[BETA7] Q - Quake stuff for Doom, Heretic and Hexen

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dark-Assassin

Re: [BETA3] Q (Quake weapons and items)

Post by Dark-Assassin »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Doom and Heretic's world maps in their respective intermission screen have been replaced by a black backdrop.
Restored
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:EDIT#1: It seems Armour items still count as Items, which makes it impossible to get 100% if already at full armour.
EDIT#2: Resizing the keys in Heretic has made them occasionally harder to get - if not downright impossible without cheating in some cases (e.g. the yellow key in Heretic's E2M3).
Fixed
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:EDIT#3: Should the Shotgun/Double Shotgun and the Nailgun/Super Nailgun not share the same keybind?
Nope. I'm going by Quake's rules of weapon slots.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
EpisodeScreen.jpg
Quake's font is much wider than the default fonts. Until I figure out how to edit .font2 files, I cannot fix this.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
Read This!.jpg
DoomEpisode.jpg
Bleh, forgot to check the font in Doom 1. I'll see about messing with menudef to have Doom use fonts instead of graphics.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Now, I am playing Doom II and I seem to struggle a lot more than in Heretic. Whereas in the latter I was swimming in shotgun shells, in the former, so far there never seems to be enough of them or nails lying around across the levels and I have even found myself forced to rely on the Axe to defend myself on a couple occasions. Maybe it will solve itself once I get my hand on more weapons, but it is rather absurd that Zombiemen would be dropping ammo for Quake's equivalent of the BFG!

Maybe you should make it so Zombiemen shoot nails and Chaingunners laser, and drop the respective ammo. I guess it would be more fitting, given how Quake's Enforcer is an upgraded Grunt - just like the Chaingunner is an upgraded Zombieman.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Now, I am playing Doom II and I seem to struggle a lot more than in Heretic. Whereas in the latter I was swimming in shotgun shells, in the former, so far there never seems to be enough of them or nails lying around across the levels and I have even found myself forced to rely on the Axe to defend myself on a couple occasions.
I only managed to test it properly in Doom 1 E1. If need be, I can increase the ammo counts in Doom games.
Heretic and Hexen have the right amounts of ammo. Though, Heretic can seem a little much, goldwand ammo everywhere!
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:it is rather absurd that Zombiemen would be dropping ammo for Quake's equivalent of the BFG!
Maybe you should make it so Zombiemen shoot nails and Chaingunners laser, and drop the respective ammo. I guess it would be more fitting, given how Quake's Enforcer is an upgraded Grunt - just like the Chaingunner is an upgraded Zombieman.
I've thought about this... The Zombiemen used to use the Nailgun full auto and the Chaingunner used the Super Nailgun back in pre-release days, but I found them ended up being OP. The Chaingunner was on the level of the Spider Mastermind in terms of power D:
I switched the Shotgunguy and Zombieman back to their original spawns to try and give more shells in Plutonia, but it may seem they need to be switched again.
Dark-Assassin

Re: [BETA4] Q (Quake weapons and items)

Post by Dark-Assassin »

New Update
Beta 4 Changes
  • Switched the Zombieman and Shotgunguy back around again
  • Added the missing item icons
  • Replaced key icons with respective type icons
  • Made key icons horizontal and placed them in the upper right of the fullscreen HUD
  • Reduced the width of all powerup icons by half
  • Increased the amount of powerup slots in the fullscreen HUD
  • Made runes no longer holdable, they will auto activate
  • Added the Scanner effect to the Rune of Reveal, lasts 60 seconds
  • Added custom sounds to the runes. I found them in one of the expansion's files.
  • Removed Belt and Horn's effects, they are now useless for now. Not that you could get them anyway
  • Added an info message on load
  • Tweaked a few lights, fixed some that were missing
  • Particles now only shrink away, they don't fade. This is mainly a test to see how cool it looks.
  • Added a custom weapon based off the Enforcer's Laser Rifle. Only acquirable in Doom and the Doom Player starts with it. Uses cells.
  • Reduced length of Laser's trail
  • Reduced the amount of particles the Thunderbolt's hit effects release
  • Fixed particles making pushable objects fly away
  • Explosive boxes can slide against walls now
  • Increased the ammo give amount from picked up weapons
  • Changed cell ammo to give 6, 12 and 3
  • Made first 2 maps swap the backpack for the Nailgun. This really helped Plutonia a lot.
  • Fixed flickering of large Shell and Nailbox glows.
  • Fixed UV maps of rune models being screwed. Seems exporting to obj and converting to md2 was messing it up. lwo works fine though.
  • Fixed large scale of the Shield of Empathy
  • Recreated the menu. This includes episode and skill selections. Also adds a properly animated selector icon.
  • Made Doom episodes and skills use fonts rather than graphics
  • Made the smallfont default to white instead of brown
  • Changed the console font on the HUD to smallfont, as well as from brown to yellow
  • If you look at sbarinfo, I swear you'll want to never look at it again. And it's not even finished, still gotta stack the Hexen and Strife keys.
  • Made explosions no longer deal fire damage
  • Added Skulltag support (Zandronum only, load with Doom patch)
Download Beta 4

Patches Not needed if you're running ZDoom 2.8.1 or higher.
Doom Patch
Heretic Patch
Hexen Patch
Strife Patch
Skulltag Patch
Last edited by Dark-Assassin on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

So you decided not to go with my suggestion of switching ammo type between the Zombieman and the Chaingunner? I could be wrong, but making the former drops nails instead of cells would make more sense from a balance perspective. I know you want to remain as faithful as possible to the original game, but Zombiemen are just not meant to drop ammunition for the most powerful weapon of the game. I also think it is rather absurd to have the Nailgun spawn in place of the Double Shotgun, given their radically different purpose. You simply cannot do that in levels that were designed with Doom's default arsenal in mind and expect it to work.
Dark-Assassin wrote:[*]Added a custom weapon based off the Enforcer's Laser Rifle. Only acquirable in Doom and the Doom Player starts with it. Uses cells.
I am confused by this one. Does it mean I should be starting with a Laser Rifle rather than the Shotgun?

