Aetherius (GZD 4.7.1) (Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife) [hiatus]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sinael

Re: Aetherius [GZDoom for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife]

Post by Sinael »

What's with the green bar in the middle of a screen in the videos?
Lord Misfit
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Lord Misfit »

Flora's main weapon [the Sceptre] has a very wide and multi-hit arc, and the green "bar" is the weapon's reticle, to indicate this [and the "points" along it represent roughly where the "hits" on the swing land]. If it's a bit too obstructive, you might want to scale down crosshairs.
kadu522
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

i haven't played your mod yet but how are you going to balance the Lv up sistem, i know that do tho playing doom rpg you can get really OP if you know what you are doing.

Edit:i just saw that one of the mays you are doing is limiting spells to Lvs. but are you considering other metods?
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Spoiler: Epic 2 Playthrough
My good friend WhamNinjaMoleHill [also known as Tyketto on the forums] is doing a playthrough of this with the Epic 2 mapset, specfically, the compatiblity pack of it].

Sorry for the lack of general updates to the topic. I've been settling in a new laptop computer [with a GTX 1070], but I also had been forced to use Windows 10 due to various reasons. A lot of the last month and a half has been more trying to adjust things on the new computer best to my perferences. Hopefully some more progress on the mod will be made soon.

In some other news, most of Illucia's weapon sprites [the ones with visible hands], have been updated. Thanks much to Sgt. Shivers for this. Some weapons have yet to be given their proper updated sprites [the fist and one other weapon].
Last edited by Lord Misfit on Mon May 29, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 21 times in total.
DoomUser

Post by DoomUser »

Spoiler: Instructions...
Well, it keeps running Doom2, instead of Aetherius... I done the bat files from before, the steps you described and the small text "drag and drop the folder on the gzDoom.exe".
I don't know how EXP someone should have with computers too start this mod. I'm a web developer, and pretty much ok with computers. So I ether missed a very valuable part for the whole process or this is harder than it sounds.

1. download 3 master branches from Github into a zip folders.
2 unrar them into a gzdoom folder (downloaded from the recommended in a link after the links for the folders)
3 make a bat file using a text file and paste there the following: gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master" +hud_scale 0 exit
4 have a Doom2.wad in the folder.
run it.

it here is something wrong it could only be the doom2.wad presence in the gz folder, because i read 3 pages of forum posts to get to that conclusion.

Spoiler'd the quote for ease of read - HR
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

The instructions on getting everything running were a bit confusing, but you provided an example for the .bat file so it was smooth sailing from there. I started out having no clue what to do, but thanks to Whamninjamolehill's overview video, I quickly got the hang of it. Actually, he's the reason I even found out about this mod. Been watching his videos for about 5 years now, and he's introduced me to a lot of great Doom mods.

This feels like a very advanced Wrath of Cronos, as far as the RPG elements are concerned. You start out VERY weak with this mod, but your melee packs a punch. Once you get your first invisibility spell, things begin to get easier, and then they just snowball out of control until you are death incarnate. Hint, always use night vision. It's cheap, showcases normal enemies, and makes invisible enemies way less hidden. A lot of monsters can still see you while you are invisible, but the majority don't usually spot you. About 10 maps through, my frames started plummeting. Due to power-ups carrying over to the next map, I hardly ever had a moment where I ran out of mana. That meant that ALL the mana enemies dropped were left floating in the air. Might I suggest lowering the amount of mana cubes spawned by dead enemies, and just increasing the amount they give instead?

A rather funny moment came from MAP05's Mastermind. I sprinted across the walkway to the blue key and carefully took out the imps in the alcove above it. Then I high tension'd to 200 and activated the increased melee damage, charged up the swing, and dropped right on the bastard. It said Overkill in big blue letters and made me laugh hysterically. Actually, I think that level is the one that began getting out of control. I got 2 wand drops on that level, and the secrets with the 2 Megaspheres really boosted the amount of mana I had.

Anyway, I just got Epic 2 running and I have a quick question about it. Do you require the Epic2.wad file in your GZDoom folder and .bat file, in order to fully play the wad with Aetherius? Because I haven't added it yet and I've gotten all the way to map 3, but now I am consistently locking up right before you encounter the first enemy in that stairway. If you can tell me how to create a crash log and where to officially report it I would be more than happy to provide you with it so patches or fixes can be made for the compatibility folders.

