D4T (New v2.5 Trailer pg 47)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DBThanatos

Re: D4T v2.0 (Released! 19-05-17)

Post by DBThanatos »

Voros wrote:
DBThanatos wrote: Im not too surprised it crashes in dtouch. Dtouch relies in the RAM of the device; we've gotten reports of crashes there when certain something happens (bfg killing many monsters, big things like that) and it's related to memory issues.
Have you confirmed this by any chance? There are other mods that don't seem to crash on D-Touch (but plays poor fps). Brutal Doom's never crashed on D-Touch in my experience, as an example.

For a D-Touch specific version, I would like to see the removal of the monster sprites and no dynamic lights (I hear they affect performance). Don't want to do this myself though, it's time consuming.
I have no way to confirm this to a 100% percent, because I dont own several phones of different specs to test this. But so far, all the reports i've gotten is from people with phones with 1gb of ram. My phone is in no way stellar in the processor, but it has 2 gb of ram, and it only crashed on me in when i was drawing a lot of stuff in the HUD via ACS; which I later fixed in the development of v2.

Regarding removing monster sprites and dynamic lights. Sprites? i suppose you mean to have the classic monsters look? if so, you'll have to do this on your own. That's not at all planned or even considered for D4T. And dynamic lights, you can just turn them off in the options menu.
Valherran wrote:
2. I have not experienced this. I tried gzdoom 1.9.1 and 3.0.1 and I get no crashes. Something tells me it could be related to memory issues, although this has never happened to me in gzdoom in the pc. Only in dtouch
This is what I get when it happens:

VM execution aborted: Tried to read from address zero.
Called from PlayerPawn. CheckWeaponChange at GZDoom. PK3:zscript/shared/player.TXT, line 374
Called from PlayerPawn. TickPSprites at GZDoom. PK3:zscript/shared/player.TXT, line 428
Called from PlayerPawn. PlayerThink at GZDoom. PK3:zscript/shared/player.TXT, line 1247

I had to write that down by hand because trying to take screenshots of the console just gives you a black screen with a 2.0 on the bottom right like it SS the first frame of the menu intro. Very irritating.
What gzdoom version is this?

Nems wrote:So I finally had a chance to sit down and play this through at least a third of an Oblige megawad and I have to say it's been an enjoyable experience so far. If I had to sum it up, I'd say D4T is D4D: Gotta Go Fast(er) Edition. It's definitely focused on instantaneous gameplay versus faffing around with menus (which I don't mind at all, which I'll get to in a moment). Everything's been designed around fast-paced gameplay and I like that.

However, there are one, maybe two niggles I have with the mod. The first is how the grenade system works. I don't know if it was a deliberate design choice or a limitation but having different grenades drop from enemies and only being able to carry one grenade can lead to frustration. I generally like to stick with the siphon grenade so it gets really annoying when I'm in the middle of a frantic firefight, only to realize at the end of said firefight that one of the enemies I killed dropped a personal teleporter and that I picked it up by accident, in turn losing my siphon grenade.

The second is the upgrade system. I'll admit that D4D spoiled this for me with regards to earning credits and buying the upgrades/mods that I want. It's something I'll get used to in time though as, again, I know the purpose of this mod.

I am happy you can cancel the demon transformation too at least in the event I accidentally pick up a demon rune. Nice touch there. :>

All in all, D4T is another keeper mod for me along with D4D and Argent as, like the other Doom 2016 themed mods I mentioned, it has its own focus, goals, and priorities and does them well despite whatever complaints I have (which they're all minor, to be honest).

Kudos on DBT et. al. for the hard work put into this. c:
For grenades, this is a deliberate design choice. In D4D I hated having to cycle through 3 grenades to find the one i wanted, and that lead me to almost never use them. In D4T i went for a Castlevania approach, where you can carry only one, pick the one you prefer or that you think will come useful in the fights to come; cycling through all 6 or however many there are, was gonna be only worse. The only thing you need to worry about, is a) to scramble through the corpses and find the grenade you want, b) make sure you dont replace it by picking another, which was addressed by adding the grenade lock system. I know it's a bold decision to just have one grenade, but it's a design decision that allowed the game to still be fast without having to "stop here, cycle through grenades, find the one you want, move on", and because i didnt want to have even more keys needed when playing this with a controller or touchscreen. Besides, it also add this micro sense of strategy where "what do i want, a frag grenade that can blow up tons of small monsters, a tesla rocket that can cut through long lines of monsters, syphon to keep myself alive at all times, teleport to have extra mobility, etc" instead of having everything at your disposal at all times.

