D4T (New v2.5 Trailer pg 47)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DBThanatos

Re: [WIP] D4T: Death Foretold (Doom4 mod for Android!)

Post by DBThanatos »

jckfrbn wrote:2 very quick questions,

1. Will there be some sort of scoring system like arcade mode in d4?

2. And will we see a rudimentary system for dealing with custom mobs from older wads? (If not for whats above for the chainsaw or executions?)
1. No. This mod is less about gimmicks and more about raw gameplay. Making a score system means using extra resources very well needed by mobile devices and their subpar processors.
2. Im not sure what you mean about that one.
Machine-Reaper wrote:Question,
That super smooth, fast FPS gameplay in the video, is that really how fast the game is or just editing?
That's a regular 60fps gameplay video. No editing tricks. If anything, vegas seems to blur a bit the image (if you pause the vid at any time, it you will see images of previous frames kinda still there) but that's not on purpose. But believe me, the game is fast. In the video is not sped up or anything.
Trump Stumper wrote:I think this subproject of D4D is pretty awesome.

I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this, but while D4D was pretty cool, as a proof of concept, Zion v8 was actually a little bit more fun to play with due to it seemingly being more oriented towards fast and furious combat.

I have to admit that there were some weapons in D4D that were almost complete showstoppers when they got autoselected. Having to take the time to hide Doomguy somewhere and select a different weapon in the middle of combat is not always a fun thing to have to do.
Dont mean to be too nitpicky, but this is NOT a subproject of D4D. This is a separate project that will move independently from D4D, at it's own pace with it's own features or lack of. Currently Im taking an indefinite break for anything D4D since Im honestly feeling displeased of where it's going.

Zion has a very curious balance indeed. I played it and the weapons and monsters feel very meaty. I loved it.

About the showstopper weapons in D4D. Not sure which ones you feel they were that way, but I can agree that more weapons != better (says the guy who made aeod); but for such a "refined" weapon experience, the amount of weapons in D4D was getting stupid. Hence why I removed some for this other project, where balance plays like I want it to.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm actually mostly impressed that you can play as well as you do on Doomtouch. I have it, and it's fun and everything, but - in game - I stumble around like a drunk while playing it. I've gotten a bit better with practice, but not that much better. :lol:
jckfrbn

Post by jckfrbn »

DBThanatos wrote:
jckfrbn wrote:
And will we see a rudimentary system for dealing with custom mobs from older wads? (If not for whats above for the chainsaw or executions?)
Im not sure what you mean about that one.
To explain in D4D custom monsters in older wads couldn't drop any items without being modified with the pinata code in death/ chainsaw pinata code.

By the looks of the trailer it seems the pinata system returns(which is awesome) but I was wondering if its been changed to handle monsters not custom coded into the mod?
(Like a system with the chainsaw so when ammo is used it drops the pinata based on amount used, instead of on monster death)
(Or sense executions being just a plain yellow overlay if it works with any monster using a frozen pain frame)
Trump Stumper

Post by Trump Stumper »

DBThanatos wrote:Dont mean to be too nitpicky, but this is NOT a subproject of D4D. This is a separate project that will move independently from D4D, at it's own pace with it's own features or lack of. Currently Im taking an indefinite break for anything D4D since Im honestly feeling displeased of where it's going.

Zion has a very curious balance indeed. I played it and the weapons and monsters feel very meaty. I loved it.

About the showstopper weapons in D4D. Not sure which ones you feel they were that way, but I can agree that more weapons != better (says the guy who made aeod); but for such a "refined" weapon experience, the amount of weapons in D4D was getting stupid. Hence why I removed some for this other project, where balance plays like I want it to.
Well, the one weapon I really didn't like picking up was the static rifle, because in singleplayer mode it prevented the mod from autoswitching to other weapons when you ran out of ammo. I think it was meant to be more of a multiplayer weapon, as it doesn't help much when you are being mobbed by zombies in some maps and you can't really move, except to jump over their heads.

And the infinite pistol is pretty cool, but other mods have it starting off with autofiring capability, albeit at a timed rate (hacking it to autofire in d4d causes it to become a machine pistol with a firing rate of 1000rd/sec, and obviously breaks the game, and it kinda doesn't make it "fun" when you have an unlimited ammo weapon that kills everything, including the concept of challenge).

On the original note, I think this mod might work a little better if the weapons were restricted to ones that vaguely resemble the functionality of Doom 2 weapons, or at least offer more potential for monster killing. Doom 4 is getting kinda weird because their official patches with weapons are starting to resemble the Quake weapon set (which was not a bad series of games by any means, when compared to what else was available at the time, but it wasn't Doom).

Again, these are all my personal opinions. You can take 'em or leave 'em. I appreciate the work done on D4D, and I hope that this project will at the minimum be just as good or better than that project.

I actually went to the trouble of hacking D4D to essentially make it a version that just gave me Doom 2 replacement weapons, because the original weapon formula kinda works pretty well. And yes, the original pistol with bullets from Doom 2 is crap*.

