Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
29%
Area
6%
Rapid
29%
Tech
24%
Support
No votes
Melee
12%

Total votes: 17

Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Re: Bullet-Eye (A SNES/Retro Style Project) -Free Poll Insid

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Hey there, I'm not dead! I've been pretty busy working on this. In fact, here is a preview video of some of the upcoming changes:

As you can see in the video, I've changed some effects for a few of the weapons. These weapons previously had 'increases range' or 'increases firing speed' effects on them, and that's just boring, so I want to move away from effects like that. These weapons have either received a total revamp, or the previous range/speed modifiers were combined into one level, with a new effect included. There are still a few others I need to change, so what is displayed in the video definitely isn't all of them!

I've also increased the firing speed for all weapons across the board, thus making the mod even more faster paced and arcade-like! I've utilized ACS KILL scripts as well, so you can gain Bullet-Eye Energy from any enemy kill, even those from custom monster mods, which will add semi-compatibility with such mods! In the future, Bullet-Eye will use custom monsters itself, so be on the look out for that down the road.

I plan to release the next update when I create a few new sub-weapons (of which I already have planned out), and more equipment. Hope you will all enjoy what's to come!
Atendega

Post by Atendega »

All of these changes look really excellent, you've addressed a lot of the issues I had with certain weapons. It continues to really capture that arcade-y shoot 'em up feel.

One thing, though: any chance the HUD will ever be able to adapt to widescreen resolutions?
Jigstraw

Post by Jigstraw »

Looks good! With the next update, you should start putting the version number in the topic's title so I can tell when it's been udpated at a glance :D
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

Amazing mod, much more interesting than contra-doom!
Can you please replace hitscan enemies with projectile-shooting à la doom 4?
Albertoni

Post by Albertoni »

Got a little bug report. Haven't read through the whole thread, so sorry if it's a repost:
Have a non-full bullet-eye gauge. Hold down fire with a slower weapon (in my case it was volley shot) and keep tapping the key to activate bullet eye. You'll fire way faster sometimes, and other times it won't work.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Atendega wrote:One thing, though: any chance the HUD will ever be able to adapt to widescreen resolutions?
I'll see what I can do!
Jigstraw wrote:With the next update, you should start putting the version number in the topic's title so I can tell when it's been udpated at a glance :D
Will do! Not sure where to start off though. 0.8?
NotSoHazy wrote:Can you please replace hitscan enemies with projectile-shooting à la doom 4?
Interestingly, I was actually planning on doing this. I was going to have the Zombiemen shoot Spitfire shots, Shotgunners Spread Shots, and the Chaingunner/Spider Mastermind fire Rapid Vulcan shots, and have those enemies have a higher chance to drop their respective weapons.
Albertoni wrote:Got a little bug report. Haven't read through the whole thread, so sorry if it's a repost:
Have a non-full bullet-eye gauge. Hold down fire with a slower weapon (in my case it was volley shot) and keep tapping the key to activate bullet eye. You'll fire way faster sometimes, and other times it won't work.
Not a repost, but it was brought to my attention in Discord last month. I am in the process of fixing that bug and it will be in the next update. And if you think that's fast, try holding alt-fire and fire at the same time when you have a sub-weapon but not enough ammo!

Also, as mentioned in my last post, in regards to making all weapons fire faster, I played the mod a bit with Chillax, and I thought I needed to make them fire even faster. So I did! Not that Chillax is really the type of WAD to test out balance changes, but I think the even faster firing will add to the arcade feel further.

Thank you all for your feedback and support!
Albertoni

Post by Albertoni »

Mor'Ladim wrote:I played the mod a bit with Chillax, and I thought I needed to make them fire even faster. So I did! Not that Chillax is really the type of WAD to test out balance changes, but I think the even faster firing will add to the arcade feel further.
Hah, you're right on both things. Arcade is usually a lot of weak shots, or alternatively a very slow (or limited in some other way), powerful shot. Even the explosive weapons in this seem a bit too weak. I wouldn't mind if explosives were slower but did way more damage, since after all, you're stuck with only one weapon for all kinds of situations.
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

Mor'Ladim wrote:Interestingly, I was actually planning on doing this. I was going to have the Zombiemen shoot Spitfire shots, Shotgunners Spread Shots, and the Chaingunner/Spider Mastermind fire Rapid Vulcan shots
That's would be truly great, if you ask me. Full arcade experience, this is must be in mod like this.
Don't care about drop chance though.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

For those interested, I am planning to do a two part update this time around. I want to just get what I have out right now since it's been a while, and I am eager to release some bug fixes and quality of life changes. If all goes well, the first part should come out later today, or tomorrow at the latest. This will have most of the current weapon changes/revamps and some other changes that will make this mod enjoyable overall. For example, all hitscanners now shoot projectiles, you can choose to disable custom music of the mod so you can play maps that utilize music changes or music mods without any problems, widescreen support, and three new primary weapons to play with!

I say this is a two part update, for the next part shouldn't take too long to finish, as I already have the concepts, some code, and art planned out for what I wish to add. This second update will include some new sub-weapons and equipment. I will also make an attempt to allow two primary weapons to be carried rather than just one. Hopefully you will all enjoy what's coming!

Also, here is a nearly finished weapon sprite that will come in a future update:

NotSoHazy

Re: Bullet-Eye (A SNES/Retro Style Project)

Post by NotSoHazy »

do want!
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Awesome, looking forward to it.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

I had to rush this a bit at the last minute, so some elements for the 16:9 and 16:10 may be incorrect. I am pretty sure it's only for some equipment pieces though. Anyway, hope you enjoy! I will update the main post with the new weapon info once I am able.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Please let me know if you think anything is under/overpowered! Thank you for your time!
Last edited by Mor'Ladim on Fri May 26, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hetdegon

Re: Bullet-Eye (A SNES/Retro Style Project) v0.9

Post by Hetdegon »

Gave it a quick run and so far, so good. (also somehow I didn't notice flash guard was a thing in the previous release...better late than never!) there are some balance issues here and there, though:

To put it simple, the spitfire doesn't suck anymore. In fact it doesn't suck...a bit too much. It's so easy to upgrade that it becomes *really* powerful, and I was mowing down entire rooms full of imps/demons/soldiers without any effort. The same applies to the spread shot. I normally don't consider it an issue when a weapon is too powerful, but I kinda felt I didn't "earn" that power, being dropped from mooks that are everywhere. Perhaps keeping its power as-is but not dropping it from regular enemies might help balance it.

As for the new weapons, Triple Wyvern (which lacks an info blurb), which was terrible at low levels, with no accuracy whatsoever, and pretty decent at max level. Definitely a weapon for short range until lv.3, where it's pretty nice, although not my favorite.

The Viper Wave is in turn one of my new favorites. Looks great (specially with bloom enabled), and works pretty nicely. At lv.3 it's really potent and I love the added effect.

I also got the repeater (which happened to have both its description and what seems like the triple wyvern's, in the info screen, meaning it's kinda hard to read. Probably an easy fix) This one is clearly way too powerful. At lv.1 I was decimating mancubi in no time. Seems kind of rare, but hm, being that strong at lv.1 with no downsides whatsoever is a bit too much, specially since it kind of overlaps with and overshadows the rapid vulcan (and Bullet Eye to an extent). You'd never consider picking up the vulcan with the prospect of the repeater being around. At higher levels the effects look awesome, but it doesn't feel like it improves, it's like equally strong, but flashier.

On the other hand the weapons being very strong does feel very arcadey, and I'm surely gonna attempt to give a shot at Sunder or Sunlust or something with this. I just feel a bit bad some of the fast weapons render stuff like the Buster or Crush Blast kind of..."eh", though. But on to the other, other hand, while the Bullet Eye mode feels potent enough now, it's kind of overshadowed by how powerful some of the rapid-fire weapons are, specially considering the wind-up time.
For how it's presented, one would think the Bullet Eye is your trump card, your ultimate weapon, but I found I mostly activated it because I wanted some sweet tunes (...the mapset I ran my test into had terribad midis...) or a change of pace from my current weapon.