Regarding upgrade system; the main reason i removed it, was because i noticed buying patterns. "Everyone" (generalization) went to buy the micro missiles, but not the scope. Everyone went for the turret, but not the rotator. For the SSG upgrades ASAP, for the X and for the Y. I noticed this in myself. If had credits to buy a tactical scope, i'd rather wait until i had money to buy something bigger and badder. It prioritized what to buy based on perceived or factual power of the upgrades. And that's like ignoring a huge part of the upgrades there are. I'd only get the "others" to have bought everything by the end, but no intentions to use them, despite them being useful (only useful for a different thing). Adding the drop system made it so that a) you're not incredibly OP with upgrades in a couple levels (get a couple completionist in d4d and you can afford a freaking turret!), and you learn to appreciate all the upgrades there are. They are rare precisely so that by the time you get an upgrade you go "ahh shit, it's a scope" but you'll want to use it because that's what you have around and it's better than the regular primary. You'll give them a chance rather than just ignore because you had the option to buy a "better upgrade"-

Thanks a lot for the feedback though; and you nailed it, I wanted this mod to be different than the others in it's goals and features, so that each one remain unique and fit the style player wants. :D
Nems wrote:
SoundOfDarkness wrote:Why don't you guys use the "lock grenade slot" feature?
Because I didn't even know about it until you mentioned it. After you mentioned it I went back a few pages to see if anything was mentioned, then I looked at the first post and finally found it.

Not very intuitive but oh well. It is what it is. I found it at least.
LOL. It's in the documentation. It's even highlighted in the index along with other new stuff.

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
DBThanatos wrote:Like DoomKrakken said (you're on fire DK!), this has to do with aesthetics. We dont have custom sprites for the prowler, so I had to use something that somewhat resembled it. Wraith doesnt have hands, and the primary attack method of the prowler is the hands. The monster is not meant to be this huge game changer, that's why it behaves similar to a demon and is an uncommon replacement of an spectre. It wasnt added for a "WOW factor", it was added to also bring a way to get the already-existing-in-DM prowler rune into SP.
So it is basically a placeholder until a better alternative comes along?

Then what about the Imp spritesheet used by Brutal Doom? Unlike the Shadow, it features proper pouncing animations.
Yeah, you could say it's a place holder; but definitely if something better comes along, it'll be used.

And imp from BD? it'd have the same colors as regular imp, wouldnt it? that'd mean having to carefully recolor everything, which im not great at :P but the pouncing animations sure sound tempting
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Does the Imp currently have its own rune? If not, then maybe you could use that opportunity to combine the Imp and the Prowler into a single monster: the resulting "Prowling Imp" would have the appearance of the vanilla Imp, the Prowler's pouncing attack and the ability to drop the Prowler rune. After all, Doom 2016 Imp is portrayed as quite agile, something that is absent from either your mod or D4D.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

That sounds feasible, but I will honestly have issues with
a) prowler 1st person has greyish hands while imp that would drop the rune is brown
b) imp monster and prowler player would play different sounds
c) while every demon rune is a demon on steroids, making an imp drop them, that'd be too much regarding power.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

DBThanatos wrote:What gzdoom version is this?
Welcome to devbuilds once more. :P
Valherran wrote:
2. I have not experienced this. I tried gzdoom 1.9.1 and 3.0.1 and I get no crashes. Something tells me it could be related to memory issues, although this has never happened to me in gzdoom in the pc. Only in dtouch
This is what I get when it happens:

VM execution aborted: Tried to read from address zero.
Called from PlayerPawn. CheckWeaponChange at GZDoom. PK3:zscript/shared/player.TXT, line 374
Called from PlayerPawn. TickPSprites at GZDoom. PK3:zscript/shared/player.TXT, line 428
Called from PlayerPawn. PlayerThink at GZDoom. PK3:zscript/shared/player.TXT, line 1247

I had to write that down by hand because trying to take screenshots of the console just gives you a black screen with a 2.0 on the bottom right like it SS the first frame of the menu intro. Very irritating.
Ah yes, the good ol' null pointer bug. Update your GZDoom to the latest devbuild. Should be fixed there. Or use the one designated by DBT.

To explain and confuse the ever living fucksickles out of DBT, Graf exported a bunch of player functions to D4D and there was a huge bug involved so when morphing sometimes, you'd get that abort.

If it still happens though, that means the latest devbuild doesn't have the fix so Blzut may need notifying if that's the case.
JoexxZombie

Post by JoexxZombie »

So far im really liking the new sprites for enemies and I love the press and hold new grenade system. I can pick the grenade id like to keep and not worry about losing it in the middle of battle...sweet. I also get crashes on d-touch which I'm sure is due to low ram.....which I will be fixing by of course getting a newer device. The crashes are pretty far apart on my end. I kinda gotta avoid demon runes for now. Still loving this mod good job dbt.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Thanks Major Cooke. @Valherran, thats why i dont like devbuilds. Just use a stable version and you'll be golden.

@JoexxZombie: yeah, that was the whole idea behind the grenade lock. I know michaelis is always looking to get, and to not lose a certain grenade, and in coop, losing them was common due to no saving. Thats why we added this system :P
Phobos867

Post by Phobos867 »

Hey! This version is very, very cool!

Sorry for being absent these days. I left the forum due to health problems and since D4D was changed to zscript, I kinda lost my interest to update my add-on (for now). Btw, thanks for keeping this one compatible with older versions of GZDoom (my pc have some problems with 2.0 or higher).

I'm really loving this so far, it's certainly a thing for me and the run-and-gun focus is very exciting! Gameplay-wise everything looks fun and balanced. I would love to make some color tweaks on my sprites to fit them a lil better with the new, darker artwork.

