Armed Veteran (Class based Gameplay mod)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DTDsphere

Armed Veteran (Class based Gameplay mod)

Post by DTDsphere »

Today is the 2nd year anniversary of the final version of ArmedRecruit.
Now here comes Armed Veteran.

Gameplay:
Spoiler:
Armed Veteran is a revised version of ArmedRecruit where all of my modern tastes come in to play.
Reloading, no thanks.
Non-automatic weapons, just no.
Difficulty, if I'm not stressed out, I'm not satisfied.

After having a break from ArmedRecruit and revisiting it, I felt it was way too easy. Absolutely no challenge at all in the slightest. I could blast through any level with my huge amount of health and armor. All the weapons felt really over powered and I'm not really a fan of reloading in my Doom too be honest. For Armed Veteran I made a map to tell me the amount of damage per second dealt to help me rebalance all of the weapons. The Assault Rifle and the Shotgun's DPS is very now very similar to the SSG from Doom 2, and the pistols are similar to the DPS of the Shotgun from Doom.

What is Armed Veteran?
Armed Veteran is a class based weapons mod with enormous attention to balance. There are 3 classes and they are the Assault Rifle Marine, The Shotgun Marine and the Rifle Marine.
  • Assault Rifle Marine's weapons:
  • Pistol. It is very accurate and deals very decent damage.
  • Assault Rifle. It requires an eye on your ammo count, as long as you fire in bursts at long to medium range you'll get the most out of each bullet.
  • Minigun (Special weapon). It clears rooms in seconds.

Shotgun Marine's weapons:
  • Automatic pistol. It is a bit less accurate than the regular Pistol but it fires faster.
  • Shotgun. It should definitely give you your fix of shotty action, this is Doom after all.
  • Flamethrower (Special weapon). It has more ammo than the minigun but has a limited range.

Rifle Marine's weapons:
  • SMG. This is the Rifle Marine's crowd control weapon. Ammo is almost always avaliable for it too.
  • Rifle. Drop those chaingunners from across the map with eaze. The bullet will always go where you tell it to.
  • Rocketlauncher (Special weapon). Self explanatory.

Weapons for all classes:
  • Fist. Unchanged.
  • Knife. Always will one hit kill an imp and also has an impressive range to it. Fantastic for saving ammo.
  • Grenade. These are for clearing rooms and saves you from using all of your bullets on a group or a boss.
Stimpacks, Medikits and Armor get added to the players inventory.
Archviles drop Tome of Powers which temporarily buffs your weapons.

Zombiemen are replaced by zombie variations of the classes to drop appropriate ammo.
Nightmare Imps, Nightmare Demons and Nightmare Cacodemons have a 1/100 chance of spawning in place of their normal selves. They are faster, have more health and a lot more firepower than the normal monsters.

I also switched things up with the difficulty by implementing my difficulty mod. Short version of it, HMP = UV and UV = UVFAST.
Spoiler: Full changelog from ArmedRecruit
Credits:
Spoiler:
Download:
Armed-Veteran.pk3 for GZDoom and ZDoom
Armed-Veteran-MP.pk3 for Zandronum

The Zandronum version supports many game modes, including:
  • Co-op/Survival
  • Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch
  • LMS/Team LMS
  • Capture the Flag/One Flag CTF
  • Possession/Team Possession
  • Terminator
Big C

Re: Armed Veteran (Class based Gameplay mod)

Post by Big C »

This looks like a pleasantly straightforward class mod! I'll give it a try once I get my new computer.
brunocar

Post by brunocar »

What about a Hexen version of this, i know it sounds weird, but seeing how it already fits the the way classes work there, its not such a bad idea
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I do not think there should be a hyphen in "Assault-Rifle Magazine" and "Assault-Rifle Ammo".
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I do not think there should be a hyphen in "Assault-Rifle Magazine" and "Assault-Rifle Ammo".
Alright, fixed just for you. I'm not even going to document this update.
Lime

Post by Lime »

Nice! interesting Class-type mod. I have a complaint about the Names of the Class. How about like this?

- Assault Rifle Marine - Assault
- Shotgun Marine - Shotgunner
- Rifle Marine - Scout
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Very interesting mod! Also i played your old mod before, so it's really amazing to see your new mod again! It's smooth, vanilla-importance and balanced!
Spoiler: And of course, here's my thoughts
So that's it. And about the names, i just got some right here;

Assault Rifle Marine: Rifleman
Shotgun Marine: Fusilier
Rifle Marine: Sharpshooter
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Captain J wrote:Very interesting mod! Also i played your old mod before, so it's really amazing to see your new mod again! It's smooth, vanilla-importance and balanced!
Thank you :D.
Captain J wrote: - No animations for fist? Or are you going to add something different?

- Minigun's wind up and down sound effect doesn't exist.

- Automatic Pistol and SMG are really firing way too slow. I understand if Automatic Pistol is actually Semi-Auto, but for SMG, not so satisfying.

- Plasma Rifle as Flamethrower? Now that sounds something. Perhaps do you mind to replace it into something new?

- Rocket Launcher doesn't gib enemies unlike Grenade. Intentional?

- Pistol, Rifle and Assault Rifle Magazine pickup message has no Dot at the end.
I didn't feel like adding extra animations to the first for the sake of adding extra animations. Besides, I'm so used to the original fist, it feels right to me.

The pistols and SMGs firing a bit slow is to do with their bullets doing a great deal of damage, it helps with ammo management.

Yeah... I should perhaps fix the pickup messages.
DTDsphere

Post by DTDsphere »

Shameless bump as I hope this'll get more attention.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Pretty cool mod, I liked ArmedRecruit as well. I think I'm just not as much a fan of only having a few weapons per class; it's fine for shorter mapsets or episodes but tough to play a whole megawad with only 3-4 weapons.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Agreed. What we need right now is some energy weapons to zap with. I know it's high-tech for the classes, but still.
DTDsphere wrote:Shameless bump as I hope this'll get more attention.
Bump, eh? What kind of bump is it? Update? Or maybe some notice?

Good to see this thread again, tho.
Error313

Post by Error313 »

I like the mod, I would add for the multiplayer coop, that each character has abilities like Enemy Territory, medic, soldier and engineer. And can supply the team with health, ammunition and armor respectively
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

So i've thought, ever since this project came out, to give my feedback, but it was not well received last time... and frankly, its largely the same. actually, you doubled down on the things i didn't like, changed things i did, and then added voxels to the package to make it look nicer. I've always liked the look of this, the monsters, the hud, ect... and im VERY GLAD that the stupid rifle aim thing is gone, make the game much more playable...

i guess there's a specific vision here i either dont get or whatever, but this just runs contrary to me. but for what its worth, i did notice this... a long time ago. armed recruit actually was sort of an inspiration to an early ancestor of lethal doom, although it plays differently it retains soft classes, and it was going to have a weight based weapon system that only allowed for 3 or 4 weapons, like your mod. i think its floating around in the lethaldoom thread, its called doodlestrike

in the end... i made lethal doom sort of as a tailor fit mod to my personal tastes, and you can see how very different these two projects are!
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Hopefully there's a way or weapon to kill the boss brain in this mod, so far it only limits you to the class' weapons and not much beyond that - at least let them be able to pick up weapons from other classes and demolition/explosive weapons.
And maybe find a way to replace ammo to suit the selected class - it doesn't help seeing shotgun shells I can't pick up nor use as any other class than shotgunner.
Last edited by EddieMann on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

@DTDsphere could you add another playerclass which has all of the primary weapons and maybe a different 4th secondary and special weapon? While this would completely throw the balance out the window, it would at least make Armed Veteran partially compatible with map sets that have specials/triggers tied to weapons or ammo pickups which you can't always pickup because you don't play the corresponding class.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”