Such an amazing mod so far. I think I might record some of this gameplay myself!
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

DoomUser wrote:
Spoiler: Instructions...
Well, it keeps running Doom2, instead of Aetherius... I done the bat files from before, the steps you described and the small text "drag and drop the folder on the gzDoom.exe".
I don't know how EXP someone should have with computers too start this mod. I'm a web developer, and pretty much ok with computers. So I ether missed a very valuable part for the whole process or this is harder than it sounds.

1. download 3 master branches from Github into a zip folders.
2 unrar them into a gzdoom folder (downloaded from the recommended in a link after the links for the folders)
3 make a bat file using a text file and paste there the following: gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master" +hud_scale 0 exit
4 have a Doom2.wad in the folder.
run it.

it here is something wrong it could only be the doom2.wad presence in the gz folder, because i read 3 pages of forum posts to get to that conclusion.

Spoiler'd the quote for ease of read - HR
Well the way I got it working is the following: I opened the README.md file located in the DV-DS ComboPack-master folder, scrolled down to the part where it gave an example .bat file, and simply copy pasted in notepad. One of the folder names is different in the example I copied, but a quick change to match the actual name of the folder got everything running smoothly. http://imgur.com/a/AW8Ue

DV-DS-ComboPack simply needed to be renamed to "DV-DS-ComboPack-master" in order to get it running.
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Doomguy914 wrote: This feels like a very advanced Wrath of Cronos, as far as the RPG elements are concerned. You start out VERY weak with this mod, but your melee packs a punch. Once you get your first invisibility spell, things begin to get easier, and then they just snowball out of control until you are death incarnate. Hint, always use night vision. It's cheap, showcases normal enemies, and makes invisible enemies way less hidden. A lot of monsters can still see you while you are invisible, but the majority don't usually spot you. About 10 maps through, my frames started plummeting. Due to power-ups carrying over to the next map, I hardly ever had a moment where I ran out of mana. That meant that ALL the mana enemies dropped were left floating in the air. Might I suggest lowering the amount of mana cubes spawned by dead enemies, and just increasing the amount they give instead?

A rather funny moment came from MAP05's Mastermind. I sprinted across the walkway to the blue key and carefully took out the imps in the alcove above it. Then I high tension'd to 200 and activated the increased melee damage, charged up the swing, and dropped right on the bastard. It said Overkill in big blue letters and made me laugh hysterically. Actually, I think that level is the one that began getting out of control. I got 2 wand drops on that level, and the secrets with the 2 Megaspheres really boosted the amount of mana I had.

Anyway, I just got Epic 2 running and I have a quick question about it. Do you require the Epic2.wad file in your GZDoom folder and .bat file, in order to fully play the wad with Aetherius? Because I haven't added it yet and I've gotten all the way to map 3, but now I am consistently locking up right before you encounter the first enemy in that stairway. If you can tell me how to create a crash log and where to officially report it I would be more than happy to provide you with it so patches or fixes can be made for the compatibility folders.

Such an amazing mod so far. I think I might record some of this gameplay myself!
Epic2.wad (nor epic2gl.wad) is not required for the compatibility patch. The patch is all self contained (and includes the skyboxes from epic2gl.wad as well). And I've never encounter a crash on map 3 [or any map really]. Then again, I'm still using an pre2.4 version, so that might have something to do with it?

Also the reason the Mastermind is easier to kill is because of how the Sceptre attack actually works. The intended idea is that you have about a 120-135 degree arc of effect for the swing, but due to limitations [there's no proper A_ArcAttack kind of thing in Decorate/ZScript yet], you basically swing out seven melee hits over that range [1 in the middle, and 3 on each side], each hitting for 275-325 base damage. This mean wider enemies soak up multiple hits, and the Mastermind... she's the widest monster by far, so she'll almost be guaranteed to take all seven hits, for about ~2200 damage or so.

