D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

SyntherAugustus

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 1 (1/15/17) [DRDBuilds]

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Maybe one of two options regarding the Static Rifle.

One: Treat the SR like some kind of shock rifle. It would have an alternate fire that shoots a ball, and the combo's damage is based on the charge you gave while running around.
Two: The current primary fire is now the secondary, while the primary now just does some kind of static damage. It would essentially be the plasma pistol but the charge is automatic with you running around and all.

Also, very random, but I want to play this in Heretic and Hexen suddenly.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Very good info here... but isn't the BFG-9000 supposed to be OP? I mean, what with it being the ultimate weapon and all and the fact that you can only carry up to 4 shots with it at any given time... I'd think that'd make it fairly balanced, no?

I always go for buffs... but this time, I'll switch things up! Let's try something new!
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

I have no intention of nerfing the BFG's primary fire. The secondary, on the other hand, may (not) be replaced entirely if it doesn't get an outright nerf.

----------

3 buffs, 1 nerf? XD

But I'm glad to see I'm getting an overwhelming amount of "Make something new!" Because I just had a rather fun idea come to me last night that I think you guys will enjoy.

I intend on keeping the current Static Rifle behavior as one type of firemode which you switch to using the mod switch key. The changes will be as follows.
  • 30 levels of charge
  • Each upgrade will continue to increase the rate of charge, and how fast one can shoot, starting at a fire rate of 2 seconds and fully upgraded being 1
  • Multi-tapping is gone
  • Every shot consumes a charge
  • Damage scales according to charge, up to a maximum of 75% current max damage
This list is subject to change. As for the new firemode, it'll use cells, if not its own ammunition. I call this mode... the Tachyon Star. More details soon!

----------

One thing I noticed is when infighting is turned off, you kinda need the current firepower and damage in order to survive. It seriously cranks up the difficulty just by turning this off since monsters don't try to kill each other. But when infighting's on, yeah, that I can see is where the weapons can be OP.
TechnoDoomed1

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

To whoever still has problems loading up the new version:
1) Download D4DResources from GitHub as zip. Follow the link on the top of the first post, then select "clone or download" then "download ZIP".
2) Do the same for the D4D main file.
3) Open both zips (open - not extract - this is very important), you'll see a folder in each case. Copy all files from each folder to outside that folder, so that when you open the zip you see directly the files.
4) Drag and drop both to the gzdoom executable. :wink:

BUG REPORTS:
> Ammo drops don't fade out after pickup, the effect stays in place showing an empty square.
> Ledge grabbing is broken. Whenever you would climb a ledge, it propels you up to the ceiling instantly.

Also going to report them as instructed on GitHub.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I uploaded a new version last night and forgot to post that I disabled them. So don't worry. I'll re-enable again after a couple of new GZDoom builds are out.
Last edited by Major Cooke on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TechnoDoomed1

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

Was there any change to the mantling code? How come this weird, sudden change of behaviour?

EDIT: Voted for "something new" as well on the poll. Never been a fan of the static rifle, much too OP if properly upgraded, and too useless otherwise.
Last edited by TechnoDoomed1 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Yeah, that's also undergoing an overhaul currently. It's using a bunch of hacks and on the rare occasion can get the player climbing over monsters which renders them defenseless.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

I am fine with the changes to Static Rifle, as long as the current functionality is perserved as one of the firemodes.
For another, I may suggest a new weapon mod. Whatever its name, it would slow down enemies, proportionally the level of charge. It can use ammo, sure thing. Maybe it can also be named "Tachyon Star", as that would somewhat make sense...
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Don't count on it, I have big plans for this one. But chances are the original stays in there somewhere. I need something that lays a trap and blasts the poor sods to pieces when they get too close. Fucking hate closets. Unfortunately 'slowing' enemies is close to impossible when they can leap at you from a mile away.

Let's just say this may draw inspiration from both Hard Reset and Magic Carpet 2... To make it more unique it may even have more than two firemodes. Don't quite know yet.

I've pushed out yet another update with the option to toggle item borders. I also tested this with the latest GZDoom DRD build and I did not have lingering issues. If they still linger for you, just turn them off for right now and pray that a GZDoom update comes along where it starts working again, since I don't know what else to tell you at this point... I reported it and Graf closed it.

Hell, this might be a weapon that has multiple types of ammo, even.
snarkel

Post by snarkel »

I downloaded the ZIP files but its not letting me copy and paste the files outside of the folders so I cant get it running.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

You're not supposed to extract them. Also don't download from github itself. Use the links on the front page at the top.
Fallingferret

Post by Fallingferret »

But Cooke, those only link to github. :^)

Edit: it's perfect.
Last edited by Fallingferret on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Huh, thought I had put a link to them in the github readme. Oh well. Now they're on the very front of the page.

Note those aren't always updated unless I say otherwise. If you want absolute bleeding edge, you will have to teach yourself how to properly pack the raw github files into a .pk3.
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

Interesting:
Unknown player class "Doom4Player"

Using load order...

Code: Select all

.\base\dosbox -file %1 %2 %3 %4 D4DResources.pk3 D4D.pk3 d4dMusic.pk3 DUMP-3.pk3
exit
Dosbox is GZdoom 2.2.0
TechnoDoomed1

Post by TechnoDoomed1 »

This new version requires a dev-build version of GZdoom, since everything that was defined in Decorate has been translated to use the new ZScript language.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”