Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
29%
Area
6%
Rapid
29%
Tech
24%
Support
No votes
Melee
12%

Total votes: 17

Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.6 - Killin' Tunes

Post by Mor'Ladim »

insightguy wrote:Can you please find a way to make it optional? I like to play this in more monster filled maps and reloading can be a bit of a mood-killer on such situations.
Definitely! That was always my intent to do so. In fact, that's why I haven't mapped anything to the WeaponState3 key, as much as I've been tempted to do so, as I plan to move the equipment panel screen activation to that key if reloading is enabled. Of course, if reloading is enabled, the Reload key will do just that!

Hopefully I can include all of the options that were listed in the poll, but if I can only pull off one, I am sure the "Overwatch" style would be the easiest to accomplish.

Previous poll options and results for reference:
Spoiler:
I've also had ideas to make some elements into more of a loot-based shooter. Basically more dropped items that can customize weapons and perhaps equipment. I am afraid that would take away from the arcade style feel of the mod, however. So if this is something I'd ever do, I'd probably make them options that can be enabled/disabled at will.

Also, new poll up asking a simple question!
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

So, apparently Flame Bloom Darts freeze GZDoom 3.2.3 when hitting arachnotrons.
Also, one of the helmet pickups gives you every other helmet.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Ikazu-san wrote:So, apparently Flame Bloom Darts freeze GZDoom 3.2.3 when hitting arachnotrons.
Also, one of the helmet pickups gives you every other helmet.
WELP, that's what I get for rushing out an update before my work shift. I'll fix it when I get home in about 2 hours. My apologies, and thank you for the report.
Last edited by Mor'Ladim on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Little addendum: Please make spawn position of loot dropped by bosses somewhat random, so they all don't clump together into a singularity.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Update with the fixes has been released! Sorry for the trouble, folks.
Ikazu-san wrote:Little addendum: Please make spawn position of loot dropped by bosses somewhat random, so they all don't clump together into a singularity.
Hmm...I changed the drop style to Strife so that the power ups scatter out more when dropped by enemies. Are they still too clumped?
Ikazu-san

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.6b - Killin' Tune

Post by Ikazu-san »

Mor'Ladim wrote:Hmm...I changed the drop style to Strife so that the power ups scatter out more when dropped by enemies. Are they still too clumped?
Actually, it was my mistake. As it turn out, the megawad I've been testing with sets compat_notossdrops to 1 for some reason.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

So far I love this mod!
I also listened to a few tracks randomly using the key-bind option.
But since i'm not aware of some tracks, it's hard to indicate which game they are from.
Can you add track names(like in optional jukeboxes) in the next update?
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

HEY FOLKS! So after receiving some feedback, the conclusion is that at the moment with this mod, once you obtain a weapon set you are comfortable with, there is no reason to switch over to any other, especially when your current weapons are already powered up. Unless of course you were using the pistol start option, but that style of play is definitely not for everyone!

Therefore, TerminusEst13 and I have been in super secret talks of revamping the weapon system. There will no longer be two weapon slots, but 5. These weapon slots will follow the same style of the original Doom/Doom II, or other weapon mods, in that each weapon will be placed in a category with similar weapons of that style. For example, in Doom II, you have your close/mid-range Shotgun and Super Shotgun in one weapon slot - and using the revamped system, for Bullet-Eye, you will find weapons such as the Spread Shot, Blaze Stream and Scrap Launcher in that one slot, and only those weapons can be exchanged with another in that category. You will still only be able to carry one of each weapon in any category with this new system. The Weapon Capsules will be color coded to determine what slot that weapon will occupy. Chaingun weapon placements in maps, for example, will spawn the purple Rapid Weapon Capsule.

Here are the proposed weapon category changes:
-LONG RANGE- (Blue Capsule/Arrow Icon)
Spitfire
Quick Strike
Winged Reaver

-MID-RANGE- (Yellow Capsule/UH...)
Spread Shot
Buster
Blaze Stream
Scrap Launcher
Triple Wyvern

-RAPID- (Purple Capsule/Bullet Trio Icon)
Rapid Vulcan
Viper Wave
Repeater

-AREA DAMAGE- (Green Capsule/Explosion Icon)
Crush Blast
Storm Grenade
Volley Shot

-HOMING- (Red Capsule/Crosshair Pickup Icon)
Chaser Missile
Hunting Laser
Enemies will still drop all weapon types, and there will be something special planned for BFG spawns. I wish I had more time to write up more details or better explain some things, but what do you all think of the planned changes? Is this something you think you would enjoy? Would Bullet-Eye still feel arcade-like? I am eager to hear your feedback!
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Ehh, to be honest, a third weapon slot is my limit to it still feeling arcadey and seperating into categories just makes this feel like any other regular weapon mod. I don't like it, sorry.
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

I still switch weapons pretty often, even if I have an "optimal" loadout
john190

Post by john190 »

What WAD should I play with this?
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

john190 wrote:What WAD should I play with this?
There are a variety of mapsets I've personally enjoyed while giving my mod a test run or just normal playthrough. I find megawads with smaller maps quite enjoyable, though that may be my biased opinion since I am not too fond of large maps.

Here are some suggestions:

Scythe - Really fun, but due to the nature of the mod, you may be able to blaze through it rather quickly, save for the later maps.
Scythe 2 - Same deal as Scythe, but will definitely last longer.
Congestion 1024 - Very small maps, but there is no shortage on fun! Excellent if you want to play in short bursts.
TVR Revolution - A personal favorite, this mapset focuses on urban environments in the earlier maps, while also throwing in some interesting maps later.

I'm planning to add in more options that will allow the mod to become more versatile with certain mapsets, such as slaughter maps, as those can pose to be quite the challenge without any sort of damage reduction.
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

Alien Vendetta works pretty well, even in the very slaughter-y maps
john190

Post by john190 »

I would like to report a bug. When I use the syringe sub-weapon on an arachnotron the gzdoom crashes.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

john190 wrote:I would like to report a bug. When I use the syringe sub-weapon on an arachnotron the gzdoom crashes.
Alright, I KNOW I fixed that bug. Perhaps I only did so on my development file? Anyway, thanks for the report! Fixed it, and uploaded a new version. And in order for this not to just be a small update and annoy people with the constant need to download fixes...Have some more map music and quality of life changes!
v0.9.6c - 12/26/17
=WEAPONS=
+BULLET-EYE+
-Kills now grant some health.

=SUB-WEAPONS=
+FLAME BLOOM DARTS+
-Fixed crashing issues when used on Arachnotrons. FOR REAL THIS TIME!

=EQUIPMENT=
-Sensory Combat Helmet now takes an increased amount of Bullet-Eye Energy when the mode is cancelled early.

=ITEMS=
-Strike Orbs now have the BRIGHT flag for better visibility in darkened areas. NOCLIP flag (?) has been removed, and orbs will no longer have a chance to become stuck in walls when dropped from enemies.
-Weapon Capsules now toss their extra weapon further when Scavenger's Leather Gloves are equipped.

=ENEMIES=
+GARGANT+
-New ability, "Burst of Speed".
+DREAD VISAGE+
-Eye effects given BRIGHT flag.

=MISC.=
-Added new menu sounds.
-Changed level complete track.
-Added 26 new map music tracks. Replaced some of the less upbeat/action-packed songs.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”