Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
29%
Area
6%
Rapid
29%
Tech
24%
Support
No votes
Melee
12%

Total votes: 17

Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Re: Bullet-Eye (A SNES/Retro Style Project) v0.9.1 - I see r

Post by Mor'Ladim »

AvzinElkein wrote:Another thing: I assume Bullet-Eye won't work with Hexen or Heretic.
Not at the moment, but I am looking to have those two games compatible with the mod in the (hopefully) near future.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Mor'Ladim wrote:
AvzinElkein wrote:Another thing: I assume Bullet-Eye won't work with Hexen or Heretic.
Not at the moment, but I am looking to have those two games compatible with the mod in the (hopefully) near future.
So just DOOM and DOOM 2, correct?
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

Another idea! Scoring system! Maybe even give it some depth by making it kinda combo based. Like you can chain kills together to increase a multiplier that results in bigger point values per kill.

If only it were possible for mods to delete a save... "1 life remaining!"
If such a thing were possible it would be awesome to have it as a sort of score attack mode. But of course this cannot be done because GZDoom devs dont want people to be able to make viruses in GZDoom.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Mor'Ladim wrote:
have you tried using the /filter directory method? its surprisingly easy.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Chloroxite wrote:Another idea! Scoring system! Maybe even give it some depth by making it kinda combo based. Like you can chain kills together to increase a multiplier that results in bigger point values per kill.

If only it were possible for mods to delete a save... "1 life remaining!"
If such a thing were possible it would be awesome to have it as a sort of score attack mode. But of course this cannot be done because GZDoom devs dont want people to be able to make viruses in GZDoom.
Well hey! I was thinking of adding some kind of scoring system! Maybe even add little score items that don't affect the drops of standard items. On that note, I am going to remove Chaos Mode/Chaos Mode Ex, as I am pretty sure no one uses them, not even myself! If I can pull it off, I will turn it into 'True Arcade Mode'. This mode will cause all weapons to use ammo, so once you run out the weapon will be lost. It will also disable equipment and change up some other things for an even more arcade-like experience.
Ryuhi wrote:have you tried using the /filter directory method? its surprisingly easy.
Funnily enough, I JUST repackaged Bullet-Eye as a PK3, so making the mod compatible with Heretic/Hexen will be even easier than the original plans I had.

With all that said, I am hoping to get a new release out by the end of this week, if not earlier. As always, thanks for the feedback and I am glad you are enjoying Bullet-Eye!
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

I keep experiencing random freezes when playing this mod on QZdoom q1.3.0.1.
I think it has something to do with with Mancubus replacement.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Ikazu-san wrote:I keep experiencing random freezes when playing this mod on QZdoom q1.3.0.1.
I think it has something to do with with Mancubus replacement.
It definitely does have something to do with that enemy. I played the mod myself last night and froze while encountering two Cycloptic Brutes (Mancubus replacement) while wearing the Riskbreaker Armor. I've already fixed it, and will release a smaller update today, because I really don't like such a critical bug floating around!

And done!
v0.9.2 - 6/22/17
=WEAPONS=
+GENERAL+
-Weapon swap speed increased.
-Weapon projectiles can now activate hitscan only linedefs.
+SPITFIRE+
-Damage reduced slightly.
+BUSTER+
-L3 mini Buster shots now leave damaging trails during travel.
+TRIPLE WYVERN+
-The center shot now always fires with no spread. In addition, the other burst shots fire an additional projectile.
+BULLET-EYE MODE+
-New Bullet-Eye Mode tracks added.

=SUB WEAPONS=
+ENERGY CLAW+
-Revamped and deals more damage.

=ENEMIES=
-Non-damaging explosive effects added for some enemy deaths.

