Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
25%
Area
6%
Rapid
31%
Tech
25%
Support
No votes
Melee
13%

Total votes: 16

eharper256

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.7 - v1 Enemy Mod!

Post by eharper256 »

Looks like a sweet set of updates. It will be nice to have more variety in the weapons and more character to each one.

I like the new info screen: I assume that it changes depending on the weapon you currently have out now? How will the sub-weapons be described with this?

Other things I'd like to see:

>> The Bulleteye changing effects and looks based on what weapons you currently have. Quite often when I've got level 2-3's I don't use it very often. It only feels fairly mediocre... though maybe I've been ruined by Trailblazer lol. Might be a nice challenge mode to disable it entirely as well.

>> I don't know if you've played AMID EVIL, but the Rage system from that would fit right in here as well. Similar to what the Bullet-Eye does already, but the regular weapons would also go up to overkill power, basically. That would be really cool.
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

Wow, this is easilly one of the most interesting to play, tightly designed and creative gameplay mods I've tried up till now.

The new enemies are really cool looking too. Mainly what I would like to ask is, with the sound and visual design of the weapons being what they are, they don't quite fit with Doom's standard grimy gritty look.

Do you have any plans on making maps specially designed for Bullet Eye, or, maybe any recommendations for user maps that would go well with it?
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I'm not the mod author, but I thought about creating some arcade-style maps that fit the gameplay of Bullet Eye. I was envisioning arena-based maps like those in Total Carnage and Smash T.V. wre you enter a rather small, enclosed area and waves upon waves of enemies spawn. Of course, since this is 3d and you can't look behind you to see what's coming and who's shooting at you, this has to be designed carefully.
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

hybridial wrote:Wow, this is easilly one of the most interesting to play, tightly designed and creative gameplay mods I've tried up till now.

The new enemies are really cool looking too. Mainly what I would like to ask is, with the sound and visual design of the weapons being what they are, they don't quite fit with Doom's standard grimy gritty look.

Do you have any plans on making maps specially designed for Bullet Eye, or, maybe any recommendations for user maps that would go well with it?
The weapons may seem a little out of place, but I am trying to keep a retro theme, while also trying to find a middle ground with the Doom theme. I do need to touch up some of the weapons so they don't deviate from said style as much as they do now.

As for custom maps, I WOULD love to make some for the mod some day, but finding the time has proven fairly difficult. One idea I had was to make 'bonus dungeons' within the mod itself, so you could visit them any time. They would follow a SNES theme, using textures that look like they were pulled straight from a game on the console. Hopefully I can get started on that after this update.

For maps readily available, I'd say Scythe 1 & 2 are always good choices. If you're looking for short bursts of gameplay, Congestion 1024 and the like are fun! I heard Super MAYhem 17 is also fitting, but just be warned that there was a problem with one of the score items, since they use the same name. Definitely something I am going to fix in the next update!

Thank you for playing, and I hope you enjoy the upcoming update! It would make quite a bit of improvements to the mod.
Cherno wrote:I'm not the mod author, but I thought about creating some arcade-style maps that fit the gameplay of Bullet Eye. I was envisioning arena-based maps like those in Total Carnage and Smash T.V. wre you enter a rather small, enclosed area and waves upon waves of enemies spawn. Of course, since this is 3d and you can't look behind you to see what's coming and who's shooting at you, this has to be designed carefully.
I'd be really interested to see what you make, if you get around to it!
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I think the style of the guns and sounds is fine, fitting for a mod that is inspired by the 8 & 16-bit arcade classics.
HolyHeadcrab

Post by HolyHeadcrab »

Using the Bullet-Eye and firing for a few seconds kicks me to the console, with the error:

"VM execution aborted: Tried to read from address zero.
Called from Inventory.TryPickup at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/inventory/inventory/txt, line 456
Called from Inventory.CallTryPickup at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/inventory/inventory/txt, line 602
Called from Actor.GiveInventory at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/actor_inventory.txt, line 90
Called from ScriptUtil.GiveInventory at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/scriptutil/scriptutil.txt, line 44"

Same error happens with the dev version.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

HolyHeadcrab wrote:Using the Bullet-Eye and firing for a few seconds kicks me to the console, with the error:

Called from Inventory.TryPickup at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/inventory/inventory/txt, line 456
Called from Inventory.CallTryPickup at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/inventory/inventory/txt, line 602
Called from Actor.GiveInventory at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/actor_inventory.txt, line 90
Called from ScriptUtil.GiveInventory at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/scriptutil/scriptutil.txt, line 44"

I too get that same error, but unfortunately, do not know what to do to fix it. I shall both make a bug report about it and see if I can figure out any solutions tomorrow, as I am heading to work soon. If you'd like, you can use GZDoom 3.3.0 to play, as it will definitely work in that version. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause!

