[D4D Addon] Gibbable corpses, flexible monster types (v2)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Beed28

[D4D Addon] Gibbable corpses, flexible monster types (v2)

Post by Beed28 »

I'm going to admit it. I love D4D. I decided to make a small mod for it, which doesn't have any official title because I couldn't think of any. :P It's nothing earth-shattering (probably a good thing because otherwise the Earth would have been shattered to pieces and wiped all life out), so don't expect any brand new monsters or weapons like that.

Features
  • Gibbable Corpses: With certain explosive weapons, such as the Rocket Launcher, you can gib corpses and clean up the map of clutter potentially gain any Carrion tokens that you may have missed out on. Note that the Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, and all Classic monsters, who still leave corpses when gibbed, will not drop a second Carrion token if gibbed again.
  • Flexible Monster Types: In D4D alone, you can choose either D4D monsters or Classic monsters, but not both. Not anymore! Here, not only can you adjust which individual monster is of the D4D or Classic variation, but you can also set them to "Both" and one of the two variations will spawn randomly for each of that particular monster spawned. Want to play with the classic monsters but don't want the hitscanners? No problem, just set the Zombieman, Shotgun Guy, Chaingun Guy and Spider Mastermind to use their D4D variations instead!
  • Stealth Monsters: D4D alone didn't support stealth monsters. This addon adds support for them in (in both D4D and Classic flavours!).
  • Super Shotgun Availability in Ultimate Doom: If this option is enabled, then in Ultimate Doom, if you have a regular Shotgun, the Super Shotgun (or Vortex Rifle if the multiplayer weapons are enabled) has a chance to spawn in locations where the regular Shotguns are placed (note; Classic Shotgun Guys will not drop Super Shotguns).
Screenshot
Showing the Chaingun Guy and Hell Razor existing together, which isn't possible in standard D4D without the summon command.

Download
D4D_Beed28Modv2.pk3
(15.19 KiB) Downloaded 1422 times
Credits
DBThanatos, Major Cooke and Michaelis for their work on D4D. You guys rock!
Last edited by Beed28 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: [D4D Addon] Gibbable corpses, flexible monster types

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Cool! What mapset is the screenshot from?
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Nice work! The mapset appears to be Community Chest 4, but I could be mistaken! If I can get OBS working I'd love to capture this in real time for ya to see what's up with it!
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Everyone wondering what that map in the screenshot is, it's 1 Monster MAP13. This particular map prominently features the Chaingun Guy, which makes it easy to show off both the Classic and D4D variations in a screenshot.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Yet another thread for me to watch. Beed28, I suggest you join our Discord channel. Addon developers may see some 'special insight' into the future of D4D. Plus I need to brief you on howto prepare for the upcoming zscript version anyway.

Responses in red.
Beed28 wrote:I'm going to admit it. I love D4D. I decided to make a small mod for it, which doesn't have any official title because I couldn't think of any. :P It's nothing earth-shattering (probably a good thing because otherwise the Earth would have been shattered to pieces and wiped all life out), so don't expect any brand new monsters or weapons like that.

Features
  • Gibbable Corpses: With certain explosive weapons, such as the Rocket Launcher, you can gib corpses and clean up the map of clutter potentially gain any Carrion tokens that you may have missed out on. Note that the Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, and all Classic monsters, who still leave corpses when gibbed, will not drop a second Carrion token if gibbed again. If you're talking about classical monsters, bear in mind you devoid the archvile of its secondary purpose -- the ability to resurrect fallen enemies.
  • Flexible Monster Types: In D4D alone, you can choose either D4D monsters or Classic monsters, but not both. Not anymore! Here, not only can you adjust which individual monster is of the D4D or Classic variation, but you can also set them to "Both" and one of the two variations will spawn randomly for each of that particular monster spawned. Want to play with the classic monsters but don't want the hitscanners? No problem, just set the Zombieman, Shotgun Guy, Chaingun Guy and Spider Mastermind to use their D4D variations instead! Hmm. Might consider allowing each and every monster type to be switchable...
  • Stealth Monsters: D4D alone didn't support stealth monsters. This addon adds support for them in (in both D4D and Classic flavours!). Well, fuck me. I completely forgot about these. I'm going to change these so in the next version, they're officially in.
Credits
DBThanatos, Major Cooke and Michaelis for their work on D4D. You guys rock!
Thanks!

You know at this point its such a simple addon, I might outright absorb it into D4D as it does bring some unique and creative ideas into play here...

MAYBE. We'll see. I'll have to think on it.
doomguy214

download link not working please post fresh link

Post by doomguy214 »

download link not working please post fresh link
Beed28 wrote:(Beed28's entire post was quoted here. Removed it in the interest of brevity. -ww)
Beed28

Re: [D4D Addon] Gibbable corpses, flexible monster types (v2

Post by Beed28 »

doomguy214 wrote:download link not working please post fresh link
I've now changed the download link into an attachment on the OP.

Also, I took the time to add a new feature; the ability to obtain the Super Shotgun in Ultimate Doom!

Major Cooke wrote:Beed28, I suggest you join our Discord channel.
Cheers for the offer, but I tend to stay away from live chat rooms. I remember some terrible experiences from WoW's live chat channels, from a very long time ago. I am available to PM, however. Apologies.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I run and own it. There will be no shit happening and I'm the complete opposite -- PMs are a terrible way to keep in touch with me. :P
Stuka

Post by Stuka »

I like this addon, keep up the good work!
VICE

Post by VICE »

Beed28 wrote:I decided to make a small mod for it, which doesn't have any official title because I couldn't think of any. :P
BeedDown (pronounced like beat-down).

:mrgreen:

Anyways, just dropping by to give you some kudos on your Doom 1 SSG implementation. I did something like that too but your way with the file filter is more elegant.
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

Is it possible to have a new option for classic hitscanners to be projectile based? I feel like that would bring everything together nicely.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Actually, that just reminded me... I should definitely add in tracer effects to those... They won't change from hitscan though, because extremely fast projectiles that use hit detection can cause a tremendous amount of FPS strain.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Beed, if you are still on board with this, a portion of the mod has already been absorbed. Stealth monsters are now covered.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Nice work! :thumb:
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I'll see to it the rest make it in, in good time. Just need to finish up the laser overhaul first.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”