D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: D4D - Now On GitHub!

Post by Major Cooke »

Sure.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

I don't mean to bump the thread but i am sort of curious on one thing with D4D, How do you get those really awesome effects to show in gameplay "you know the really sweet weapon lighting effects that DBThantos had with his recent trailer for the mod".

is there some trick to do it or can i enable if via menu.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Can you run GZDoom?
TheLightBad96

Post by TheLightBad96 »

Most definitely, I am running version 2.2.0
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Are you running with openGL enabled? (type vid_renderer in console. If it says 0 or false, type 'vid_renderer 1' and restart.)

If so, check the options menu. There's lots of toggleable stuff.
TheLightBad96

Post by TheLightBad96 »

Major Cooke wrote:Are you running with openGL enabled? (type vid_renderer in console. If it says 0 or false, type 'vid_renderer 1' and restart.)

If so, check the options menu. There's lots of toggleable stuff.
I typed that command "vid_renderer" in the menu and it came up as "1" for true, so what toggles am I supposed to look for in the options?
"yet again sorry for the absolute NOOB question"

EDIT - Found what i was supposed to add. and i am satisfied with results, I was looking in the wrong place " I thought it was in D4D options but in reality i had to enable the bloom, " thanks for your assistance.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Welp, looks like this is official. I thought it was temporary but it appears to be permanent now.

Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

VICE's pistol lance is now in.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Have you considered having the laserimp guy that replaces the chaingunner's charge time to be faster? I feel like the threat level most of the time is minimal compared to the old chaingunner. Many maps like to brutally use chaingun snipers, and for some reason I feel like their replacement's threat seems marginal most of the time.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Those guys tend to be the bane of me more often than now. Some maps have them placed all willy nilly style out in the open where their pitiful bullets sometimes fail to hit me... but when the laser guys are on maps from far away and aiming at you? You can be in trouble if you don't pay attention and if the laser setting is on ZDoom instead of GZDoom. :P
Trump Stumper

Post by Trump Stumper »

Major Cooke wrote:Welp, looks like this is official. I thought it was temporary but it appears to be permanent now.
Eh, shit happens.

Think about it this way: Y'all came together for a brief moment, and made an outstanding mod. Now that mod is having babies of its own.

It's like being a parent.

Also, D4D is better than Brutal Doom. Although the Starter Pack Megawad is still pretty decent.
SyntherAugustus

Major Cooke wrote:Those guys tend to be the bane of me more often than now. Some maps have them placed all willy nilly style out in the open where their pitiful bullets sometimes fail to hit me... but when the laser guys are on maps from far away and aiming at you? You can be in trouble if you don't pay attention and if the laser setting is on ZDoom instead of GZDoom. :P
For me it's anywhere with cover, because anybody who has played Doom 2 for many years who may have mastered the time an AV charges their attack would notice a very similar delay if not longer. Also, I noticed just now that unlike a vile, the laser imp actually pauses in position while firing the red laser instead of chasing the player down with it. If I'm out in the open with chaingunners, I should be punished similar to Doom 2.

The short version is that the player can out pace the laser imps, and with cover the attacks become predictable like an archvile's. If the laser imps still aimed at the player during their blast, it would be a lot more dangerous.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Ah, one thing I should have mentioned... DBThanatos, Michaelis and I are more... 'casual' players. We play at our own leisure, we don't try to make it so hard core or do anything super competitive.

But too many times I've had my ass sniped by those bastards and there's plenty of areas that would become insanely difficult on some of my favorite megaWADS if I just crank it the hell up here and now. Sorry. :P

If you want, you could make an addon that cranks up the difficulty yourself.

Also, the archvile doesn't move while attacking.
SyntherAugustus

Major Cooke wrote:
Also, the archvile doesn't move while attacking.
True dat, but the player gets the full damage blast from the vile after the charge. In the case of the chaingunner, I can still avoid damage entirely.

Perhaps make the harder behavior be existent in Nightmare and U-Nightmare difficulties? I noticed in the skill code that monsters are more aggressive, perhaps make this a part of that?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Wait, are you talking the summoner or the actual old archvile? Because it's easy to dodge the summoner's if you just keep moving.

Speaking of which, I did add an 'enhanced AI' option that you can try out. It only changes their movement patterns but it's definitely more aggressive.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”