Aetherius (GZD 4.7.1) (Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife) [hiatus]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
GamingMarine
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Aetherius [(GZDoom 3.3.2+) for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife

Post by GamingMarine »

MisterPhantom wrote:I have no idea on how to play this mod, I keep getting the lightsizefactor error when try to load it up on Doom
What about with Heretic or Hexen? Have you tried those yet?
MisterPhantom

Post by MisterPhantom »

I don't have those, i don't even know where to download them
Lord Misfit
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Lord Misfit »

MisterPhantom wrote:I have no idea on how to play this mod, I keep getting the lightsizefactor error when try to load it up on Doom
lightsizefactor is going to come up no matter what game mode you play, because simply put, you're using a version of GZDoom that's too old to support that command. Simplest recommendation is to update to 3.4 of GZDoom, as it supports that command by now.
LOLANONIMUS

Re: Aetherius [(GZDoom 3.6+) for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife]

Post by LOLANONIMUS »

Hi, the download thread is broken where can I download the mod?
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

LOLANONIMUS wrote:Hi, the download thread is broken where can I download the mod?
Which specfic download "thread"/"link" is broken? All of the githubs and GZDoom downloads on the first post appeared to work for me. o.o
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

Well this has been radio silent for a while (Well for both sides though) I have played this mod and I really would like to see more.
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Part of it's been me focusing on other gaming and AFK/RL stuff over modding in general in the past few months, but another part of it is I don't tend to focus too often on updating the forum topic for every minor-moderate change I make since the changes are done via GitHub. Makes me wish that feature people had floated around for a git feed you can put on a topic was a thing, though that won't automatically update the topic they're put in. >.>
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

So... You have done changes to this mod? Because I think in about half a year silence would suggest that you have done something and you have said about your actions in GitHub. I stopped completely paying attention to this mod due to the silence on both ends. No real discussion of mod's mechanics or something else.
MadTrance

Re: Aetherius [(GZDoom 4.2.4a+) for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strif

Post by MadTrance »

Hey I'm a huge fan of this mod, it's been in my regular rotation for a while now. I really like the looks of the new updates and the changes to some of the spells, but I'm having a pretty serious issues with the latest build.

While playing using either GZDoom 4.2.4a or 4.3, and no other mods or even mapsets (just doom2.wad and "DV-DS-ComboPack-master"), and using the first command line detailed in your original post, every time I load a save (either manually or automatically after dying) there's an extremely high likelihood that GZDoom will crash, freeze, or begin to behave strangely (sprite's idle animations appear to play at double speed, none of my controls work, and I can't properly look around. Moving my mouse will result in strained jittery movement, and sometimes it will slowly yaw on it's own). I recorded a few videos using different versions of GZDoom
Spoiler:
I hope there's a simple solution to this, I can't wait to play again! Despite these troubles I very much thank you for this mod. I've had many many hours of fun with it when I first downloaded it!
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

MadTrance wrote:Hey I'm a huge fan of this mod, it's been in my regular rotation for a while now. I really like the looks of the new updates and the changes to some of the spells, but I'm having a pretty serious issues with the latest build.

While playing using either GZDoom 4.2.4a or 4.3, and no other mods or even mapsets (just doom2.wad and "DV-DS-ComboPack-master"), and using the first command line detailed in your original post, every time I load a save (either manually or automatically after dying) there's an extremely high likelihood that GZDoom will crash, freeze, or begin to behave strangely (sprite's idle animations appear to play at double speed, none of my controls work, and I can't properly look around. Moving my mouse will result in strained jittery movement, and sometimes it will slowly yaw on it's own). I recorded a few videos using different versions of GZDoom
Spoiler:
I hope there's a simple solution to this, I can't wait to play again! Despite these troubles I very much thank you for this mod. I've had many many hours of fun with it when I first downloaded it!
So far, the only true solution I've found is to remake your personal GZDoom ini file [it has your current login name for your PC in the filename]. I can only wonder if the INI and the save file are messing with each other after the INI gets to a certain size or age.

I've experienced this issue in the mod a few weeks ago myself [except when I loaded my games, I couldn't move at all, and I'd occasionally get a crash, you can't edit options for either the mod or GZDoom in the options, and one message I even saw was something related to "nodes"], but I saw the increased game speed (it felt more like 3-5x speed), and someone else reported it once too, but after deleting the gzdoom ini file and recreating it on my end, the issue appeared to mostly stop, though occasionally it would still act up once in a while when loading a game, but only once every 40-50 times I'd load a save on average.

In other words, I have no clue to the exact cause of the issue yet [though I'd love to know so I can get rid of the issue obviously], though I have found one possible workaround, if you want to redo your GZDoom set up again. It might be worth it to do this and make a copy of your ini file when you got your settings back to where they were, but before playing any mods extensively. The more mods and such you play, the more of those mods' cvars and whatnot end up recorded in the files. I wonder if people with long lived ini files full of cvars from mods all over are more suspectible to the issue to those who play few mods with their current ini.

As it is on my end at least: I haven't had a consistant sighting of the issue for a few weeks since deleting and remaking my GZDoom ini file [the file is called gzdoom-[pcloginname].ini], and due to the lack of general information on this issue I have yet to report it to the GZDoom bugs section, since with no true lead to go on, the devs probably won't have any information to go on yet.

