Aetherius (GZD 4.7.1) (Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife) [hiatus]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
marco.nadal.75

Re: Aetherius [GZDoom for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife]

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

I can't get it to work.

1. I create a new folder on my hdd called \Aetherius\

2. I download the following files from the github links:

117,776,015 DV-DS-ComboPack-master.zip
799,908,791 DV-DS-CompatPacks-master.zip
37,726,428 DV-DS-iDTech1-master.zip

3. I unzip the folder in each .zip to \Aetherius\, restore original folders (to preserve hierarchical structure).

4. Remove "-master" string of each folder to match the command lines given in readme.md and the forum post.

4. Unzip \Aetherius\DV-DS-ComboPack\EXTRAs\gzdoom-x64-g2.4pre-186-g0376c8b.7z to \Aetherius\

5. Copy doom2.wad to \Aetherius\

6. From within \Aetherius\, open cmd prompt. Run the following command:
start gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack" +hud_scale 0 exit

7. Get the following error:

Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
Invalid data encountered for texture :sprites/monsters/custom/sauravatar/thumbs.db
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Script error, ":zscript.zc" line 1:
Unexpected identifier
Expecting end of file or 'include' or 'extend' or 'class' or 'struct' or 'const' or 'enum'

Execution could not continue.

1 errors while parsing :zscript/tiltmenu.zc

Thanks for reading, please help!
Lord Misfit
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Lord Misfit »

Appearantly the 2.4 file included wasn't ever removed from the main repository after ZScript started getting used for Aetherius. >_>;

You need to use the official 3.2 version of GZDoom or a 3.3 prebuild [like @ https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gz ... 4f5b459.7z which is now the new packed in prebuild in the repository]. Pretty sure your errors are all ZScript related.
marco.nadal.75

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

Thank You Lord Misfit.

3.2 did the trick, i have doom2.wad working with Aetherius now. Guilty Gear style air dash, cool!
After assigning a few keys, my screen looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w99ihxntbmcxl ... s.png?dl=0

I think the crosshair is bugged/looks wrong, but it is turned off in engine settings. I browsed the Aetherius settings but couldn't find anything.
Actually, that's a lie. I found hilarious death music options. I mean, I couldn't find anything that said "reticle" or "crosshair".

How do I turn it off?

P.S. How do I post inline images in this forum?
Do I have to rank up before they show up?
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

You can scale down the crosshair overall. Also the one you see there is for that specfic weapon only.
marco.nadal.75

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

Thanks for making the mod, I enjoy the "meta-game" of figuring out how to install and play.
Also it is fun to play and I like the Flora character.

I do have issues with the HUD though. As it is at present, I find the HUD completely overwhelming.
This is how it currently looks on my computer:
Screenshot_Heretic_20171212_121958.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/77yny8ndkdtdp ... 8.png?dl=0

1. It seems like a debug mode -- it presents too much information to the player. Listing 2 decimal points for STAM is completely unnecessary and difficult to read.
When showing monsters HP bar, it lists SPEED, BALANCE, DAMAGE DEALT, DAMAGE TAKEN to 7 significant digits. How is this of use to anyone but someone bugtesting the mod?

2. I can guess what HP, MP, STAM and EXP mean, but what are HLCR, SV, AB, EV? Is it useful to show them to the player at all times?

3. What are the 2 vertical bars to the left of the character portrait?

4. My suggestion:
Aetherius HUD improvement.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1naf1h86gq4r8 ... t.png?dl=0

I hope you keep working on this mod because it is unusual and Flora plays VERY different from the original characters and the FPS melee combat actually works well and feels responsive. Also impressed that you hired an artist, very cool.

And finally:

5. Sorry about the inline screenshots being so small and blurry, please click on the dropbox links for the fullsize versions.
PlayerLin
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

The damage % display can be disabled in the Aetherius mod's menu, and there are some of toggle-able options there for disabling some of HUD things in Aetherius HUD options sub-menu, you should check them first, and you should check those options with "[NEW]" ones.
([OLD] options are for the ACS, text-based HUD, default is NEW HUD, you can just ignore the options with [OLD] ones.)
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

I'm absolutely SPEECHLESS playing this! O__O With all that you can do in it...sheesh!

How do you get the unique crosshairs to work though? I've not seen the unique crosshairs yet for the scepter as I'm playing. What settings do I need to check? Incredible mod!
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Patriot1776 wrote:I'm absolutely SPEECHLESS playing this! O__O With all that you can do in it...sheesh!

