Aetherius (GZD 4.7.1) (Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife) [hiatus]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lord Misfit
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Aetherius (GZD 4.7.1) (Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife) [hiatus]

Post by Lord Misfit »

DISCLAIMER: Compatible with GZDoom, but not ZDoom (due to full-color images and GZDoom rendering effects) or Zandronum. Multiplayer will probably never be a thing for this mod. Sorry. D:

Links [Best not to make you scroll forever to find them]: SUMMARY:
Ohai there everyone. :V

You might know just a little about me. I'm that goofball who's responsible for what some have called a pretty "crazy" project that plays for Duke Nukem 3D via EDuke32. You might know about "Naferia's Reign: Invasion of the Dark Mistress", this crazy-ass RPG-FPS hybrid modification that adds features like a multiple-character [up to 15] party, enhanced enemy/player interactivity with the environments, a series of RPG-like statistics and inventory systems and whatnot, among other things. Some of you who follow Naferia's Reign might have wondered for some time, why there's been such a tiny amount of progress made on it in the last few years?

Well, see starting in late 2010 events concerning the dying of my old laptop's AC adapter basically lead me to a different and less powerful rig for a bit, where I would mess around a bit with a ZDoom mod known as "DoomSpellV2". Unfortunately the download for DoomSpellV2 came with no text documents or credits to a person, and the original download file has long since dropped off the face of the internet. [so I don't know who I can properly credit for its' existance] D:

The mod had a basic idea though: you kill monsters, get experience points and level up, and you would gain magic spells, 1-2 per level [though you only gained MP and spells, you didn't gain extra HP or other stats], and your magic "rank" changed. Etc. At the time, it was the closest mod I had to have RPG elements [before Thetis's "Wrath of Cronos" and especially Kyle873's "DoomRPG" came into the picture among others]. In a way, most of my ACS training and experience I have to thank to DoomSpellV2. :P

When my old laptop's AC adapter got replaced, I went back to the laptop and started to remove the hard-link "DoomSpellV2" had with Doom2's maps, and decide to try it out with a harder wad, and Huy "Doom Marine" Pham's "Deus Vult" ended up being the one I drifted to most. As I modded the DoomSpellV2 aspects, I added in more "traditional" RPG things like HP max going up on a level, as well as adding various attributes [Strength/etc], and I began to make a sort of RPG-ified version of the original Deus Vult [the seperated 4 maps, not the combined MAP05 since my old laptop wasn't that strong :V]. Thus the mod's first real "name": "Deus Vult: DoomspellV2 Edition" was made. >.>;

Keep in mind it's been about 6 years now since those initial events. The mod is no longer linked solely to Deus Vult the mapset [or it's sequel mapset as it also had been for a short time], although in it's present state, slightly modified versions of DV1 and DV2's maps come with then as "extra" episode for the Doom version, but the maps' architectures are basically unchanged [more of monster and item placement changes]. More so, two new character classes were added, a more magically oriented marine than the first class, and later when the DV2 stuff was started, a third more "pure-mage" like class, who would essentially become the "face" and main character-class of the mod itself.

So yeah, welcome to "Aetherius", formerly known during it's more beta phases of development as "Deus Vult: DoomSpellV2 Edition" [DV-DS for short].

FEATURES:
Spoiler:

COMPATIBILITY PACKS:
Spoiler:

WEAPONS:
Spoiler:

CREDITS:
Spoiler:

DEMO VIDEO:
Spoiler:

OTHER NOTES:
-- Skill 5 does not turn on fast monsters or respawning monsters by default. The mod options menu has fast access to both options though if you do want to turn either back on. Skill 5 does still make the game harder than Skill 4 in other ways though.

BAT FILE COMMAND LINES:
Assuming you have the proper subdirectories ["DV-DS-ComboPack-master", "DV-DS-CompatPacks-master" and "DV-DS-iDTech1-master" being folders within your main GZDoom folder], make bat files with the following in them [for the main game modes].

The "-master" in the directory names is assuming you're downloading the repos in zip from off the github site, not using a direct client like TortoiseGit to download them. If you are directly using a Git client, you should assume the "-master" suffix in the directories will be absent and alter the command lines accordingly.

