D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 7 - Suggestions? p.39

Post by Major Cooke »

Hell yes. (Nearly) double the gun, (nearly) double the fun. Might as well see if I can throw in the gore nests too. I'm having a hard time remembering who made that mod... And if possible SOME form of rune trials, but don't count on it.

And to of course complete the rainbow doom monsters.

And sure, why not, I'll put in a cvar multiplier as well.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I have plenty of stuff to suggest... but it's mostly just stripping down of stuff.

Because a lot of the additions being made here makes D4D seem more like an empty acronym, rather than it actually feeling and playing like DOOM 4 Doom.

Should I continue?
XavierStudios

Post by XavierStudios »

Rework the crate drop to a quasi-random method determined by fake credits that are awarded in the background. As you kill enemies, fake credits increase. After reaching an arbitrary value of, say, 750, crates are allowed to drop from enemies. After a crate drops, fake credits are reverted to zero and the cycle begins anew.

The original posts:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

DoomKrakken: Go ahead.

I could think of a few things that could go myself...
  • Carmack renderer support (this mod was made with GZDoom in mind after all, and I'm quite tired of supporting the mod on the ZDoom renderer.)
  • Many frivolous options such as choosing tracer types and restricting it down to tracers being on or off
  • (Almost) every ACS system -- converting them all to ZScript instead

These two things certainly stand in the way of making this multiplayer friendly -- bearing in mind this mod won't work for Zandronum until it can catch up with GZDoom, which isn't anytime soon.

I'm not committed to these yet as I want to wait on some opinions first.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

XavierStudios: Thought about it... If anything I'm kinda tempted to axe the credit system. I'd like to actually make a poll about that.

If I keep it, that idea won't outright replace the credit system but it can serve as a challenge mode for people to get multi-kills. That whole system of credit earning and the onscreen display needs an overhaul at any rate so that would be an opportune subsystem to snipe at the same time.
-----
The crates poll has been finalized. As a result, the drop rates will remain the same.
-----
Also, those menus are going to become much more spiffy very soon.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Alright, so this is what I have to say.

- Akimbo system has got to go. No one can dual-wield in DOOM, not the Doom Slayer, not the Multi Player. You're not your ancestor, B. J. Blazkowicz, who can dual-wield, you're not in Wolfenstein, and this isn't Trailblazer. You're the Doom Slayer. You kill stuff, and you get to the point.

- That being said, Double Double Trouble Trouble also has to go. Again, this isn't Trailblazer. XD

- If the Combat Shotgun's Explosive Shot is going to cost 2 shells to use, then remove its cooldown completely. Else, let it have its cooldown but have it cost 1 shell to use. That was the trade-off that was introduced in DOOM. It's a very subtle mechanic, but basically it expects that you're not going to wait around to let it cool down. Every second matters. Not only that, but you can't just use the Explosive Shot in every situation. There will also be situations where the Explosive Shot shouldn't be used. I'd rather it had the same mechanics as DOOM, where it had a cooldown in singleplayer and cost 1 shell to use.
Note:In multiplayer, the Explosive Shot costs 1 shell and has no cooldown, though it doesn't have an instant load, and it doesn't deal much more damage than a point-blank buckshot payload.

- Implement the Mastery Challenges and Mastery Upgrades for all singleplayer weapons.

- Weapon Mods should be collected from Field Drones, not purchased via credits.

- Weapon Mods should not already have any of their upgrades built-in.

- The BFG ball doesn't kill everything it gets near to. So if it's far enough away and it explodes, monsters that the ball hasn't killed that aren't near enough to the ball upon its death won't die.

- In more recent gameplay for DOOM, the BFG ball itself now rips through non-boss enemies, instakilling them. Do that.

- Stretchy tracers for the bullet/pellet-type weapons need to go. They're ugly AF, and they're performance-eaters.

- Implement Praetor Suit Tokens and replace the Universal Credit System with the standard Weapon Upgrade Point System. Also remove kebab crates.

- WE NEED RUNES.

- Get rid of the Health, Armor, and Ammo upgrades from the purchase menu and replace them with Argent Cells.

- That being said, backpacks should go. Now you'll have another place where you can spawn stuff.

- If it's at all possible, though it's understandable if you don't want to, use D4T's overhauled weapon sprites, complete with Praetor Suit gauntlets.

- Siphon Grenade works too slowly. The drain effect should occur 15 times at a rate of 7 times per second (so, every 5 tics), and it should siphon one unit of health at a time, times the number of affected monsters. It shouldn't siphon armor unless an Equipment Power rune is present and selected. Also, the Siphon Grenade is totally painless, so add the PAINLESS flag to it.

- Bring in all of the Praetor Suit's abilities. All of 'em.

- Chainsaw shouldn't kill instantly. Do a Glory Kill sequence with it.

- Many of the enemies (mostly zombies) use incorrect sounds for attacking. Change those to the correct sounds.

- Don't have enemies continuously wail when they're staggered. At the very most, they should just do their pain sound once, when staggered.

I think that's it. I'll let you know if there's anything else. ;)
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

DoomKrakken wrote:Alright, so this is what I have to say.

- Akimbo system has got to go. No one can dual-wield in DOOM, not the Doom Slayer, not the Multi Player. You're not your ancestor, B. J. Blazkowicz, who can dual-wield, you're not in Wolfenstein, and this isn't Trailblazer. You're the Doom Slayer. You kill stuff, and you get to the point.

- That being said, Double Double Trouble Trouble also has to go. Again, this isn't Trailblazer. XD

I've never played either games/mods, funnily enough.

And actually, this idea was stemming from even before D4D v1 was released, and DBT loved the idea. And the fact Doom VFR does this doesn't help me wanting to get rid of it. In fact, Doom VFR, the very first VR game I played with at a friends house, actually had me craving for akimbo even harder than ever. What I may do for the time being is simply disable it because I haven't touched it in so long, and if the next weapon keybinds are the main issues, well don't worry. I'm introducing a keybind that skips over the akimbo system. To me, when this is complete, it will represent a different challenge of operating with 'two minds'.

I will not remove them. I spent far too much time and effort on this just to let it go to waste. Since it's still incomplete, and due to lack of time, I'll push out an update to github that at least disables the 'weapon' cropping up in inventory.

Besides, ideas like these are merely to enhance the game, not take over it. It's always an option to use it.

- If the Combat Shotgun's Explosive Shot is going to cost 2 shells to use, then remove its cooldown completely. Else, let it have its cooldown but have it cost 1 shell to use. That was the trade-off that was introduced in DOOM. It's a very subtle mechanic, but basically it expects that you're not going to wait around to let it cool down. Every second matters. Not only that, but you can't just use the Explosive Shot in every situation. There will also be situations where the Explosive Shot shouldn't be used. I'd rather it had the same mechanics as DOOM, where it had a cooldown in singleplayer and cost 1 shell to use.
Agreed. I'll cut the cost and see how that works out.

- Implement the Mastery Challenges and Mastery Upgrades for all singleplayer weapons.
I would love to do this. As such I'm listening to suggestions for challenges on all the multiplayer weapons.

- Weapon Mods should be collected from Field Drones, not purchased via credits.
Ideas for where they spawn would be appreciated. Oh and, resources please! The mod's open source so if you have sprites/graphics, make a pull request on github to have them put in.

- Weapon Mods should not already have any of their upgrades built-in.
Ah, the good ol' simple days of DECORATE limitations are over. I forgot the reason why DBT didn't want to put them in. Probably due to time constraints.
But I do agree.

- The BFG ball doesn't kill everything it gets near to. So if it's far enough away and it explodes, monsters that the ball hasn't killed that aren't near enough to the ball upon its death won't die.
This actually only affects enemies that were tasered by the green laser. I think DBT did extensive studying with that, since he requested this personally. You might need to ask him about it though.

- In more recent gameplay for DOOM, the BFG ball itself now rips through non-boss enemies, instakilling them. Do that.
With pleasure.

- Stretchy tracers for the bullet/pellet-type weapons need to go. They're ugly AF, and they're performance-eaters.
...I see you have a knack for "dump it" when it's clearly optional. Why is that?
Like many other good things, you can turn them off in the D4D options menu. I play with them all the time, so no. They are staying.

- Implement Praetor Suit Tokens and replace the Universal Credit System with the standard Weapon Upgrade Point System. Also remove kebab crates.
I want to. But first I want to hear what others opinions are.

- WE NEED RUNES.
OF COURSE.

- Get rid of the Health, Armor, and Ammo upgrades from the purchase menu and replace them with Argent Cells.
A natural given the removal of the credit system.

