Bullet-Eye - v0.11.8b - 5/4/22 - V2 Enemy Mod Released!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What are your thoughts on Bullet-Eye Mode?

I don't use it often but it should remain as is.
22%
I don't use it often and would rather see it converted into a primary weapon.
33%
I use it often and it should remain as is.
44%
I use it often but wouldn't mind it being converted into a primary weapon.
No votes

Total votes : 9

Re: Bullet-Eye - v0.11.8b - Frozen Wrath - 5/4/22

Postby Linz » Tue May 10, 2022 6:53 am

Oh one other thing

While it's neat that the Frost Snap can make vending machines invisible for a few so you can interact with stuff, you might wanna add some info that explains that it can do that

Will hopefully save you from headaches from people who didn't bother reading the changelog and complain about it I feel

Another thing, I found this...really bizarre thing where if you do a quick melee while charging the Buster you just go zooming. I have no idea if this is intended or not but it is kinda funny

(Maybe it has something to do with the Hasty Threads? I say maybe because this works while standing or airborne, while the Hasty Thread's effect only works if you're crouched)

Third thing: I had a thought, how about some special support for Corruption Cards? I had this thought where you can gain a GP multiplier or something depending on how debilitating the card you choose. I dunno if this is a good idea or not but it just came to me and I wanted to hear what you think
Linz

Postby Mor'Ladim » Tue May 10, 2022 3:31 pm

Linz wrote:While it's neat that the Frost Snap can make vending machines invisible for a few so you can interact with stuff, you might wanna add some info that explains that it can do that

Will hopefully save you from headaches from people who didn't bother reading the changelog and complain about it I feel

Yes there are a lot of things that need to be documented somewhere, but it keeps slipping my mind. I'll make a few more help screen pages to list some features so players don't have to read the changelog or the topic to get their info.

Another thing, I found this...really bizarre thing where if you do a quick melee while charging the Buster you just go zooming. I have no idea if this is intended or not but it is kinda funny

(Maybe it has something to do with the Hasty Threads? I say maybe because this works while standing or airborne, while the Hasty Thread's effect only works if you're crouched)

The Buster and Quick Melee combo is actually intentional and is a reference to the Shinespark from Super Metroid. It deals quit a bit of damage to enemies, but may be difficult to hit them with it. I did want to add more hidden functions like that on weapons (at least mainly Tech) but they would have to be fitting - then again they would not really be too hidden as there aren't many button combinations that could be used to hide them in the first place. Also, I am most likely going to change the Hasty Treads effect since it seems to be very unpopular.

Third thing: I had a thought, how about some special support for Corruption Cards? I had this thought where you can gain a GP multiplier or something depending on how debilitating the card you choose. I dunno if this is a good idea or not but it just came to me and I wanted to hear what you think

I'll see if it can be done, but otherwise at the moment Dread Level does effect some of the GP drops but mainly for chests. I'll have it affect more types of GP drops, as well as increasing the amount earned for now until Corruption Cards can possibly be supported.

Speaking of support, I did want to see if I could add in support for other monster packs, but I'm not sure how to go about it yet. That, and I am not sure if enough people play Bullet-Eye to warrant such an undertaking. I did see some comments a while back stating that the mod was better without the custom enemies it currently has, so that is one of the reasons I even had the idea!
Mor'Ladim
Does this man finish anything?!

Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.
Discord: Mor'ladim#7303

Postby Linz » Thu May 12, 2022 5:57 am

If anything I feel like the Buster secret tech should be moved to alt fire because it really can ruin someone's muscle memory when they were going for a kick and ended up dashing by mistake
Linz

Postby Mor'Ladim » Wed May 18, 2022 4:09 am

Linz wrote:If anything I feel like the Buster secret tech should be moved to alt fire because it really can ruin someone's muscle memory when they were going for a kick and ended up dashing by mistake

Well yes, I can do that now since alt-fire is no longer used for the now non-existent sub-weapons. The Buster does not have an alt-fire either so it should work out just fine!

In other news, I made updates to the enemy only mod and should be able to release it later today or tomorrow once I test it to ensure there are no irregularities or VM Aborts and such. Some of the AI won't be a 1:1 to the actual Bullet-Eye mod itself due to some of the code requiring specific actors to check in a proximity, but I've hopefully used viable substitutes.

I'll also need to release a new update with some minor fixes later. One issue would be a huge bug, but thankfully the conditions to get it to happen require some work (you need certain items and have to hope for a drop - then have to use Quick Melee on your Flash Guard while said item is equipped) that it should not interrupt standard gameplay. This should also be released tomorrow.

Thanks to all for playing!
Mor'Ladim

Postby Linz » Wed May 18, 2022 6:07 am

Oh, another thing

Some sort of low armor durability warning (and one for when an equipment piece breaks for that matter) thing would be nice, cause again it feels really lowkey in what's supposed to be something you should actively keep an eye on

One time I didn't even notice one of my equipment pieces broke until I glanced at my durability and I went "Oh. When did that happen?"
Linz

Postby Mor'Ladim » Wed May 18, 2022 8:15 am

Linz wrote:Oh, another thing

Some sort of low armor durability warning (and one for when an equipment piece breaks for that matter) thing would be nice, cause again it feels really lowkey in what's supposed to be something you should actively keep an eye on

One time I didn't even notice one of my equipment pieces broke until I glanced at my durability and I went "Oh. When did that happen?"

I agree that even the sounds aren't enough some times. I was thinking about adding a flashing red box around the equipment indicator on the HUD when a piece is low on durability. Also given that GP is much easier to come by these days, especially with the ability to sell equipment and weapons (really need to add that to the help screen), I can probably increase the cost of repairing - but I will also increase the max durability of items to give players more breathing room.

If playing with higher Dread Levels, the current durability values can be a problem for some of the items, such as arm shields which have the lowest durability, so I think a durability increase is in order in either case.
Mor'Ladim

Re: Bullet-Eye - v0.11.8b - 5/4/22 - V2 Enemy Mod Released!

Postby Mor'Ladim » Thu May 19, 2022 6:57 pm

Apologies for the double post, but version 2 of the enemy only mod has been released! Hopefully I caught all the bugs that came up, but everything seemed to be in working order as I did two days of testing/fixing.

It can be downloaded from the first post or here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymqttuhgjic97dh/Morladim-BulletEyeBaddiesV2.pk3?dl=1

As mentioned in the first post, these enemies now have XDeath states for compatibility with certain mods, but will still play out their regular Death state. That is to say, there are no different animations for XDeath states. The enemies are also highly aggressive, so it is not recommended to play with vanilla Doom or anything that would "power down" your character. Not all enemies are completed, but as of now, 14/18 are finished as opposed to the 8/18 in the previous version.

Please do let me know if any bugs pop up and I will fix them as soon as possible!
Mor'Ladim

Postby Linz » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:44 pm

So another thing I wanna say

There's a key to switch to the next track, but not a key to revert to the map's default music, instead having to go into the options to do so

A little unintitive I feel, could do with a key like that
Linz

Postby Mor'Ladim » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:26 pm

Linz wrote:So another thing I wanna say

There's a key to switch to the next track, but not a key to revert to the map's default music, instead having to go into the options to do so

A little unintitive I feel, could do with a key like that

Should be easy enough to add.

Also, my apologies to everyone! I did say I would have an update out a while ago with some fixes, but then I found even more issues that need to be fixed, plus I got carried away with some other changes such as converting every remaining DECORATE file into ZScript, balancing changes, and some improvements to a few weapons. I also added in a visual low durability warning rather than just solely using a sound effect! I'll try my best to have this out by the end of this month.
Mor'Ladim

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods