Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
25%
Area
6%
Rapid
31%
Tech
25%
Support
No votes
Melee
13%

Total votes: 16

legendrodrigo

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.7 - Candy Capsule

Post by legendrodrigo »

Holy shit. SNES Bram Stoker Dracula intro song, amazing!
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Someone64 wrote:EDIT: It seems that the scrap cannon is lacking an L1 description.
Also, if you hit an enemy with an L3 (and maybe L2?) Reaver and the thing's long gone already, alt-firing still activates (or tries to since nothing comes out) its split ability.
L2 description of cluster bomb is broken.
Fixed those issues! Thanks!

Also, I will hopefully try to get that starter pistol replacement in over the weekend. I also want to do a lives type system for Arcade Mode, so that if you lose all your lives, you lose your entire arsenal and equipment, as opposed to just losing one weapon level when you die. It will be an option that can be toggled, of course, in case players don't enjoy the idea.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Bullet-Eye + Mikk's Champions + Demon Counterstrike = Arcade-like Experience, with a dab of Suicide Bullets!
Excellent work, morladim!

also, after using the bullet-eye with the disable custom map music on, it still goes back to playing the custom map musics. is that intentional? or a bug?
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

YukesVonFaust wrote:Bullet-Eye + Mikk's Champions + Demon Counterstrike = Arcade-like Experience, with a dab of Suicide Bullets!
Excellent work, morladim!

also, after using the bullet-eye with the disable custom map music on, it still goes back to playing the custom map musics. is that intentional? or a bug?
Definitely a bug. I first found out about it during a stream someone did of the mod. I wrote it down and all, but it just slipped my mind, since I was working on a lot of other things at the time. Thanks for reminding me! Glad you're enjoying the update!
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Found a major bug: levels that force pistol starts completely break the weapon set. It repeatedly upgrades any slot containing the basic weapon (and the shuriken sub-weapon if you still have it) and ruins the equipment info screen. Was playing it with the 20 monsters map pack when this happened.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Someone64 wrote:Found a major bug: levels that force pistol starts completely break the weapon set. It repeatedly upgrades any slot containing the basic weapon (and the shuriken sub-weapon if you still have it) and ruins the equipment info screen. Was playing it with the 20 monsters map pack when this happened.
Thanks for that! That problem was there before, but fixed it. Or, I thought I did! I guess I didn't take mapsets that already enforce pistol starts into account. I did some test runs with the fixes, and it seems like things should be working now.

Going to see if I can make some changes to the Spitfire weapon tomorrow. I am just not sure if it will be classed as a Power family weapon rather than Rapid once I change up some things! I also have plans to add in an interesting game mode, which should add a bit of entertainment. Hoping I can pull it off!
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

I have discovered a strange, yet totally awesome bug:

https://imgur.com/EaXrPxr

I did this by holding down Fire, Altfire, and Flash Guard at the same time (initially pressed in that order).
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Tesculpture wrote:I have discovered a strange, yet totally awesome bug:

https://imgur.com/EaXrPxr

I did this by holding down Fire, Altfire, and Flash Guard at the same time (initially pressed in that order).
OH! Yes, there will be some problems like that still sneaking around. See what happens when you position the Flash Guard under a crusher! I had plans to change up the Flash Guard a bit, such as removing Health Augment spawns on a successful block. In return, I would make the Flash Guard much more responsive and usable at any time during a weapon's fire state. This would lead to a better parry system, and also further enable animation cancelling, which is popular with some players. Perhaps I can also make a weapon fire its next shot (next few shots for Rapid weapons) faster after a parry.

Whatever the outcome, I intend to make the Flash Guard feel a lot better than it currently does.

Thank you for the feedback!
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

Perhaps, when Score Mode is enabled, successful blocks could earn you coins? As for this bug, I was kinda hoping you'd leave it in as a...hidden bonus feature.

Let me just say the enemy designs are spot on. The Aberwraithers and Phase Reapers are excellently creepy, and wouldn't look out of place in Unloved or Soundless Mound. The Aberwraithers in particular remind me of the Phantoms from Prey.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Tesculpture wrote:Perhaps, when Score Mode is enabled, successful blocks could earn you coins? As for this bug, I was kinda hoping you'd leave it in as a...hidden bonus feature.

Let me just say the enemy designs are spot on. The Aberwraithers and Phase Reapers are excellently creepy, and wouldn't look out of place in Unloved or Soundless Mound. The Aberwraithers in particular remind me of the Phantoms from Prey.
I'll most likely just keep it in, as I do like those little unintended things players find in games that lead to some nice techniques and strategies. Speaking of hidden bonus features, I did want to add in some undocumented special attack combinations for certain weapons.

Yes, I think the Aberwraither and Phase Reaper are my favorite enemies so far. I like to give each enemy at least one special attack and little quirk, so they don't just seem like a reskin. The Phase Reaper for example, has an attack counter each time it moves. When it reaches a certain amount, it will do a ranged attack. Causing it to enter its pain state will also boost this counter! This can lead to it being really aggressive at times. The Gargant (Spectre) can only become visible if more than 50 damage or so is dealt in one attack, or it is forced out of stealth with something like the Riskbreaker Armor. It can also slowly regenerate its health when it goes berserk! I'm hoping I can make the other enemy replacements just as engaging and unique.

Speaking of enemies, I started work on the enemy only portion of the mod. All I need to do is add in the proper death frames, and remove any Bullet-Eye only code, and I should have an early release!
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

*Messing around with L3 Crush Blast*

*Randomly fires a shot into a wall right in front of him, then accidentally Flash Guards the explosion*

*The Crush Blast explosion and the Flash Guard interact to create a tear in the fabric of reality, out of which an endless waterfall torrent of Health Augments pours forth*

*Framerate quickly grinds to a halt*

*Saves the day by typing "remove FlashGuardShield" into the console, thus stopping the waterfall torrent*
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Tesculpture wrote:*Messing around with L3 Crush Blast*

*Randomly fires a shot into a wall right in front of him, then accidentally Flash Guards the explosion*

*The Crush Blast explosion and the Flash Guard interact to create a tear in the fabric of reality, out of which an endless waterfall torrent of Health Augments pours forth*

*Framerate quickly grinds to a halt*

*Saves the day by typing "remove FlashGuardShield" into the console, thus stopping the waterfall torrent*
OH! I really need to try and fix that. I actually managed to trigger that myself a while back when blocking a Dread Visage's shot. Further attempts to do so failed, so I wasn't sure exactly how it was triggered. I am working on some things in the mod this very moment, so I will see if I can manage to fix it by tonight! Thank you for the report!

Also, I doing the basic groundwork of an optional ammo usage system. It worked so far when I tried it out with the Spitfire, but I'll need to make an ammo system where only ammo for weapons you currently hold will drop, and not just any weapon. I have an idea of how to do it too, so it shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish! One of the main reasons I wanted to make ammo items is because I like ammo collection sounds in some games, so I was looking forward to giving each pick up its own sounds. Once again, this ammo system is going to be optional, so it's not something that players will be forced in to. Next, I'll have to work on reloads, as that seemed to be a popular poll option when I put it up last year.
Mor'Ladim

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.7 - v1 Enemy Mod!

Post by Mor'Ladim »

I've just released the first version of the enemy only mod! I would love to hear any feedback or bug reports players may have. Note that no enemy has XDeath states.

You can set some options for some of the enemies, changing their behavior or aggression level.

Download Bullet-Eye Enemy Mod

Below are some lore entries for the enemies:
Spoiler:
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Regarding monsters-only version: If I load DOOM.WAD, I have fully functioning SSG but with no sprites)
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Mere_Duke wrote:Regarding monsters-only version: If I load DOOM.WAD, I have fully functioning SSG but with no sprites)
That may be because you are loading Doom I, and not Doom II. Though, that is just my guess, so I apologize if the problem lies elsewhere.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”