Code: Select all

gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master"
- Doom 2

gzdoom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master"
- Doom 1

gzdoom.exe -iwad heretic.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master" "DV-DS-iDTech1-master/Heretic"
- Heretic

gzdoom.exe -iwad hexen.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master" "DV-DS-iDTech1-master/Hexen"
- Hexen

gzdoom.exe -iwad hexdd.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master" "DV-DS-iDTech1-master/Hexen" "DV-DS-iDTech1-master\HexDD"
- Hexen [DeathKings]

gzdoom.exe -iwad strife1.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master" "DV-DS-iDTech1-master/Strife"
- Strife

One other important note is if you're playing in a >4:3 ratio mode, the new HUD will look squished on startup. Go to "Aetherius Options > HUD Options > (NEW) X-Offset (>4:3 Modes)" and set it to "240" or a similar number. The value is how many pixels to the left/right the left and right ends of the HUD will be moved. This is because the new HUD is currently ACS powered (besides the inventory bar), and to be frank, ACS's "SetHudSize" function doesn't support non 4:3 modes, so I had to "cheat" to make it look right w/ larger aspect ratios by adding an extra var to alter things on the left and right sides. Sorry. x.x

WARNING: Have AUTOSAVES enabled for this project to avoid minor breakage on completely fresh death-reloads.

CHANGELOG (Since 6/16/19):

- Stealth-type magic spells replaced by "Attack/Defense/Speed Booster" spells, and "Minor/Major Invulnerability" spells removed for "Minor Fear Aura" and "Minor Raging Spirits", and Invulnerability spell is now a single late-level spell that gives 15 seconds for ~250MP per cast. (6/16/19)
- Removed "Freezing Glyph", added "Minor Time Freezer". (6/16/19)
- Damaging/Killing enemies can make sounds Q3A/QC style. This is an "Misc" option. (6/16/19)
- Damaging/Killing enemies can 'delay' the countdown speed of the EXP Combo meter, giving you more time to get more kills for a better combo. (6/16/19)

- Option for Dynamic Inventory Limits for more challenge. This limits the amount of each type of inventory item based on factors like Level, Strength, Perks, # of backpacks held), etc. Set off by default though. (6/8/18)
- Monsters and other NON-Players can now deal critical hits, both to the player and each other. The same logic [2x damage, defense ignoring, partial armor-ignoring] applies. Some monsters [i.e. Lost Souls, etc] have higher natural crit rates, but other factors affect it as well. Beware. :V (5/19/18)
- Old HUD has finally been removed. Rip Old HUD, you served your role well, but times have to move on. ;_;7 I have been considering a secondary "size" for the now-only HUD leftover, one that's smaller-ish than the current, problem is meter notches don't show properly when in smaller modes. (week of 5/13/18)
- Critical Hits retooled. Deals ~2x damage now instead of ~3x but now ignores the defenses of the monster hit with them [more ZScript related tweaks]. (Oct 1, 2017)
- "Missed!" now shows on the [new] HUD when you successfully evade an attack [this was the intended case with the evasion mechanic, but I had to use ZScript+ACS in junction to finally make the notice appear recently.] (Sept 28-29, 2017)
- "The Ultimate Torment & Torture" compatibility pack added, based on "The Ultimate Torment & Torture: Supportive Edition" [@ viewtopic.php?f=42&t=57854 ] (Sep 13, 2017)
- Massive update to AI in CompatPacks and Idgames1 repositories. This means monsters in Heretic/Hexen/Strife/other mapsets can use Crisis attacks, etc. (Aug 28, 2017)
- Mod is now prepackaged with GZDoom 2.3.2 [it was 2.3.0 before] :V (Jan 29, 2017)
- New "Tracer Speed [Multiplier]" option to alter the velocity of bullet-tracers. Also tracers' have their default speed doubled [160 from 80]
- Minor tweak to sceptre main attack that should stop possible view jumps when hitting particularly wider enemies. [Hopefully, thanks to SeriousCacodemon for finding this] :V
- Added "Quickspell" display options for both HUDs. (Suggestion by AdmiralAjax)

I'll probably have to update this post in the future with a changelog, and other pieces of relevant information.

Also though I expect the odd critique of my ideas or choice of characters or weapons [NR's gotten various critique of various nature in my past], I'd still appreciate constructive criticism [instead of things like "lol y u suck man" :V] Not that I expect too many people [outside of my beta testers] to give much care about this mod anyways. Gotta freely admit there are many other fast-paced like gameplay mods like Demonsteele or GMOTA people can be playing to instead of this "crappy" mod. Not that I won't admit it'd feel good to know this mod gets interest from some people. :P
Last edited by Lord Misfit on Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 55 times in total.
AdmiralAjax

Re: Aetherius [GZDoom for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife]

Post by AdmiralAjax »

Been playing this a bit and it's been pretty interesting so far.

By the way, what option gets rid of the quickspells on the right side of the screen? I don't use those so they take up some space on the screen.
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

AdmiralAjax wrote:Been playing this a bit and it's been pretty interesting so far.