However, I would like to give some nitpicks (If I may):

1. The Unwilling sprite reeeally bothers me. I mean, it's very cool, but at the same time too different from the other zombies IMO. Also, it looks more like an imp than a regular fodder. Maybe something closer to other "former humans" could work better?

2. I don't know if it's the same scale used on my previous add-on (if so, I apologize in advance), but I think the Pinky size is getting TOO big, mainly compared with other monsters. To be honest, I changed the scale to 1.15 and it seemed a lot better.

Anyway, sorry for my english. I'm glad to have been helpful with this somehow! :trippy:
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

1) The Unwilling sprite appears to be the closest thing the Doom Community has to Unwilling sprites at the moment. If you see the Unwilling in-game (I assume you've played DOOM, as you've made some of the awesome monster sprites we see here), you can see that they really are very, very different from the other zombies. The differences between the Unwilling/other zombies of D4T and the Unwilling/other zombies of DOOM are just about the same. If anything, maybe they could be edited to look a little more... crispy... like they do in DOOM.

2) Those pinkies look like they're the perfect size. They're HUGE, compared to many of the smaller monsters. :D
ShinyCrobat

Post by ShinyCrobat »

Small thing I noticed while playing: When you get the Pinky demon rune, the game says the attacks are "Bite" and "Ram". This update changed the "Bite" into scratch attacks, but didn't change the text from "Bite".
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

As someone who's trying to create his own blood effects currently, how did you make the truly excellent blood puff sprites in this mod?
Phobos867

Post by Phobos867 »

DoomKrakken wrote:1) The Unwilling sprite appears to be the closest thing the Doom Community has to Unwilling sprites at the moment.
Yes, at the moment. :3:
DoomKrakken wrote:2) Those pinkies look like they're the perfect size. They're HUGE, compared to many of the smaller monsters. :D
Oh, no doubt, I made them to be larger than the classic Demon, but now they are bigger than Cacodemons or Revenants! Give it a try on 1.15, they are still huge, but more proportional I believe.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Phobos867 wrote:
DoomKrakken wrote:1) The Unwilling sprite appears to be the closest thing the Doom Community has to Unwilling sprites at the moment.
Yes, at the moment. :3:
DoomKrakken wrote:2) Those pinkies look like they're the perfect size. They're HUGE, compared to many of the smaller monsters. :D
Oh, no doubt, I made them to be larger than the classic Demon, but now they are bigger than Cacodemons or Revenants! Give it a try on 1.15, they are still huge, but more proportional I believe.
Yes, they are HUGE in D4T, because they are more resiliant than regular Pinkies. In D4 they're huge freight trains; in D4T i could not make them as crazy with attacks and frontal protection as in D4 because in doom 2, pinkies are common, while in D4 they're rare. Still, I wanted them to be scary one way or another, and the increased health and visual size sure help with that feeling. I really cant buff pinky much more without starting to mess balance big time; so yeah, i went with the visual factor. Huge pinkies are definitely on purpose.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

@Valherran, thats why i dont like devbuilds. Just use a stable version and you'll be golden.
I see. I kind of assumed I would need one since damn near every MOD around here has been demanding it lately, especially D4D. If the latest dev build don't fix it, then I will use a stable release version.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Hahaha. I hear you.

But this thing is compatible with gzdoom starting in 1.8.6, far from devbuilds :P
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Valherran wrote:
@Valherran, thats why i dont like devbuilds. Just use a stable version and you'll be golden.
I see. I kind of assumed I would need one since damn near every MOD around here has been demanding it lately, especially D4D. If the latest dev build don't fix it, then I will use a stable release version.
Only because Graf keeps exporting huge chunks of ZScript at a time for us to play with. When it comes to D4T and maintaining compatibility with the D-Touch, he has no choice but act like an old fart and stick with the simpler mechanics. That's something I could never do.

Also I never play games on mobile devices so it would've been useless for him to add me to the development anyway. Now, this is guessing and conjecture, but I think the final straw was when he was on his little hiatus from 2.0.3 while working on D4T v1.

Pretend DBT lives on a broad ranch and he's a natural farmer.
Pretend I'm the neighborhood dumbass that drives vehicles through fences and brick walls carelessly going "YAAAAAAAAAAY" with the funniest, dumbest smile I can muster.
Pretend D4D 2.0.3 is a slowly deteriorating but otherwise good cow that produces excellent milk every time DBT comes 'round and milks it. One day, DBT's off pulling porcupine needles out his ass from that thing called real life.
I come flying around on my ZHoersifier combine tractor (and destroying half of his property fence -- the combine treated it like spaghetti!), that cow got eaten assplosively and poo'd out as a big strong bucking bronco of a stallion somehow.

Now what the FUCK is DBT going to do with a horse? Well, he's going to ride it to death! No foretelling when he'll stop. Probably whenever it can't fart rockets and argent energy out of its ass anymore.

After that day, walls of titanium laced with the strongest alloys aint something a combine, semi, or train can wreck through if thick enough. The wreckages are still there, littered around his house parameter. Some of them are on fire.

:P

Return to “Gameplay Mods”