D4T (New v2.5 Trailer pg 47)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: D4T v2.0 (Released! 19-05-17)

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Tried it on my end, but I do not get the crash. Odd. :?

What port do you use?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Tried it on my end, but I do not get the crash. Odd. :?

What port do you use?
GZDoom.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Hey people. Sorry for not replying earlier. I was taking a break after the release, because i needed a break :P
GRUARRR wrote:Thank you for making it! I get goosebumps when I play this mod, it´s fucking awesome, brutal and very fast paced. I love it!!!

I like a lot the sounds, weapons and new enemies.

I´ve found a little bug: If you do a glory kill below a door, you can get trapped sometimes if the door closes. You don´t die, but get trapped and you have to do "noclip" in order to get out of there.

I´ve made a vídeo playing it with a new intro (It has nothing to do with the bug, it´s only me playing the mod).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSElxn8DBQ
About that bug, unfortunately, I havent found a way yet to prevent it. Maybe spawning a dummy actor that blocks the door... dunno. Will see about it.

And nice video. I must admit i was amused by the Alien alarm sound at the beginning :D
blackfish wrote:Also I haven't quite dug into it yet, but how flexibile is it to map for this? Do all of the weapons have unique spawn ids? Can I spawn a weapon addon as a pickup?
Yes, we made this with the idea of mappers being able to create their own progressions. All weapons and items have DoomEdNums

XxRobinxX456 wrote:D touch crashes on deathmatch when ever i touch a demon rune,also where do i find gore nest
Im not too surprised it crashes in dtouch. Dtouch relies in the RAM of the device; we've gotten reports of crashes there when certain something happens (bfg killing many monsters, big things like that) and it's related to memory issues. Deathmatch was made with pc in mind, specifically zandronum, as it's MUCH more heavy than single player regarding all the stuff the processor has to take care of. So, deathmatch is not adviced in dtouch.

Gore nests will appear sometimes along skull keys, only if extra space permits. So, if you're playing mapsets where there are no skull keys or they're in small places, these things will not spawn.

NullWire wrote:Anyway with certain weapons, when you press ¨G¨ to throw a grenade you can spam them as many times you want without any cooling down to use it again lol
DoomKrakken wrote:You mean the grenade toss key? I haven't gotten that issue.

Which weapons? What grenade?
Quoted DoomKrakken for truth. I know this was cleared up a few posts later, but really, these type of reports are useless for us.
DoomKrakken wrote:What grenade shares a keybind with a weapon? WHY would such an item be bound to a weapon's keybind?
Indeed! haha. But it's a serious enough bug that we need to figure out a) why it happens and b) how to fix it. So in a way, is good someone has such weird config :P

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I have to say, I am really not a big fan of the Prowler. I already do not think the monster is a worthy addition to the mod, but I find its appearance is rather underwhelming. I mean, come on: a plain black monster with red eyes? Why not use Realm667's D3 Wraith instead? Unlike the Shadow, it is actually designed to be a melee enemy.
Like DoomKrakken said (you're on fire DK!), this has to do with aesthetics. We dont have custom sprites for the prowler, so I had to use something that somewhat resembled it. Wraith doesnt have hands, and the primary attack method of the prowler is the hands. The monster is not meant to be this huge game changer, that's why it behaves similar to a demon and is an uncommon replacement of an spectre. It wasnt added for a "WOW factor", it was added to also bring a way to get the already-existing-in-DM prowler rune into SP.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I am a bit surprised D4T has kept the Pain Elemental's vanilla appearance. Was it because DBThanatos did not like the sprites used in D4D?
I didnt love the PE sprite i used in D4D, but i used it because it was meant to look different than vanilla, to emphazise that this wasnt the vanilla version spawning vanilla lost souls. That sprite carried over to D4T when I remade the project, but during my playthroughs, I noticed it made no more sense to still have it around. No offense meant to Eriance, but it just didnt do it for me.
MrRumbleRoses wrote:is there by chance, a nice little png image of the new D4T logo? i wanna update a thumbnail of mine for a let's play series i'm doing
There's no such thing!
Spoiler:
whatup876 wrote:Do you have any plans on recreating the arcade mode from Doom 4?
Not really, since there's no way to make a leaderboard that is cheatproof. Also, in general, it doesnt seem to be too interesting to me.

Valherran wrote:A couple things so far:

1. Prowler rune mode has collision issues with leap attack that cause it to float to one side til it hits a wall. Hitting corners or hitting a monster that is charging will cause it to do this.

2. Pain Elemental rune mode alt-fire causes the game to crash to menu.
1. Yes, this is known. This guy is such an oddball. Im not sure it can be fixed, but I'll sure try.
2. I have not experienced this. I tried gzdoom 1.9.1 and 3.0.1 and I get no crashes. Something tells me it could be related to memory issues, although this has never happened to me in gzdoom in the pc. Only in dtouch
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

well. i managed to get something of an updated version for what i am doing with the D4T mod
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Oh, nice! I have still to try that mapset :D
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

DBThanatos wrote:Oh, nice! I have still to try that mapset :D
i will say that it's a perfect thing to play with the mod, specially since it's a 1 long continuous episodic series to play. and if ya know the secrets of the PSX version of Doom. you can be able to unlock all the bonuses that D4T has
Voros

Post by Voros »

DBThanatos wrote: Im not too surprised it crashes in dtouch. Dtouch relies in the RAM of the device; we've gotten reports of crashes there when certain something happens (bfg killing many monsters, big things like that) and it's related to memory issues.
Have you confirmed this by any chance? There are other mods that don't seem to crash on D-Touch (but plays poor fps). Brutal Doom's never crashed on D-Touch in my experience, as an example.

