Lithium 1.7.0 Beta (Apr. 17, 2022)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Patriot1776

Re: Lithium [1.5.3 Update][Nov. 22]

Post by Patriot1776 »

Works now, thanks. However, now leveling up isn't working. Playing through doomcoop2-bd.wad a good ways, I've reached level 15 and gotten most of the upgrades. Very unique way of getting the CBI upgrades, and VERY HAZARDOUS too. XD But yeah, for some reason now the leveling system isn't working.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Patriot1776 wrote:Works now, thanks. However, now leveling up isn't working. Playing through doomcoop2-bd.wad a good ways, I've reached level 15 and gotten most of the upgrades. Very unique way of getting the CBI upgrades, and VERY HAZARDOUS too. XD But yeah, for some reason now the leveling system isn't working.
What about it isn't working?
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Marrub wrote:
Patriot1776 wrote:Works now, thanks. However, now leveling up isn't working. Playing through doomcoop2-bd.wad a good ways, I've reached level 15 and gotten most of the upgrades. Very unique way of getting the CBI upgrades, and VERY HAZARDOUS too. XD But yeah, for some reason now the leveling system isn't working.
What about it isn't working?
Never mind, it looks like the mod don't like the 'TILT++.pk3' add-on. Took it out of my load order, and now the leveling system is working like it should. Basically you and all the monsters were stuck at level 1, nobody leveled up any as the game progressed.

Meanwhile, started playing around with the Cyber-Mage, and so far, I think I'm liking him better so far than the Marine. I am though more confused by the lack of narratives in his emails, and the email message when his first 'spell upgrade' monster appears has me confused. Is the Cyber-Mage himself being targeted by A.O.F. or are those his orders to execute the 'turned one' that's appeared on the map?
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Patriot1776 wrote:Meanwhile, started playing around with the Cyber-Mage, and so far, I think I'm liking him better so far than the Marine.
Thanks, I put a lot of effort into it. For 1.6 I'll be cleaning up Marine a bit and making him closer to on par with Cyber-Mage.
Patriot3552 wrote:I am though more confused by the lack of narratives in his emails
Internal monologue not enough for you? :P
Patriot7104 wrote:and the email message when his first 'spell upgrade' monster appears has me confused. Is the Cyber-Mage himself being targeted by A.O.F. or are those his orders to execute the 'turned one' that's appeared on the map?
Should be fairly obvious with the other mail as context, but yes, he is being targeted.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Just re-read the initial write up on the Cyber-Mage and now I get the context of the opening email for him and then the second one. Dang, he's utterly on his own completely, at least so far with how far in I've played with him.

But yeah, I like the internal monologue a lot so far with both characters. All the monologues though are presently primarily meant to go with vanilla doom2's or the doom2 Co-Op rehashes right? May load up and play a few levels of both Evilution and Plutonia to see if the monologues are different for them. Have you thought about making email/monologue packs for the mod for use with other level-packs? With this rich background you've setup, I'm now wondering what some of this monologue would look like for Back to Saturn X.

EDIT - Meanwhile, I've so far made it to MAP15 Industrial Zone with the Marine, though I'll be starting over now that I figured out what in my load order was farking up the leveling system. But anyway, up to that point, I had purchased a good number of the upgrades and found the CBI Upgrades, though at present it seems the corrupted CBI couriers might just be a tad tough? Then again, it was only my first time facing them so I'm still sorta getting used to how they fight. But anyway, the most obvious problem the Marine has at present is that his Super Shotgun becomes all but useless once you've gotten a good number of the upgrades for the other weapons. I'm guessing you do have some upgrades for the Super Shotty planned for 1.6? They're sorely needed to keep it from becoming obsolete once the other guns are upgraded.

I like the Poison Shot for the shotgun a bunch, but the Gauss Rifle version of it seems a little under-powered. The Gauss Rifle, IMO, should be similar to what the Cyber-Mage's Shock Rifle is, though keep in mind, I've not managed to do much playing yet with the Cyber-Mage's Shock Rifle heavily upgraded, so take that with a grain of salt. Maybe Gauss Rifle isn't quite so dead-on accurate as the Shock Rifle is since its mag is double the size, but similar in punch.

The Beam Rifle upgrade to the found Plasma Rifle is awesome, it feels to me about right, I use it a lot, but primarily due to the Gauss Rifle as I said, lacking in power and the Laser Rifle being too, too inaccurate.

