D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.4 NEW POLL! p. 49

Post by Major Cooke »

ZScript is indeed what I'm using. Huh. Just adding that flag alone seemed to have resolved many of those issues. Alright! I'll make some adjustments, but I'll need to figure out something for the ammo/health bar positioning.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Major Cooke wrote:ZScript is indeed what I'm using. Huh. Just adding that flag alone seemed to have resolved many of those issues. Alright! I'll make some adjustments, but I'll need to figure out something for the ammo/health bar positioning.
Sweet! Thanks, and good luck!
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Alright, I added a variant for 5:4 mode, just set your screen size to the full screen version. This just moves the ammo and health/armor bars closer together so you can see it all.

It's in the github already.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Major Cooke wrote:Alright, I added a variant for 5:4 mode, just set your screen size to the full screen version. This just moves the ammo and health/armor bars closer together so you can see it all.

It's in the github already.
Thanks, this is a good news for sure! I hope the red screen under demon mode is also covers whole screen? What did bother me the most is the artificial sight of the mod was out of place and was in wrong position so my shots were always missing, plus it was blocking the implemented sight of the gzdoom itself.

Maybe let us have option to disable the sight images like in D4T? Although I like the graphic it have for some of the demons.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

You mean the crosshairs? You can turn those off in the D4D options menu. I always play with GZDoom's crosshair on personally. Also, all of them are aligned just fine. If you mean the Baron of Hell's, that's on purpose. It was set to the side because it's an indicator that he throws with the right hand.

As for the demon blood edges, I made them centered. They may still clip a little over the sides but at least its even now.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Could anyone tell me which GZDoom version is the latest that this mod will work on?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

The latest. Always use the very latest. And if that doesn't work, try a devbuild, though the alpha releases I intend to only release based on official GZDoom versions instead of devbuilds.

However, alpha 8.4 is outdated by now. I suggest you use the bleeding edge and I've updated the instructions to reflect this.

Good news is, I'm close to releasing Alpha 8.5. Just need to set some of the newest additions out in the github wild and then fix things.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Is Alpha 8.5 going to see new player Praetor Suit sprites, and sprites to replace things like the pinkie and the zombiemen? That Doom 64 pinkie sprite in an age where there are descent 2016 replacements is just terrible. A lot of us sure wish D4D would get these sprite replacements.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Praetor suit: Got any good replacements? Preferrably from somewhere which will allow reuse? Because if not, nope.

Monsters: I do agree, they desperately need replacing. I might take the ones from D4T if I have no other options. If you know of someone or some place to get them from however, by all means, show me.

Zombiemen in Doom Eternal however are based around Doom 64's own versions. I may outright just revert the sprites that we have because I admit, the terminator-styled monsters don't really fit.

By helping me find resources, you in turn will be credited to the mod, and this goes for anyone who does so. ;)

As for when these two things will happen, not until after the weapons and utility have been overhauled. So probably not for a few more alpha releases.
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

you could use the monster sprites from doom krakkens Embers of Armageddon, another DOOM 16 based mod. That is if he allows you the use of them. I think his are either edited phobos66 sprites. Or edited d4t ones.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I admit I haven't been keeping tabs of any mods outside my own, but Krakken and I get along pretty good, and I even gave him pieces of code so I don't think securing them will be a problem. Thanks for informing me of that.

I'm going to spend the next day testing the hell out of the upcoming changes, and if all goes well by evening, 8.5 will be ready for release then.

Flame Belch.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Doom 4 vanilla has great sprites. In particular there are actual hand drawn sprites for Doom 2016 Mancubus and Cybermancubus. You can find the mod in Doomworld forums.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I'm happy with the mancubi we have. I won't be changing all of them, only those who would do the most impact. Such as the revenant and pinkie.

Come to think of it, I somewhat have no reason to replace the player sprite since it's first person mode, and D4D isn't multiplayer-centric.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Nothing wrong with not replacing the third person sprites. I tried doing a massive replacement like that once and its hell to have to rename those files.
Major Cooke

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.5 Released (11/8/2019)

Post by Major Cooke »

8.5 has been released and the installation instructions have changed.

You will need to download all three files under the Stable instructions as resources have been moved over, and GZDoom 4.2+ is required.

Changelog

Most notable elements:
  • New Flame Belch utility. You start with this, and is always available.
  • Damage Indicators (toggleable under D4D's Display Options
  • Pinata + Rocket Launcher HUD indicators (shows through level geometry!)
  • Global utility cooldown has been converted into individual cooldowns. Ever wanted to syphon grenade a group of enemies after immediately dropping a holograph? Now you can!
Soon, the enemies will become tougher to make up for such wild abilities... Stay tuned for more info.

But more importantly, have fun! :mrgreen:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”