[BETA7] Q - Quake stuff for Doom, Heretic and Hexen

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dark-Assassin

[BETA7] Q - Quake stuff for Doom, Heretic and Hexen

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Q is a faithful but balanced recreation of the Quake 1 weapons and items for ZDoom 2.6+ and Zandronum 3.0+
It is currently compatible with Doom, Heretic and Hexen.

There are no Quake monsters for this mod. You're supposed to be Ranger playing through the worlds of Doom, Heretic and Hexen. Only some Doom monsters have been modified to use Quake weapons/projectiles instead.
Heretic and Hexen were the main focus. Doom may have a bit of inconsistencies with items.

Download Beta 7

Patches: For Zandronum and ZDoom older than 2.8.1
Doom Patch
Heretic Patch
Hexen Patch
Skulltag Patch

Screenshots

Please report any bugs or suggestions here.
Spoiler: Details and Credits
Spoiler: Changelog
Spoiler: Known Bugs
Last edited by Dark-Assassin on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:44 am, edited 30 times in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [BETA] Q

Post by Rachael »

I moved this to the correct forum.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Gave it a go in Plutonia. I find it kind of odd how you start with a shotgun, but there only ever seems to be nail and rocket ammo lying around. Hexen doesn't seem to have any ammo for the shotgun in the first level either.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Hmm. The shotgun shells replace clips and ammoboxes since the shotgun is replaced by the Nailgun. They also replace Mana1 so they should be findable in Hexen. But the first few maps may lack them.
If there's not enough, I can switch them to the larger boxes and see how that goes. If the ammo amount needs to be increased, I can do that too.
I could also give replcing the flasks with shell ammo a go but I'm not entirely sure of how common they are outside the first 2 maps of Hexen.

Any ideas on balance would be nice. I've done my best with mainly Doom 1 and 2 and a few maps of Heretic.
Stuka

Post by Stuka »

Why you do not add the "Quake-style strafe tilting" from nash to give it the effect
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Looks cool! I do not like how Samsara handled the Ranger, so I am looking forward giving this mod a shot.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

New Update
Changes
  • Switched the Zombieman and Shotgunguy again, hopefully to try and add some more Shotgun Shells to Plutonia without replacing other items.
  • Backpack of various ammo give more ammo
  • Class 1 Hexen weapons now drops the Nailgun
  • Class 2 Hexen weapons now drops the Grenade Launcher
  • Weapon Fragment 1 now drops the Super Shotgun
  • Weapon Fragment 2 now drops the Super Nailgun
  • Weapon Fragment 3 now drops the Rocket Launcher
  • ArtiPoisonBag now drops Shotgun Shells
  • Mana1 now drops Nails
  • Mana2 now drops Rockets
  • Mana3 now drops Backpack of various ammo
  • PlatinumHelm now drops Green Armor
  • AmuletOfWarding now drops Yellow Armor
  • ArtiBoostArmor now drops Red Armor
  • Fixed Heretic Mace ammo not dropping Cells
  • Added Inventory and Inventory Bar to the Statusbar, it sits on the bottom left above the bar.
  • Made it so the player doesn't play the burn sounds when getting struck by fire damage (Hexen uses a lot of fire damage)
  • Changed the Zombieman, Shotgunguy, Chaingunguy and WolfensteinSS health to 25, 50, 75, 50 respectively
Download Beta 2
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Do you plan to add Quake music and replace the menu screen at some point?
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Perhaps.
Though with the music, as far as I know, there are 10 tracks total, much less than any doom and doom based game.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Quake's expansion packs do feature original soundtracks composed by Jeehun Hwang. Also, Sonic Mayhem did release his own soundtrack replacement, Methods of Destruction.

Another suggestion: would it be possible to have a third custom HUD based on Zdoom's default fullscreen HUD, so we can see the weapon models in their entirety?
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

I don't have any of the disks, so I do not have any of the soundtracks.

I'll see about an absolute minimal HUD. However, GZDoom's alternate HUD should work fine though.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

The expansion soundtracks are included in the Ultimate Quake fan patch I gave you a link to. As for Methods of Destruction, it is available to download for free at the second link.

Anyway, I noticed items such as health kits and ammo crates now count as Items in the intermission screen.

One issue I have with the current minimal HUD is that it does not display the keys you have.

I do not think you should be replacing Doom's barrels and Heretic's explosive ball thingies (I do not know what they are called), as they look out of place and, in Heretic's case, can actually block your path now that they are no longer pushable.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

I've got the music set up, however due to my extremely slow upload speed, I won't be able to include them in the main archive.

Fixed

Fixed

Hmm, may remove them. For now, I've made them pushable.

