Lithium 1.7.0 Beta (Apr. 17, 2022)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Lithium [1.0 Release]

Post by Marrub »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
silentw wrote:EDIT: The downgrades are great, I just wish I could actually get any upgrades within the first 2 or 3 maps of a WAD...
I'll be adding upgrades for the pistol and more stuff you can get early-game soon, so it won't be as terrorrifying.
Deii wrote:This i just...really fun to play. I have no words for how much fun I had from simply getting from map 01 to 08 in Doom 2 with it.

The only thing I can think of that would make this further awesome is a super shotgun replacement. I got no issues with the shotgun becoming a perfectly accurate automatic railgun thing, but I think I'm no the only one who wants to see either a sawn-off or crazy full auto shotgun.
Thanks! And, I plan to add a SSG replacement some time. I had one in a much earlier revision, but I had to remove it because it was far too powerful.
Here's a video of the weapons in that version, featuring the super shotgun and the most ridiculous rocket launcher ever created.
AndruEX wrote:Havent had fun with a Doom mod like this for a while, it has been a blast using this mod to replay some old WADs;
Pretty Impressive that this is just a RC meaning it will just keep growing, a job well done, and a damn fun one to play with.
Thank you! I'll be adding a lot more to the mod in the near future.
Deii

Post by Deii »

While I do like the idea of stacking multiple shots in a double barreled shotgun, my not-so-inner gun nerd is screaming at me for liking that SSG replacement...so why not go with a metalstorm-style shotgun? In case you never heard of it:
Spoiler:
That way you probably have to do less sprite work and do some crazy stuff with the SSG replacement: it starts off as a single barreled semi auto shotgun that uses cells as batteries, and upgrading it gives...I dunno, four barrels that all fire in full auto and eats cells really fast.

It's just a suggestion of course. I'd love to see what you can come up with. Definitely still enjoying the mod so far. :D
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

I was playing through Knee Deep in the Dead, and something strange happened. Don't know if it was intentional or not. I got to E1M9, and after a little bit, my hud kind of shut down. All I could see was health and armor. Is that supposed to happen?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Wivicer wrote:I was playing through Knee Deep in the Dead, and something strange happened. Don't know if it was intentional or not. I got to E1M9, and after a little bit, my hud kind of shut down. All I could see was health and armor. Is that supposed to happen?
I've had this happen once before in Doom 2, I haven't been able to reproduce it with more details yet...(Shit, I promised Marrub I'd look into it yesterday and never did. =P)
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Wivicer wrote:I was playing through Knee Deep in the Dead, and something strange happened. Don't know if it was intentional or not. I got to E1M9, and after a little bit, my hud kind of shut down. All I could see was health and armor. Is that supposed to happen?
wildweasel wrote:I've had this happen once before in Doom 2, I haven't been able to reproduce it with more details yet...(Shit, I promised Marrub I'd look into it yesterday and never did. =P)
This is possibly fixed already in 1.1. There's a large chance that when the player enters a level it'll cause a script overrun due to how complex some of my stuff is, and I changed a lot of functions to call as individual scripts now.
Deii wrote:While I do like the idea of stacking multiple shots in a double barreled shotgun, my not-so-inner gun nerd is screaming at me for liking that SSG replacement...so why not go with a metalstorm-style shotgun? In case you never heard of it: <video>

That way you probably have to do less sprite work and do some crazy stuff with the SSG replacement: it starts off as a single barreled semi auto shotgun that uses cells as batteries, and upgrading it gives...I dunno, four barrels that all fire in full auto and eats cells really fast.

It's just a suggestion of course. I'd love to see what you can come up with. Definitely still enjoying the mod so far. :D
Making it use cells is certainly an interesting idea, and upgrading the amount of shells it emits is also quite neat. I'll fiddledeboop with it when I get to it.
Nash

Post by Nash »

So what exactly / how badly does this not work with the latest GZDoom official? I'm really interested in giving this a try but I don't want to go back to the old EXEs.
Deii

Post by Deii »

@Marrub

Glad if I could help! Also, just how on Earth do I get Torgue mode? I spent some more time playing and I have no idea on how to get it just yet.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

no score points if monster gibbed lol(gzdoom 2.2.0 there is nothing about that riiiiiiight?)
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Deii wrote:Also, just how on Earth do I get Torgue mode? I spent some more time playing and I have no idea on how to get it just yet.
It costs 800,000,000 score at Yholl's request, which is more than any other upgrade costs. I don't think it's actually obtainable even if you buy nothing for the entire game.
I'll lower it to 80,000,000, hehe.
Gorec wrote:no score points if monster gibbed lol(gzdoom 2.2.0 there is nothing about that riiiiiiight?)
Fixed in 1.1 already.
Nash wrote:So what exactly / how badly does this not work with the latest GZDoom official? I'm really interested in giving this a try but I don't want to go back to the old EXEs.
Apparently, some of my static data just.. disappears (for instance the exit button's preset string just omits itself from the string table), and the hitscan enemies (which use [wiki]A_WolfAttack[/wiki]) don't work right.
I'll report the latter as a bug (I assume this came from the FP switch?), but I really have no idea what would cause the former...