* Edited due to the possibility of my original phrasing ("sucks dick") being interpreted as a compliment.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Now I must get an android. This looks super fun, and I can't wait to give it a go (when I have some more free time)!
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

DBThanatos wrote: That's a regular 60fps gameplay video. No editing tricks. If anything, vegas seems to blur a bit the image (if you pause the vid at any time, it you will see images of previous frames kinda still there) but that's not on purpose. But believe me, the game is fast. In the video is not sped up or anything.
So does your mod do something to make it that much fast and smooth or is it vanilla settings? (Just incase I never ever seen Doom that much fast)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

EXPERTKILL5

Post by EXPERTKILL5 »

When is very soon
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

EXPERTKILL5 wrote:When is very soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5drjr9PmTMA
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Enjay wrote:I'm actually mostly impressed that you can play as well as you do on Doomtouch. I have it, and it's fun and everything, but - in game - I stumble around like a drunk while playing it. I've gotten a bit better with practice, but not that much better. :lol:
Haha. Yeah, I've spent some time playing it like that, and I still feel very clumsy. Whenever I get to a pc and play with mouse+keyboard I feel like a pro gamer or something :P
jckfrbn wrote: To explain in D4D custom monsters in older wads couldn't drop any items without being modified with the pinata code in death/ chainsaw pinata code.

By the looks of the trailer it seems the pinata system returns(which is awesome) but I was wondering if its been changed to handle monsters not custom coded into the mod?
(Like a system with the chainsaw so when ammo is used it drops the pinata based on amount used, instead of on monster death)
(Or sense executions being just a plain yellow overlay if it works with any monster using a frozen pain frame)
That's a very interesting idea! Will look into adding something like that.

Replies in red
Trump Stumper wrote: Well, the one weapon I really didn't like picking up was the static rifle, because in singleplayer mode it prevented the mod from autoswitching to other weapons when you ran out of ammo. I think it was meant to be more of a multiplayer weapon, as it doesn't help much when you are being mobbed by zombies in some maps and you can't really move, except to jump over their heads.

In here, the static rifle is a different weapon than in D4D. Here it does have ammo, and you can fire it even without charge, so as soon as you switch to this one, you can fire it, and if there's no ammo, it'll select another weapon. The role of the static rifle has changed here :P

And the infinite pistol is pretty cool, but other mods have it starting off with autofiring capability, albeit at a timed rate (hacking it to autofire in d4d causes it to become a machine pistol with a firing rate of 1000rd/sec, and obviously breaks the game, and it kinda doesn't make it "fun" when you have an unlimited ammo weapon that kills everything, including the concept of challenge).

Well, if anyone "hacks it" that's on them. Sadly i cant do much to prevent that short of changing the way the pistol works. There were changes, but I dont want to reveal them just yet.

On the original note, I think this mod might work a little better if the weapons were restricted to ones that vaguely resemble the functionality of Doom 2 weapons, or at least offer more potential for monster killing. Doom 4 is getting kinda weird because their official patches with weapons are starting to resemble the Quake weapon set (which was not a bad series of games by any means, when compared to what else was available at the time, but it wasn't Doom).

I see your point, and i removed 2 weapons from the roster. That still means there's like 11 weapons around, and some will still have overlapping roles, but I think the way I did it here works rather nice. However, I will not make it to only have their "doom 2 equivalent", the other weapons will still exist and spawn around.

Again, these are all my personal opinions. You can take 'em or leave 'em. I appreciate the work done on D4D, and I hope that this project will at the minimum be just as good or better than that project.

It's arguable if it's "as good", but it's definitely something different. I think some people will like it, but I wont be surprised if many prefer D4D over this one :P

I actually went to the trouble of hacking D4D to essentially make it a version that just gave me Doom 2 replacement weapons, because the original weapon formula kinda works pretty well. And yes, the original pistol with bullets from Doom 2 is crap*.

* Edited due to the possibility of my original phrasing ("sucks dick") being interpreted as a compliment.
Devianteist wrote:Now I must get an android. This looks super fun, and I can't wait to give it a go (when I have some more free time)!
I love it to play one map while Im waiting for someone or whatever :P I think the developer was going to do an iOS version of D-Touch, but he seems to have banished from earth or something. Last update was in january 2016 I think.
DBThanatos

Re: [WIP] D4T: Death Foretold (Beta testers needed!)

Post by DBThanatos »

BETA TESTERS NEEDED

We're looking for some people willing to do a bunch of zandronum MP testing with us. Particularly if you're from somewhere in america (the continent) (because timezones and ping).

You need to be able to host the game.

Let us know :D
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

I'm South American, though... My worst ping long ago to North America was 250ms
Garrett_42

Post by Garrett_42 »

DBThanatos wrote:BETA TESTERS NEEDED

We're looking for some people willing to do a bunch of zandronum MP testing with us. Particularly if you're from somewhere in america (the continent) (because timezones and ping).

You need to be able to host the game.

Let us know :D
I apologize for my English. I would like to know if it is possible to obtain a test build for D-Touch? Again, sorry, this is my first post here. Happy new year to all!
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Give me some dates for EST and I'll see what I can do. Haven't played multiplayer in a while but I'm all set up.
EXPERTKILL5

Post by EXPERTKILL5 »

I wanna test the beta in D-touch

Return to “Gameplay Mods”