Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
25%
Area
6%
Rapid
31%
Tech
25%
Support
No votes
Melee
13%

Total votes: 16

eharper256

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.10 - 1-Up!

Post by eharper256 »

Oh nice, the full 0.10 release happened whilst I was distracted by Star Traders. Will give it a shot when I get a moment.
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Gourry »

Like the new changes to this. Would it be possible to upgrade the back-up default weapon in the future?
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Gourry wrote:Like the new changes to this. Would it be possible to upgrade the back-up default weapon in the future?
It wasn't intended to be upgradeable, but since it seems to be more popular than I thought, I could look into it. In the past when I had starter weapons in mind, I was thinking of an equipment item that would allow said starter weapons to gain levels. Though, I think players would prefer to just have the ability to level it instead of having to rely on an equipment item.

This particular starter weapon will only be available to Valnos, the character that is currently playable. Future characters will have their own starter weapon and 'ultimate' weapon (Bullet-Eye for Valnos).
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Gourry »

Not sure if this is a bug but the Wolfenstein enemies in Doom 2 seem to be invisible unless you use target spy or something. Any plans for character replace for them?
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Gourry wrote:Not sure if this is a bug but the Wolfenstein enemies in Doom 2 seem to be invisible unless you use target spy or something. Any plans for character replace for them?
Definitely a bug. And yes, I will eventually replace every enemy with a unique one, so no vanilla monsters will remain. There is only one thing I am not sure of, however - I am going to treat the Wolfenstein enemy as an extra enemy type, instead of as a 'joke' monster. So with that in mind, I am not sure if I should leave them strictly on the maps they appear on, or to make them spawn in any other map.

In the meantime, a smaller update will be released in the near future that will address some bugs and add some suggestions from other users, which will also fix the Wolfenstein spawns.

Thanks for playing!
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

I've encountered a rather odd bug - when loading Community Chest 4 as a mapset, subweapons break. You start with no subweapon in the slot, and when you use subweapons it's always the Mag Shuriken no matter what else you've picked up.

Load order is just Community Chest 4, then Bullet Eye.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

CanisLaticanis wrote:I've encountered a rather odd bug - when loading Community Chest 4 as a mapset, subweapons break. You start with no subweapon in the slot, and when you use subweapons it's always the Mag Shuriken no matter what else you've picked up.

Load order is just Community Chest 4, then Bullet Eye.
Thanks for the report. It seems to trigger on maps that utilize voodoo dolls, as I was also able to get this to happen on the first map of Community Chest 1, which also uses voodoo dolls. We will get a fix out as soon as we are able to.

For now, you can type 'take NewMagShurikens' in the console, then 'give NewMagShurikens' and it should be restored to working order.

Thanks for playing!

EDIT: Fixed in the development version.
lwks

Post by lwks »

When playing this I got a song from a Shmup I used to play when I was a kid, I started grinding all the songs I could using the Next Song Command but I didn't manage to find the song again, do you guys have a list of all the games you got songs from?
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

lwks wrote:When playing this I got a song from a Shmup I used to play when I was a kid, I started grinding all the songs I could using the Next Song Command but I didn't manage to find the song again, do you guys have a list of all the games you got songs from?
That info can be found in the "language.txt" file.

As for the SHMUPS used in the mod, the ones I can remember off the top of my head are listed below, with the whole playlist linked:
Bio Metal (JP) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MEEq2N ... 06FF77F977)
Axelay (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMsAzWC ... 56CA642844)
Steel Empire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po9GdUT ... Wo9gzTEAMk)
Ranger-X (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og_gg1H ... Ba0VsiVvV_)
Aero Fighters (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwkfcvB ... 3Fw9ZTkEdN)
Darius Twin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_mvZj ... 3F1DDBEFE0)
Vapor Trail (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQAavtl ... 918D01EF44)
Super Aleste (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-3EG-7 ... 9785C4A71E)
U.N. Squadron (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l38bdoX ... sm1qX5QQAz)
Firepower 2000/Super Swiv (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7WK3d9 ... 42294DDDCF)
Phalanx (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_OH6Ey ... D7ACE201F6)
Battle Garegga (Saturn)(Since this is a custom SPC, I will directly link to the video of the song, but note it is not the exact one used in the mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF5qqYwsQZA)
Silver Surfer (Same situation as the above song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J0H5ah1G7A)

Hope this narrows it down!