By the way, what option gets rid of the quickspells on the right side of the screen? I don't use those so they take up some space on the screen.
If the quickspells are on the right side of the screen, you must be using the old-style hud. The new style HUD [the one that probably should be used], will have the Quickspells in icon form in a bar on the bottom left instead. Check "Aetherius Options > HUD Options" and toggle to what you want. You can't currently get rid of the quickspell bar in new-style HUD or the list of the right in the old-style. I'd recommended binding quickspells personally, since you'll never know when you'll need them. Perhaps I'll consider an option to make Quickspell displays optional though. :o

EDIT: I added options in the HUD Options menu for displaying Quickspell stuff recently, along with fixing a view-adjustment issue with the Sceptre's main attack hit.
PlayerLin
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Okay...I'm admit I just forgot your NR:IotDM since you didn't reporting your progress anymore on duke4.net...:oops:
Maybe I sure find some time to try it again...

I love the mod supports all games on the same engine so I can try a lot of different maps/themes with the mod, nice try! :P

Since I already played NR years ago so I already get used to the mess of HUD shit but I like the DQH-like one(even I didn't played DQH), oh and the level up music, lovin' it. xD
(And the custom death music, seriosly? lol)

Normally I won't play a mage-based character as I prefer melee/gun ones but Flora just made an exception for me, powerful, can easy take down those low-tier monsters but also can get her killed easily...(I tend to rush into enemies so the result always so bad, poor Flora. :p) But her spells also powerful so I guess it's fine...I just needed stop try to rushing and save a lot. :3:

I see you put a lot of effort on your mod, even may not everyone would like it but I think you do nice job. :wink:

EDIT: Just ask, do you have plan to bring more character into this mod? Even I guess you already have balance problems with the 3 characters now, I'm fine with these 3 ones so just ask. :P
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Long time no see PlayerLin, I do remember you from NR. Maybe I'll try to do more work on it in the future, but as you've seen, this has been the focus of my modding time lately. :V

Also thanks for your thoughts on this. And yeah, she was made to be a bit subversive of the usual "mage" trope, having a strong close range weapon that encourages taking risks in close range, and also allowing you to shield yourself with it from the front with the alt-fire [except from Railgun attacks] :V

Granted, don't forget to try out the other two classes in Doom mode and see how they play too when you got time. :o

EDIT: Missed your edit, so to answer: I want to have Corvus, and the other player characters from the other game modes available for their proper modes, but that might be a long time away. Also, no multi-character party shinanigans like NR. GZDoom might have some way these days to do it, but that's not the intent of the mod this time. :P
PlayerLin

Post by PlayerLin »

Lord Misfit wrote: Also thanks for your thoughts on this. And yeah, she was made to be a bit subversive of the usual "mage" trope, having a strong close range weapon that encourages taking risks in close range, and also allowing you to shield yourself with it from the front with the alt-fire [except from Railgun attacks] :V
Yeah, the alt-fire shield does nice job when deal with powerful enemies but I always forgot it needed MP, doh!
Lord Misfit wrote: Granted, don't forget to try out the other two classes in Doom mode and see how they play too when you got time. :o
I know, I will try them after I tired with Flora, but I guess it's not that fast yet. lol

Lord Misfit wrote: EDIT: Missed your edit, so to answer: I want to have Corvus, and the other player characters from the other game modes available for their proper modes, but that might be a long time away. Also, no multi-character party shinanigans like NR. GZDoom might have some way these days to do it, but that's not the intent of the mod this time. :P
Sounds good, and I'm sure we don't needed other NR mod again, that one is enough. :P

--

I think the HUD(DQH or the old one both) could shows some level statistics like kills/items/secrets, also I think the current spell icon and those stat values on the right side of it can move to the right side of screen since I think it's a little crowded with rest of char. stats...
And I'm not sure if that's GZDooM's limitation or something, the item list window isn't visible on HUD(DQH or old one both), at least on DooM/DooM2/Final DooM, I have to go automap or alt HUD to see that, which is a little annoying. (Not sure with Heretic/Hexen/Strife, not play with those IWADs yet)
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

PlayerLin wrote: I think the HUD(DQH or the old one both) could shows some level statistics like kills/items/secrets, also I think the current spell icon and those stat values on the right side of it can move to the right side of screen since I think it's a little crowded with rest of char. stats...
And I'm not sure if that's GZDooM's limitation or something, the item list window isn't visible on HUD(DQH or old one both), at least on DooM/DooM2/Final DooM, I have to go automap or alt HUD to see that, which is a little annoying. (Not sure with Heretic/Hexen/Strife, not play with those IWADs yet)
If you're talking about the inventory item bar, yeah... the thing to understand is the new HUD is pretty much all ACS-coded, except for the inventory bar, which is still governed by SBARINFO. ACS doesn't have options to track what inventory item you have selected or display an inventory bar of it's own [as far as I'm currently aware, if there is a way to do this via ACS, someone please let me know], so you have to rely on the SBARINFO version. I think if you toggle the hud size [usually "-/_" and "=/+" keys], you can make the bar show, but depending on your screensize, the bar might be small or large. Again, out of my control, due to the inventory bar being linked with SBARINFO and not ACS like I'd want it to.