The absolute minimal HUD is still WIP right now.
I won't be releasing a new version just yet. More suggestions would be nice before then.
Things like monsters and textures may or may not come later in their own packages and may only replace Doom ones.
Weapons like the Laser Rifle and Lightning Hammer may or may not be included too. Haven't decided on that as I've run out of weapons to replace.
Dark-Assassin

Re: [BETA2] Q (Quake weapons and items)

Post by Dark-Assassin »

New Update
Beta 3 Changes
  • Added separate IWAD patches for clients based off ZDoom 2.7.1 and older.
  • For ZDoom 2.8+ it just uses filtered folders
  • Added brightmaps to Models, but it's a hacky method.
  • Changed A_CPOSRefire and A_SpidRefire to A_SentinelRefire
  • Added Strife support, but gameplay has not been tested, only the actors individually
  • Added Hexen keys to the HUD
  • Added Quake Expansion items. Some however are unobtainable and they have no powerup icons just yet. (oops) I cannot replicate functionality of the Shield of Empathy though. Horn freezes time rather than summons a minion for now.
  • Fixed ACS Stringtable breakage
  • Added a bit of randomness to damages
  • First 2 maps now replace the Lightning Gun with Mega Health instead of just the first (Mainly prevents pickup on Doom E2M2)
  • Readjusted projectile speeds. They're either 40 or 20.
  • Removed direct damage from explosive projectiles. They however can still hurt bosses due to +FORCERADIUSDMG
  • Made the Homing Rocket use A_SeekerMissile from A_Tracer2. In game, this will only affect the Revenants. If I ever add alt fires, the RL will use it.
  • Tweaked how many particles explosions spawn as well as their speed, gravity and made them bounce rather than stick. Explosive boxes are largely reduced in count because of Doom 2 MAP23.
  • Shortened nail trails a little
  • Made the Raven Pickup Flash use the a modified teleport effect
  • Renamed a bunch of sprites
  • Changed sprites and models of rune items and they are no longer holdable.
  • Added Flight and Speed Rune
  • Increased HUD resolution to 640x400
  • Added a minimal HUD but it replaces the "no hud"
  • Doom and Heretic keys will adjust their positions on the HUD, but Hexen and Strife ones won't. So many damn IfInventory/Else statements in SBARINFO.
  • Increased resolution of player sprites
  • Made player sprites and models translatable. Their base color is Pink as it's the only color between the games that aren't elsewhere on the model and the only color that uses a single range. Translation + Player.ColorRange ignores Translation.
  • Translated the pink dead and scripted doom players to green from that pink
  • Fire damage once again makes the player play the slime/lava hurt sound
  • Added fire damagetype to explosions
  • Added GLDEFS to all modified monsters
  • Added dim red lights to the Health Boxes
  • Increased the range of some small lights to 24 from 16. These affect items mainly.
  • Increased brightness of Laser light
  • Added a fully armed player clone to replace the Hexen player bosses. May not be as deadly, but has more health.
  • Fixed Mana2 dropping backpacks instead of rocket ammo
  • Switched weapon piece 1 and 3's drops. WHY IS THE FIRST PICE OBTAINED PIECE 3?
  • All basic hexen armor now drops the Green Armor, Falcon Shield drops Yellow Armor
  • Made ArtiPork drop Quad Damage
  • Made ArtiDarkServant and ArtiEgg drop the Thunderbolt
  • Made ArtiBlastRadius drop Cell Ammo
  • Restored Hexen boss health
  • Added Skulltag support (Damn you Zandronumers using ST content still)
  • Added the Quake font from UTNT. This affects all WADs. Doom may be limited due to it using graphics rather than BIGFONT.
  • Added a few extra UI grphics from Quake
  • Changed Quake logo screen to the Hypnotic one
  • Blanked BIGFONT level name graphics as they looked out of place with the quake fonts.
  • Fixed vertical offset for SSG flash
  • Normalized quit mesages
  • Quit sound is now just the teleport sound
  • Changed doom intermission sounds
  • Made smaller HUDs still draw powerup icons, but they're in the top right and sort themselves the same way the keys do.
  • Increased inventory selector to 8 items
  • Removed backpack drops from non human actors
  • Translated the HUD numbers to DarkBrown and added DarkRed for lower numbers.
Download Beta 3

Patches Not needed if you're running ZDoom 2.8.1 or higher.
Doom Patch
Heretic Patch
Hexen Patch
Strife Patch
Thanks to an extensive playthrough on Hexen with a few people, I've been able to balance it more, find bugs and was given a few good suggestions.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: [BETA3] Q (Quake weapons and items)

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Great! I am currently trying this new version with Heretic. So far, I am enjoying myself and I have nothing to complain about, except maybe for the fact that Doom and Heretic's world maps in their respective intermission screen have been replaced by a black backdrop.

EDIT#1: It seems Armour items still count as Items, which makes it impossible to get 100% if already at full armour.

EDIT#2: Resizing the keys in Heretic has made them occasionally harder to get - if not downright impossible without cheating in some cases (e.g. the yellow key in Heretic's E2M3).

EDIT#3: Should the Shotgun/Double Shotgun and the Nailgun/Super Nailgun not share the same keybind?

Also this:
EpisodeScreen.jpg
Read This!.jpg
DoomEpisode.jpg

Return to “Gameplay Mods”