Lithium 1.7.0 Beta (Apr. 17, 2022)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Lithium 1.7.0 Beta (Apr. 17, 2022)

Post by Marrub »

>>>>> [[[[Overview]]]]

Download at itch.io or Direct Download (88.2MiB)
Credits
Git Repository (In-development versions are available here; see also how to run)

Lithium is a gameplay mod that features an upgrades system, currency, three new classes with full weapon sets, an inventory system, deadlier enemies, monster mod compatibility, and much more.

This mod is explicitly compatible with Doom, Chex Quest, Heretic, and monster mods.
You can add support for your own monsters using the LITHMONS format.
To check if a mod is compatible, see if enemies show as having a level (lv.) when you aim at them.

This mod was created because I felt that there was a severe lack of RPG-lite mods for ZDoom, such as Kyle873's DoomRPG – but more toned down on numbers.
Lithium has been under development for 7 years. Thanks to everyone for playing, testing and giving feedback, I hope you all enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed making it.
I am open to suggestions for balance, additions, world-ending monstrosities, etc. I want to make this mod as polished and fun as I can.

Public Discord server here in case you want that; also a hub for other projects of mine and several other developers.

>>>>> [[[[Frequently Asked Questions]]]]
  • How do I get past the intros?
    Hold the button. Any of them on the screen. The prompt is just not telling you to hold it. That's all. I already fixed it in the next beta. Thanks.
  • Does it work in LZDoom?
    No. I'd like to make it compatible in the future, but it might not be possible.
  • Does it work in Delta Touch?
    I can't test it because my phone can't run Delta Touch, but people have told me it works, so, try it for yourself.
  • Does multiplayer work?
    It did, but I broke it. Sorry.
>>>>> [[[[Known Issues]]]]
  • On some PCs, the HUD will malfunction, or other weird errors like crashes, GUI going too fast, etc. happen (fixed in next beta)
  • Hold prompts such as the intro text don't actually ask you to hold the button (fixed in next beta)
  • The console gets cut off in a weird way (fixed in next beta)
  • Dark Lord has nothing to buy yet (changed in next beta)
  • NashGoreCorpseBlood (and probably other actors) are erroneously counted as inventory items (fixed in next beta)
  • Small font can be overridden by other mods (fixed in next beta)
  • Some effects like the crosshair don't pass through things that they should (fixed in next beta)
>>>>> [[[[Description]]]]

The mod has three unique player classes: Marine, Cyber-Mage, and Dark Lord. They all have unique arsenals, upgrades, and mechanics.

As Marine, you play as a cybernetically enhanced soldier sent by a military on Earth to destroy demons which have invaded from another dimension.
You are given money ("Score", abbreviated scr) for completing your objective and as compensation.
Working in concert with a large tech company, you are supplied with upgrades for your weaponry and augmentations.

As Cyber-Mage, you play as the spell-casting pawn of a corporation/cult, seeking freedom in the confusion of the demon invasion.
You may acquire spells (sometimes referred to as "methods") and use Mana acquired from dead enemies to highly increase your combat effectiveness.

As Dark Lord, you play as an intruder from another dimension, hell-bent for closure.
For how slow you move and how heavy your weapons are, you find yourself having little trouble slaughtering demons fluidly by the hundreds.

Be careful, though; Hell is not a kind dimension, and has sent its best to destroy you and your efforts...

All of the player classes have a core set of features involving cybernetics and information:

You are augmented with a Computer/Brain Interface, or C/BI for short.
The C/BI allows you to purchase upgrades and weapons, view information on things you've found, review statistics, change game settings and more.

There are four categories of upgrade:

Body upgrades, which improve your movement, defense and information.

Weapon upgrades, which improve your offensive capabilities.

Extra upgrades, which are silly, expensive upgrades for fun.

Downgrades, which impair your ability to play at the "benefit" of gaining additional score.

Your Computer/Brain Interface can itself interface and be upgraded with various PCBs and external units, its CPU and RAM can also be upgraded.
Unfortunately, such items are far too expensive and dangerous to buy. Maybe there's another way to acquire them...

The Biotic Information Panel (or BIP) gives you access to descriptions on things of which you've found, and anything relating to them, as well as letting you access mail and statistics.

It seems like there's some things you just don't want to pawn off or use right away, so your Inventory allows you to carry around armors, accessories and more to use or sell whenever you please.