=MISC.=
-Fixed critical bug related to Riskbreaker Armor and Cycloptic Brutes.
-Item Capsules now drop 2 items by default. Scavenger's Leather Gloves increases this to 3.
Let me know if you come across any new problems!
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Bullet-Eye (A SNES/Retro Style Project) v0.9.2 - Now a P

Post by Hetdegon »

Loving the update. I didn't find any problem so far, but loving the new explodey death animations, the buster now feels much better, and the claw is actually usable.
In short, great work as usual.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Just wanted to give a quick update on what's arriving with the upcoming version:

What is that, you ask? Why, a primitive, brute-forced 2 weapon carry limit system, of course! This will just be a placeholder until I can get a proper system in, but for now, I hope this will tide players over. The one drawback is that you MUST find the powerups marked with the II to switch out your second slot weapon. I've already edited all of the weapons to have a slot two version. All I need to do now is to update the UI offsets, and change the Equipment Screen Panel to reflect these changes.

You can also see the beginnings of the Score Mode option, with the score count at the upper right. Currently, it is just basic and you only get points from kills, bonus points from Bullet-Eye Mode kills, and points from finding small items that appear only when Score Mode is enabled. I hope to expand that system to work with combos and special kills.

The update will also include some quality of life changes, balancing, and more improvements to certain weapons. New equipment is on the way too!

With all that said, I am hoping to have this out some time tomorrow, or Wednesday at the latest. Hope you will all enjoy what's to come!
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Interesting, so secondary weapons require special drops? I somehow can see it working.
I'll be sure to give it a run when it's done!
Mor'Ladim

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.3 - To Arms!

Post by Mor'Ladim »

v0.9.3 - 7/12/17
=WEAPONS=
+GENERAL+
-Placeholder 2 weapon carry system added. There are now weapon powerups marked with a II. Obtaining these will switch out your slot 2 weapon.
-Weapon powerup levels are now additive. Previously, picking up a L2 powerup while holding a L1 would not bring you up to L3.
+SPITFIRE+
-Damage slightly increased.
+SPREAD SHOT+
-Firing speed and damage increased.
-L3 effect replaced with new effect.
+CHASER MISSILE+
-Firing speed increased.
+CRUSH BLAST+
-L2 has new additional effect.
+HUNTING LASER+
+STORM GRENADE+
+VOLLEY SHOT+
+TRIPLE WYVERN+
-L3 has new effect.
-Fixed bug related to going from a L1 Triple Wyvern to L1 Repeater.
+BULLET-EYE MODE+
-New Bullet-Eye Mode tracks added.
-Added piercing attack in addition to the regular hitscan. This should bring Bullet Eye back up to the idea that it should be the best weapon available in your arsenal.

=SUB WEAPONS=
+GENERAL+
-Picking up a duplicate Sub-Weapon when at L3 will now grant Bullet-Eye Energy, as intended.

=ENEMIES=
-Cycloptic Brute speed, firing speed, and health slightly increased.

=EQUIPMENT=
-2 new Armor equipment items added.
-Riskbreaker Armor effect range slightly increased.
-Impact Chestguard damage and effect range increased.
-Sentry's Guard ammo requirement reduced to 8, down from 10.
-Enduring Protector effect occurrence slightly increased.

=ITEMS=
-Survivor bonuses increased for the standard pickup as well as the Recon Vest affected version.

=MISC.=
-Some HUD elements repositioned or changed in response to the weapon carry limit changes.
-All enemies can now drop any L1 weapon, regardless of their difficulty, but the chance for higher grade weapons is lower. Due to this change,
Weapon Capsules can drop any L1 weapon just as before, but now with an equal chance for all types to appear.
-Powerups can no longer be crushed and lost from lowering ceilings.
-Basic Score Mode added. Enable it from the options menu.
-Some pickup messages given detailed info in order to be more newcomer friendly.
-F1 Help screen added.
The drawbacks and info for the two weapon system are as follows:
-A different powerup must be collected to switch out your second weapon.
-You can have the same weapon on both slots, but gaining levels for one will not affect the other. They both count as separate weapons.
-To level up a weapon via a Weapon Enhancer, select the slot you wish to level before grabbing it.
-For the sake of an easy explanation, here is an example to describe this bullet point: Picking up a new Slot 2 weapon while you are currently using a Slot 2 weapon will switch you over to your Slot 1 weapon. I will change this in the next update.

Let me know if any text on the Equipment panel is misaligned, or any other problems arise! Hope you all enjoy this update! I will try my best to get new HUD graphics in for the remaining weapons that still use the Spitfire sprites (Quick Strike and Storm Grenade), as well as adding at least one new Sub-Weapon and more Equipment.

And here is an enemy I'd like to finish up in time for the next update:

Last edited by Mor'Ladim on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

Nice job man!
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Having two weapons is quite interesting, really opens up your options and makes some weapons more attractive, but the way it works definitely feels quite weird. Most pickups only replace your primary weapon, so at times while playing you pick something up wanting to replace the secondary but you replace your primary instead...this could be handled trivially in zscript, but if you are going to stay on DECORATE I don't think there's any easy workaround.

Still, it feels pretty good to have a rapid-fire weapon and a "grenade" weapon at the same time, they get a lot of synergy by covering up each other's flaws. This makes stuff like the claw a lot more useful as well, since you don't need to use the subweapon as a balancer for your primary weapon anymore.

Other than the weirdness on the pickup system (I fully recommend you move to zscript if you are willing, I could help with it if you need), it's a pretty neat update. Keep it up! I don't know why this mod doesn't get more love, it's definitely one of my favorites.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Hetdegon wrote:Having two weapons is quite interesting, really opens up your options and makes some weapons more attractive, but the way it works definitely feels quite weird. Most pickups only replace your primary weapon, so at times while playing you pick something up wanting to replace the secondary but you replace your primary instead...this could be handled trivially in zscript, but if you are going to stay on DECORATE I don't think there's any easy workaround.

Still, it feels pretty good to have a rapid-fire weapon and a "grenade" weapon at the same time, they get a lot of synergy by covering up each other's flaws. This makes stuff like the claw a lot more useful as well, since you don't need to use the subweapon as a balancer for your primary weapon anymore.

Other than the weirdness on the pickup system (I fully recommend you move to zscript if you are willing, I could help with it if you need), it's a pretty neat update. Keep it up! I don't know why this mod doesn't get more love, it's definitely one of my favorites.
Yes, it felt a little awkward to me at first, but I eventually got used to it, and now it's grown on me. For example, it adds a bit more challenge, as one can't just pick their two favorite weapons and stick with them for the majority of the time. But yes, I did it this way because my first few attempts went horribly awry! Keep in mind, this is still a placeholder, and I have someone who may be able to help code it properly. I definitely know nothing about ZScript, so I wouldn't be able to do it on my own!

ALSO, I made a mistake. I edited the Weapon Capsule spawners to grant Slot 2 weapons, but apparently I didn't finish up the enemy drop pools, so they only had a chance to drop Slot 2 Spitfires, Spread Shots, and Busters. That has been fixed now with this small update I just released, along with some offset adjustment for the equipment item flavor text. There's also a new option in this update which resets your Primary and Sub-Weapons to the starter items on each map start. Basically a pistol start!
v0.9.3b - 7/15/17
=WEAPONS=
+GENERAL+
-Fixed enemies not dropping all Slot 2 versions of weapons.

+TRIPLE WYVERN+
-Fixed Slot 2 version not firing L3 projectiles.

=EQUIPMENT=
-Fixed text offsets for a number of items on the Equipment Info Panel.

=MISC.=
-Added option to reset weapons upon each map start. Equipment is retained.
Thanks for the feedback and glad you are still enjoying it!
Shadez12

Re: Bullet-Eye (SNES/Retro Style Mod) v0.9.3b - To Arms!

Post by Shadez12 »

During gameplay, I found myself with 3 weapons, specifically after picking up a slot 2 Repeater while with the Hunting Laser and Wyvern

Return to “Gameplay Mods”