My Brutal Doom v20c unofficial patch

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

My Brutal Doom v20c unofficial patch

Post by drfrag »

I've released an unofficial patch for Brutal Doom v20b on moddb, i'm testing it with gzdoom-g2.3pre-888-g56f6772 and for now it runs pretty well.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... cial-patch

Moved to: Brutal Doom v20 Legacy Edition (standalone).

This is an unofficial bugfix release to make Brutal Doom run on newer GZDoom and Zandronum versions and fix several other bugs. There are some minor tweaks as well but it's 99% faithful to original Brutal Doom. Of course Brutal Doom is made and copyrighted by Sargeant Mark IV and this patch requires loading Brutal Doom v20b first. Remember that old savegames are not compatible.

List of changes:
05/08/2018 update:
- Fixed wrong plasma death frames shown with wads resetting player's inventory after each level.
- Removed extra gzdoom options menu required for compatibility with GZDoom 3.2.x.

04/26/2018 update:
- Removed evil marines completely, on levels with many nazis (thousands) the engine could slow down and even crash.
- Reduced number of water particles even more.

12/31/2017 update:
- Fixed player becoming non solid after picking up the plasma rifle in last update.

12/09/2017 update:
- Fixed plasma rifle not staying in multiplayer plus sometimes not dissapearing after being picked up.
- Reduced bullet amount for rifle ammo boxes.
- Changed pistol sprites to those from BD v21 and added unloading and one in the chamber for it.
- Made MP40 deselection faster.
- Fixed: if you were killed while changing weapons after resurrecting you could not select any weapon.
- Now you can blow Hell Knights heads off with the minigun.

12/02/2017 update:
- Fixed missing brutal doom options menu in GZDoom 3.2.
- Fixed rocket launcher sprite 'jumping' while running and pressing the reload key.
- Fixed revenants were invulnerable before performing their smashing fatality.
- Fixed another infinite loop (game hung on deep water sectors again).
- Fixed flying trees due to bad mass amount.
- Fixed commandos not dropping miniguns when killed by explosions.
- Increased rocket splash damage radius.

09/03/2017 update:
- Fixed game hung on deep water sectors. (PB 2.03 is also affected).
- Fixed too long melee range for Hell Knights.
- Decreased particles for the rest of liquid splashes as well to increase performance.

03/24/2017 update:
- Removed easy marines (more nazis, savegames not compatible).
- Added missing sound for the supersecret weapon.

Initial release:
- Now loads with GZDoom 2.2 and above and future Zandronum versions. (*)
- Nazis are back for most maps, evil marines mostly removed. This takes into account the number of original Wolf3D soldiers in every level. However removed specific wad support.
- Now you can actually get the Hitler's Buzzsaw and the MP40 is back. Added another secret weapon, a strange nazi artifact (taken from my Heresy mod).
- Fixed secondary BFG attack dealing no damage.
- Free pump action is back for the shotgun, now has higher priority than the SSG.
- Raised damage slightly for the SSG.
- Pistol now works and has autofire. (you start with both the rifle and the pistol).
- Removed jumping for barons and knights.
- Fixed throwable barrels.
- Agonizing demons no longer stay frozen for a while.
- Fixed wrong palette for lava splashes.
- Fixed unusable clip ammo still being picked up.
- Moved MP40 and MG40 to slot 8, hellish missile launcher to slot 9 and added something to slot 0.
- Fixed imp shields dissapearing after being thrown.
- Decreased number of particles for water splashes (caused massive slowdowns).
- Removed one in the chamber for the MP40.

(*) Tested with GZDoom 2.4.0 and 3.3.2, QZDoom 1.3.0.1. ZDoom32 and ZDoom LE are recommended for old hardware.
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/releases

Thanks to Alexey Lysiuk (_mental_) for his help.
Have fun! Original Brutal Doom still rulez.
And don't forget to try my Romero's Heresy II mod for Heretic. :)
http://www.moddb.com/mods/romeros-heresy-ii
Last edited by drfrag on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Skrell

Re: My Brutal Doom v20c unofficial patch

Post by Skrell »

It seems like some of these "patches" actually change the functionality of the game(hence moving into the "MOD" territory) ? Am I mistaken?
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

A patch is not a modification, rather a quick-fix or a cap to potential holes in the code: hence the word patch. A MOD on the other hand... is an overhaul of all weapons, items, monsters, environments and even to sound effects. This patch only switches a few things around but doesnt add too many new assets to an already asset-heavy modification. Patches actually help keep the game as bug-free as possible - this may stack well with other maps that have their own DECORATE and scripts lying about in the wad.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Yes in my opinion these are minor modifications. I increased damage a little for the SSG but it's back to v19 levels. By the way the last change i made was removing the one in the chamber for the MP40.

Suggestions are welcome. There's a minor problem i don't know how to fix, i think it's been always present in BD, while you're running if you keep pressing the reload key repeatedly the rocket launcher starts to jump around, i mean the position of the weapon graphic is updated abruptly. I don't know why it happens, it's not the a_weaponready nor the a_refire function.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Thank you for your hard work..I just wanted to make sure I understood the goal of this patch. :)
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Well, it was not really that hard, this has taken only a few days for now. Anyway i'm pretty happy with the result and the SVN GZDoom version i've mentioned is running fine. The reduction of water splash particles really helps, for instance on my computer Heretic E3M2 froze for half a minute.
I was thinking about adding a nazi player class with some bizarre weapons just for DM fun but i don't feel like editing the graphics, may be some sprites from Brutal Wolfenstein without the sleeves would be useful.

I still don't know how to fix the jumping rocket launcher sprites, everytime you press the reload key the weapon bobbing is interrupted and the weapon is reset to its initial position and then the bobbing continues where it was left. I don't know why this happens, may be an engine bug? Any help would be appreciated.
ZioMcCall

Post by ZioMcCall »

Thanks for removing evil marines.The're was unbalanced for a lot of custom maps.
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

I haven't been playing with these major overhauls yet because I assume it will be really weird to have weapons and enemies on maps replaced by such a random list. You could have a bunch of really powerful enemies in small places and the like that cause problems.

I saw one gameplay mod that only spawned alt-versions of weapons you already picked up, so as to not give you super powerful weapons in places on maps you weren't supposed to have them yet. Likewise, the more powerful enemies were set to only spawn in later levels/maps in an episode.

I wonder if you could add such tweaks in your Brutal Doom patch.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Just a minor update to remove easy marines (you get more nazis, savegames are not compatible) and add a missing sound for the supersecret weapon. BTW works fine with GZDoom 2.4.0.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've just updated this:

- Fixed game hung on deep water sectors. (PB 2.03 is also affected).
- Fixed too long melee range for Hell Knights.
- Decreased particles for the rest of liquid splashes as well to increase performance.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

12/02/2017 update:
- Fixed missing brutal doom options menu in GZDoom 3.2.
- Fixed rocket launcher sprite 'jumping' while running and pressing the reload key.
- Fixed revenants were invulnerable before performing their smashing fatality.
- Fixed another infinite loop (game hung on deep water sectors again).
- Fixed flying trees due to bad mass amount.
- Fixed commandos not dropping miniguns when killed by explosions.
- Increased rocket splash damage radius.
Last edited by drfrag on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

12/09/2017 update:
- Fixed plasma rifle not staying in multiplayer plus sometimes not dissapearing after being picked up.
- Reduced bullet amount for rifle ammo boxes.
- Changed pistol sprites to those from BD v21 and added unloading and one in the chamber for it.
- Made MP40 deselection faster.
- Now you can blow Hell Knights heads off with the minigun.

I might release a "somewhat standalone" version soon.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've updated this again today to fix the slow MP40 deselection, sorry.
Any reports are welcome.

Edit: Last minute hotfix. I reported that bug some time ago but i forgot about it, it was a mod problem. Sorry but time to download again.
- Fixed: if you were killed while changing weapons after resurrecting you could not select any weapon.
NovaRain

Post by NovaRain »

I'd suggest making MP40's priority higher than Buzzsaw. Because Buzzsaw's ammo is unique and impossible to replenish (unless cheating), making it being selected too easily could be inconvenient in certain scenarios. :oops:
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

You can get ammo for it picking backpacks. I already tried that but precisely you'll want to draw it fast on certain situations (to kill arch viles for instance). Anyway both are secret weapons.
The new pistol is cool and useful but you need to go thru the dual rifles to select it, that's worse. I'd like to add a zoomed alt fire but no graphics.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”