If none of those were it, here is a GitLab link directly to the "language.txt" file so you can hopefully find what you are looking for: https://gitlab.com/Mor-ladim/bullet-eye ... nguage.txt

I was also going to add in a keybind that lets you view information for the currently playing track, so you can view it at any time, rather than only having one chance to see it at the start of a map.
lwks

Post by lwks »

Thanks for the help, but I remember the game being specificaly on the Super NES and if memory serves it was a Shmup on Space, but unfortunately none of those seem to be the one I was looking for. I'm starting to think that my mind was playing tricks on me, perhaps I heard a Megaman X 3 song and though it was a Shmup song, but at this point I don't even remember the song anymore xD

And btw while I was looking at the "language.txt" file I noticed that Line 38 and Line 213 are the same song, "Frontline Base" and "Front Line Base" from U.N. Squadron , perhaps the same song appears twice on the "random song pool"? Check it out! Nevermind they're two different song pools =P
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

This image may not show too much, but it is actually the first test run of co-op in Bullet-Eye. Perhaps I could have shown the scoreboard to help understand the image better, but it was my first foray into multiplayer in Doom!

It worked surprisingly well, and most of the bugs that were found have been squashed. Some features were even added with multiplayer in mind, such as the ability to drop equipment items or even weapons! I had a lot of fun while testing co-op gameplay, so I hope other players will share the same experience once it’s finally complete. Just note that it will not work for Zandronum, as there are a ton of features that require ZScript to work correctly.

The image above shows the new Equipment Screen in the Equipment Panel. 4 more armor slots were added, as I felt it was too easy to build up a full set in such a short amount of time on most occasions. The Effect field displays the information that the currently selected armor provides. As before, this is an effect unique to that equipment item. The Bonuses field shows random bonuses acquired for that armor piece. These bonuses can be obtained either by using newly added Equipment Enhancers to level up the selected item, or by finding equipment items out in the world that already have the bonuses, but these are rare! Examples of bonuses are an increase to maximum ammo of a certain ammo type, weapon damage modifiers, and even special bonuses that affect specific weapons!

The colorful bar to the left of each icon is a durability meter. If durability is enabled in the options, then your armor will break once the meter reaches zero! You can repair it by finding a duplicate piece, or by using 1 Equipment Enhancer. Weapons also share this durability option.

If all goes well, this update won't be as long of a wait as 0.10 was. As always, thanks for playing!
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

So I've been pondering some ideas lately regarding Sub-Weapons. I've attached a poll of what I had in mind, but the main idea is that if I should remove the Sub-Weapon system altogether and convert the current Sub-Weapons into primary weapons. I believe some would have to change drastically, however, such as the Cross Mine, as there would be overlap with the Storm Mine.

If I did remove Sub-Weapons, I could add in a 4th weapon slot to make up for the loss. Some equipment items and mechanics would need to change of course, since Sub-Weapon ammo would no longer be a thing. Converting the weapons to primaries would also allow me to balance out the weapon roster further much faster, as currently in the dev version, there is only one Support weapon (The Seeker weapon family is being changed to Support), and I can see the Flame Bloom Darts becoming a Support weapon, just as one example. I still have plenty of ideas for entirely new weapons, though, so this doesn't mean I am losing steam or anything!

I would love to hear any thoughts on the matter - or a simple vote in the poll should suffice.

I also had an idea to remove hands/arms from almost every weapon entirely, which would make adding new characters extremely easy (and also allow for easier editing should a user want to use the sprites for their own mod), but at the same time, some weapons would appear awkward. The Quick Strike comes to mind - unless I lower the blade so the hands and arms are not shown. Is this something that has been done before in another mod? If so, did it seem very odd? I'd also love to hear opinions on this as well.