- That being said, backpacks should go. Now you'll have another place where you can spawn stuff.
And then you have WADs like Xaser's Lost Soulsphere (yes, it counts... Regardless of if you don't count it, it presents a gameplay mechanic that may be relied upon in regular Doom maps. This mod is designed to accommodate for such.

I'll be quite honest, things like this are more geared towards focused mapsets rather than actual Doom mods themselves.

- If it's at all possible, though it's understandable if you don't want to, use D4T's overhauled weapon sprites, complete with Praetor Suit gauntlets.
I'm over it all now so I'm ready to import them at any time if someone's willing to aid me.

- Siphon Grenade works too slowly. The drain effect should occur 15 times at a rate of 7 times per second (so, every 5 tics), and it should siphon one unit of health at a time, times the number of affected monsters. It shouldn't siphon armor unless an Equipment Power rune is present and selected. Also, the Siphon Grenade is totally painless, so add the PAINLESS flag to it.
When this was first implemented, DBT actually required it to be slowed down and a dial implemented so people could choose how much it gives. I suppose it could change.

I will not give it PAINLESS though. I've seen it actually interrupt enemies before so if this was changed recently in Doom 2016, I don't know about it.

- Bring in all of the Praetor Suit's abilities. All of 'em.
I hate Barrels O' Fun anyway. ;) :mrgreen:

- Chainsaw shouldn't kill instantly. Do a Glory Kill sequence with it.
Give me some ideas.

- Many of the enemies (mostly zombies) use incorrect sounds for attacking. Change those to the correct sounds.
Specifics/resources please! Bear in mind I had absolutely nothing to do with resource implementing during D4D's entire development. Zero. Zilch. That was practically DBT's doing, and maybe Michaelis'?

Therefor, I never knew what tools they used for everything they did.

- Don't have enemies continuously wail when they're staggered. At the very most, they should just do their pain sound once, when staggered.
It's another option in the menu.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I forgot that the Chaingun's Gatling Rotator also suffers the same fate as the Combat Shotgun's Explosive Shot. Because it consumes two bullets per shot.

Since you are planning to restructure the weapon system to work like it does in DOOM, I suppose I don't need to suggest that you'd need to change the ammo usage back to what they originally were in DOOM, for all the other weapons... not just the Explosive Shot.
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

About the poll:
Never used crates much and I don't think they're are all that useful. I don't mind if they get removed or not, but I'd like cashmoney to stay.
Also a few other suggestions:
Option for monsters to drop loot only half as likely. Because "All" gives way too many BFG cells on maps with lots of monsters and "Chainsaw Only" outright disables carrion drops.
Armor that absorbs 75% of damage instead full 100%, so it doesn't run out so quickly and make health drops from glory kills a bit less situational.
I don't know if BFG's infinite orbiter is intentional that it's still here. But, wouldn't it make sense for it to use more ammo for more duration?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

DoomKrakken: I won't do all of it. Only what I feel is necessary.
Ikazu-san wrote:Option for monsters to drop loot only half as likely. Because "All" gives way too many BFG cells on maps with lots of monsters and "Chainsaw Only" outright disables carrion drops.
I've been meaning to lower how often the bfg ammo spawns.
Armor that absorbs 75% of damage instead full 100%, so it doesn't run out so quickly and make health drops from glory kills a bit less situational.
No. This is how Doom does it, and I'm sticking with it. This is especially important for one of the rune trials so it can't and won't change.
I don't know if BFG's infinite orbiter is intentional that it's still here. But, wouldn't it make sense for it to use more ammo for more duration?
When I tried it just recently, it wasn't infinite. It lasts for 13 seconds. Every time you use ammo on the secondary, it extends the duration by that long.
will183
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by will183 »

The hud is wayyyy too small, i've tryed to lower the hud scale to no avail, need help
SLAMNDAN

Post by SLAMNDAN »

A couple of quick questions.

Will the hud ever have a berserk indication? Or do you think it's not needed?

is there a reason that barrels are so much weaker than the original ones? There are some maps that use barrel explosions in gameplay and the weaker barrels can break that.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Weaker compared to whom? You or the monsters?
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

I have noticed that there is no HUD visible when the screen size is set to 11 (which is where the fullscreen hud would be seen normally), but there is a HUD when you have the screen size at 10 (where the status bar would be seen).

And it probably won't happen, but D4T has a feature that automatically forces your crosshair off when you're playing with that mod so you can still see your crosshair in other mods while D4D merely has a shortcut to the crosshair option. I was kinda wishing for that feature to be included.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Expect it.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”