As for mana, the large amount of pickups is more noticable as Flora because ammo that would be the usual Doom fare turns into mana when using her [it spawns a lot less often playing as the marines], but then again, she has far less ammo types to take advantage of, besides arrows and Hellcore weapons, so MP/Mana is her main ammo source there. :V

Also Night Vision making "stealth" enemies more visible is INTENTIONAL too, btw. Also, invisibility is useful since it jacks up evasion by up to 33%, which means even a direct hit to you will sometimes do 0 damage. Additionally, it also slightly reduces the damage you take even when hit, and also slightly increases the damage you do to enemies [since they can't always predict where you are in theory you can hit they a bit better than usual]. Also you occasionally will only take a glancing hit that means much less damage than usual. I really wanted invisibility to have an actual use in this mod since people hate it otherwise. >.>

Granted there are a lot of ways to possibly cheap things out (especially as Flora, but note the marines don't have it nearly as easily in the long run as she does), but I also see it as "I'd rather have the potential to be a bit too overpowered in certain situations (like certain early-game slaughter[y]maps in other wads) than too underpowered. Also balance is a fickle thing with me too. :V
Doomguy914 wrote:DV-DS-ComboPack simply needed to be renamed to "DV-DS-ComboPack-master" in order to get it running.
Yeah, in my personal situation, I use TortoiseGit, etc to download my versions of various mods hosted there [and to upload new versions on github, etc], so I tend to forget "-master" gets appended onto folders downloaded directly off the site. That's my own mistake. x.x
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

I'm using the GZDoom version that came zipped in the DV-DS-ComboPack-master folder. Also the reason I brought up the mana lag, is because I hope to play this with something like Dark Tartaurus eventually. What exactly stops it playing nicely with other wads like Epic2? Is it just custom textures that are the problem? Something like RLA doesn't require patches for each specific Megawad you decide to play. Is there a chance in the future, this mod will be packed in the future to run similarly?
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

You may want to put all those videos behind a spoiler. It makes for some awful long loading times for this page.
TheBeardedJedi

Post by TheBeardedJedi »

I think Flora is approaching DBZ-level power:

kadu522
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

TheBeardedJedi wrote:I think Flora is approaching DBZ-level power:

I think is more One-punch man level of power! :D
Tyrantk

Post by Tyrantk »

Flora is my new waifu

Playing through the games right now, having a blast after I sorted out how to organize everything.
Scautura

Post by Scautura »

Right now, I'm having major issues getting this to run. I thought I'd managed once, but I botched turning it into a PK3 so it just loaded plain Doom2 :oops: Basically, no matter which version of GZDoom I run, I get an error:

2.4 that comes with Aetherius:

Code: Select all

Script error, ":zscript.zc" line 1: Unexpected identifier
Expecting end of file or 'include' or 'extend' or 'class' or 'struct' or 'const' or 'enum'
Which I'm assuming is due to the 'version "3.1" ' line at the top of zscript.zc

3.1 "latest" (as of yesterday, I think?):

Code: Select all

Script error, ":decorate/items.dec" line 3326: Parent type 'AetheriusBaseCustomInventoryZSC' not found in MonsterMunchies
Script error, ":decorate/items.dec" line 3334: "INVENTORY.INVBAR" is an unknown flag

Script error, ":decorate/items.dec" line 3335: "INVENTORY.HUBPOWER" is an unknown flag

Script error, ":decorate/items.dec" line 3336: "INVENTORY.PERSISTENTPOWER" is an unknown flag

Script error, ":decorate/items.dec" line 3337: "INVENTORY.KEEPDEPLETED" is an unknown flag
Note that I get these errors no matter how I try to run Aetherius (packed as a PK3, as a folder with -file, using WadSmooshed "CompleteDoom" WAD, just doom2.wad, anything) so I'm stumped. This is using the latest master (commit b61ddbfe790b34f7eb84169e45b41a42c693d538 11 hours ago, as of this post)

Any help? I'd sacrifice my first born, but I think that's kind of an empty sacrifice right now!

Edit: I just downloaded the current build (4 hours old at time of download) and everything works as expected. Go figure.
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Yeah, I've been uploading new builds often. I can't really put a proper manual changelog and keep track in my head of every little change that's been happening. I wish there was a command that would allow you to post a summary of a github repository's recent changes. :V

But there's newer versions than the one you just got. I recently added a new Railgun Zombie and a Railgun weapon for the marines to the mod. I don't know exactly why you had that earlier issue though, Scautura. o.o

Though I recently started ZScript for the mod by adding a set of custom Action Functions for the "Spreader Aura" buff that allow you to plug in basically the same parameters for functions like A_Saw, A_CustomPunch, A_FireProjectile, A_RailAttack, A_FireBullets, etc on player weapons, and that's what was related to the errors you logged. :P

Return to “Gameplay Mods”