I'll be releasing 1.1 when the upgrades I've planned are in and I've finished making the rest of the enemies extravagantly explosive.
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

This mod is exciting and cool. except for shotgun, i don't like that clunky-ass thing
Glass soldier downgrade when?
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

I suppose my only real complaint with this is that the Pistol, shotgun, and rifle don't use ammo. But the grenade launcher, laser rifle, and cannon do.

Also, once you get the guass shotgun upgrade, you can basically just M1 eternally. Getting that upgrade also basically nullifies the rifle (except for the grenade launcher mode) as well as the pistol. That, and the fact that it has a FAR better scope than the rifle meant that I kinda just forgot to use the rifle, since I no longer need to worry about ammo, there's never any need to actually bother with the using it. The guass shotty is also pretty damn strong in addition to being quick, I can borderline stunlock most monsters.

It also gets weird that like half the weapons use ammo and half don't. I kinda just don't bother with the other half of the weapons, really. Why waste ammo when you've got ones that don't use ammo?

Also, the grenade, I mean, the rocketlauncherthatscalledagrenadelauncherbutstillfiresrockets gets a bit weird when you buy its upgrade, if you try to single fire, the shots go from the left, then right, then center, or it sometimes just tries to load grenades and THEN fires. Also no bouncing grenades. :x Seriously this is just a rocket launcher with the name grenade launcher attached to it. I was expecting something more akin to TrailBlazer's Patriarch.

The upgrade for the laser rifle acutally seems worse than the normal one, other than it being incredibly accurate. I mean we've already got the guass shotty with infinite ammo, why would I ever need to bother with this one?

The cannon seems fine, though I was kinda expecting something way flashier than just a large explosion sprite for the upgrade.

I mean, I really like this I just find the whole ammo thing really weird, especially since you've got a shop where you can buy ammo, but since I've got weapons that don't even USE ammo, I kinda forget it exists. :(
Nash

Post by Nash »

Marrub wrote:Apparently, some of my static data just.. disappears (for instance the exit button's preset string just omits itself from the string table), and the hitscan enemies (which use [wiki]A_WolfAttack[/wiki]) don't work right.
I'll report the latter as a bug (I assume this came from the FP switch?), but I really have no idea what would cause the former...
Would really appreciate it if you can put together a simple isolated demo, bugs like these should be reported because it will affect other people too. I hope you won't attempt to hack around it or just ignore it, we don't want Doom RPG to repeat history here...
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Nash wrote:Would really appreciate it if you can put together a simple isolated demo, bugs like these should be reported because it will affect other people too. I hope you won't attempt to hack around it or just ignore it, we don't want Doom RPG to repeat history here...
A_WolfAttack is just completely broken, so that's easy to report; but for the other issue there's nothing I can do to reproduce it if I can't even reproduce, consistently or not, the original issue.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Re ACS and strings, I know what you mean. I'm working on a project that uses those a lot too and it does get frustrating when something just stops working/works weirdly one day.

This is why I can't wait to ditch ACS for doing my non-ACS-ey things as soon as ZScript natively allows them (prime suspects for immediate conversion: menus, GUIs, non-map things like that)
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Cryomundus wrote:I suppose my only real complaint with this is that the Pistol, shotgun, and rifle don't use ammo. But the grenade launcher, laser rifle, and cannon do.

Also, once you get the guass shotgun upgrade, you can basically just M1 eternally. Getting that upgrade also basically nullifies the rifle (except for the grenade launcher mode) as well as the pistol. That, and the fact that it has a FAR better scope than the rifle meant that I kinda just forgot to use the rifle, since I no longer need to worry about ammo, there's never any need to actually bother with the using it. The guass shotty is also pretty damn strong in addition to being quick, I can borderline stunlock most monsters.

It also gets weird that like half the weapons use ammo and half don't. I kinda just don't bother with the other half of the weapons, really. Why waste ammo when you've got ones that don't use ammo?
I think I've addressed this in 1.1; the gauss shotgun and rifle now require reloading (every 10 and 80 bullets, respectively) but not actual ammunition.
This is a design decision that I probably won't change, low tier weapons have infinite ammo and power weapons take ammo.
Also, the grenade, I mean, the rocketlauncherthatscalledagrenadelauncherbutstillfiresrockets gets a bit weird when you buy its upgrade, if you try to single fire, the shots go from the left, then right, then center, or it sometimes just tries to load grenades and THEN fires. Also no bouncing grenades. :x Seriously this is just a rocket launcher with the name grenade launcher attached to it. I was expecting something more akin to TrailBlazer's Patriarch.
If you've never played Unreal it might be confusing, but you can hold down the fire button and it'll load more rockets. Hold right click to change the fire mode, the first of which is a spiralling shot, and the second a grenade dump.
I'll clarify that in the description.
The upgrade for the laser rifle acutally seems worse than the normal one, other than it being incredibly accurate. I mean we've already got the guass shotty with infinite ammo, why would I ever need to bother with this one?
It shreds enemies for way less ammo.
The cannon seems fine, though I was kinda expecting something way flashier than just a large explosion sprite for the upgrade.
The shots go through walls, which really depends on how well you know the map you're playing. They also penetrate enemies, so it's useful for large groups.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”