P.S. One other oddity I had with dealing with this issue is that at least on my end, if I loaded Aetherius in HERETIC mode with the IdTech1 game compatibility pack, I'd not see the savegame issue on E1M1, but sometimes it'd start happening on E1M2 instead. The issue also appeared for Hexen and Strife mode almost immediately as it did in Doom mode. Again, this is a weird-ass issue that I've yet to locate a possible cause for. :\
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

I had completely forgotten that I had this mod on my USB storage stick and decided to play it more and try it on different map packs. So far I have tested this on these following map packs with mixed bag results:

Scythe2: Works fine at the start but when staff reaches level 12 or 16... Game started lagging like crazy when you had the weapon equipped currently. Not sure why. Also the... Whatever monster didn't spawn in the later levels when it should have in the levels Mr.X and... Maybe map 29 or 28.
JPCP: Works just fine at the start but then starts to become incredibly laggy towards the end when your staff has gained high level count.
Ancient Aliens: Doesn't really work... No idea why... I am able to load it just fine but playing it is completely different case. The screen goes through the death animation (without the character dying) making the map pack unplayable.
Vanguard: Works just fine and I actually would recommend playing this mod with this. Can get a bit crazy laggy at the higher enemy count maps if you are casting miasma cloud middle of enemies but somewhat expected.
Maps of Chaos OK: Works without any issues.

I still have to try boot this mod with return to saturn X map packs to see if there are any issues with those. So far I have been failing because I am loading them in wrong order or something which I will get to when I feel like.
What comes on legacy of heroes that one I still need to run too. So far Vanguard and Maps of Chaos OK are my favorites. Although Maps of chaos OK (OK stands for OverKill) can be a huge pain at the start because of the massive amounts of hitscans but as you level up through out the maps it is a blast.

Few last things to note is that whenever I play the mod it gives me sauravatar couldn't be loaded or something error (Doesn't stop me from playing but I can still see this every time). I am sorry about saying about the Deftness being way too good but it still kinda is. Although I did decide to test not leveling up deftness slightly or not at all until I reach certain level and go with mostly Sorcery and Therapheusis was it? And I can say that they feel fine. Although I did notice that when summoning enemies... Their damage doesn't go up at all no matter how high your sorcery is. This is probably to make friendly fire less of an issue but I would like to hear your word about it. Health of the summons do go up though so nothing wrong with that.

Sorry for being a headache.
Lord Misfit

Re: Aetherius [(GZD >4.3.1 SVNs) for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Stri

Post by Lord Misfit »

Updated the main topic with a notice about recent versions requiring a certain SVN post 4.3.1 release to load properly, due to the mods use of the "nosave" option in CVARINFO. More is explained in the post itself. >.>
jankespro12
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Aetherius [(GZDoom 4.3.2+) for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife

Post by jankespro12 »

Can you make Health system Blade of Agony-Ish?
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

jankespro12 wrote:Can you make Health system Blade of Agony-Ish?
Going to be honest: I don't often play too many other major mods/mapsets like BoA. I haven't played it yet because I tend to perfer playing things when they're closer to completion overall [it's also why I have yet to play AMC-TC for EDuke32 despite finding it cool from watching friends stream it]. Also I hear there's a lot of issues off and on with BoA concerning performance, even on powerful rigs [since GZDoom can only use one CPU core for processing, GPU doesn't tend to usually matter nearly as much vs CPU in that category].

You're gonna have to be specific in words how the health system works. All I saw from quickly looking things up on R667's site is that you have medikits and food for health pickups, but I'm guessing what you're asking about is more based on something like regeneration speed or some kind of "locational-based damage system"? If not, please specify. Granted, I'm probably not going to add it right away, if at all, but knowing specifics would help in my decision. :V
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Just checked this mod recently, and it seems rather nice.
Though despite me not really poking around with the marines because well, Flora is the mascot of this and stuff and I want to give some feedback when I played as her in Doom 2 with pretty much default settings (and the one where the over 100% HP does not degenerate):

- Good challenge early game and a bit going forward, but then it can become quite easy with the abundance of those little health pick ups and mana being heavily abundant from everything.
- The over-health degenerator is a bit too fast when it comes to getting any health and maybe should not appear as damage points ether.
- The Unmaker is basically a way to save more mana than using the sapphire wands (and again, the pickups basically means you can probably clear a slaughter map with it alone).
- Getting Aeon points are best of the balance, though sometimes I think the monster count gets stuck and I do not end up getting a bonus, and the item count as well? Not too sure when using IDDT when things are in clumps and it becomes a hay in the needle stack.
- Might not end up using most of any of the items I get being that the pick ups and also that I really do not need to temporarily up my stats (Or only a few rock bombs). All that I been using are the Monster Snacks which are basically the engine to taming things until I got the monster summoning spells which has somewhat taken my fun at half with it.
- Darius bow is kind of OP as all get out as soon as you get good ammo / capacity.
- The quick assign HUD can have the letters be way too big and just fit next to each other looking like garbled text a bit.
- And even more about mana is the fact I feel like I can use any spell on an infinite whim and just not feel like I have the means to use it when it is purely situational as much unless I am probably cornered though.

It is all I kind of want to say for now since as of writing I am on the 'O' Of Destruction! map and I rather not take all day while I am playing this. Though I would like to give more feedback if you want some good balance for this mod.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”