For a D-Touch specific version, I would like to see the removal of the monster sprites and no dynamic lights (I hear they affect performance). Don't want to do this myself though, it's time consuming.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

2. I have not experienced this. I tried gzdoom 1.9.1 and 3.0.1 and I get no crashes. Something tells me it could be related to memory issues, although this has never happened to me in gzdoom in the pc. Only in dtouch
This is what I get when it happens:

VM execution aborted: Tried to read from address zero.
Called from PlayerPawn. CheckWeaponChange at GZDoom. PK3:zscript/shared/player.TXT, line 374
Called from PlayerPawn. TickPSprites at GZDoom. PK3:zscript/shared/player.TXT, line 428
Called from PlayerPawn. PlayerThink at GZDoom. PK3:zscript/shared/player.TXT, line 1247

I had to write that down by hand because trying to take screenshots of the console just gives you a black screen with a 2.0 on the bottom right like it SS the first frame of the menu intro. Very irritating.
alexdoomguy
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by alexdoomguy »

MrRumbleRoses wrote:well. i managed to get something of an updated version for what i am doing with the D4T mod
Nice art! :D
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

1 thing i will mention about using the D4T mod with the PSX Doom TC, it does have the Nightmare Specture Pinkie's even when you use the D4T mod. so i have an idea/suggestion for a update, patch or even a little addon for D4T. make some Nightmare D4T Specture Pinkie's to fit the PSX Doom mod
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

So I finally had a chance to sit down and play this through at least a third of an Oblige megawad and I have to say it's been an enjoyable experience so far. If I had to sum it up, I'd say D4T is D4D: Gotta Go Fast(er) Edition. It's definitely focused on instantaneous gameplay versus faffing around with menus (which I don't mind at all, which I'll get to in a moment). Everything's been designed around fast-paced gameplay and I like that.

However, there are one, maybe two niggles I have with the mod. The first is how the grenade system works. I don't know if it was a deliberate design choice or a limitation but having different grenades drop from enemies and only being able to carry one grenade can lead to frustration. I generally like to stick with the siphon grenade so it gets really annoying when I'm in the middle of a frantic firefight, only to realize at the end of said firefight that one of the enemies I killed dropped a personal teleporter and that I picked it up by accident, in turn losing my siphon grenade.

The second is the upgrade system. I'll admit that D4D spoiled this for me with regards to earning credits and buying the upgrades/mods that I want. It's something I'll get used to in time though as, again, I know the purpose of this mod.

I am happy you can cancel the demon transformation too at least in the event I accidentally pick up a demon rune. Nice touch there. :>

All in all, D4T is another keeper mod for me along with D4D and Argent as, like the other Doom 2016 themed mods I mentioned, it has its own focus, goals, and priorities and does them well despite whatever complaints I have (which they're all minor, to be honest).

Kudos on DBT et. al. for the hard work put into this. c:
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

However, there are one, maybe two niggles I have with the mod. The first is how the grenade system works. I don't know if it was a deliberate design choice or a limitation but having different grenades drop from enemies and only being able to carry one grenade can lead to frustration. I generally like to stick with the siphon grenade so it gets really annoying when I'm in the middle of a frantic firefight, only to realize at the end of said firefight that one of the enemies I killed dropped a personal teleporter and that I picked it up by accident, in turn losing my siphon grenade.
Yeah, this is one feature that also annoys me greatly. I find the grenade type that I want and sometimes I will lose it to a another pickup on the floor without realizing it.

A simple solution to this would be to bind a new key (do not mix it with the use key) to exchange a grenade mod on the floor.

Swap Grenade - Alt key.
SoundOfDarkness

Post by SoundOfDarkness »

Why don't you guys use the "lock grenade slot" feature?
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

SoundOfDarkness wrote:Why don't you guys use the "lock grenade slot" feature?
Because I didn't even know about it until you mentioned it. After you mentioned it I went back a few pages to see if anything was mentioned, then I looked at the first post and finally found it.

Not very intuitive but oh well. It is what it is. I found it at least.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

DBThanatos wrote:Like DoomKrakken said (you're on fire DK!), this has to do with aesthetics. We dont have custom sprites for the prowler, so I had to use something that somewhat resembled it. Wraith doesnt have hands, and the primary attack method of the prowler is the hands. The monster is not meant to be this huge game changer, that's why it behaves similar to a demon and is an uncommon replacement of an spectre. It wasnt added for a "WOW factor", it was added to also bring a way to get the already-existing-in-DM prowler rune into SP.
So it is basically a placeholder until a better alternative comes along?

Then what about the Imp spritesheet used by Brutal Doom? Unlike the Shadow, it features proper pouncing animations.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”