How do you get the unique crosshairs to work though? I've not seen the unique crosshairs yet for the scepter as I'm playing. What settings do I need to check? Incredible mod!
Aetherius Settings > Flora Specfic Options > Sceptre's Crosshair > Unique [Default]. There is only one crosshair for it. It's unique in that it's different from the default crosshair used by other weapons, setting it to Not Unique just makes the weapon use the default crosshair other weapons use. People have complained about that crosshair being obstructive in the past, so I added an option for it recently. :V
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

I think I am supposed to download everything in the website you gave us?
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Lord Misfit wrote:
Patriot1776 wrote:I'm absolutely SPEECHLESS playing this! O__O With all that you can do in it...sheesh!

Aetherius Settings > Flora Specfic Options > Sceptre's Crosshair > Unique [Default]. There is only one crosshair for it. It's unique in that it's different from the default crosshair used by other weapons, setting it to Not Unique just makes the weapon use the default crosshair other weapons use. People have complained about that crosshair being obstructive in the past, so I added an option for it recently. :V
Okies. Thanks!

Hehe, just finished the first episode of Heretic with Flora. Gawd! DUAL WIELDING many of the stock weapons? She becomes a nearly unstoppable juggernaut then! :XD: I like the lore you've written in so far Heretic and HeXen. Apparently she and her friends are one heck of a group of magisters to have faced down the Serpent Riders and lived to tell about it before she got swiped and thrust into their conquered domains for a little attempt at revenge by D'Sparil and Korax respectively.

EDIT: Uh, I don't see 'Sceptre's Crosshair' being available...
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Patriot1776 wrote:
Lord Misfit wrote:

Hehe, just finished the first episode of Heretic with Flora. Gawd! DUAL WIELDING many of the stock weapons? She becomes a nearly unstoppable juggernaut then! :XD: I like the lore you've written in so far Heretic and HeXen. Apparently she and her friends are one heck of a group of magisters to have faced down the Serpent Riders and lived to tell about it before she got swiped and thrust into their conquered domains for a little attempt at revenge by D'Sparil and Korax respectively.
It's hard to explain, but if you play through Doom 1, Doom 2, Plutonia and TNT, the intermission texts are also different [all four are connected as one "story", besides the idea that TNT and Plutonia are different "paths" that could happen after Doom 2's part of the story, they don't both happen in the same timeline]. Strife also changes up dialouge and other things as well as having a full compatiblity pack. The implication is that a playthrough of each "game" as Flora is actually an alternate timeline, so for example, Heretic and Hexen's gameplay are different possible realities. The full backstory about "why" they've faced the Serpent Riders previous is extremely long and complex to go into, and involves lore of the characters well outside of the boundaries of the Aetherius main campaign, needless to say. >.>
kadu522
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Aetherius [(GZDoom 3.2.5+) for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife

Post by kadu522 »

Hello Missfit

I got back on playing the mod again after some time and could i recomend so that you only show the stat block when you are trying to put eaon points on them? its not necesary to be on screan at all times and your hud is very busy already.

Also Nash's tilt++ breaks your mod since it has a same named function. nothing tooo big but is worth mentioning.

BTW my game crashes randomly? i am useing gzdoom 3.3 and it happens on nothing in particular. and i find that extra weird.
AvzinElkein

Re: Aetherius [(GZDoom 3.3.1+) for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife

Post by AvzinElkein »

Problem; when I tried to load the ComboPack and iDTech1 .ZIPs, it auto-loaded DOOM2 despite the latter intending for it to be run with other IWADs...
marco.nadal.75

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

Like kadu522, I also returned to this mod after some time. I load an old savegame for Heretic mode
started from batch file, thus:
gzdoom.exe -iwad ..\heretic.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack" "DV-DS-iDTech1/Heretic" +hud_scale 0

... and my HP stays at 200/200, despite having Health degeneration turned ON. I thought this meant that if HP > 100, HP is reduced at -1 HP / second, like in Quake.

Point is, I'm basically unstoppable and all the cute herbs and healing items are useless. Basically, way too easy.

How do i make the game more difficult, besides setting SKILL cvar to a higher value?

BTW, what is the difference between Heretic health items and the new ones?
I would expect the more magical type would act like the health pots in Doom (heal beyond 100) and the more physical types (herbs, food) would heal like the medikits.

Thanks again for making this great mod!
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

Okay... So I should have made very own folder for this mod? Then copy Doom wads and GZdoom in to that folder? I am slightly tired and quite confused how this works.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”