In other things, the added visual effects, new weapon sprites and new tunes (I heard some Thunder Force in there, not sure if they are the new tracks, but I love you already) make it pretty excellent. It's always pretty hyping to enable Bullet Eye in a time of dire need and get some Contra Hard Corps or Thunder Force blaring as you mow down hordes. There's also a certain irony in that a mod using a SNES-like cover mostly uses Mega Drive music :P
I think the presentation is top-notch and I love the mod. It's still a bit rough in terms of balance, but don't let my review bring you down, those things are ironed out over time.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Thanks for the feedback!
Hetdegon wrote:I normally don't consider it an issue when a weapon is too powerful, but I kinda felt I didn't "earn" that power, being dropped from mooks that are everywhere. Perhaps keeping its power as-is but not dropping it from regular enemies might help balance it.
Noted! I removed the weapon specific drops from those enemies.
As for the new weapons, Triple Wyvern (which lacks an info blurb), which was terrible at low levels, with no accuracy whatsoever, and pretty decent at max level. Definitely a weapon for short range until lv.3, where it's pretty nice, although not my favorite.
Yes, it's supposed to be a powerful close range weapon, but also very inaccurate. Perhaps once I finish the system where more than one weapon can be held, will it truly shine! I still want to see if I can make something more unique for the L3.
The Viper Wave is in turn one of my new favorites. Looks great (specially with bloom enabled), and works pretty nicely. At lv.3 it's really potent and I love the added effect.
Glad you enjoy it! I actually removed the damage over time effect on the Spread Shot because this weapon made it seem redundant.

I also got the repeater (which happened to have both its description and what seems like the triple wyvern's, in the info screen, meaning it's kinda hard to read. Probably an easy fix) This one is clearly way too powerful. At lv.1 I was decimating mancubi in no time......At higher levels the effects look awesome, but it doesn't feel like it improves, it's like equally strong, but flashier.
I've toned down the damage for the base shots, and increased the damage on the L3 larger shots. The L2 damage I will leave as is for now, since it fires a ripper that leaves multiple area damage projectiles, and will probably eat through larger enemies like a lawnmower through a stack of pancakes! Oh, and I fixed the info screen bug. This is what happens when you rush, people!
But on to the other, other hand, while the Bullet Eye mode feels potent enough now, it's kind of overshadowed by how powerful some of the rapid-fire weapons are, specially considering the wind-up time.
For how it's presented, one would think the Bullet Eye is your trump card, your ultimate weapon, but I found I mostly activated it because I wanted some sweet tunes
I plan to add in some things like using alt-fire to refresh the Strike Orbs obtained when activating Bullet-Eye. There is also a nice idea I had for an equipment item that will change the type of projectiles fired from Bullet-Eye, depending on the Strike Orb you pick up. For now, I've increased the damage a bit further.
There's also a certain irony in that a mod using a SNES-like cover mostly uses Mega Drive music :P
Yes, that was noted before and I do want to use more SNES tracks, but as far as I know, there is no site such as Project 2612 for SNES songs that can be easily previewed from within said site. I know there is SNES Music.org, but you'd have to download the tracks first before being able to listen to them. I've been playing this a bit with the SNES music randomizer however, so perhaps I can find some nice tunes from there and add them in to Bullet-Eye!

EDIT: Added some fixes and changes! This won't be a version number change due to it being so small.
5/26/17
=WEAPONS=
+REPEATER+
-Damage and fire rate reduced. L3 large shots now deals more damage.
+BULLET-EYE MODE+
-Damage has been increased further.
=EQUIPMENT=
-Riskbreaker Armor can now trigger while firing.
=ENEMIES=
-Enemies no longer drop the same weapon type they are using. For example, Zombiemen no longer drop Spitfire weapons.
=MISC.=
-Fixed incorrect UI offsets for 16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratios.
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Did another run on a hard map with the current version and yeah, much better.
Couldn't find a Viper Wave but did pretty well using the Quick Strike. I didn't notice last time, but it's really good now, I also love how it looks. The Repeater feels much better balanced now, and weapons feel more valuable when you can't just get a lv.3 spitfire/spread in the first rooms of a megawad. It felt pretty good overall. I found Bullet Eye to be far more valuable now, specially when needing to dispose of a cyberdemon or the typical room full of revenants.

In terms of subweapons I seem to end up always settling for the Cross Mine. It's really good and looks pretty nice, specially after the latest changes.

As a little wish for future updates, I found that some dynamic lights would be a pretty welcomed addition. Also the Buster is perhaps the most underwhelming weapon around. I love it to bits, but every time I get it I end up changing for something stronger because it just doesn't perform very well. Seems to overlap heavily with the Crush Blast, which does better damage and is, somehow, more efficient at clearing large amount of, say, imps. And the Storm Grenade as well (barring the parabolic trajectory).

As for the music, well, don't take the irony bit as a criticism. I grew up with a lot of the music featured here, so it feels good to me. Got a couple of extremely fitting ones in a few dire situations and it was just *right*.

Anyway, it's a great mod, definitely one of my favorites. I look forward to see how it evolves!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”