As for tallies. I considered it, but I'm not sure if I really want to show those unless they're made optional [also GZDoom's "automap options" can allow you to see item counts in the automap view as well]. And the reason the bottom left has all the real-estate is because it's similar to the DQH style of hud as you mentioned in your first post. Moving that stuff over to the right side would feel off at this point. >.>
PlayerLin

Post by PlayerLin »

Since I only play 800x600 on DooM in most of time, so the Alt-HUD would be fine for that inventory window, I understand the DQH style HUD does like the one in the DQH game so I think it's OK. :)

I wonder if you ever considering to do a SBARINFO version of new HUD for this mod, but I can think it would be a lot of works...so maybe I can just stick on the ACS ones. :\
(Suggest about "tallies" just due the new HUD covered GZDooM's build-in AltHUD so I can't see them, doh! :p)
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Unfortunately, SBARINFO doesn't have a lot of the options to allow me to make a proper and faithful recreation of the ACS status bar, so that's probably not going to happen. :\
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

I wanted to try but I got lost and I made a error in the long list of commands for shortcuts [my fail] but by the videos it is perceived that it is a great job. :thumb:
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

My only complaint is that the HUD (I'm using the DQ-Style HUD) seems a little intrusive. I feel like some of the elements could be spread out a bit more.
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Wivicer wrote:My only complaint is that the HUD (I'm using the DQ-Style HUD) seems a little intrusive. I feel like some of the elements could be spread out a bit more.
While I'm not sure this will happen any time soon, it does help to know some specifics about what might need to move around [besides the fact the item/inventory bar is SBARINFO-controlled as opposed to the DQH-hud's ACS control] so I have a better idea of what to consider moving around. I won't outright say no if I can get some good suggestions, but I also don't want to start moving stuff to the top of the screen either because of normal game messages and all being up there. :o
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

Right. My first suggestion would be to move the indicator for selected spell to above the character portrait on the left side of the screen. While it's not technically in the way where it is, it feels like it's intruding on the center where I'm aiming. If that makes any sense.

Edit: I'm dumb
PlayerLin

Post by PlayerLin »

Lord Misfit wrote:Unfortunately, SBARINFO doesn't have a lot of the options to allow me to make a proper and faithful recreation of the ACS status bar, so that's probably not going to happen. :\
Not a problem any more, since after I posted that suggest and then I saw this thread by Graf Zahl...well, maybe the new "ZSCRIPTBAR" will be better option for you. :p
Lord Misfit wrote:While I'm not sure this will happen any time soon, it does help to know some specifics about what might need to move around [besides the fact the item/inventory bar is SBARINFO-controlled as opposed to the DQH-hud's ACS control] so I have a better idea of what to consider moving around. I won't outright say no if I can get some good suggestions, but I also don't want to start moving stuff to the top of the screen either because of normal game messages and all being up there. :o
While I agree your reasons, I still feel like if I can have more "customize options" about the new HUD...but it's up to you to do or not. :wink:

I noticed the there are 5 of portrait PNGs for Flora in graphic data, but I checked those related codes but only found 2 of them actually using, I'm not sure I missed something and I didn't get how the game choose them...? :3:
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Well, wivicer and I talked more about his particular issue, and I found it that he hadn't yet tried out the "(NEW) X-Offset (>4:3 Modes)" in the Mod's HUD options. In effect, it bumps both sides of the HUD [#]px to the left or right [the left side of the HUD goes more left, the right side goes more right, assuming positive values are used]. I use "240" myself. The HUD, being it currently uses ACS, uses "SetHudSize(1440,1080,0);" but since SetHudSize cannot use non 4:3 aspect ratios right, the basic intent is that the HUD is meant to be for 1080p [though it'll still scale down properly on lesser resolutions like my wacky-ass 1424x801 I use.], and if you want it to be at the full ends of the screen assuming 1920x1080, that option I mentioned should be ~240, :V

Also yeah, there's a few extra portraits of her in there. Ideally, I'd like to have a more mugshot-equse portrait in the future where the characters react like in the classic mugshot to getting hit, grabbing items, etc, or special reactions to specific buffs and/or debuffs, but art isn't cheap, and I'm saving $ for a new rig soon, so I can't commission from my usual guy that does some of those arts of her at the moment. :P

Return to “Gameplay Mods”