Lithium 1.7.0 Beta (Apr. 17, 2022)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Lithium [1.3.1 Update/Mar. 16]

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Well, you know all the witchery better than me ahahahahahaha, i had to go MacGyver on decorate to solve some issues hahahaha
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

Marrub wrote:I've reached a bit of a dilemma in development.

So, the code I wrote for the upgrades system is extremely limiting, and I'm starting to realize this more and more. It's now become a complete roadblock.
In early development, when I was conceptualizing the mod and its systems, the core goals were to have an ability/weapons upgrades system and a CBI upgrades system.

I completely forgot about the latter very early in development, after my first hiatus on the project (far before its release.)

When I added the upgrades system, I did not account one damn bit for just about anything that I absolutely need now. And now 90% of the mod's code, both C and DECORATE, relies on the very specific way that I have it set up. I can't fix it without gratuitous effort. I've pretty much dug a hole and buried myself in it in this regard.

Until I somehow gather the motivation to do some major refactoring, I'm going to.. do.. whatever else. Sorry, all.
Just wanted to say that I really enjoy this mod and I feel that it's a good, fun place to be at. I hope you do come back to it but it's good to take a break every once in a while :)
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Maybe it's just me, but the super-shotgun is nigh unusable due to it's 6 tic trigger delay. I find it very difficult to use properly after using the stock SSG, whose delay is only 3 tics. Other than that, this mod is pure crack.

Oh, and a bug I've discovered - if a map maker sets a weapon to execute a special upon pickup, the special will not execute - this is because you override the map-set special in Lith_Weapon.
thevicejeebus

Post by thevicejeebus »

Hi all! Awesome mod. Has anyone gotten a situation when running Lithium with other wads (e.g. Echelon, Hellbound, Scythe 2) where levels load without any visible monsters and then "Invisible" monsters spam the player with attacks until death? This has happened when running Lithium on latest Zdoom and Gzdoom on Windows 10 64 bit system.
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Sound like you turned on serious mode.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Ikazu-san wrote:Sound like you turned on serious mode.
And in case you were wondering, "Serious Mode" is a difficulty from Serious sam, where there are harder spawns, less ammo, and invisible enemies. Yep. (granted those pulsed in and out of visibility so it wasn't complete invisibility)
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

I return from Hell to punish the living! With words.
I may or may not also be working on this again, now.
Mikk- wrote:Maybe it's just me, but the super-shotgun is nigh unusable due to it's 6 tic trigger delay. I find it very difficult to use properly after using the stock SSG, whose delay is only 3 tics. Other than that, this mod is pure crack.

Oh, and a bug I've discovered - if a map maker sets a weapon to execute a special upon pickup, the special will not execute - this is because you override the map-set special in Lith_Weapon.
It.. only has 3 tics?
checks
Wow! I feel extremely stupid now. Fixed.

I'll also see if I can fix the latter bug, will probably have to do some super hacks. I really don't want to replace the weapons with CustomInventory pickups.
thevicejeebus wrote:Hi all! Awesome mod. Has anyone gotten a situation when running Lithium with other wads (e.g. Echelon, Hellbound, Scythe 2) where levels load without any visible monsters and then "Invisible" monsters spam the player with attacks until death? This has happened when running Lithium on latest Zdoom and Gzdoom on Windows 10 64 bit system.
Go into settings and turn "Are you serious?" off. :P
thevicejeebus

Post by thevicejeebus »

Cryomundus wrote:
And in case you were wondering, "Serious Mode" is a difficulty from Serious sam, where there are harder spawns, less ammo, and invisible enemies. Yep. (granted those pulsed in and out of visibility so it wasn't complete invisibility)
Weird evolution of this situation. "Serious Mode" was not on, but maybe it was triggered somehow? And when this would happen, it isn't that enemies would be invisible, it's that every enemy in the level would be invisible and firing at me from all over the map, and their projectiles would be going through the walls. It was awesome but terrifying. If the Doom Guy has nightmares that might be one of them.

