My Brutal Doom v20c unofficial patch

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Warrex

Re: My Brutal Doom v20c unofficial patch

Post by Warrex »

Line 594 in PLASMA.txt can cause the Player to loose its "SOLID" flag. E.g. Doors do not reopen when standing in the doorway and running through monsters and decoration is possible. This does not always happen when picking up the plasma rifle and I am not able to actually read the code.

But here is a save for GZDoom 3.2.4 with the megawad "No end in sight" (https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... awads/neis) loaded after BD 2.0b and version 6 of your patch: https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/vXYgIrxL

Just pick up the rifle and to check the problem given above out. Also note that I did not have a plasma rifle but you can dual wield them after picking the single one up.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I fixed it on the dec 31 update, as i mentioned on moddb you can continue your game by typing 'summon plasmagunonthefloor' and picking it up.
What happened is that custominventory is a bit hacky and there's not a 'success' keyword for the pickup states only 'fail'. To make the object being picked up and dissapear from the map a function must return success or you must use a dummy function not returning anything. I forgot that changeflag affected the player and not the item itself with custominventory (it's not mentioned in the wiki)
I've simplified things a bit and now you get the dualplasmarifles weapon 50% of the times (there are actually two plasma rifles but you won't see them). Originally Sarge replaced the plasma rifle with the custominventory item and summoned invisible plasma ammo but this approach caused problems in multiplayer since that item was not really a weapon (wouldn't stay and couldn't be picked up sometimes).
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

04/26/2018 update:
- Removed evil marines completely, on levels with many nazis (thousands) the engine could slow down and even crash.
- Reduced number of water particles even more.

BTW i released the standalone version, yes i cheated to get downloads for ZDoom LE. :mrgreen:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/d ... cy-edition
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Thanks for providing this legacy edition; I wasn't too much of a fan of the v21 changes. I don't use BD much these days, but its nice to crack it open with Maps of Chaos every so often.

One thing: maybe I was just terribly unlucky but it feels like the BFG's primary fire is very lacklustre now, doesn't seem to have hardly any AOE? I was fighting a Cybie that was stuck in a deep pit below me and it was very hard to land direct hits, so I basically seemed to be doing no damage. Might have been just that weird level set though, I'll experiment with some others to be sure.

Also, how hard is it to remove the monster weapons? Can I just remove a few lines and take out the sprites and files using SLADE? Never been a fan of them and I actively ignore them when using BD, so it would be nice for me to just remove them myself as its probably a niche opinion.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

You're welcome. Have you tried the pistol? :)
I'm not very fond of the 21 version either, also has game breaking bugs i reported but they were not fixed last time i checked.
I didn't change the primary fire of the BFG but the secondary one was buggy.
I just don't use them, you could prevent the monsters from dropping them.
Warrex

Post by Warrex »

There is a problem when firing with the plasma rifle on barrels. The hit detection seems to be off. Unlike with other weapons I have to point the crosshair at the lower end of the barrel - otherwise the hits do not connect.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I'm aware of it, same as in BD v20b. I don't know why it happens, may be the barrels are too small and the projectiles too fast. May be it was even intentional.
Warrex

Post by Warrex »

I am getting this in GZDoom 3.7.1 if I switch to the Plasma gun in "Classic" game mode:
VM execution aborted: Plasma_Gun.StateFunction.503 called without valid caller. Plasma_Gun expected
Called from state Plasma_Gun.503
Called from PSprite.SetState [Native]
Called from PSprite.Tick at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/shared/player.txt, line 2264
Called from PlayerPawn.TickPSprites at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/shared/player.txt, line 429
Called from PlayerPawn.PlayerThink at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/shared/player.txt, line 1449
This also happens if:

1. I start the game this way: gzdoom.exe +vm_jit 0 -file brutalv20b.pk3 brutalv20c_UP.pk3 (so when turning off the JIT compiler for DECORATE and ZScript)
2. If I launch the "Modern" game mode after having crashed the Classic game mode previously
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've just reproduced it with the legacy build. It happens also with a blood fixed BD v20 alone, the code in Plasma_Gun (PLASMA.txt) it's taking away the Plasma_Gun and giving you the ClassicPlasmaRifle instead. Most likely an engine bug.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

drfrag wrote:I've just reproduced it with the legacy build. It happens also with a blood fixed BD v20 alone, the code in Plasma_Gun (PLASMA.txt) it's taking away the Plasma_Gun and giving you the ClassicPlasmaRifle instead. Most likely an engine bug.
You could make it so it takes the Plasma_Gun after giving the ClassicPlasmaRifle. Or make a custominventory item that does this and so the Plasma_Gun isn't declared the caller of the function that takes itself away.
Warrex

Post by Warrex »

drfrag, are you interested in fixing this?

Does not seem to be an engine bug after all from what I read in the other thread and GZDoom 3.7.2 does not fix it.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I will fix it soon, it's an easy fix. Pending stuff i want to do.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Fixed.
01/25/2019 update:
- Fixed VM abort with classic plasma rifle on GZDoom 3.7.x.

Also includes ZDoom LE 2.8.3a. Has several bugfixes plus NormalNX scaling. Now it's a bit faster (VS 2013 build).
Warrex

Post by Warrex »

Great! Thank you for still putting time into this!
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

drfrag wrote: Also includes ZDoom LE 2.8.3a. Has several bugfixes plus NormalNX scaling. Now it's a bit faster (VS 2013 build).
Replaying Hell on Earth Start Pack with this and it runs really smooth with ZDoom LE 2.8.3a:) Is v20 your favorite version of Brutal Doom or was there some obvious bugs that you just wanted to fix?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”