In other news, I am slowly but surely making progress each day with the next update. I decided to cut some of the more advanced features for this incoming update, and will either save them for the update afterwards or just drop some entirely, as they would decrease the arcade feel of the mod. This will in turn, lead to a much faster release date. Also, I am implementing a simple weapon experience system that will help with weapon levels and encourage swapping! Score will be a baseline feature instead of an option that one can enable, and it will be used as a currency to purchase experience for a currently held weapon. The experience points are not permanent at the moment, as that will require quite the number of changes to get it working right, and delay a release further.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

HolyHeadcrab wrote:Using the Bullet-Eye and firing for a few seconds kicks me to the console, with the error:

Didn't happen to me. How I tried to reproduce:
- load v097;
- console: "give BulletEyeEnergy" 20-30 times (to collect enough of its ammo);
- console: "summon IronAnnihilator";
- fire till no ammo is left;
- nothing has happened :D
Using GZDoom 3.7.2. Maybe you're using an old version of engine, say, 3.7.1 with a "raft of bugs"?
HolyHeadcrab

Post by HolyHeadcrab »

Mere_Duke wrote: Didn't happen to me. How I tried to reproduce:
- load v097;
- console: "give BulletEyeEnergy" 20-30 times (to collect enough of its ammo);
- console: "summon IronAnnihilator";
- fire till no ammo is left;
- nothing has happened :D
Using GZDoom 3.7.2. Maybe you're using an old version of engine, say, 3.7.1 with a "raft of bugs"?
I just used your method. It only crashed again when I was firing at multiple enemies at once.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

It seems the problem has been identified and fixed, thanks to some help I've received. It will be totally fixed in the next update, but for now as a band-aid fix, simply disable Score Mode in the options when playing the stable release. (No need to use an older version). Again, my apologies for the inconvenience, and I hope to release the next update soon to avoid players having to go through such trouble!
SnakyLeVrai

Post by SnakyLeVrai »

Hi all, just joined for the same problem but with Brutal Doom v21, release candidate 7, with Doom.wad + GZDoom 3.7.1, and confirmed it again with 3.7.2. No other mod.

It pops the console and prints exactly the same lines HolyHeadCrab mentioned, no more no less:
I've narrowed it down to making a direct hit with a rocket on a monster, systematically, no exception. Does not happen when I shoot a wall or floor or ceiling, even when they die by the dozen because of the blast.
Happens sometimes when slaughtering them en masse with the chain gun (less often).
Happens when a grenade or a barrel explodes when in contact with them (well I guess, it's hard to tell with the whole action around but it's more likely to happen when they are extremely close to the explosive).

Does not happen in vanilla (doom.wad + GZDoom, no mod).

I'll try it in the next update and check with you if the fix worked :)
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

When shooting the starter pistol, it adds to the secondary charge
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Bobby wrote:When shooting the starter pistol, it adds to the secondary charge
In the dev version? Yes, that is intentional - however, I mistakenly made it so it will give Sub-Weapon Ammo any time it made impact with ANYTHING. It was only supposed to grant ammo when the player successfully hits an enemy! I did fix it, but I didn't update the dev version with the fix. I will do so now!

In other news, I am getting closer to a stable release and the to do list grows shorter each day! The biggest things I need to do are to revamp just a few more weapons, and add the optional reload feature to the rest of the weapons. I am just wondering if I should hold back on some features I had planned for this update, such as adding in one or two extra enemy replacements, and adding a few more new weapons.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Best of luck; I presume it only works with DOOM/DOOM2
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

AvzinElkein wrote:Best of luck; I presume it only works with DOOM/DOOM2
For the moment, yes. I do want to add in support for at least Heretic at some point. After I release this update, I am going to work on a simple weapon replacement mod for Heretic, so hopefully it will scratch that itch for those who are fans of Heretic, but feel there are too few mods for it.

Here is a small webm of a WIP weapon so far, in case anyone was interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/45sbfqjdn8i6z ... .webm?dl=0

This doesn't mean that this will be the last update for Bullet-Eye, however! I still have a lot more planned for it, such as adding a form of progression once a weapon is at L3, since I see not as many people use the Pistol Start option as I thought.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”