Special Weapons: Updated 01-24-17

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

Re: Special Weapons: Updated 12-07-16 [beta]

Post by Josh771 »

Nocturned85 wrote:Just the mod itself, using the Qzdoom source and it runs fine.

Though I went back to experiment more and put the cheat code, "Sv_unlimited_pickup true" because I wanted a little more ammo for the shotgun and that's when it starts to jump around after firing. Sorry I should have said that earlier, but I wasn't so sure yet.
That explains it perfectly. Weapon instability is managed by an inventory item "inacc."

If you're carrying a ton of it, it means your weapon will be insanely inaccurate. You might not want to use that cheat, heh.
Nocturned85

Post by Nocturned85 »

Ah, ok. For some reason that cheat has its glitches whenever a weapon mod has a reloading feature.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

For some reason i can't seem to run the latest version of the mod, just crashes the moment i select a difficulty, same with using the map command.
No error logs either, it just does the ol' "GZDoom has stopped working".

Used both the stable 2.2.0 and the newer dev gzdoom-x64-g2.3pre-888-g56f6772, same results.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I'm going to download the latest GZDoom and see if I have the same troubles. :( I don't understand all these glitches and crashes; hopefully this one is something I can fix, but I'll have a hard time figuring out what's wrong if the program itself is crashing.

EDIT: Latest build is working just fine for me. I don't know what to say; what all are you loading with r6w.pk3? I recently crashed my GZDoom by accidentally launching a Doom 1 wad with the Doom 2 iwad. Is everything else doing fine without that file?
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

1. Nothing else, just the one r6w.pk3.
Tried every IWAD from D1, D2, TPE, and TNT.
No dice.

2. Yeah, everything went fine without r6w.pk3.
Just played Einherjar with Lethal Doom and Droplets, went fine (sans the obvious ingame items/weapons mix up).

It did however managed to launch with r6w_92fs.pk3.
Though that one doesn't have the other weapons.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I am totally confused and don't know where to begin. You've got the latest r6w.pk3 as well I assume. I suppose I could look at the crash log, but I'm not sure what I'd be able to figure out there. I'm open to ideas on what's causing this, because I can't really debug a problem as vague as a crash, and it doesn't even give you a proper decorate/ACS-related error message. :?
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Found out what happened.

I had "Switch on Pickup" disabled.

It had screwed me in many Doom mods playthrough, so i disabled it.
Removed my configs from my GZDoom installations and it magically worked.
Took me a while to trial and error to see what's causing the damage.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Huh, I wonder why that would cause a problem. I'm going to try and make a fix for this; I suspect I've done something terrible. The player's "unarmed" weapon is being given by ACS - why on earth I did that, I couldn't tell you. I need to make it a start item. :P This should just take a second. I commend your excellent troubleshooting skills. ;)

EDIT: I've uploaded a fixed version and I also confirmed your crash for myself. I quite easily made GZDoom die just by turning off my "Switch on Pickup" setting. This new version will simply spawn you without a weapon selected if that setting is off. Hopefully that resolves people's crashing issues across the board now. :)
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Yep, it's fixed now.
It really gets on my nerves when i constantly die in hard wads due to pickup weapon switching in the middle of combat (especially with the hitscan folks), so, this helps a lot, thanks.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I still don't like the fix as it stands because the player isn't holding a weapon when he spawns, which could really screw you on a few maps. But, then again, you'd be in a bad situation there either way.
Sgt. Shivers

Re: Special Weapons: RS3 Weapons for Doom [beta]

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

SidDoyle wrote:Also, I would totally not object if you just wanted to make me about... 53 fully animated HUD weapons, preferably centered. Just kidding. Mostly. :P
If you're willing to have WW-Nazis style reloads, I might be able to help you out... :wink:
Josh771

Re: Special Weapons: RS3 Weapons for Doom [beta]

Post by Josh771 »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:
SidDoyle wrote:Also, I would totally not object if you just wanted to make me about... 53 fully animated HUD weapons, preferably centered. Just kidding. Mostly. :P
If you're willing to have WW-Nazis style reloads, I might be able to help you out... :wink:
Well, I've got this whole buncha sprites courtesy of ZikShadow's searching, and Crudux Cruo is doing a fine job cutting the big ones into separate frames and has offered to put hands on them, buuut... I wonder if we could divide work up between you guys and destroy these gun sprites twice as fast? I'll have to discuss it with him and see how it goes; I already know you make some incredible quality animations, so I can't ignore an offer from you. :)
hydralist94

Post by hydralist94 »

Not bad mod but most weapons do the same, simply deal damage.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

hydralist94 wrote:Not bad mod but most weapons do the same, simply deal damage.
It is rather difficult to make "realistic" weapons and have them do something other than throw bullets wherever you aim them. I'd add variety to the weapon behaviors, but it would be artificial variety and I'm not interested in upsetting whatever integrity I can purchase for these guns. I do intend to add suppressors and scopes eventually so you can customize your weapons further, and maybe there will be more attachments after that (laser sights, extended magazines). But that's a future goal that I'm not quite ready to tackle just yet.

Differences between the weapons here are more subtle. Magazine capacity, ammo rarity, accuracy, recoil, fire rate, and even the aforementioned damage is considerably different between many weapons - even of the same caliber. The damages are scaled for how many bullets from each weapon a player with 100 health might survive without armor. It basically means that you might be able to escape with several rounds from a CZ61 in your hide, but a single .50 round is incredibly likely to drop you.
hydralist94

Post by hydralist94 »

SidDoyle wrote:
hydralist94 wrote:Not bad mod but most weapons do the same, simply deal damage.
It is rather difficult to make "realistic" weapons and have them do something other than throw bullets wherever you aim them. I'd add variety to the weapon behaviors, but it would be artificial variety and I'm not interested in upsetting whatever integrity I can purchase for these guns. I do intend to add suppressors and scopes eventually so you can customize your weapons further, and maybe there will be more attachments after that (laser sights, extended magazines). But that's a future goal that I'm not quite ready to tackle just yet.

Differences between the weapons here are more subtle. Magazine capacity, ammo rarity, accuracy, recoil, fire rate, and even the aforementioned damage is considerably different between many weapons - even of the same caliber. The damages are scaled for how many bullets from each weapon a player with 100 health might survive without armor. It basically means that you might be able to escape with several rounds from a CZ61 in your hide, but a single .50 round is incredibly likely to drop you.
Well yes, but in the end mainly those weapons only damage monsters.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”