As I just said, Laser Rifle feels too inaccurate. At anything beyond vanilla shotgun range you gotta go to Modal Rifle mode and even then it still feels too inaccurate. The inaccuracy when its only the Modal Rifle alone, shooting 'bullets' instead of lasers, I can understand, but it feels like the Laser Rifle upgrade would also tighten the spread of it up some.

Omega Cannon is a little confusing so far. What are some pointers on making the best use of it?
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Patriot1776 wrote:But yeah, I like the internal monologue a lot so far with both characters. All the monologues though are presently primarily meant to go with vanilla doom2's or the doom2 Co-Op rehashes right? May load up and play a few levels of both Evilution and Plutonia to see if the monologues are different for them. Have you thought about making email/monologue packs for the mod for use with other level-packs? With this rich background you've setup, I'm now wondering what some of this monologue would look like for Back to Saturn X.
Thanks, and yeah, I have considered adding different mail for different iwads/map sets. Issue is I don't know how I would actually detect what map set you're playing, would a user option be fine or should I try to make it automated somehow?
Patriot888 wrote:EDIT - Meanwhile, I've so far made it to MAP15 Industrial Zone with the Marine, though I'll be starting over now that I figured out what in my load order was farking up the leveling system. But anyway, up to that point, I had purchased a good number of the upgrades and found the CBI Upgrades, though at present it seems the corrupted CBI couriers might just be a tad tough? Then again, it was only my first time facing them so I'm still sorta getting used to how they fight. But anyway, the most obvious problem the Marine has at present is that his Super Shotgun becomes all but useless once you've gotten a good number of the upgrades for the other weapons. I'm guessing you do have some upgrades for the Super Shotty planned for 1.6? They're sorely needed to keep it from becoming obsolete once the other guns are upgraded.
The Super Shotgun can't be upgraded due to the way it (lore-wise) works, a decision I made because it's already really powerful on its own. I could add something like an explosive shell upgrade, though. Ideas on that would be appreciated.
Patriot444 wrote:I like the Poison Shot for the shotgun a bunch, but the Gauss Rifle version of it seems a little under-powered. The Gauss Rifle, IMO, should be similar to what the Cyber-Mage's Shock Rifle is, though keep in mind, I've not managed to do much playing yet with the Cyber-Mage's Shock Rifle heavily upgraded, so take that with a grain of salt. Maybe Gauss Rifle isn't quite so dead-on accurate as the Shock Rifle is since its mag is double the size, but similar in punch.
Seems rather subjective, some people live by it and others don't use it much. I will say that it has near perfect accuracy and is one of the strongest non-power-weapons in the game, though.
Patriot222 wrote:As I just said, Laser Rifle feels too inaccurate. At anything beyond vanilla shotgun range you gotta go to Modal Rifle mode and even then it still feels too inaccurate. The inaccuracy when its only the Modal Rifle alone, shooting 'bullets' instead of lasers, I can understand, but it feels like the Laser Rifle upgrade would also tighten the spread of it up some.
It'll be more useful in the next update, I upped the fire rate of the combat rifle, so even though it is inaccurate you'll hit stuff more.
Patriot111 wrote:Omega Cannon is a little confusing so far. What are some pointers on making the best use of it?
Small shots for tight areas, big shots for hordes of enemies. While it does a ton of piercing damage, when it explodes it causes an absolute tonne of damage, probably a few times stronger than the BFG, so aim it through a crowd if you're hitting popcorn enemies and aim it to bounce into the enemy for bigger ones.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

I like the idea of an explosive shell upgrade for the Super Shotgun, that wouldn't require the CBI weapon modules. Meanwhile, a second upgrade for it, that WOULD require BOTH CBI weapon modules, yes I'm including the weapon refactoring module, would be an upgrade to switch the Super Shotgun from being side-by-side to being Over-Under as seen here:

http://wildernessmastery.com/wp-content ... 10x551.jpg

This major change, which is why BOTH of the CBI weapon modules would be needed for it, would result in the Super Shotgun's normally horizontal, left-right spread to now being switched to being up-down, VERTICAL. Since most of the enemies you want to use the Super Shotgun against are taller than they are wider, this has the effect of ensuring now a great many of those left-right pellets that would have went past your target before are now going to be hitting said target in the face or knees! Now the Super Shotgun has got a little range effectiveness to it! At medium ranges where the vanilla shotgun is still plenty effective, but the Super Shotgun has too many pellets going wide left-right of your target, those are now hitting your target in the face or legs when using it against Knights/Barons or a Revenant, or even an Arch-Vile if your timing's good enough!

User option for different mail packs to match non-doom2.wad level packs, including the Final DooM IWADs, is fine with me, you just load 'em up right after the main Lithium packfile. :D

Also meanwhile, heh heh, on the Cyber Mage, I really like the Shock Rifle so much, and with how it has 7 round mags, makes me wish it looked more like an M1 Garand and had the signature 'PING' sound of it ejecting clips everytime you fired the last shot from it! ^^

EDIT - Just occurred to me you only see the witty pickup messages for the weapons just one time, but its the same message whenever you sell subsequent weapon pickups for credits. Need to now make witty messages about selling said weapons. x3
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Patriot1776 wrote:Meanwhile, a second upgrade for it, that WOULD require BOTH CBI weapon modules, yes I'm including the weapon refactoring module, would be an upgrade to switch the Super Shotgun from being side-by-side to being Over-Under as seen here:
It's not possible to change the structure of the weapon because the loading system is 4-dimensional, so without proper tools (which even the WRD definitely doesn't have) it's not possible to mod it beyond what shells you load.
Patriot1775 wrote:Also meanwhile, heh heh, on the Cyber Mage, I really like the Shock Rifle so much, and with how it has 7 round mags, makes me wish it looked more like an M1 Garand and had the signature 'PING' sound of it ejecting clips everytime you fired the last shot from it! ^^
Well, it uses a regular magazine and not a stripper clip unlike the M1, since it's modeled after the SKS.
Patriot1774 wrote:Just occurred to me you only see the witty pickup messages for the weapons just one time, but its the same message whenever you sell subsequent weapon pickups for credits. Need to now make witty messages about selling said weapons. x3
That's intentional.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

A MAJOR observation with the Marine's Combat Rifle that need addressing if you don't have them on your todo list:

1. You should be able to switch OUT of the grenade launching mode BEFORE the reloading animation has finished.

I just blew myself up enough times to ragequit due to being unable to switch to firing bullets while the grenade launcher mode was reloading and so wound up lobbing a grenade at point-blank range when I meant to fire bullets. This happened in a confined area on MAP01 of Icaraus with the second teleporting Imps trap. Because of how fast the imps move in the mod, this becomes a real need on levels where imps start being teleported into a confined area and you need an initial grenade from the Combat Rifle and then immediately afterwards start firing bullets. It would be best if the reloading animation for the grenade launcher was triggered with the normal reload key instead of it happening automatically, because in confined locations with fast moving enemies teleporting in one after the other quickly, you don't have the time to wait for the reloading animation of the grenade launcher to finish before said fast enemies are on you and tearing you limb from limb.
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Patriot1776 wrote:You should be able to switch OUT of the grenade launching mode BEFORE the reloading animation has finished.
Added, you can now hold fire to reload the grenade launcher afterward or just tap to fire it.
BcSeed7

Post by BcSeed7 »

Awesome Wad, but I have a problem, you cannot gain experience when playing with Shut Up And Lithium. Is there any way to fix that problem?
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

BcSeed7 wrote:Awesome Wad, but I have a problem, you cannot gain experience when playing with Shut Up And Lithium. Is there any way to fix that problem?
This will be fixed in 1.6. I forgot to add SUAL enemies to the monster list.
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

That's very cool mod, reminds me a somethig between Kyle'sDRPG and Trailblazer.

Overloader upgrade for Ion Cannon seems bugged in GZDoom2.2 - after shot with it the Ion Cannon freezes and prevent from further shooting or weapon changing. Unfortunately, mod doesn't launches on GZDoom 3.1-3.2.5, causing crash in my case at least.
CrashReport.zip
gzdoom3.1 crash report
(22.44 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

Marub

this is an awesome mod.. did you do it yourself?

i love it
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Update on 1.6. Most of the new features are mostly done now. Working on getting the new player classes down slowly. Here's some previews of stuff I've been doing:
Spoiler: Lots of big images, update spoilers
This is only a bit of the stuff I've been adding, so 1.6 should be a fairly major update. No release date yet.
shadstarn wrote:Marub
this is an awesome mod.. did you do it yourself?
i love it
There's a list of credits in the thread topic, but yes. Also, I unbanned you from my server almost a week ago if you didn't notice.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”