Aetherius [(GZDoom 4.6.1+) for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Aetherius [(GZDoom 4.3.2+) for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife

Postby Lord Misfit » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:39 pm

So what I can address at the moment:

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out why sometimes monster/item counts don't perfectly match up. There is technically a pair of binds that will bump down the max-kills/max-items by 1 each time it's pressed in order to get around this, but still it's been a pain trying to figure out what might be causing this. x.x

The Unmaker is very recent and it's still being tweaked and balanced out [i.e. damage, drop rates for the weapon and demon keys, etc]. Also, as a note: there are two ammo modes for the Unmaker per character. Flora's other mode is Hellcore Heat [like the souls] instead of MP, and the Marines' alternate mode are Cells ala Doom64. The perks also affect the Unmaker to different degrees based on the ammo-mode as well.

The Munchies are different from Summons in the sense that charmed monsters are straight up much stronger [3x~] than just a summoned monster, who have the same stat ranges as enemy versions of a monster. Also monster allies and summons/etc had a recent overhaul to them, which might or might not get more balance related stuff worked on in the future.

Other stuff I'll have to discuss/address at a later time though. >.>;
Lord Misfit
Servant of Aetherius? Servant of Siel?

Discord: Lord Misfit#9594

Postby Starman the Blaziken » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:57 pm

Yeah all I can really say is that the mod on the UV equiv feels a bit like a power fantasy mod with the challenges of being a sensitive leaf to some enemies that turn you into swiss cheese.
And Yes I know their is the power fantasy mode setting, it just ramps down that much in the latter. But the mod is still kinda fun though. :)
Starman the Blaziken

Discord: Starman The Blaziken#2417
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Lord Misfit » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:02 pm

Well actually, I play on Skill 5. See, the default extras of Vanilla [respawning/fast-monsters] aren't enabled on Skill 5 by default in Aetherius. You have to manually turn those options on individually. There's also options to add/subtract "artificial difficulty levels" to whatever your actual difficulty level is, so you could have a game on the equivalent of "Skill 9" instead if you were that crazy. XD

Also the balance is a fickle thing here with how widely varied the difficulty of different Doom mapsets can be. Aetherius was also originally made around a partial set of slaughter maps [Deus Vult] before being separated from them to be usable with a much wider array of mapsets and even different gamemodes, so erring to the side of being a bit more overpowered vs underpowered also came out of that. That's also part of the reason there's such a large slew of options related to changing difficulty in either direction. :P
Lord Misfit

Postby Starman the Blaziken » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:11 pm

So might ye plan to soften it and mold it a bit to the more normal IWADs and WADs of gameplay while keeping one bit of it separate to the slaughter WADs then?
Starman the Blaziken

Discord: Starman The Blaziken#2417
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby jankespro12 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:44 am

Actually i did port Blade of Agony's Health System for the most Source ports who has acs
jankespro12
Banned User

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 32-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby PlayerLin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:42 am

I'm not sure BoA's health system working for a heavy RPG based mod like this...and I think Aetherius' own one has good enough...to me. :3
PlayerLin

Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby jankespro12 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:44 pm

For me is Blade of Agony One also Regi Guns, And even Black and Grey!
jankespro12
Banned User

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 32-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Aetherius [(GZDoom 4.4.1+) for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife

Postby prince_myshkin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:19 am

Hi,

I'm trying to play your Aetherius mod again (I used it before the latest GZDoom update) and am encountering the following console error when I try to load the ComboPack with GZDoom:

[imgur]https://imgur.com/a/N8tY6kW[/imgur]

VM execution aborted: division by zero

Do you know how I could fix this? I'm using the latest version from GitHub and I'd like to play again.
prince_myshkin

Re: Aetherius [(GZDoom 4.4.1+) for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife

Postby Lord Misfit » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:37 am

I don't encounter that issue on my current version of GZDoom [make sure you update via the SVNs @ https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/ [the most recent one as of this post is https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gzdoom-x64-g4.5pre-70-gfcb6e1b18.7z ]

Also, checking those lines in the error message doesn't match up to anything that I expect to be on those lines. I update sporadically for the repository too, so make absolutely sure you've got that updated too.

Based on that message, I'm guessing the issue is possibly a var problem, specifically "dvds_manacostbasestatreq" comes up as the only thing that gets divided by in that function in the error message, and it SHOULD default to "20", but it's possible none of the Aetherius options are set to their defaults options and might all but empty or "0" for some reason. I'd go into "Aetherius Options", go to all the submenus, and check to see if everything is off or not [and if you don't know for sure, hit "Restore Default Settings" in each submenu that has it (also some submenus have so many options you'll have to scroll them to find that), as it'll reset all of that menu's options to their defaults].

"AETHERIUS - Magic/Spell Options" is the menu where the option for "dvds_manacostbasestatreq" is. It's normally supposed to be 20, as I said above, so if it's 0 especially, make sure it to set it to above 0, or back the default 20.

I hope that helps a little.
Lord Misfit

Re: Aetherius [(GZDoom 4.4.2+) for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife

Postby prince_myshkin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:34 am

Thank you, restoring the defaults fixed the problem entirely. Except for one option, which was under Magic/Spell Options and was (SOR+THE) Base For Less Mana Cost. It was set to 0 by default, but whenever I leave it at zero I get the console error and can't play. What was the default value of this option supposed to be?
prince_myshkin

Postby Lord Misfit » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:09 am

20. Appearantly I didn't set one of my aliases to set the default on that value and missed it until now. Time to deal with that. V:

EDIT: New update to the main repository should cover that issue now [with setting defaults not setting the Base Mana Cost option to default].
Lord Misfit

Postby TheBeardedJedi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:10 pm

I think I found a bug in the newest updates: recently, the monsters all have zero speed in the Heretic portion of Aetherius, so they don't move at all. This applies to everything except the gargoyle dash attack.
TheBeardedJedi

Postby TheBeardedJedi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:15 pm

Actually, the lack of monster movement bug is apparent in every game with Aetherius, so I think the bug is in the main repository. Looking at your code I noticed all the monsters have clearly defined speed but it still shows up as "0" ingame with no movement.
TheBeardedJedi

Postby Lord Misfit » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:36 pm

This is mostly like not a "bug" persay, so much as certain CVars that affect Speed calculations for monsters [and possibly other stats as well] aren't set to their defaults but probably some amount like a flat "0". In fact I've been playtesting constantly as early as last night and haven't noticed an issue with 0 Speed monsters at all, no matter what game mode.

This isn't me blaming you or specific players particularly. Sometimes for whatever reason, certain vars don't initialize at what SHOULD be their default values, and instead default to 0 instead. I would recommend you go through all Aetherius options menus and their submenus and if applicable, find the "set default values" options in each that have them, but that's probably the solution, unless there's another example of first-time launched vars not initializing correctly.

EDIT: You might have to set these values multiple times in different game modes [i.e. Doom, Heretic, Hexen and Strife have seperate inis to keep cvar values, and they don't stay the same across all four game modes]
Lord Misfit

Postby TheBeardedJedi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:21 pm

Thank you so much. It worked; resetting the ini fixed everything. This is my favorite mod, so having it back to normal is very good news. Any plans to add another "Dragon Quest" character?

Edit: Or Sauron's true form as a boss?
TheBeardedJedi

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods