Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
29%
Area
6%
Rapid
29%
Tech
24%
Support
No votes
Melee
12%

Total votes: 17

Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.4 - New Neighbors

Post by Mor'Ladim »

insightguy wrote:Nice scans! Which magazine did you get it from? Game Winner? PC Area? Gamer's Pro?
Electronic Gaming Monthly, actually!

WELL, I just found out that when the Archvile raises the Bounder, it actually makes mini Demons. I will definitely fix that in the next update! Though, truth be told, I believe the Archvile replacement won't have any kind of resurrection ability, as that is not really something you'd see in a retro game. It will still be a tough encounter to make up for the loss, though!
Jigstraw

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.4b - New Neighbor

Post by Jigstraw »

Spoiler:
actual scripting issue or do I need to change my GZDoom version?

Edit: updated gzdoom, working fine now.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Jigstraw wrote:
Spoiler:
actual scripting issue or do I need to change my GZDoom version?

Edit: updated gzdoom, working fine now.
Oh, I was just about to reply asking which version you were using. Glad it worked out, and I hope you enjoy the update!

Also, I am working on this:

insightguy

Post by insightguy »

FINALY!

That part was kinda annoying when I had a weapon that I wanted but had to sacrifice a weapon I liked that i already had due to the arbitrary slot randomization.

P.S.(though couldn't you do it contra style instead? maybe give the player an inventory that can tell if they selected the first or second slot then give the weapon accordingly?)
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

insightguy wrote: P.S.(though couldn't you do it contra style instead? maybe give the player an inventory that can tell if they selected the first or second slot then give the weapon accordingly?)
I'm a dummy when it comes to coding, so when I did try to code such a system, each attempt went horribly awry. In the (near?) future, I can probably just employ a friend to help me out with it so it won't seem so awkward of a system. But for now, although it is a little unconventional, it works and is better than the one weapon limit that the mod had before!

Oh, and I REALLY should get those Quick Strike and Storm Grenade weapon graphic replacements in.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Mor'Ladim wrote:
insightguy wrote: P.S.(though couldn't you do it contra style instead? maybe give the player an inventory that can tell if they selected the first or second slot then give the weapon accordingly?)
I'm a dummy when it comes to coding, so when I did try to code such a system, each attempt went horribly awry. In the (near?) future, I can probably just employ a friend to help me out with it so it won't seem so awkward of a system. But for now, although it is a little unconventional, it works and is better than the one weapon limit that the mod had before!

Oh, and I REALLY should get those Quick Strike and Storm Grenade weapon graphic replacements in.
IIRC, Contra Doom does exactly what you're looking for. Maybe you could look at the code from that?
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

dawnbreez wrote:IIRC, Contra Doom does exactly what you're looking for. Maybe you could look at the code from that?
I'm actually in the process of making the system better, after receiving help from insightguy! When I finish, there would be no need for special slot two powerups, and switching out a second weapon would just require the player to switch to their current slot two weapon before picking up a new one. It will be great in the long run, as adding new weapons will be easier than before, as the coding is much cleaner and would require less work overall. The filesize should drop just a tad also, once finished.

In other news, my vacation starts on Friday, so I'll be working on Bullet-Eye a ton during that one week, just as I did last year!
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

The Hunting Laser seems like it could be overpowered as it easily outclasses the damage of other weapons, especially when fully upgraded.
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

good to see this mod is still alive
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

hardly waiting for full relise
Mor'Ladim

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.5 - Stop & Swap

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Well, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I am going to upload the update that has the better weapon swapping system. No more unique Slot II pickup items! Grabbing a new weapon is now as easy as switching to whatever weapon you want to swap out. I would like to thank insightguy for the help with that!
v0.9.5 - 9/15/17
=WEAPONS=
+GENERAL+
-Removed special slot two powerups. Changing your second weapon can now be done by switching to your current slot two weapon before picking up a powerup.
-Picking up a new weapon will now automatically switch to that weapon's currently selected weapon slot.
-You can now only carry one of each weapon. Attempting to replace a slot two weapon with a Spitfire, for example, when one is already held will now add a level to whichever slot it is currently in.
-Weapons flow better into other abilities, such as using a Sub-Weapon or the Flash Guard.
+SPREAD SHOT+
-HUD weapon sprite slightly changed.
-Fire rate increased. (again) Damage reduced slightly to compensate.
-Slightly reduced spread for all levels.
+BLAZE STREAM+
-Reduced amount of special damage actors spawned from flames to alleviate potential FPS issues.
+CHASER MISSILE+
-Damage increased slightly.
+HUNTING LASER+
-L2 lasers released from capsules now have homing capabilities.
-L3 effect damage reduced.
+STORM GRENADE+
-New weapon sprite.
-L2 effect changed.
-Damage reduced slightly.
-L3 effect creates more projectiles on impact.

=SUB WEAPONS=
-Sub-Weapons now have a higher chance to cause enemies to flinch. The Energy Claws retain a 100% flinch rate.
-Scatter Bombs now always grant Bullet-Eye Energy on successful enemy hits.
-Scatter Bombs can now bounce on liquids.
-Energy Claws now grant Bullet Eye Energy on successful enemy hits.

=EQUIPMENT=
-Fixed bug where Barrier Gauntlets effect was retained after switching to another glove item.
-Fixed bug where Guard Visor would not activate.

=ENEMIES=
+GENERAL+
-New Shotgun Zombie replacement, "Crusher" added.
-Added CVar options for Bounders and Gargants.
+RIVETING BOMBADIER+
-Reduced grenade damage.
+BOUNDER+
-Increased melee damage.
-Fixed See sound not playing.
+CYCLOPTIC BRUTE+
-Increased melee damage.

=MISC.=
-Flash Guard can be activated faster, and now has a larger radius.
-Added new CVar options.
-Quick Kick ability added. It can be used by pressing UserKey 4. Intended to knock back close range enemies, the kick is quite powerful on its own.
-Increased radius of score mode items.
-Enemies can now drop Sub-Weapons.
I plan to make this a two part update. Update B will have the new Quick Strike graphics, and definitely some new weapons to play with. I only wanted to get this update out now because the current swapping system is just too awkward and I see many people had the idea that you were able to swap out unwanted weapons by selecting the one you wanted to switch. (which is how it is done now, thank goodness). And wouldn't you know it? I planned to get this update out last night, but decided to hold back and try to finish the Quick Strike HUD sprites. I am kicking myself for that, as Mr. Icarus decided to stream gameplay of this mod the next (this) morning. AH WELL!

EDIT: Uploaded a very small quick fix to squash two bugs. If you downloaded the recent update, please do so again. Sorry about that folks.
Last edited by Mor'Ladim on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Loving the update so far!
tried with Asian Impact, it was cool
KarolineDianne

Post by KarolineDianne »

Heya, this mod is super cool and I really like it! Has that same feel and polish GMOTA had, and I love that. I do have one small issue with it, though, which I hope will be an easy fix.

When you activate the Bullet Eye, its special music starts playing and that's super cool, but when you put it away... It breaks music mods. Which is to say, if I'm running a mod like NowThat'sWhatICallMidi that randomizes the music playlist through ACS, putting the Bullet Eye away reverts the level back to the default vanilla Doom2 music. I discovered this with much disappointment after making my own standalone music replacer mod using GMOTA's selection of songs specifically to use alongside this mod, as I felt it was in need of a matching soundtrack outside of the menu and Bullet Eye mode.

What's more, when I selected the option that turns off the Bullet Eye mode music, it still reverts the level back to the vanilla music when you put the weapon away. At the very least, if it's impossible to prevent the problem whilst keeping the special music turned on, would it be viable to make sure this error doesn't happen when the option is turned off? It's a huge bummer to me to go from jamming to cheesy SNES tunes to suddenly having default Doom music playing again.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

KarolineDianne wrote:Heya, this mod is super cool and I really like it! Has that same feel and polish GMOTA had, and I love that. I do have one small issue with it, though, which I hope will be an easy fix.

When you activate the Bullet Eye, its special music starts playing and that's super cool, but when you put it away... It breaks music mods. Which is to say, if I'm running a mod like NowThat'sWhatICallMidi that randomizes the music playlist through ACS, putting the Bullet Eye away reverts the level back to the default vanilla Doom2 music. I discovered this with much disappointment after making my own standalone music replacer mod using GMOTA's selection of songs specifically to use alongside this mod, as I felt it was in need of a matching soundtrack outside of the menu and Bullet Eye mode.

What's more, when I selected the option that turns off the Bullet Eye mode music, it still reverts the level back to the vanilla music when you put the weapon away. At the very least, if it's impossible to prevent the problem whilst keeping the special music turned on, would it be viable to make sure this error doesn't happen when the option is turned off? It's a huge bummer to me to go from jamming to cheesy SNES tunes to suddenly having default Doom music playing again.

That is very unfortunate, as well as odd. I just tried it with the SNES Jukebox mod, with the custom music option both on and off, and did not come across any problems (when off). I'll have to test other music mods and see if I can cause the same problem to occur. Otherwise, I was thinking of adding in music tracks to play within maps, just as how GMOTA does it.
Mister_Y_675

Post by Mister_Y_675 »

If you need an idea for the quick strike weapon a laser katana would be cool if it doesn't have to be a gun

Return to “Gameplay Mods”