Because if that is the case, then it is not working, as I still start Doom and Doom II with the default Shotgun. Assigning the Laser Rifle to weapon slot 9 is definitely not intuitive.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:So you decided not to go with my suggestion of switching ammo type between the Zombieman and the Chaingunner? I could be wrong, but making the former drops nails instead of cells would make more sense from a balance perspective.
As I've said before, this makes the zombieman OP. I've done quite a lot of testing before even beta 1 was ready for release.
And I've got no intention of giving them a one shot nailgun as it doesn't seem right.
In The scourge of Armagon, there is a much stronger creature like thing that uses a nailgun.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I also think it is rather absurd to have the Nailgun spawn in place of the Double Shotgun, given their radically different purpose. You simply cannot do that in levels that were designed with Doom's default arsenal in mind and expect it to work.
I've also played around with this quite a bit.
I've switched ammo and weapon types from Shells and Nails as that's pretty much how Quake is. Back when I had the shotgun and SSG spawn Quake's SSG and the Shells drop actual Quake shells, I found that you'd run out of ammo quite quickly in early levels and you'd be picking up nails that all you can do is stockpile until you found the Nailgun which replaced the Chaingun, which of course is in later levels.
If I make it spawn a weapon that uses a different ammo type, then the ammo balance would be thrown off. It's already a bit thrown off as the Plasma Rifle is replaced by the Super Nailgun and the BFG is replaced with the Rocket Launcher, but the cells just replace cells.
Also, my doom design is based around Doom 1 where there is no SSG.
The only thing I'd consider doing is making the SSG drop the Super Nailgun, however that means the Plasma Rifle also drops it.
The Super Nailgun is supposed to be really powerful and not meant to be acquired in early levels like the SSG in Doom is.
Doom is not a good match for Quake replacements. This mod's main focus is Heretic and Hexen with support for Doom and Strife.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I am confused by this one. Does it mean I should be starting with a Laser Rifle rather than the Shotgun?
Because if that is the case, then it is not working, as I still start Doom and Doom II with the default Shotgun.
No, you start with it as well. It's my method of making the cells more useful than stockpiling them up until you find the Thunderbolt.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Assigning the Laser Rifle to weapon slot 9 is definitely not intuitive.
The scourge of Armagon's original laser cannon was assigned to slot 9

Edit:
Hotfix Released
Fixes
  • Fixed invisible backpack
  • Fixed broken rune models
  • Fixed some custom maps with no levelinfo always being detected as first few maps.
Download Hotfix for Beta 4
Last edited by Dark-Assassin on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Dark-Assassin wrote:Doom is not a good match for Quake replacements. This mod's main focus is Heretic and Hexen with support for Doom and Strife.
Fair enough.
Dark-Assassin wrote:
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Assigning the Laser Rifle to weapon slot 9 is definitely not intuitive.
The scourge of [Armagon]'s original laser cannon was assigned to slot 9
Yes, but the Laser Cannon is a very different and much more powerful weapon than this mod's Laser Rifle. Since the latter is more or less the equivalent of Doom's Pistol and Heretic's Elven Wand, it would make more sense to have it assigned to slot 1 or 2.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Yes, but the Laser Cannon is a very different and much more powerful weapon than this mod's Laser Rifle. Since the latter is more or less the equivalent of Doom's Pistol and Heretic's Elven Wand, it would make more sense to have it assigned to slot 1 or 2.
Another reason that I forgot to mention is because otherwise on the statusbar, it'll be in one slot and use ammo from pretty much the other side. Even though it's past the Thunderbolt, it's still close to the cell count.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I see the font size is still too big for the episode titles and difficulty names in Heretic.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Unless you know how to edit .fon2 files, I cannot fix that unless I make all the menus use SMALLFONT.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Since the main focus of the mod is on Heretic, do you still want us to report issues in Doom?
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Yea, still don't want any bugs.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I noticed both in Heretic's E1M1, Doom's E1M2 and Doom II's MAP03 that it is impossible to get 100% items. I suspect this has to do with you replacing the backpack with the Nailgun.

Also, the player mugshot no longer becomes invisible when you acquire the Ring of Shadows in Doom.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Oh, and have you heard of Dimension of the Boomed? I have yet to test your mod with this mapset, but it seems like it could be a good companion piece!

Or at the very least, an inspiration.
Dark-Assassin

Re: [BETA5] Q (Quake weapons and items)

Post by Dark-Assassin »

New Update
Beta 5 Changes
  • Played with the particles a whole bunch. Reduced spawn rates of most of the generators. Added smoke style particles which grow and fade out rather than shrink away.
  • Added gl_particles_style and vid_renderer checks for Particles to display either square, round or smooth
  • Added stretched particles, only the Axe uses these
  • Tweaked a whole bunch of lights. Mostly size reduction and changed their types to flicker.
  • Removed rotations from the Thunderbolt's lightning and increased the density.
  • Grenades spin one tic slower
  • Attempted to rebind weapons because of Hexen, however it just spits errors. Forgot to remove the keyconf file D:
  • Halved resolution of hires particle images
  • Made Laser Rifle's muzzle flash not interpolate back inside the gun
  • Can't remember anything else, but hopefully that's it.
Download Beta 5

Patches Not needed if you're running ZDoom 2.8.1 or higher.
Doom Patch
Heretic Patch
Hexen Patch
Strife Patch
Skulltag Patch

Return to “Gameplay Mods”