Special Weapons: Updated 01-24-17

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Special Weapons: Updated 01-11-17

Postby lizardcommando » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:05 pm

More monster variety, the better. Just make sure there's a way to disable/enable these new changes. D4D and SmoothDoom are pretty good in that regards.

BTW, who drops the USAS-1 now?
lizardcommando
Thread killer

Postby Josh771 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:06 pm

The USAS-12 is now never dropped. You must either elect to start out with it, or you can find it replacing any super-shotgun spawns in the map. This means it is only available in Doom 1 as a starting loadout! I might be able to fix that by adding more monster variety, such as a shotgun guy whose firing imitates the USAS-12.

Hmm, do you suspect it is so important to make the monster variety toggleable? It sounds like tedium I'd like to avoid, but I also do not wish to deafen myself to anyone's feedback.
Josh771
formerly known as SidDoyle

Discord: josh771#7771

Postby lizardcommando » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 pm

For me, there's always always one part of a mod I like or there's one part of a mod that I don't like. For example, in SmoothDoom, there are options to let you use the default brown gloves or new black gloves, use Doom 64 style weapons or the default weapons, or you could turn on or off random monster death animations and extra gore. I like that you can have the option to turn on and off the extra gore or leave the random monster death animations. In D4D, there's the option to turn on the new monsters that are much tougher than the default monsters or you can turn that option off and just fight the default monsters. There are days where I want a challenge and fight the new monsters and there are days where I just want to feel like an unstoppable killing machine so I turn off the new monsters setting and fight the default monsters since they are much weaker.
lizardcommando
Thread killer

Re: Special Weapons: Updated 01-16-17 1ST NADES

Postby Josh771 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:42 am

Update! I've added the first rendition of frag grenades and smoke grenades to the game now. You start with one of each (slot 8). Smoke grenades are very rare drops, and right now I may have made frag grenades a little too common. All still WIP. Frag grenades may lag on some systems [edit]I've actually just re-uploaded this update with significantly reduced particle effects for grenades and the performance has been heavily improved[/edit].

I've also rebalanced armor for two new damage types: "SmallCal" and "LargeCal", replacing "Bullet". SmallCal damage type has been applied to most pistols and SMGs, with the exception of the Five-seven and P90 which use LargeCal to reflect their armor-piercing capabilities. The Desert Eagle .50 is also considered LargeCal; I'm unsure which other pistols I should consider armor-piercing or large caliber and would appreciate community feedback there.

Grenades in this mod are not accessible by magic hotkey and I don't intend to redesign them that way. You must select the grenade, toss it, and re-equip your weapon, so it's best to use grenades only when you are at sufficient distance or cover, of course you want that anyway or you'll catch some fragments.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I made CQC a little more useful and added variable weapon-switch time to all weapons. The fastest weapons to switch to are on slot 2, the slowest on slot 7. I'm not sure what other changes I may have forgotten. :P
Josh771

Postby Big C » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:20 am

Regarding the new damage types/armor: I think shotgun pellets would go under SmallCal type since they're basically round ball-bearings which makes them more like round-nosed regular pistol bullets than pointy rifle or Five-Seven/P90 rounds.
Big C

Postby Josh771 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:25 am

I believe I'd already classified shotguns as SmallCal, I just forgot to mention it. :P So, yes, shotgun pellets are currently SmallCal, which means body armor works wonders against those awful undead sergeants now.
Josh771

Re: Special Weapons: Updated 01-18-17

Postby Josh771 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 am

Update! I've added the ability to cook grenades; brush up on your timing skills and be careful to throw them in about 3 seconds at the latest. Simply hold fire to release the lever (or spoon, if you prefer) and begin cooking the grenade.

I've also made a big, reversible change for which I may add a setting, in case it's not universally appreciated. All zombies now fire one of the 53 weapons in-game, complete with proper firing sound, rounds per minute, changes in accuracy per weapon, damage output, and dropping the appropriate weapon on death. There are pistol zombies, SMG zombies, assault rifle zombies, sniper zombies, shotgun zombies, and LMG zombies.

One of the more terrifying new opponents is a USAS-12-toting shotgun guy, firing in full auto. But he does drop a nice prize - the USAS-12. :P Let me know what you think. You're going to want to take cover and be as tactical as you know how with these guys; damage is way up and you can feasibly get yourself one-shot. Still, I've been able to handle the crowds that teleport in on Map01 of Going Down using a smoke grenade and some heavy kevlar, so you can do it too! (I'm not the most skilled player.)

