Special Weapons: Updated 01-24-17

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

Re: Special Weapons: Updated 01-24-17

Post by Josh771 »

-Ghost- wrote:I wonder if you can borrow some of the AI from the Stealth Doom mod. It had a pretty good light/sound system that made sneaking around dark maps actually really fun, especially if you played with something like dark doom and flashlight. You had to weigh using the light to see where you're going versus getting spotted and attacks by the tougher monsters. It might help make things more tactical here.
I've thought about that. I've actually been wondering whether it would be worth learning ZScript to see what I might be able to do for a revision of my stealth AI. I know ZScript is at a volatile stage still and there are no guarantees that any mod I build on it will run next week, much less next year, but I am curious all the same.

I don't really see why I shouldn't do it. I've already got suppressed weapons in here and everything; could be fun.

Oh man, I'd have to do some shenanigans with the smoke grenades. They could give the player some kind of detection inhibitor I guess, for my gradual detection logic.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

It was one of the coolest AI things I've seen done with Doom, I'd love to see it included in this somehow. Rainbow 6 has always had an element of stealth and infiltration in it, so it'd fit right in.
Miguel371xd

Post by Miguel371xd »

Work in Zdoom 2.8.1?
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Miguel371xd wrote:Work in Zdoom 2.8.1?
Special Weapons makes extensive use of anonymous functions and requires one of the newer, "unstable" releases to run. Sorry about that.
iamthemithras

Post by iamthemithras »

I love this! I always love a tactical shooter. Now I gotta think again instead of just going in Run and Gunnin'

Do you think you'll be able to implement a leaning system?
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

It's funny you should mention that; I was recently made a passing mention of "If only I could offset the player's viewport." I'd love to implement functional leaning, but I suspect it isn't currently possible. Well... actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if some kind of proxy actor could be interpolated away from the player's position and rolled to the side to simulate leaning? It would be entirely for reconnaissance; you wouldn't be able to fire around corners, but it could still be neat.

And, as far as I know, it would be unique to my mod. I like attempting firsts. I may attempt some leaning mechanics now... :)

Also, I've implemented a suppressed FN Five-seven on my current development build of Special Weapons. It's currently a separate weapon altogether, instead of a set of states accessed by an inventory check - the system I would ideally use when suppressors become "loot." I don't know if it warrants a poll or what options that poll might have, but I have a few questions for my players:

• Should I implement the modular suppressor system with carriable attachable/detachable suppressor inventory items?

And, if not...
• Should I allow the player to select weapons with attachments in their loadouts? Or force them to find the modified versions?

The reason I ask the second question is because, obviously, right now you can spawn with your favorite gun and nothing stops you from using it as long as you keep it well fed. There is little sense of equipment progression - not that the mod necessarily needs that progression, but I do know that such progression can add to a game's fun factor.

Thoughts, feedback, welcome as always. :)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Maybe give people a really basic suppressed option in the loadouts, but if you want to silence anything decent you have to actually find the items out in the map?
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I've also had a thought about including a "Pistol Start" option for people who just want to scavenge what weapons they can. Might just add a "None" option to Primary Weapon instead, though. The big difference would be server option vs. client option.

By the way, has anyone tried this out in multiplayer? Coop or DM?
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Could be a "Doomed Operator" start or something, to play on the Doomed Marine name I've seen mods like HD do. I think having at least a basic progression is a good idea, since other mods like this tend to end up feeling samey when there's tons of guns but in terms of function they're pretty much the same. Maybe setting it up somehow so you're going from more basic guns like AKs, Mac10's etc to more modular, modern and effective weapons further into a level set?
Amer.

Post by Amer. »

i cant load it when try to it shows: Script error, "r6w.pk3:decorate/pistols" line 36:
Invalid state parameter nodelay pls help this mod looks fantastic
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Amer. wrote:i cant load it when try to it shows: Script error, "r6w.pk3:decorate/pistols" line 36:
What version of ZDoom or GZDoom are you using?
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

Amer. wrote:i cant load it when try to it shows: Script error, "r6w.pk3:decorate/pistols" line 36:
You know the drill: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32845
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

In addition, look up this site for trusty one.
doomguy214

LINK ON FIRST PAGE BROKEN DOES ANY HAVE LATEST COPY

Post by doomguy214 »

LINK ON FIRST PAGE BROKEN DOES ANY HAVE LATEST COPY
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I've noticed that, too. But next time, try to PM the original creator or request the download link at this thread.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”