Anyway, I re-downloaded the latest version of GZDoom and the "invisible enemies" glitch is gone. New situation is that when I run that latest GZDoom with Lithium and Shut Up and Lithium, the game will sometimes have this strange clicking sound (sounds kind of like the player footstep noise, just repeated over and over). But this is a great improvement and thanks everyone for the suggestions!
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

thevicejeebus wrote:
Cryomundus wrote:
Weird evolution of this situation. "Serious Mode" was not on, but maybe it was triggered somehow? And when this would happen, it isn't that enemies would be invisible, it's that every enemy in the level would be invisible and firing at me from all over the map, and their projectiles would be going through the walls. It was awesome but terrifying. If the Doom Guy has nightmares that might be one of them.

Anyway, I re-downloaded the latest version of GZDoom and the "invisible enemies" glitch is gone. New situation is that when I run that latest GZDoom with Lithium and Shut Up and Lithium, the game will sometimes have this strange clicking sound (sounds kind of like the player footstep noise, just repeated over and over). But this is a great improvement and thanks everyone for the suggestions!
I believe that is the sound of the monsters footsteps. That mod causes the monsters to wander around instead of staying in their fixed spots till woken.

Also, great to see you might be back Marrub!
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Yeah, SUAB's monsters all have footstep sounds, just to spook you.

I refactored the upgrades system like I said I was going to, so the stuff I wanted to add should be waaaay easier now. It's also now possible to add upgrades externally in other mods, though I need to add more to the API so you can add stuff that does more than sit there in your 'inventory'.

[nerdshit]The main thing I did was change the way upgrades are indexed -- previously they all had to be in perfect linear order, so the HUD upgrade was upgrade 0, the movement upgrade was upgrade 1, etc. Now everything's index can be anywhere, because they're accessed via hashmap, and sorted at runtime by category and index.[/nerdshit]

I also added a weapon upgrade to the new extras addon (which requires GZDoom 2.4.0.)
Marrub

Post by Marrub »

Version 1.4 is almost complete now, I've implemented most of the big features on my TODO list now and am quite happy with the results.
What remains is testing for bugs and balance issues, which just involves playing a lot of maps.

If anyone wants to help, you can download the latest development version off of github, here. Here's a rather vague list of stuff I added:
  • The CBI now has themes you can select from the settings menu
  • New upgrades (of course)
  • Improved upgrades menu
  • CBI upgrades, acquired from bosses
Mainly, I need to make sure the bosses aren't too strong, or too weak, and that they're spaced evenly enough to not be annoying. Feedback would be appreciated.
Ikazu-san

Re: Lithium [1.3.1 Update/Mar. 16][Info/Apr. 12]

Post by Ikazu-san »

Now that it's possible to download more RAM, will there be bitcoin miners for C/BI?
Marrub

Re: Lithium [1.3.1 Update/Mar. 16][Info/Apr. 12]

Post by Marrub »

Ikazu-san wrote:Now that it's possible to download more RAM, will there be bitcoin miners for C/BI?
Yes.
Also, I should probably post a screenshot, so here's one of the new CBI tab:
Spoiler:
And one of the new Upgrades tab:
Spoiler:
and also one of this weapon because it's cool
Spoiler:
Marrub

Re: Lithium [1.4 Update/Apr. 14]

Post by Marrub »

Version 1.4 (Lumate) has been released. Download
This update features several new gameplay systems, new upgrades and a few balance changes and new settings.

I also released an addon, and a separate mod, both available on the OP.

Changes:
Spoiler:
In the future, I plan to add new systems for inventory keeping, monster ranking similar to DRPG, a new player class mode and a metric ton of polish. Maybe.
Have fun!
durbdoogle

Re: Lithium [1.4 Update/Apr. 14]

Post by durbdoogle »

Great looking update! Super glad you got the motivation to continue :) Quick question, for anyone really, what is a good monster pack to play this with? I have been using the stock monsters but something with a little more variety would be nice :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”