D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

SyntherAugustus

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 7 - Announcement p. 42

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Tried this mod for the first time in a while. It's very much improved! Keep up the good work!

I would love to see the Reaper weapon included at some point, but I'll wait. :D
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 7 - Announcement p. 42

Post by Major Cooke »

My plan is to include all multiplayer weapons by the time Alpha 9 rolls around.

Thanks! I'm also adapting someone else's code to make FastProjectile classes better and make maps like ChuloniaProyect much less laggier... Especially map 30. Fucking revenants.

So far, things are going pretty swimmingly. At the rate I'm going I'll definitely have it out by today sometime.

I'm probably going to just hand rip all the weapons via Blender though. I can get things a lot more the way I want them and that means actually appropriate akimbo versions too. No more alien-armed doom guy. :P
Major Cooke

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8 (07/15/2018)

Post by Major Cooke »

New update available at last. And this update is big.

To sum it up, this update is aimed at improvements all around in performance.

SOME OF YOUR OPTIONS WILL HAVE CHANGED. Please reset them in the D4D Options menu.

See the changelog for a list of changes. Note the removal of Carmack renderer support.

-----

This has been a long time coming and it was not an easy decision to make lightly. I feel for the underdogs, but multiplayer support is soon going to be an imperative priority, something I want to shoot for hopefully before Doom Eternal comes around. Every check for the renderer used effectively destroys multiplayer support, including checks for things like individuals desiring shell casings or not.

I am making this post here and now because I expect to have all Carmack support destroyed by Alpha 10.

I am sorry this had to happen, but if I want to accomplish the bigger end goal, I have to take this first step. Many more will follow.
Major Cooke

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.1 (07/16/2018)

Post by Major Cooke »

Alpha 8.1 released.
Fixes the carrion cannon secondary not working properly.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Good to see an update! Hopefully people are able to update the addons as well finally!
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Don't count on it. Most of them have stopped because this mod uses ZScript.

Rather than force them to learn how to make it, especially if they have no interest, it'll just be easier on everyone if I just merged it all in and called it a day. So that's some good news. More content!

It'll take some time but it'll be worth it.

Not certain yet if I want to do that first or work on the brand new weapon and enemy that no one might be expecting~. :mrgreen:
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

or work on the brand new weapon and enemy that no one might be expecting~. :mrgreen:
This please.
DemonSlayer
Location: Resides in a base on Mars guarding the world from the Ream of Hell

Post by DemonSlayer »

I have been enjoying this mod by itself for a while now and after checking out all the addons I would like to try them out. What is the load order that I should use them in so as to not have errors? Thank you guys for all the hard work ^_^
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

They're incompatible. I plan on merging them into the mod instead.
DemonSlayer
Location: Resides in a base on Mars guarding the world from the Ream of Hell

Post by DemonSlayer »

I would very much appreciate that and I understand that it may take some time to do that. Thank you ^_^
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Been messing around with the Rainbow mode. It's a lot of fun, but some of the enemies like the pinky have too much health. They ought to give more even more credits if they sponge up so much damage. Also, speaking of credits, why are there no credits in original doom mode?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

That's just placeholder for now. When they all get their new attacks, abilities, and different empowered drops, their health variance will actually be much smaller.

Credits: ...Welp, I forgot all about them. I never, ever play with the original doom monsters.

But in all honesty, now I can't help wonder... Does anyone play with the original doom variants? Personally, I'm of the mindset that this mod is built for D4. I would ditch them in a heartbeat if I wasn't considerate of everyone else. One less thing to worry about...

Now if someone wants to go ahead and plant some credits in them, the properties are already on the current D4 monsters. Right now I cannot commit anything with them due to removing all the voxels and replacing them with real models.
Major Cooke

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.1 - New Poll p. 43

Post by Major Cooke »

Some updates for everyone. First off, I'm sealing the results of the current poll with a picture for proof of results.

Final results of Credits/Crates Mode vote
-----------------------------------------------------------------
  • 57% - Keep Both (Winner)
  • 10% - Remove credits (I voted here)
  • 24% - Remove crates
  • 10% - Remove both, make a new idea
There you go. Credits and crates are here to stay!
New poll is up.
Original Doom monsters. You decide.
Personally I'm torn on this one. On one hand, I never play with them. On the other hand, I did think about introducing some more monsters using the stock enemies just straight into D4D and merging them. I.e. chaingun plasma zombie that fires plasma bolts instead of hitscans. It's what the shield guy does after all! Granted that's more of an AA-12 kind of weapon...
Now for some other updates.
  • Models are going to be separated from the game.
    The exception is the models used for effects. Those will remain with the package by default. This also depends on if I can get the game running without convoluting the launch parameters or jeopardizing load orders. If I cannot, I will simply replace the voxels with real models and call it a day.

Long story short, voxels are a massive performance hit - in fact they're the biggest performance hit I've ever had with D4D ever since replacing all the laser beams with models. Simplest explanation according to Zanieon (who uses models extensively), every voxel cube is a single model. You can imagine how much this stacks up. Hell, turning OFF voxels usually boosts frame rates.

All voxels are going to be split off into their own package that you can load separately, if possible. Likewise, I will eventually be including some new models that support PBR textures, which will come with its own addon to load on top of it to enable all the high PBR stuff. That way you can't blame me if it kills your computer because you loaded it at your own risk despite the massive warning I'll be including with it.
  • New content's incoming soon(ish).
    Things are already coming out in github.

I'm making it official that D4D will not be taking any weapon assets from D4T since they are not compatible with the akimbo weapons (no one/no-handed variants made). I did find some fancy models that I can use however, which will include the multiplayer grenades and weapons.
Stay tuned for more updates.
Questions, opinions and comments are welcome as always.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I think that "Original Doom monsters" should be a toggle.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

That was my original goal too, but I started thinking about what others thoughts are first.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”