D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 6 (05/14/2017)

Post by Xeotroid »

Major Cooke wrote:Blame Michaelis and DBThanatos for that. They have special programming notepads which they use to highlight things and such, but I find it annoying since I use SLADE and it doesn't recognize the file name. :P
[Laughs in Notepad++ and PSPad]
Strangely enough, SLADE doesn't have any problem with those files for me, it opens them up without problems and correctly detects the entry type, as well.

Also, this is how the loading screen looks like in action, though something saying D4D might be more fitting.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

@Xeotroid: Love that loading screen :o Amazing work! Didn't even know stuff like that was possible...

@Major Cooke: I BELIEVE this has been requested before, but in the "Pickup" upgrade mode, is there a way to use the upgrade menu as a way to view what the upgrades you obtain do? (Open the menu, cannot purchase upgrades but can view descriptions) I usually play Ultimate Doom with pickup and Doom 2 (and onward) with Credits, but the first upgrade I get is usually a powerup upgrade I don't know xD

EDIT: Also regarding the new version...

Redownloaded Resources, D4D, and got new dev build. Seems like monsters are fine, but after first Glory Kill, its as if I have "notarget" on (monsters can't detect me) and can walk through monsters.
Xtor98
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Xtor98 »

I'm have a two strange bugs:

1) In latest dev build of GZDoom 3.0.x, when the monsters attack me, my health keep undamaged. I load only D4D.pk3, but my folder also contains D4DResources.pk3.

2) When i'm throw grenade and she falling on the floor, this object generate more than one hit sounds before exploding.

D4D v3 Alpha 6.
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

UPDATE: The issues the two of us have MAY have to do with the latest dev build, so I guess still stick with older versions. I'll try to find one that I'm using that works.

https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gz ... 8be7ff0.7z is the build I'm using, according to the filename. Not sure if it has more bugs or not though.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

@Xeotroid okay you have me convinced. Send it my way and I'll toss it in. I wonder if it picks up an error on syntax compile, if it'll actually show the error.

@XTor98 yeah that's also a GZDoom bug that was my mistake. Keep to an older version, try bagel's version out that he's using.

@mamaluigisbagel Another beta tester confirmed that it was dependant on the GZDoom version so for now, stick with the older one until a newer version comes out. Also, yes, I plan on changing the upgrade menu to show what upgrades you have and for what items while in pickup mode.
vidumec

Post by vidumec »

it seems that upgrades don't work in alpha 6. When purchasing them, the credits arent taken away, despite the upgrade menu saying "owned", though the upgrade doesnt actually work at all and when the upgrade menu is reopened, it shows as if nothing was purchased

edit: nevermind, it was just Tilt++ mod breaking them for some reason, maybe its the Tick() override
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I might take a look into what Tilt++ is doing, but I'm not sure if Nash has updated it anytime soon.

At any rate, Xeotroid's loading screen is now in.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

How does one create a loading screen? And what's it good for, besides an aesthetic?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

That's one thing I'll have to say "Fucked if I know!" to.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

DoomKrakken wrote:How does one create a loading screen? And what's it good for, besides an aesthetic?
[wiki]Startup_lumps[/wiki]
In my experience (particularly with Hexen-style ones) the answer is, with great difficulty and yeah, mostly aesthetics.
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

The big screen itself is quite easy, but SLADE has problems with it. When you convert an image to the planar format (you need to have additional image formats checked in SLADE's settings), you mustn't click save to confirm the changes but rather click on Revert and confirm that. If you click on Save, you'll get a strange PNG file that either works in most places (not in the loading screen) or it gets strangely corrupted and broken. If you click on Revert, it will work. Enjay actually figured it out in an old thread.
The notch graphics were a bit worse, because they're supposed to use STARTUP's palette, but SLADE can't use it, so the best solution is to make it with a hex editor, since it's all raw data (one hexa character is one pixel in the graphic, so it's easy to follow). That beam was easy to make, but something more complex, like the original bone notches, would be tougher and borderline impossible if you wanted them to use different colours than those in the main image.
To be honest, I'm surprised there's a support for something as niche as this, were planar graphics even used at this point in 1995 other than the loading screen in Hexen?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Stop me if you've heard this question before... XD

Is there a chance we're gonna get the fancy lightning effects here as a standalone mod? I really, REALLY need the lightning from here, because all other attempts to create BFG tracers and Lightning Gun projectiles really pale in comparison to the ones in D4D.

Or, at the very least, can one teach me how to do these myself? :D
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Yes, I plan on doing a tutorial when I can. However it's quite complex which is one reason I've put it on hold and I want to figure out a way to make it simpler if possible, though I'm not sure if I can...
IconOfSin

Post by IconOfSin »

When is gzd 3.0 compability?
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

Damn, planning on adding praetor suit graphics like D4T 2.0? Also, you would say that you would add the grenade launcher after D4T 2.0's release.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”