>>>>> [[[[Extra]]]]
Spoiler:
>>>>> [[[[All Versions]]]]
Spoiler:
Last edited by Marrub on Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:36 am, edited 81 times in total.
Yholl

Re: Lithium [1.0 rc1]

Post by Yholl »

I AM A YHOLE AND I AM HERE TO SAY THAT THIS MOD IS OF MUCH GOOD AND I WAS NOT BRIBED TO SAY THIS GOOD DAY
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Yholl wrote:I AM A YHOLE AND I AM HERE TO SAY THAT THIS MOD IS OF MUCH GOOD AND I WAS NOT BRIBED TO SAY THIS GOOD DAY
I am also here to confirm that this post is 100% accurate, Lithium rocks
Marrub

Re: Lithium [1.0 rc2]

Post by Marrub »

Hi I'm stupid and accidentally the pk7. Fixed.
mentha

Post by mentha »

Hi! I haven't played much, but theres a serious pet peeve of mine in this: you changed where my shots go so that the little crosshair dot i have on my hud is wrong. i don't know of a way to change or fix this, i don't understand what the purpose of doing such a thing is in the first place, and its very frustrating even when playing without my little dot because my reptilian brain has been trained to think "the dot was here, aim here" and end up shooting the ground between myself and the target, causing my tiny little mind to go into primal confusion. Much distress!

Other than that this is indeed a very good mod! I like how you start with some CYBER-TECH or whatever activated already, and playing without them on can be a kind of challenge run. I also like how extremely detrimental the detrimental mods are.
Spoiler:
TheAdmantArchvile

Post by TheAdmantArchvile »

Yholl wrote:I AM A YHOLE AND I AM HERE TO SAY THAT THIS MOD IS OF MUCH GOOD AND I WAS NOT BRIBED TO SAY THIS GOOD DAY
LIKEWISE. I FIND THIS MOD TO THE THE TOPPEST NOTCH OF MODS AND YOU SHOULD ALL PLAY IT.

Gimme my fucking paycheck, now.
Lime

Post by Lime »

This Mod has been a joyful experience for me to play. This is Fantastic....
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Oh hey I remember this, and the >implying mode I told you to add.

It's still the best
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

adun87 wrote:Hi! I haven't played much, but theres a serious pet peeve of mine in this: you changed where my shots go so that the little crosshair dot i have on my hud is wrong. i don't know of a way to change or fix this, i don't understand what the purpose of doing such a thing is in the first place, and its very frustrating even when playing without my little dot because my reptilian brain has been trained to think "the dot was here, aim here" and end up shooting the ground between myself and the target, causing my tiny little mind to go into primal confusion. Much distress!
He didn't change where the shots come from, he changed where your eyes are; in vanilla your eyes are actually located somewhere in your torso, IIRC. He put them in your head, which seems nice from a logical standpoint but for the reasons you just described it's more than a little jarring. You get used to it eventually but it can still be something of a problem when you're trying to shoot through windows and what feels like a clear shot instead hits the windowsill.
Marrub

Re: Lithium [1.0 rc3]

Post by Marrub »

Sorry about that. I miscalculated where the eyes go.
Release Candidate 3 released.

Changes:
| Credits updated
| Fixed view height not being reset on map exit
| Fixed HUD weapon numbers not corresponding to keys
| Fixed player view height being too high
+ Make the Punctuator Cannon's penetrating explosions have graphics
Marrub

Re: Lithium [1.0 Release]

Post by Marrub »

Without further adieu, Version 1.0 has been released, and I'll be working on adding more features for 2.0!

Changes:
| Improved the Omega Cannon's animation
| Buffed the Omega Cannon's cannonballs
| Changed plasma bolt's speed from 55 to 50
| Fixed the rifle's scope being off-center
| Fixed the sword being given with idkfa
| Fixed the Gauss Shotgun and Plasma Rifle's puff sounds not always playing
| Fixed the response time on weapons, they shouldn't feel as odd anymore
+ Torgue mode makes you explode when you gain score
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Further ado. This is a totally sick looking mod by the way and I'm gonna have a good look at it as soon as I finish definitely not being a lazy asshole today.
silentw

Post by silentw »

The mod is... interesting. Is the crosshair oddity intended to simulate the bullet traveling from the actual muzzle location to the point of aim?
Also, are Imps supposed to run around at sonic-shaming speeds? I can't tell whether a lot of the things I'm seeing are bugs or simply uncommon design choices :/

EDIT: The downgrades are great, I just wish I could actually get any upgrades within the first 2 or 3 maps of a WAD...

EDIT 2: Ahh, now I see. The first bit of a play session with only the pistol is pretty miserable, but it picks up DRAMATICALLY once you get the gauss shotgun or anything beyond the standard shotgun, and gets much, much better.
Last edited by silentw on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deii

Post by Deii »

This i just...really fun to play. I have no words for how much fun I had from simply getting from map 01 to 08 in Doom 2 with it.

The only thing I can think of that would make this further awesome is a super shotgun replacement. I got no issues with the shotgun becoming a perfectly accurate automatic railgun thing, but I think I'm no the only one who wants to see either a sawn-off or crazy full auto shotgun.

P.S.: I'll come back when I get Torgue mode, cuz that sounds like the SHIT.
AndruEX

Post by AndruEX »

Havent had fun with a Doom mod like this for a while, it has been a blast using this mod to replay some old WADs;
Pretty Impressive that this is just a RC meaning it will just keep growing, a job well done, and a damn fun one to play with.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”