D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Fureyon

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.1 - New Poll p. 43

Post by Fureyon »

While the entire gameplay of D4D is balanced around it's own cast of monsters, so much so that the original crew gets forgotten at times, there is still that nostalgia factor about using the original monsters.

What if you kept the original models and just gave the monsters attacks that are similar to the D4 monsters?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Have the option to separate or mix them, everybody wins.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

So the same way AEons of Death does it, where you can enable/disable any mode of monsters. Alrighty. I think I will do that but I'll wait a bit more for more opinions.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

I initially voted "keep" for the classic monsters, but switched to other. I definitely support the toggle option like Æons of death does it. Seems like a win/win for sure. I like the new monsters, but I get bored quickly and switching it up easily with an option like that would be absolutely great.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

voted "Other", because I think that rather than removing or keeping the monsters, you should make them behave like their Doom 2016 counterparts.
Could be a nice mutator.
IDKrisis

Post by IDKrisis »

What do the Doomguy dolls do? When I pick one up, a doomguy counter appears which reads 3, but I have no idea what the point of this counter is!
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

It's a portable megasphere. When activated, you gain one indestructible hitpoint and take a lot less damage.

The counter is an indicator of how many times you can activate it. Upgrading the doom doll will allow you to run and jump twice as fast/high, and basically set off a mini-nuke in a large area around you.
IDKrisis

Post by IDKrisis »

Major Cooke wrote:It's a portable megasphere. When activated, you gain one indestructible hitpoint and take a lot less damage.

The counter is an indicator of how many times you can activate it. Upgrading the doom doll will allow you to run and jump twice as fast/high, and basically set off a mini-nuke in a large area around you.
Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the D4D keybinds and realised I hadn't set a key for "brofist". I was wondering what that control was supposed to do!
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I've fixed the credits/crate drops from the original doom monsters so you can enjoy upgrading your weapons now. So far it's just in the github version. The next alpha release will incorporate it soon.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Well... Since Doom Eternal revealed its stuff... I suppose I'll just have to reveal mine. Funny thing is, this was in the works before it was even shown in Doom Eternal's big reveal.

Last edited by Major Cooke on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
SiFi270

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 8.1 - Sneak Peak p. 44

Post by SiFi270 »

Since the weapons and monsters look like they'll be quite different, will there be a separate class for each game's arsenal, and maybe monsters sorted in such a way that a player can choose one game's or both, AEoD style?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Weapons: Yes! It appears that each weapon is different enough and there's going to be plenty of differentiation to the point where I could make it worth randomizing, easily. Plus, more fun for akimbo system so you could technically 'dual wield' with different ability-firing plasma rifles.

Monsters: Nope. The monsters in Doom Eternal pretty much had the look and behavior as they did in 2016 for the most part (cacodemons, imps, etc) so it's going to be a straight up merging of the two. Not enough to justify a new monster set for it, sorry. But the new enemies will come in and replace some of the more questionable versions we've had, like the arachnotron, pain elemental, and the new archvile will spawn as a chance to come alongside the summoner.

Looks are simply not enough to justify making a whole new mode for them. They need different behaviors too, and so far I'm not convinced there's enough changes. And soon, you can expect me to be getting rid of the current Pain Elemental (reverting back to regular Doom 2's sprites but with some changed behaviors to it.
el armadillo2

Post by el armadillo2 »

Valherran wrote:Have the option to separate or mix them, everybody wins.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Honestly, that Ballista rebuild of the Gauss Cannon kinda feels like it'd be perfect for a Heretic/Hexen compat mod. :D
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

el armadillo2 wrote:
Valherran wrote:Have the option to separate or mix them, everybody wins.
Does not apply for monsters when it comes from D4 and D5. I've explained why. Only for "original doom".

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”