D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Gideon020

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 7 (06/05/2017) GRENADES! p.35

Post by Gideon020 »

Do I need all 3 files from the Bleeding Edge link to use the mod properly?
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

snackerfork wrote:Interesting! I'll try to learn it then.

Also, I want to ask - will the Doom 4 music addon ever be made compatible with the current version? I really like that mod but in the current version, it disables the Crates mode for... some reason.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. The only reason it's even still available is for those still playing 2.0.3. However, I did not design the addon myself, so you might have to wait for Michaelis since I've never played with it before.
Gideon020 wrote:Do I need all 3 files from the Bleeding Edge link to use the mod properly?
No. You choose one D4D.pk3 from either the alpha or the bleeding edge, and D4DResources.pk3. I recommend the bleeding edge though because it contains some critical bug fixes.

The next alpha is still a ways off, too. I'm waiting for QZDoom to be merged into GZDoom once again which contains a necessary addition for me to continue working on it.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I just pushed an experimental commit to the repository. After discussing with other modders, checking cvars en masse apparently seems to drag down performance so I culled many of them in an effort to improve performance with HQ monster effects. Feedback on whether it does or not would be appreciated.

Take note though, projectiles will no longer update on the fly -- only newly made ones will as a result.
snackerfork

Post by snackerfork »

Kinsie can probably answer this himself, but I'm immensely curious so I wanted to ask - why don't you get permission from him to use his Summoner sprites from MetaDoom? I replaced them in my own version and they look fantastic, much better than the Archvile sprite edits (no offense to whoever did those).
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Those archvile sprites were just taken straight off of Realm667, so that's understandable. :P

At the time we put the project together, we didn't really have anything else.

I did ask Kinsie a while ago and he said it's fine as long as credit's given where due. If you want to shoot over what you changed to me, I'll consider implementing it. I'll just need credits of everyone involved though (assuming DrPyspy and Kinsie so far are the only two involved but I could be outright wrong.)
snackerfork

Post by snackerfork »

Another update to my Addons/HF patch mod-mod (hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread a bit Major Cooke, doesn't feel like it needs its own thread): I've added back in the Elite Guards and the Praetor Tokens. The "Praetor Tokens" don't actually do anything besides give you plenty of credits/crates, and there's no HUD information about how many there are on the map yet because that's a bit beyond my skill set at the moment. But it works!

Unlike the original, they don't spawn on backpacks. Only armor and keys. The chance is also lower than the chance of a Gore Nest spawning.

The link is the same as before: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36UuN ... sp=sharing

ETA: Figured out how to get HUD elements for the Praetor tokens to show on the HUD! They also now have a random chance of spawning instead of Field Drones in place of backpacks.
Last edited by snackerfork on Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I don't mind. :P Eventually I'll get around to merging them in anyway once I obtain all permissions necessary.
Condor-2-4-2

Post by Condor-2-4-2 »

Hello,

I'm new to the D4D mod and have a question on how to activate purchased items (e.g. suits, demon runes and so on). I thought I have to choose an item with the item select and activate buttons which I can define in the custom controls. But nothing happens. I'm using the lates bleeding edge build with gzdoom-x64-g3.2pre-125.

Can anyone tell me how to use the purchased items?

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Condor-2-4-2
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

You don't purchase items, you purchase upgrades for them. Upgrades for demon runes will have an effect when you pick up a demon rune, and suit upgrades are passive and constant.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

^ This. They're all passive items, except for mods.
-----
Seeing as the poll has stopped moving around so much, I now know just what I'm going to be working on after a couple other things. So, posting this for further reference, the results are (and my priorities will be, when the time comes):

-Finish Powerup Upgrades: 87
-Grenade Launcher: 62
-Pinkie Demon Rune: 27
-Static Rifle: 10

Now we have a new poll, one which has been of concern for a while now, and that's the amount of crates received during gameplay (Pickup mode only).
snackerfork

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 7 - Another poll! p. 36

Post by snackerfork »

I'll be honest, I don't really get crates. What do you do with them?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

It spawns a random item for you to pick up.
snackerfork

Post by snackerfork »

Does it spawn it after you get a certain amount, or does it increase the chance of it spawning from enemies? It seems that the amount is much higher than the equivalent amount of credits.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

It spawns something when you use the "buy crate" button.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

There's a keybind in the D4D options menu -> customize controls. Press the key you bind it to, and it'll consume either 1 crate (pickup mode) or 500 credits (purchase mode) and teleport in a new item for you.

I've been attempting to balance it around roughly 500 credits. But that also depends on if you play with Rainbow Doom(4) monsters or just regular D4D monsters. If the former, then yes, expect a potential abundance mainly because the monsters are harder to kill. And unlike credits, you cannot use crates to purchase upgrades from the menu.

Here's what I was thinking...

Credits mode, they're a bit more expensive because you have to decide whether you want that specific upgrade you're gunning for or if you really need to gamble in order to save your own hide.

Crates mode, you can't use them to get upgrades, reducing their overall value to survival, especially since they are a gamble. It usually also takes a good while to get body/powerup upgrades to start accumulating because the weapons have a higher priority.

Powerups themselves are quite rare, becoming less so with each crate upgrade. The crates can become a bit overpowered when fully upgraded, though usually that doesn't happen until mid to late game if unlucky. But there's a diminishing return on the fully upgraded version in the form of weapons having a chance to spawn, and you may already have them all at that point in time.

-----

On another note, I've pushed out some more fixes -- in particular, the akimbo offsets have finally been fixed on bleeding edge. You will need to potentially update your devbuilds once more.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”