingun ammo, it is a good decision to make it a damaging, pain-inducing, long-distance weapon. The plasma gun also appears somewhat stronger than vanilla. Maybe a gripe would be the BFG apparently doing even more damage than before?

The plutonia regular shotgun is underwhelming, possibly weaker than the pistol in both accuracy, pain interruptions, damage per second, and obviously ammo consumption.

My suggestions are:
*Reduce spread by at least 50% given the sniper look of the weapon.
or
*Increase fire rate by 25%
or
*Increase damage by 25%
or
*a half bonus of above to 2 components.
VGA

Post by VGA »

Isn't the Plutonia shotgun the one which has a round spread instead of horizontal? That makes it much more useful in long range already.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i think its damage was decreased to compensate though? i could be wrong.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

zitro1987 wrote:The plasma gun also appears somewhat stronger than vanilla.
The Chainsaw, SSG and Plasma Rifle are unchanged from vanilla, if I recall correctly.
zitro1987 wrote:Maybe a gripe would be the BFG apparently doing even more damage than before?
Yeah, the vanilla BFG's impact is 100-800, the FD version does a guaranteed 800, making the impact useful if the rays aren't easy to use in some situations.
zitro1987 wrote:The plutonia regular shotgun is underwhelming, possibly weaker than the pistol in both accuracy, pain interruptions, damage per second, and obviously ammo consumption.
Already buffed it in the last page or so, don't worry.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i think its damage was decreased to compensate though? i could be wrong.
Nah.
Wisecrack34

Post by Wisecrack34 »

I recognize the gun pickup sound from somewhere and It's driving me crazy trying to figure it out, something from the N64 I'm pretty sure

Return to “Gameplay Mods”