Cooking grenades will add to your tactical options, since a landing grenade will alert monsters and may cause them to wander out of its kill radius. I should also note that bullet strikes on walls will alert monsters, so you can use suppressed weapons and careful "misses" to lure out single enemies or small groups.

Feedback welcome, as usual!
Josh771

Postby ZikShadow » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Anyone knows of maps that would work best with this?

Right now it feels like i'm going through Twilight Warrior a thousand times by now (sans the first map, because curse whoever thought of that ambush room, doesn't help that sometimes it bugs out and you have to cheat anyway).
I had to remove the monster decorates to have the original terrorists/civilians/decorative "monsters" back, they still drop R6W stuff and can kill in harder difficulties though, so no biggie.

Now that i think of it, a mappack that primarily uses nothing but zombiemans combined with this mod's sprites would be just right.
ZikShadow

Postby Josh771 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:44 pm

I've never played Twilight Warrior, so I might have to investigate there. As far as primarily using the zombieman, you'd probably want a healthy sprinkling of shotgun guys and chaingun guys to spice things up. I don't know of any map packs like that, but I'm hardly well versed in Doom map packs.

Also, do you think the current monster design would work as-is with some simple sprite and voice replacements?

And, on a side note, anyone who downloaded the pk3 shortly after my update post may want to re-download the mod for a small fix. Undead sergeants needed some correction to their special aiming code, since I'm using a tight spread on their shotgun blasts. Through the use of CBAF_AIMFACING and some 0-tic frames they should have the same aiming flaws now as other zombies.
Josh771

Postby ZikShadow » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Ah yes, right, those guys too.

I'm kinda surprised that you haven't played TW yet, it's kinda almost R6-like with how its missions were done, hostage rescue (don't shoot civilians), destroying drugs (shoot barrels), bomb defusal (rush the map, you're timed), takeover (activate a button), assasination (find and shoot the enemy commander), and last but actually pretty least, approach the exit marker to complete.
There was an updated EDGE version too that was released, but that one is kinda incompatible with G/ZDoom (obviously), so these were based on the older version one.

Twilight Warrior utilizes most human-ish enemies, among other uses for other enemies as well.
Like i said, some enemies are changed to decorations, while others are changed in some way as well.

Take a look at their NPC sprites, maybe they can be utilized somehow.
This is from the old version, so i don't know if the EDGE version has updated sprites or something.

ZikShadow

Postby skyrish10 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:57 pm

So, any news about the weapon hud sprites for this mod, haven't heard Shivers since months
skyrish10
Rinoa

Postby Josh771 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:45 pm

I have it on good authority that Shivers has been otherwise occupied with a couple of projects but intends to return focus here when those are concluded. I do not know how long these other projects will take, so it will be a pleasant surprise for all of us when the hud sprites resume production. :)
Josh771

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Whoops, I knew I was forgetting to do something. I'll see if I can get back to work on the sprites after I finish a secret project i've been helping with...
Sgt. Shivers

Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Re: Special Weapons: Updated 01-24-17

Postby Josh771 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Update today. :)

Nothing too big, just noticed that scoped weapons have an annoying delay to their zoom function, so I've made the zoom key more responsive. Also tweaked some monster health values while making all monsters move slightly faster than their vanilla counterparts. In general, it should be "easier" to kill monsters now, although they will crawl out of the woodwork a little bit faster when they hear gunfire, so find some cover!

I've also simplified skill definitions. Now Private is pretty much a HMP-equivalent, Corporal is pretty much a UV-equivalent (and the default skill), and Sergeant has been changed to UV + fast monsters. All damages and health factors have been reset to vanilla except in Trainee difficulty, where monsters have halved health and health pickups grant twice as much health.

I enjoy playing on Sergeant. There's a certain satisfaction to taking on responsive enemies; I wish I could program a proper cover system for the AI.

Bug reports, critiques, suggestions, praise, and generally all feedback welcome as usual!
Josh771

Re: Special Weapons: Updated 01-24-17

Postby -Ghost- » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:20 pm

I wonder if you can borrow some of the AI from the Stealth Doom mod. It had a pretty good light/sound system that made sneaking around dark maps actually really fun, especially if you played with something like dark doom and flashlight. You had to weigh using the light to see where you're going versus getting spotted and attacks by the tougher monsters. It might help make things more tactical here.
-Ghost-

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods