Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
25%
Area
6%
Rapid
31%
Tech
25%
Support
No votes
Melee
13%

Total votes: 16

Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.7 - v1 Enemy Mod!

Post by Wivicer »

No, that's entirely correct. The same thing will happen if you type "give supershotgun" in the console while playing DOOM.WAD
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

So this monsters pack is not compatible with Doom.wad-related mapsets?
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Mere_Duke wrote:So this monsters pack is not compatible with Doom.wad-related mapsets?
As far as I know, it should be compatible, but you won't see the full enemy roster, such as Chaingunner replacements, and cannot use any Doom II related weapons/items.
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

This topic is locked.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

JadedLexi wrote:This topic is locked.
I call shenanigans.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

On this day? 6 days before my B-Ball day? Aren't you ashamed?
JadedLexi

Post by JadedLexi »

Mor'Ladim wrote:
On this day? 6 days before my B-Ball day? Aren't you ashamed?
[No]
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well... We all do some mistakes eventually. Righte? :P
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Hello, friends! Small progress update here...

Since the Zombieman option is winning in the poll, I've started working on a Zombieman replacement.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/fftodcK[/imgur]
(Click for a non-low quality view)
Two sizes are displayed for easier viewing. The top row is the original sprite, from the game 'Eradicator'. Below are my edits! For a Zombieman, this design does look neat, if I do say so myself.

Now on to other plans. As it stands now, the Flash Guard does not seem to see much use. Therefore, I have an idea which could help make it into a useful ability. I was planning to make the shield itself stay activated indefinitely, until the player presses the key again, or a new meter is fully drained. I can either have a separate meter that controls the Flash Guard, where it will drain when held out, and also while taking damage. Alternatively, I can make it tied to shields (armor), adding more strategic gameplay and a useful defensive option in several situations. If tied to armor, it will not drain from enemy damage in order to make it more fair. Any thoughts on this?

Another suggestion I've received is related to weapons, and will add some much needed difficulty to the game (depending on the mapset). This idea would give each weapon it's own 'usage meter', in that overusing the weapon will cause it to overheat, and to cool it off, you must either switch to another weapon slot, or grab another weapon powerup altogether. There could also be equipment items created to alter this mechanic, such as causing your last 'cooled' weapon to deal additional damage if your other two slots are overheated.

These are just some ideas I am going to test out, and if they do end up being interesting enough to keep, there will always be the option to disable them for players who do not enjoy such limitations.

Hope you've all been enjoying the mod, and look forward to seeing what's next!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Ooooh what a nice improvement! Now i can see his awesome and hardboiled gasmask!
przemko27

Post by przemko27 »

For some reason the HUD doesn't seem to appear properly for me.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

przemko27 wrote:For some reason the HUD doesn't seem to appear properly for me.
I wonder if it is related to the latest version of GZDoom. I myself have not downloaded it yet, so I am not entirely sure. Would it be possible to take a screenshot of the problem?
przemko27

Post by przemko27 »

Mor'Ladim wrote:
I wonder if it is related to the latest version of GZDoom. I myself have not downloaded it yet, so I am not entirely sure. Would it be possible to take a screenshot of the problem?
There doesn't seem to be anything to really screenshot. The mod's HUD just doesn't seem show up. The equipment screen works, though.
przemko27

Post by przemko27 »

Mor'Ladim wrote:
Apparently this was related to the video mode (resolution/aspect ration) setting, as fiddling with it seems to have fixed the issue.

Edit: namely, the 5:4 aspect ratio seems to break the hud.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Just wanted to give a small update here...

Yes, I AM still working on this! There hasn't been an update for quite some time, but it's definitely not abandoned!

I've received some much needed feedback, and am currently updating or revamping quite a number of weapons. Too many weapons effects felt similar to the Spitfire, in that they usually just resulted in a scatter of projectiles being released after impact. Therefore, I am working on either making certain L2 or L3 effects baseline for a weapon (Buster, for example), or giving a weapon a total revamp. (Rapid Vulcan being an example) This is being done for two reasons:
1.) To make weapons feel more interesting and fun to use - with attempts to make each unique and no longer having some feel similar, as opposed to before.
2.) For those unfamiliar with the mod, choices won't affect the player as negatively as before. For example, say you have a weapon at L3, and you swap out to another at L1. Say a new player takes that L1 weapon to the next map - they finally manage to level it up, but feel it wasn't worth leaving their previous weapon behind in another map, as the effects of said weapon don't fit with their playstyle, or isn't a good fit with the current map. With the coming changes, such a situation won't have as big of an impact, as a weapon would have useful effects even at level 1, rather than having to wait until a higher level to unlock any features of it.

Of course, not EVERY weapon may receive such updates, as some are already fine as is, or others would feel out of place having an effect just for the sake of it.

Using the examples above, here are previews of what changes are in development:
OLD
Buster - Shoots out at a medium range and explodes in place.
L2 - Causes a large explosion once the main projectile dissipates.
L3 - Causes 4 smaller burst shots to fire out after the initial explosion.

NEW
Buster - Shoots out at a medium range and explodes in place. If at least 4 enemies are hit at once, the end explosion is powered.
L2 - Causes 4 smaller burst shots to fire out after the initial explosion.
L3 - Firing at the smaller burst shots triggers a larger explosion.
---
OLD
Rapid Vulcan - Fires in bursts of 5.
L2 - Enables critical strikes.
L3 - A burst of shots are released in random directions upon dealing a critical strike. Some of these shots can chain.

NEW
Rapid Vulcan - Fires in bursts of 5. Shots mark targets, causing them to take extra damage from Sub-Weapons.
L2 - Marks slain with a Sub-Weapon restore partial Sub-Weapon Ammo. Improves Sub-Weapon recovery time.
L3 - Hold fire to target up to 8 enemies and release to shoot.

Next up, I am updating the weapon information panel. The drawback of this change will only allow the currently selected weapon to show, and not all three at the same time.

(Click for a larger image)
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/Cf7AEDc[/imgur]

However, with this change, more information about a weapon can be displayed on a single page. As you can see, there is much more room for level effects now, so if there are ever L4 effects or possibly more, there would be no problem adding them in! Perhaps even more weapon slots as well? The weapon type (Rapid, Area, Power, etc.) is also displayed, as previously there was no information about them in-game at all, so players would have no idea of what they meant, unless they read that section of this topic. Towards the bottom is a weapon experience bar, which will increase as you kill enemies or pick up duplicate weapon powerups. Completing the first portion of the bar will cause any L1 weapon of that type to always start at L2 when picked up, while a completely filled bar causes picked up L1 weapons to start at L3. This will ease the choice of weapon swapping, and also give those who do not use the pistol start option a form of progression! There is also a nifty weapon graphic for each weapon, courtesy of HyperUltra64!

Other than the updated weapon panel, the rest of the changes are in the current dev build, along with the Zombieman replacement. If you would like to test these changes, simply download the dev build from the first page!

Thank you for playing!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”