D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Twitchy2019

Re: D(E?)4D - v3 Alpha 8.5 - DE Discussion p. 52

Post by Twitchy2019 »

How I feel about crucible weapon.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Damn straight. Soon as I can, I'm all over it.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

As cool as it would be to include Eternal elements into D4D, I’d prefer DE4D to be its own separate mod since Eternal features many gameplay changes that make it play very differently from 2016.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

A little late now. If you haven't seen it already the equipment launcher has been in for several months at the least.

But, my plan is to have the ability to toggle on/off different features for either doom 4 or doom 5. So you can mix an match to your heart's content.

I have no desire to start a brand new mod all over again. I'm already in the midst of working on several others like ClusterPlex at the same time.

So, it's being rebranded as D(E)4D.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Fair enough. I heard DBT say he’d rather make an Eternal mod from scratch as opposed to putting stuff in D4T, so I guessed you’d do the latter.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Yeah, that's normally what I would do myself, but I'm a one man army. I do D4D's development all by myself now. Using ZScript is incredibly powerful, but much harder to handle if not done correctly. I seek to actually reproduce the menus if I can help it and I'd prefer not to have to set it up all over again.

On top of that, balance is going to be... well, for lack of a better term, an issue considering the game forced you to rely on the chainsaw for example, just to get ammo.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Will there be ability to play as mancuby, archie and pain elemental? Also I'd really love to see shoulder flamethrower, although improved as in game it feels rather very underpowered\useless.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

I actually really liked the platforming in Eternal, but it definitely needs to be deliberately built into the level.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Max: you can already play those three demons in game by grabbing demon runes. And were you talking about them being useless in DE or D4D? There already is the flamethrower in D4D.

Gollgagh: I agree. This is why I don't really like to include platforming stuff like wall climbing, but rather would boost rocket jumping and jump speeds. This is why I don't like ledge mantling, but I keep it begrudgingly without the animation because it's at least somewhat useful.
Apeirogon

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.5 Released (11/8/2019)

Post by Apeirogon »

Major Cooke wrote:Okay. So, thoughts about Doom Eternal...

It's fun, and it's really well put together, and at first it all seemed so flawless. But as the game progressed, I began to see the seams develop which turned into big cracks for me.

Doom 2016 was in the park of "here's a bunch of guns, have fun with them".

Doom Eternal was "you'll be punished for not following the flow".

What I would enjoy more of is something more along the lines of the middle. I get the usage of ammo and trying to encourage using specific weapons for enemies, but personally I feel like there wasn't enough ammo to really get to enjoy them long enough before running out of ammo. The shotgun in particular has this issue, though to be fair, the fast burst fully upgraded mod compensates if used carefully by spawning more ammo, and barrels can spawn ammo too.

There's always been an attention to detail that's needed but personally I feel like it required a little too much. Don't get me wrong, frantic is fun, but not when it's overwhelming/frustrating.

What do you guys think? How was it for you? What were the pros and cons of Doom Eternal for you?
More or less same. Literally disposable game for me. I already beat it and open/collect almost everything that possible, but I dont think I ever run it again. 6/10
GeneralDelphox
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by GeneralDelphox »

Out of curiosity, do you have plans on adding the cut Doom Eternal pistol? It looks much better than the one we had from Doom 2016.
Here's a video of it.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I'll think about it. Indeed, it looks nice.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Major Cooke wrote:Max: you can already play those three demons in game by grabbing demon runes. And were you talking about them being useless in DE or D4D? There already is the flamethrower in D4D.
Huh... oh right, I forgot it's a "grenade type".

Yeah, it's kinda severely underpowered in both games, barely functions as mere huge-cooldown "support" close range stun gun, which isn't even the case in your mod. I wish the flamethrower was stand alone weapon in doom eternal, i.e. it could be used for killing rather than "support", even if it still remained on a shoulder. At least Doom Eternal provide infinite ammo "cheat" for that, although damage and range still begs an buff.
Major Cooke

D(E)4D - v3 Alpha 8.5 - Teaser WIP p. 53

Post by Major Cooke »

TheNightATK300

Re: D(E)4D - v3 Alpha 8.5 - Teaser WIP p. 53

Post by TheNightATK300 »

Looks really epic, m8. I wonder if it is possible to "doom-fy" the blade, but since we do not really have any sprites for that yet, that can be accepted. How about toggling models for the sake of performance?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”