With all that said, the next update shouldn't take much longer to finish. I'll just need to run a few tests to see if certain bugs have been fixed, and add in a weapon or two along with some equipment items to balance things out. For example, there is a belt slot for equipment items, but no belt item exists!

Hopefully it will all be worth the wait. Thank you to those who have stuck with us thus far!
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

It's been a while, hasn't it? You know when I said the next update wouldn't take much longer to finish? Yeah...So that was a lie. Some things kept popping up during development, and now we may have to delay the release by a bit so we can refactor a few mechanics under the hood to make further development much more seamless than it is now.

Not only is there going to be a refactor of some systems, we are going to overhaul features. We feel that this will improve the mod in the long run while also reducing overlap or removing features that only really added bloat to the mod. Here is what we have planned:

-First off, Sub-Weapons will no longer be a thing. They really didn't add anything to the game and weren't all that different from primary weapons. It would make more sense if the combat was mainly melee oriented, but that is not the case here. They will not be entirely removed, as some will be spread to primary weapons, such as the Mag Shuriken and Energy Claws, and others will be used in another system. Naturally, some Equipment items will need to change as a select few affected Sub-Weapons.

-Abilities will be removed as well. This means Flash Guard and Quick Kick. The plans for them are not yet set in stone, but I may be able to incorporate the Quick Kick into a weapon, and the Flash Guard into another system. This also means that future playable characters will not have their own unique abilities as was originally planned. Melee weapons will also have their two unique abilities removed, but fear not, as they will be integrated into the weapons themselves, so they will not be totally lost. This also means that developing melee weapons will be less of a problem, as I will no longer need to think of 3 different effects for each level of the weapons as well two unique abilities for each.

-Bullet-Eye Mode will see some slight changes as well. It is now a burst attack that fires automatically as soon as it is used, and can no longer be cancelled during fire. However, building up energy for it is much faster, so it can be activated far more often than before. On the other hand, since it is now a quick burst attack, this means there will no longer be unique music playing when it is activated. Those tracks have been moved over to the general map music pool.

-Ammo usage, reloading, and durability are now baseline to the mod and are no longer options. I know this may upset a few players, but it was throwing some balance off, and preventing some features or mechanics from being included. As an example, the Spitfire's L3, which increases fire rate as the weapon is used would reset the fire rate bonus if a manual reload was done. As you can see, this would never happen with infinite ammo or no reloading on, causing game breaking play. A lot of new mechanics will open up due to this change, so hopefully it will make up for the loss of the options.

-Elements on weapons actually have a use now, instead of just being for flavor. Fire damage will leave a lasting damage over time effect on enemies hit by a fire-based weapon. Ice will slow down enemy movements and eventually freeze them. Lightning will damage a nearby enemy when the primary target has been hit. Poison will no longer cause damage to enemies over time - it will now reduce their damage dealt for a duration.

-There are also finally player sprites for Valnos, and quite a number of new weapons and monsters coming, with artwork by HyperUltra64 (Of Treasure Tech fame), so those will be unique and exciting to see in action!

I probably forgot something, so if that is the case, I will return to update this post, but I think that covers some of the more major changes and additions. Hopefully this isn't too extreme for players, as I know this may change some play styles up a bit. As I said, this may delay the update's release a bit, but not as much as before as there will be less mechanics to implement overall. We can even delay some planned features to speed up development time further. In the end, we hope to get the next version out as soon as possible, so please bear with us - and as always, thank you for playing!
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

It's fine, it's fine. Not much to complain about here, but...
Mor'Ladim wrote:durability
The problem I have with durability is that it ends up throwing off the 'soft' balance: weapons can rapidly become 'too awesome to use' due to it, making players preserve their better weapons for a big fight that never arrives. Furthermore, unless you have some way of restoring durability that shows up on common or semi-common pickups, this can actually result in some cases of levels becoming far more difficult than intended (since Doom wasn't designed with durability in mind).

I can 100% understand limited ammo and requiring reloads, but durability not being optional feels like a really bad idea from my end.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh man, glad you're back. And no, i think Durability should be there. The game gonna get easy if you turn it off otherwise.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”